08-30-14 08:04 PM
152 ... 23456 ...
tools
    BlackBerry should price the passport to win and be profitable not scrounge for change.

About androids.... it could have the specs of a next generation quantum computer and I still wont buy it. Its still an android. Besides the passport will be able to do anything a "bleeding edge" android can with Similar or superior performance (except google apps and google play services which I dont care for anyway)

The snapdragon 800 used in the passport compared to the 801 used in the latest androids have almost no performance differences.

Differentiate or Die
    08-05-14 02:03 AM
    So you think that BlackBerry can become the next De Deers and create demand by artificially lowering supply thereby driving up price?

Good luck with that!

Furthermore, the reason BlackBerry devices aren't in stores is because stores don't want to carry stock of a device that doesn't sell well. It doesn't look good on the books to have assets tied up in inventory.

"IF" you want a QWERTY...

Those numbers are very very small. They are mostly the BlackBerry faithful. They aren't a big enough niche to keep the company afloat.

BlackBerry needs to expand their market by offering the devices at a lower price to get them in people's hands. Once they are reestablished they can raise the price. Right now they need to have a low price to entice people to buy them.

I'm unhappy about the price so it proves BlackBerry can charge any price want. What a ridiculous comment.

The fact that nobody bought BB10 devices and that they were an unmitigated failure would say otherwise.

Just for the record:
    I don't care about the price. I get my BlackBerry devices free from a friend. My concern with the price is that it is inhibiting people from trying BB10 devices and therefore making it difficult if not impossible for them to recover.

The iPhone is successful so they can afford to charge a premium. They have a large user base that is happy with the product and will continue to buy them. BlackBerry does not.

The problem is that not many people want the Passport so it doesn't really matter that only BlackBerry is offering it.

The only company offering the DMC-12 was the DeLorean Motor Company. If you wanted one you had to get it from DeLorean. Just like the Passport and BlackBerry, DeLorean only a small niche wanted it and the company went under.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    There are many companies out there with just a handful of customers not going under. Niche products are never cheap because usually there is no competition.

Now let's look at the price. If the Passport will indeed be $650, that's $100 less than the 32GB iPhone. You get much higher specs, a lot more features and an innovative keyboard and yet you are still complaining.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 03:44 AM
    $650 is more than it would cost to buy two 16Gb OnePlus Ones. Or you could buy both a 16GB and 64GB OnePlus One for the same exact price. $650 for a BlackBerry is a rip off. I wish BlackBerry would do what OnePlus has done. Launch a device with great specs and software at a incredibly affordable price, but I don't think they ever will.
    On the other hand, you simply can't get OnePlus One that easily.

The OnePlus One is designed to blow your mind today so you will buy it a year later, at which point the price of the components it use will most certainly drop, even if for a few cents which will be big in the long run.

By the time OnePlus One is available for the masses, the price that it charges for its specs is just normal

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    spikesolie likes this.
    08-05-14 03:58 AM
    You said it right there DEMAND..
    The people who want this are not interested in the ocean of full touch screen devices out there and want the best of both worlds (to them) and that is the benefit of a large high res screen and full qwerty. If BlackBerry had competition in that niche then yes I totally agree they need to price much more aggressively but as anyone can do a search will find out there isn't anything like it out there. Hence they can charge what they want.

The reason people have so many great choices in the world of android is because they're all essentially the same. Sometimes price is dictated as much by consumer demand as it is by the amount of competition in the field or in this case a niche that BlackBerry has on lock down.

When full HD tv's first came out they were priced accordingly and the cost was high. But when you had a flood of others doing the same thing they then competed on price Now we are seeing it with 4k tv's.
    And for the record the high phone prices don't stop the average person from buying thanks to carrier subsidies in the states. The iphone goes all the way up the nearly $900+ for a 64gb version

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    The people who want this are a tiny niche. There isn't sufficient demand to justify that price. It really isn't that complicated. Clearly you didn't study business or economics.

08-05-14 09:27 AM
    There are many companies out there with just a handful of customers not going under. Niche products are never cheap because usually there is no competition.

Now let's look at the price. If the Passport will indeed be $650, that's $100 less than the 32GB iPhone. You get much higher specs, a lot more features and an innovative keyboard and yet you are still complaining.

Posted via CB10
    But BlackBerry is having financial troubles so the niche is too small.

08-05-14 09:29 AM
    But BlackBerry is having financial troubles so the niche is too small.

BlackBerry is in trouble not because of the current size of the qwerty market, but because they didn't release BlackBerry 10 in time. Qwerty fans had to compromise and moved on to iOS or Android. This is changing though, they trimmed out the fat and their revenue is now growing. Just because a company is in trouble it doesn't make its products less valuable. I'm buying a phone, not the entire company.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    08-05-14 11:15 AM
    BlackBerry is in trouble not because of the current size of the qwerty market, but because they didn't release BlackBerry 10 in time. Qwerty fans had to compromise and moved on to iOS or Android. This is changing though, they trimmed out the fat and their revenue is now growing. Just because a company is in trouble it doesn't make its products less valuable. I'm buying a phone, not the entire company.

Posted via CB10
    If people were QWERTY fans but we're "forced" to Android and iOS, then they would have moved back to the Q10. It didn't happen. The reason that it didn't happen is because many QWERTY fans ended up loving the soft keyboard that allowed for a much bigger screen size. I'm one of those people. I swore I'd never buy a touch device. I was given one and now I'll likely never go back. The difference is that my touch device is a BlackBerry and not another platform.

BlackBerry is in trouble because they didn't recognize the importance of touch devices.

BlackBerry is still in a tricky place. Revenues showed growth that quarter, but only due to the selling of various properties. They have no more properties to sell so I don't know if that revenue can be maintained.

BlackBerry has to grow its user base. I don't see them being able to attract people back from other platforms, which they are clearly satisfied with, then they need to offer a financial incentive for that change. People aren't going to risk buying a device that they don't know if it costs almost the same as stick with a platform they know meets their needs.

08-05-14 11:46 AM
    The people who want this are a tiny niche. There isn't sufficient demand to justify that price. It really isn't that complicated. Clearly you didn't study business or economics.

thank you for the reply but but clearly this opinion belongs in the armchair ceo thread haha!

08-05-14 12:59 PM
    thank you for the reply but but clearly this opinion belongs in the armchair ceo thread haha!

Perhaps. Lol

I'm just going by the number of people who want QWERTY devices in general, not the Passport specifically. I'm hypothesizing this will only appeal to people who already like QWERTY and that's a small group. I don't think the Passport is likely to draw people away from touch devices.

Of course this is all speculation at this point. And I'll be as happy as anybody if the Passport has broad appeal and can put BlackBerry back in the spotlight. In the end any BlackBerry that does well will ultimately mean that BlackBerry does well and will in turn be able to release the high end touch devices I want.

08-05-14 01:02 PM

Haha what are the two axis on that graph you are referring to?

BlackBerry controls the one that you didn't mention in this post.

Dominate the MCAT C0012A8A6
    spikesolie likes this.
    08-05-14 01:54 PM
    Haha what are the two axis on that graph you are referring to?

BlackBerry controls the one that you didn't mention in this post.

Huh? I have no idea what you are referring to. Production maybe?

08-05-14 04:05 PM
    On the other hand, you simply can't get OnePlus One that easily.

The OnePlus One is designed to blow your mind today so you will buy it a year later, at which point the price of the components it use will most certainly drop, even if for a few cents which will be big in the long run.

By the time OnePlus One is available for the masses, the price that it charges for its specs is just normal

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    I got my One Plus One, so I'm happy. Lol

Why do you reckon it is so hard to get a OPO? Could it be because they are selling them as fast as they can make them? With a phone like that, there will be far more demand than supply for a while. That's just how it works. Wouldn't it be nice if the Passport was the same way? I'd love for a BlackBerry to be hard to get because so many people were buying it. Instead, we see BlackBerry devices that are to get because no one is willing to stock a phone that has next to no demand.

BlackBerry needs a ultra high value device at launch for a change. Every BlackBerry since the PlayBook has followed the same failed strategy. Launch with too high of a price, scare off anyone who was interested and then drop the price substantially after most people moved on. I don't see how pricing the Passport high will work out any better than it did with their previous efforts, but hopefully they surprise me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android from my LG G3
    Last edited by Witmen; 08-05-14 at 05:16 PM.
    08-05-14 05:05 PM
    I got my One Plus One, so I'm happy. Lol

Why do you reckon it is so hard to get a OPO? Could it be because they are selling them as fast as they can make them? With a phone like that, there will be far more demand than supply for a while. That's just how it works. Wouldn't it be nice if the Passport was the same way? I'd love for a BlackBerry to be hard to get because so many people were buying it. Instead, we see BlackBerry devices that are to get because no one is willing to stock a phone that has next to no demand.

BlackBerry needs a ultra high value device at launch for a change. Every BlackBerry since the PlayBook has followed the same failed strategy. Launch with too high of a price, scare off anyone who was interested and then drop the price substantially after most people moved on. I don't see how pricing the Passport high will work out any better than it did with their previous efforts, but hopefully they surprise me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android from my LG G3
    Put simply, you need to have an invitation to even be eligible to buy one, oh and you have to be in the US. By the time OnePlus One is available world wide without any invitation, the price it asks for that specs is just normal. I do agree it is a good price for that specs today, but when it rolls out global?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-06-14 01:01 PM
    Way too much, as usual. BlackBerry need to stop pricing their phones in the same bracket as the flagship devices of other brands.

You're ignoring the reality that BlackBerry's component and production cost is likely 20-30% higher that Apple's or Sansung's

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    08-06-14 02:10 PM
    We can buy a LG G 3 for $600.00 . If passport will be more expensive than that I'll get the G3.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 02:37 PM

Did you? Feel free to bust out your supply and demand curves to suggest what pricing you think is correct. Make sure to footnote all the data used in your model. Maybe throw in a quick note about the price elasticity you've assumed for BlackBerry phones as well.

Posted via CB10
    alternator77 likes this.
    08-06-14 02:57 PM
    This device is definitely not intended for you then. My guess is they're targeting the business professional; the kind that doesn't mind dropping $600-$800 cash to have a business device that will keep them on point and making money.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has been using that line for years. I would have thought a zero as the first digit of their market share would have finally been enough to convince them that most people including today's very cost conscious business users will not over pay for a device that has a less than definite future ahead of it. No one will question if one of the top two hand set manufactures will still be heavily supported in two years. We want to buy BlackBerry. BlackBerry makes it so difficult for us to do that. Business is now a conservative world, cost sends up red flags everywhere not just for Joe college kid.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-06-14 02:58 PM
    BlackBerry has been using that line for years. I would have thought a zero as the first digit of their market share would have finally been enough to convince them that most people including today's very cost conscious business users will not over pay for a device that has a less than definite future ahead of it. No one will question if one of the top two hand set manufactures will still be heavily supported in two years. We want to buy BlackBerry. BlackBerry makes it so difficult for us to do that. Business is now a conservative world, cost sends up red flags everywhere not just for Joe college kid.

Posted via CB10
    I think what he is saying is a company with 1000 smartphone uses, will buy a cheaper device for the rank and file and maybe 10 people in the company will get the Passport.

Then again, I've seen a number of people post where they company has moved away from BlackBerry and are offering the 5S and the G5... neither are in the same price range of the tried and true Curves of yesterday. So I think where value is seen, enterprise will come up with the money.

What I don't get is coming out with the Passport when you don't really have a very good offering for the "rank and file". A couple of over a year old devices on their last legs (in phone years), and the promise of future devices like the Classic and Z3 LTE (which had better get a major upgrade).... just a little confusing with so much riding on BES12. It's really almost like Chen is trying to "take advantage" of the hardcore fans and make a quick 5 - 10 million off of selling a few 100 thousand of them. He has the data, he knows how many BBID's have at least one version of every devcie on the market.
    08-06-14 04:27 PM
    BlackBerry needs to go with a killer price, 499.00 first units then evaluate market response. Launching Passport with iPhone 6 was not smart.

via ? Z30
    08-06-14 05:05 PM
    Put simply, you need to have an invitation to even be eligible to buy one, oh and you have to be in the US. By the time OnePlus One is available world wide without any invitation, the price it asks for that specs is just normal. I do agree it is a good price for that specs today, but when it rolls out global?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    I'm starting to think that you know absolutely nothing about the OPO.

They are shipping the OnePlus One to far more countries than the U.S. right now. As far as I can tell, every country they support with the device is having units shipped right now. I've seen people from several different countries claiming to have received their phone from official channels. What in the world makes you think it is only available to the people in the U.S.?

Also, the invite system is only for the international version of the phone, which is mostly only needed for the folks who are in the U.S. the China version is readily available to anyone who wants it. If they didn't want to sell phones for such a cheap price, than why is the China version, which also has an insanely affordable price, so easy to obtain? Heck, I seen a picture from a reseller who had pallets of the China version of the OPO to sell to people in other countries. Sure seems like they are OK with selling their phone at such a low price if it is that easy for someone to buy hundreds of them.

Your theory that they are making it impossible to buy the phone while waiting for the price of parts to come down is just bonkers. They are selling the international version of the device as fast as they can build them, and the China version is abundant. This is a Chinese company, so it kinda makes sense that they are focused on their home turf first. The supply of the international version will catch up to demand eventually. It is estimated that they are currently giving out as many as 2,000 - 5,000 invites per day.
    08-06-14 07:45 PM
    Unless BlackBerry has finally caught on and prices significantly lower than people expect, say $499, most people will still say it's over priced lol.

(Personally, $600 is reasonable to me. Anything over $650 is pushing it.)

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 08:44 PM
    Unless BlackBerry has finally caught on and prices significantly lower than people expect, say $499, most people will still say it's over priced lol.

(Personally, $600 is reasonable to me. Anything over $650 is pushing it.)

Posted via CB10
    Funny enough, people here would complain even if it was priced at $399 unlocked and off-contract (I can see it now, "OMG, it's so much more expensive than the OnePlus One!!! What a total FAIL!!!!1!111!" lol).

$650 was what I ended up paying for my Q10 after taxes and fees over a year ago. $600 is also reasonable to me for a device that suits my work flow and business style.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 09:22 PM
    Huh? I have no idea what you are referring to. Production maybe?

Correct! Supply.

08-06-14 09:31 PM
    I'm starting to think that you know absolutely nothing about the OPO.

They are shipping the OnePlus One to far more countries than the U.S. right now. As far as I can tell, every country they support with the device is having units shipped right now. I've seen people from several different countries claiming to have received their phone from official channels. What in the world makes you think it is only available to the people in the U.S.?

Also, the invite system is only for the international version of the phone, which is mostly only needed for the folks who are in the U.S. the China version is readily available to anyone who wants it. If they didn't want to sell phones for such a cheap price, than why is the China version, which also has an insanely affordable price, so easy to obtain? Heck, I seen a picture from a reseller who had pallets of the China version of the OPO to sell to people in other countries. Sure seems like they are OK with selling their phone at such a low price if it is that easy for someone to buy hundreds of them.

Your theory that they are making it impossible to buy the phone while waiting for the price of parts to come down is just bonkers. They are selling the international version of the device as fast as they can build them, and the China version is abundant. This is a Chinese company, so it kinda makes sense that they are focused on their home turf first. The supply of the international version will catch up to demand eventually. It is estimated that they are currently giving out as many as 2,000 - 5,000 invites per day.
    Do not take my words then, ask OnePlus:

Passport Selling at 9.99?-img_20140807_090337.png

Passport Selling at 9.99?-img_20140807_090323.png

I wasn't aware that they have expanded outside of the US, however invite is still needed to buy one; their words, not mine.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as "international version" for OnePlus One. It's the availability. I never said they don't want to sell it at that price, they were willing to do so, they simply limit how many can be sold at that price when the components are at the current price

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-06-14 10:10 PM

I wasn't aware that they have expanded outside of the US, however invite is still needed to buy one; their words, not mine.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as "international version" for OnePlus One. It's the availability. I never said they don't want to sell it at that price, they were willing to do so, they simply limit how many can be sold at that price when the components are at the current price

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    Expanded outside of the US, so what you didn't even know that they were selling the phone in China before they ever sold it in the US? How could they expand outside of the US when they didn't even start by selling it there? They expanded from China to several countries, but they sold it first in China.

You still don't seem to understand that there is two versions of the phone, one that is made for China and the international version that is made for everywhere else outside of China. Why are you unable to understand that? I've already explained it to you once. Not to mention there is a thing called Google that can confirm the existence of two versions.

The China version is sold outright. It doesn't require an invite. Your screenshot is from oneplus.net, you know, where they ONLY sell the international version of the phone. The invite system is only for the international version, not the China version. Again, you can confirm that with Google.
    08-06-14 10:54 PM
152 ... 23456 ...