08-30-14 08:04 PM
152 ... 4567
tools
    What does that have to do with demand? Unless there is high demand for the phone it doesn't matter whether they are the only ones making a, "qwerty phablet with a touch sensitive keyboard, 32 gb of memory and a battery that size." It doesn't even matter if it has a built in phaser.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Maybe you haven't been paying attention lately? But it is pretty well documented now, especially here on CB, that Blackberry's target market has changed significantly, and their pricing structure reflects the reality of their business model and a lower-volume product in comparison to other smartphones. Have you read anything to that effect yet? They are not just a bunch of morons deciding to price higher purposely so they will ruin the company, you know.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 01:16 AM
    BB has been squeezed in a variety of ways getting to and through the BB10 rollout, and they simply are not the size of an Apple or Samsung, and thus their overall pricing reflects higher component cost, etc. CGK has posted to this effect before though that pricing is a red herring, I kind of believe that with BlackBerry. Look at Xbox and Nintendo right now. WiiU has not sold well at all, and yet is far, far less than Xbox One. And yet they are comparable video game tech, are they not? (without going into minutiae of spec differences) Well, why is that? There is so much else that factors into what and how people spend their consumer dollars; there are entire universities that study stuff like this.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-10-14 01:22 AM
    Maybe you haven't been paying attention lately? But it is pretty well documented now, especially here on CB, that Blackberry's target market has changed significantly, and their pricing structure reflects the reality of their business model and a lower-volume product in comparison to other smartphones. Have you read anything to that effect yet? They are not just a bunch of morons deciding to price higher purposely so they will ruin the company, you know.

Posted via CB10
    Not like they would have done that with the Z10, Q5, Z30, Q10 and the PlayBook.
    I mean, when they launched the Z30 the CEO wasn't even there .

Nice try but, the past proves you wrong... Ya know?

BB has been squeezed in a variety of ways getting to and through the BB10 rollout, and they simply are not the size of an Apple or Samsung, and thus their overall pricing reflects higher component cost, etc. CGK has posted to this effect before though that pricing is a red herring, I kind of believe that with BlackBerry. Look at Xbox and Nintendo right now. WiiU has not sold well at all, and yet is far, far less than Xbox One. And yet they are comparable video game tech, are they not? (without going into minutiae of spec differences) Well, why is that? There is so much else that factors into what and how people spend their consumer dollars; there are entire universities that study stuff like this.

Posted via CB10
    It worked for the first Wii though.
    In that console generation, nobody sold more than Nintendo.
    Now why the Wii U doesn't sell enough, is an interesting question.

But as far as I know, it's pretty much a scenario of price not mattering that much, because the overall product just isn't good enough.
    Which means that the Wii U just isn't cheap enough.

You're obviously looking for a fight and I'm really not in the mood.
    If you mean that I won't accept some false informations easily, then you are correct.

I never said BlackBerry reached their targets with the Z30, of course they didn't. I only said that networks and mobile phone shops stopped caring about BlackBerry users and underestimated the demand (here in the UK at least). Obviously it didn't affect them too much since that particular group of people wasn't that big in the first place.
    Again, no, they didn't underestimate the demand.
    If that would have been the case, then BlackBerry would have said something, or the carriers would have ordered far more than they did.
    If the carriers see no need to have and display BB10 phones then this is a VERY clear message, everybody should be able to understand.
    And yet again "opportunity costs".

It's completely ridiculous to insist on that point, because all the metrics we have, show that the demand surely hasn't been underestimated.

The Galaxy S5 was only released 3 months ago. That's why I said the depreciation figure is comparable. How much will an S5 be in 7 months from now?
    Wait, you start to say that the depreciation in price is the same, and when someone actually does the math, you try to save face through something like that???
    I think everybody can see and decide for themselves, why what you said was utterly wrong.
    Beginning from the Z30 having "almost the same price" since the launch (-34% though) and going to the S5 which accordingly to you, also depreciated a 34% even though it's actually 17%.

Nice try!

Apps are not such a big issue anymore with 10.2.1. Plus, many services will move back where they belong: the browser.

Posted via CB10
    When someone says THAT, we all know how seriously we should take him/her........
    But hey, at least this explains some other delusions in your posts.
    (and no, 10.2 doesn't solve anything. Not even 10.3 with the Amazon app store. Even Bla1ze acknowledged that and actually raised some really important points in an Email to BlackBerry)

Posted via CB10i
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 08-10-14 at 02:39 AM.
    08-10-14 02:17 AM
    Again, there's no need to call me delusional or to say that my comments are ridiculous. I don't want to get into a conversation like that.

I only said networks here in the UK underestimated the demand for the Z30, not elsewhere, not for all BlackBerry 10 devices.

When I said that the depreciation is comparable I was obviously referring to the decrease in value OVER TIME. The Z30 is 10 months old and the S5 is 3 months old. Comparing the absolute numbers and ignoring the above is childish.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 04:38 AM
    They could be targeting Martians. It doesn't matter. If the price is too high and no in line with demand it will drive people to another platform where they see better value.

08-10-14 08:59 AM
    People seem to forget that BlackBerry is concentrating on the business market. The passport won't be cheap and it shouldn't be. They are not trying to sell a **** load of these. They are trying to make money off each hand set. Margin not volume.

Don't get me wrong, they would love to sell a **** load but that's not what they are expecting.

My fingers are crossed that this phone is the start of a turn around in their hand set business.

BlackBerry was a business phone that caught on with consumers. That meant they didn't have to market the product. People found out about BlackBerry from word of mouth and from business users. There will be some marketing of the passport but it will be directed toward business people with the hope that the consumer follows because the product is different and better than the current batch of smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    100% agreed with your opinion bro..

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 11:05 PM
    They could be targeting Martians. It doesn't matter. If the price is too high and no in line with demand it will drive people to another platform where they see better value.

Passport Selling at 9.99?-mockit_11082014211518.jpg

Eazzy Peazzy
    MarsupilamiX and techvisor like this.
    08-11-14 11:15 PM
    People seem to forget that BlackBerry is concentrating on the business market. The passport won't be cheap and it shouldn't be. They are not trying to sell a **** load of these. They are trying to make money off each hand set. Margin not volume.

Don't get me wrong, they would love to sell a **** load but that's not what they are expecting.

My fingers are crossed that this phone is the start of a turn around in their hand set business.

BlackBerry was a business phone that caught on with consumers. That meant they didn't have to market the product. People found out about BlackBerry from word of mouth and from business users. There will be some marketing of the passport but it will be directed toward business people with the hope that the consumer follows because the product is different and better than the current batch of smartphones.

Posted via CB10

Business market never, never buys at full price. I'm involved in corporate IT purchases and let me tell you that our prices are far from listed prices. Only devices we are buying at full price are i-devices, and only if we are buying directly. If we are negotiating services and devices we often manage to get one of those for free.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-12-14 03:47 AM
    Business market never, never buys at full price. I'm involved in corporate IT purchases and let me tell you that our prices are far from listed prices. Only devices we are buying at full price are i-devices, and only if we are buying directly. If we are negotiating services and devices we often manage to get one of those for free.
    I am not directly involved in the the IT purchases, but I do know some things about them.
    And what really really shocks me, is that A LOT of people believe that a business is like a cow you can milk endlessly, through overpricing products.

It's just such a huge misconception that seems to be anchored in the minds of the clueless. And you can tell them how wrong they are a 100 times and they still don't get it...

Posted via CB10
    chalx, TGR1, early2bed and 2 others like this.
    08-12-14 04:15 AM
    I am not directly involved in the the IT purchases, but I do know some things about them.
    And what really really shocks me, is that A LOT of people believe that a business is like a cow you can milk endlessly, through overpricing products.

It's just such a huge misconception that seems to be anchored in the minds of the clueless. And you can tell them how wrong they are a 100 times and they still don't get it...

Posted via CB10

Right. Margins are much higher in consumer space, thus major turn from corporate to consumer. But this turn didn't left void in corporate, they also switched to consumer devices so I don't really see some empty space to fill. BBRY is in this situation because its been considers corporate. I just can't see how even more focus to corporate can bring any good?
    08-12-14 06:03 AM
    update on this post:
    Rogers price set at: $599.99 USD/ $649.99 CAD - no term.
    It's said to be featured In-Store.
    - via DHabkirk Design (C0001DB0D)

Pricing is set to be around $649.99 CAD, or $129.99-$149.99 On-Contract (Contract Pricing WILL vary)
    - info from DHabkirk Design

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 12:37 AM
    Same price as Q10 at launch. Expected something different?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 12:01 PM
    Same price as Q10 at launch. Expected something different?

Posted via CB10
    Specs are way better though. It's a true premium flagship.

I'm totally fine with this price. It's in line or even a bit less than every other company's flagship.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 06:45 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    This price is awesome as the Passport blows by the q10, z30 and other blackberry phones and has awesome specs and a futuristic design.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 and notafanboy like this.
    08-25-14 06:54 PM
    I've always been a touch screen guy with different android devices and most recently the z30 and I'm going to take a serious look at the passport. The specs are amazing with the best OS. The passport is looking to be the best phone on the market. I'm surprised that the passport is going to be selling at what I feel is cheap $650 on no contract.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 07:24 PM
    update on this post:
    Rogers price set at: $599.99 USD/ $649.99 CAD - no term.
    It's said to be featured In-Store.
    - via DHabkirk Design (C0001DB0D)
    So much love for this post if this is true!

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 07:28 PM
    I hope this isn't true, I won't purchase it at that price point. I'll add that I'm actually really excited about this device, like I was with the z30, but I will not spend more on a device that so far, does less, for me, than competing devices. $500 is definitely my max for the passport, and no, I do not partake in subsidized pricing.
    Well, I agree. BlackBerry needs to be aggressive with the costing. I personally would like to see it priced at 500 dollars. Look folks, BlackBerry needs to remove all potential barriers to entry and that includes price. If they do, then the passport will be a real success. Selling this phone to a niche audience isn't going to move the goal posts. BlackBerry has a winner, by God don't botch another launch for an extra hundred dollars. Get the phone into people's hand and the rest will take care of itself. Are you listening Mr. Chen.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-28-14 09:51 PM
    Well, I agree. BlackBerry needs to be aggressive with the costing. I personally would like to see it priced at 500 dollars. Look folks, BlackBerry needs to remove all potential barriers to entry and that includes price. If they do, then the passport will be a real success. Selling this phone to a niche audience isn't going to move the goal posts. BlackBerry has a winner, by God don't botch another launch for an extra hundred dollars. Get the phone into people's hand and the rest will take care of itself. Are you listening Mr. Chen.

Posted via CB10
    The thing is, it's obvious people no longer want a BlackBerry in their hands. With a marketshare of 0.5% the amount of buzz the Passport has created is a drop of water in the ocean.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 12:23 AM
    Don't think that's true at all. The smartphone market is so overrun with android it's like the plague all over again, though in digital format. The rumoured price of the passport is inline with most smartphones when bought outright. Simple as that.

Edit: I do see quite a few with blackberry 10 and legacy (bold/curve) BlackBerry smartphones, so you saying nobody wants a blackberry in their pocket/holster/hands really isn't all that true. Just have to keep the eyes on the phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-29-14 12:53 AM
    It CANNOT be more than $199 on contract. BlackBerry can't afford to do that. Needs to be even less than that
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    contract prices are down to the carriers not blackberry
    08-29-14 03:41 AM
    If they sell at 600 USD, I would definitely buy it at launch! If they sell more than 750 USD, I would wait for a price cut.
    08-29-14 04:29 AM
    I feel 499.99 USD would be a great price point for the passport. It would be less expensive then the iPhone 6 and the Galaxy Note 3/4 and the S5.

Now you would have folks who would look at it and maybe take a chance to try it out. Remember Blackberry no longer has the household name they had back in 2007.

They are in a rebuilding phase and if they think that corporate America is going to shell out some high price for a product from a company who has lost 95% of the market share they once had, your dead wrong my friends.

Companies now are only buying new capital equipment that's has value added labeled on it. Why do you think the BYOD programs where so widely accepted?

They are not doing this out of the goodness of their heart. It's because they are saving a ton of money by having the employees use their own personal devices.

Price the dam thing at 499.00 and see if you get some good response from both the corporate and consumer sector?

Price it at what the completion currently is or some stratosphere price and it will sit on the shelves and collect dust just like the z10 did!!!!
    08-29-14 05:50 AM
    I feel 499.99 USD would be a great price point for the passport. It would be less expensive then the iPhone 6 and the Galaxy Note 3/4 and the S5.

Now you would have folks who would look at it and maybe take a chance to try it out. Remember Blackberry no longer has the household name they had back in 2007.

They are in a rebuilding phase and if they think that corporate America is going to shell out some high price for a product from a company who has lost 95% of the market share they once had, your dead wrong my friends.

Companies now are only buying new capital equipment that's has value added labeled on it. Why do you think the BYOD programs where so widely accepted?

They are not doing this out of the goodness of their heart. It's because they are saving a ton of money by having the employees use their own personal devices.

Price the dam thing at 499.00 and see if you get some good response from both the corporate and consumer sector?

Price it at what the completion currently is or some stratosphere price and it will sit on the shelves and collect dust just like the z10 did!!!!
    I highly doubt that they will price it at 499 USD. I don't expect it to be lower than 650 USD.
    08-29-14 06:19 AM
    If they get the device and keyboard quality right this could be the best Blackberry AND the best Android device :-)
    08-29-14 06:37 AM
    contract prices are down to the carriers not blackberry
    Yes and no. If an OEM sells a phone to the carrier, at say, $800, the carrier wouldn't recoup all it's money over two years by subsidizing the phone at $200. So the carrier would not set the subsidized price at $200 (unless your name is Apple.) But, at the same time, a carrier could get greedy and sell a phone that's $400 off-contract for $200 on subsidy, and end up making good money over the duration of the contract.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-29-14 12:22 PM
152 ... 4567