08-30-14 07:04 PM
152 12345 ...
tools
    What OnePlus has done or what OnePlus One has done? Sorry you lost me at the end there.
    OnePlus is the company. One is the model name of their first phone.

OnePlus made the One, a smartphone that offers amazing value for the price and that they are selling as fast as they can make. That is what OnePlus has done that I wish BlackBerry would do.
    08-01-14 01:08 PM
    ... I still think that it cost about $599 unlocked and $149 on contract.
    I'm from Eastern Europe but I guess carrier pricing model is similar in NA: In my country you can't get same contract price for all plans. Example - You can get HTC One M8 for approx one cent if you are using $85+ plan, but if you are using $30 plan then it costs around $500+

So, saying that phone will cost $149 on contract doesn't mean its automatically affordable. Its also related to cost of plan its binded. Right?
    08-01-14 07:21 PM
    So, saying that phone will cost $149 on contract doesn't mean its automatically affordable. Its also related to cost of plan its binded. Right?
    I don't know about Canada, but in the US, there's only one price on contract (unless there's a sale or something.) It does not vary based on the price you pay each month.
    chalx likes this.
    08-01-14 07:51 PM
    This is john chen's first flagship BlackBerry. Im sure he'll price it intelligently. At least for the markets he thinks is important.

Differentiate or Die
    08-01-14 08:44 PM
    Rumours, nothing but rumours... Just wait until blackberry releases it and sets a price. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Or better yet, put the money aside and then buy it. That is a smart move anybody should make. Outright over locking yourself in for two years is smarter.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    alternator77 likes this.
    08-03-14 12:45 PM
    Too expensive for something that uses 2 year old technology. I'll pass and pickup a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in September for the same price with leading edge technology.
    How do you figure 2 year technology? The keyboard alone has never been seen! Or do you think that doesn't count because nobody makes keyboards?

There is a cost for R&D. And good luck with your non BB10 phone. BlackBerry is not chasing customers like you. It is aware of that and hence setting up their cost structure to go with low volumes.

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK, web99 and spikesolie like this.
    08-03-14 02:11 PM
    $650 is more than it would cost to buy two 16Gb OnePlus Ones. Or you could buy both a 16GB and 64GB OnePlus One for the same exact price. $650 for a BlackBerry is a rip off. I wish BlackBerry would do what OnePlus has done. Launch a device with great specs and software at a incredibly affordable price, but I don't think they ever will.
    When you buy a car do you expect a certain price per hp? Or do you consider other things as well, like the size of the boot, fuel efficiency, the design, safety features, etc.? It's exactly the same with phones. Yes, the Passport will not be the fastest and cheapest phone on the market, but I'm sure it will have other qualities.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TheoRadu; 08-03-14 at 06:04 PM.
    08-03-14 02:37 PM
    Once they are BMW, now they have to try to become Hyundai. They have to play accordingly. On other hand, they can try to become Vertu.
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_finland_202 using Tapatalk
    08-03-14 04:53 PM
    The apple 5s is $650, and it is not even half the phone the passport is. So look at it this way, an all Glass phone that hasn't changed since the apple 4. Tiny screen, horrible phone reception, always plugged in, and you have to pay for almost every app. Hmm, I'll go with the passport.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 06:28 PM
    Once they are BMW, now they have to try to become Hyundai. They have to play accordingly. On other hand, they can try to become Vertu.
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_finland_202 using Tapatalk
    Actually, with the Porsche Design models they're hitting the luxury market, albeit at a lower level.

As I say, I would like to see them buy Vertu. Combine Vertu's jewelry-like craftsmanship with BlackBerry security and I think you'd have an irresistible combination for the wealth market.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    08-03-14 06:35 PM
    If anyone can show me a qwerty phablet with a touch sensitive keyboard, 32 gb of memory and a battery that size from ANY OTHER MANUFACTURERS IN THE WORLD. I'd love to see it lol!

They are not the same category. People who want a qwerty device have only one good option and that's BlackBerry. I wish people would understand that simple concept.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    08-03-14 09:38 PM
    The BlackBerry passport is a unique proposition in the smartphone market place and its not targeted to teenagers, hipsters, students and the like. So 650 is not preposterous.

Differentiate or Die
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-04-14 02:05 AM
    Pricing is set to be around $649.99 CAD, or $129.99-$149.99 On-Contract (Contract Pricing WILL vary)
    - info from DHabkirk Design

Posted via CB10
    Way too much, as usual. BlackBerry need to stop pricing their phones in the same bracket as the flagship devices of other brands.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    08-04-14 07:58 AM
    The BlackBerry passport is a unique proposition in the smartphone market place and its not targeted to teenagers, hipsters, students and the like. So 650 is not preposterous.

Differentiate or Die
    Being unique doesn't justify the price. The price is based on supply and demand. Since demand for BlackBerry devices isn't very high the Passport shouldn't be $649.

08-04-14 08:00 AM
    If anyone can show me a qwerty phablet with a touch sensitive keyboard, 32 gb of memory and a battery that size from ANY OTHER MANUFACTURERS IN THE WORLD. I'd love to see it lol!

They are not the same category. People who want a qwerty device have only one good option and that's BlackBerry. I wish people would understand that simple concept.

What does that have to do with demand? Unless there is high demand for the phone it doesn't matter whether they are the only ones making a, "qwerty phablet with a touch sensitive keyboard, 32 gb of memory and a battery that size." It doesn't even matter if it has a built in phaser.

JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    08-04-14 08:03 AM
    Being unique doesn't justify the price. The price is based on supply and demand. Since demand for BlackBerry devices isn't very high the Passport shouldn't be $649.

Yes, but the supply is even lower than the demand. BlackBerry is probably the only OEM releasing a qwerty smartphone in 2014.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 08:32 AM
    Yes, but the supply is even lower than the demand. BlackBerry is probably the only OEM releasing a qwerty smartphone in 2014.

Posted via CB10
    There is more supply than demand for all BB10 phones. So once again price isn't justified.

08-04-14 11:18 AM
    I paid 699.00 CAD six months after launch for the Z30...no big deal, it's a business expense. I paid 649.00 CAD for the Z10 the day it launched...no big deal, it's a write off (business expense) .

I will pay whatever they are asking for the Passport because...it's a business expense.

Eazzy Peazzy
    ALToronto and spikesolie like this.
    08-04-14 05:24 PM
    There is more supply than demand for all BB10 phones. So once again price isn't justified.

The absolute number of devices BlackBerry manufactured and never sold is irrelevant if you can't find them in stores. If you want a qwerty phone you only have one choice: BlackBerry. There is a small number of people who want to buy a product and only one company offering it. This means there is a limited supply (in terms of choice).

The fact that this makes you unhappy proves that you don't really have a choice and BlackBerry can charge a premium. You wouldn't complain about the price of the new iPhone 6 because you don't care about the product and you never considered buying one (just an example, I have no idea where you stand with regards to the iPhone 6). Plus there are many similar products, even from the same company that you could get for less if your budget is tight. However, you do want a Passport and the only company offering such a product is BlackBerry.
    08-04-14 07:22 PM
    The absolute number of devices BlackBerry manufactured and never sold is irrelevant if you can't find them in stores.
    So you think that BlackBerry can become the next De Deers and create demand by artificially lowering supply thereby driving up price?

Good luck with that!

Furthermore, the reason BlackBerry devices aren't in stores is because stores don't want to carry stock of a device that doesn't sell well. It doesn't look good on the books to have assets tied up in inventory.

If you want a qwerty phone you only have one choice: BlackBerry. There is a small number of people who want to buy a product and only one company offering it. This means there is a limited supply (in terms of choice).
    "IF" you want a QWERTY...

Those numbers are very very small. They are mostly the BlackBerry faithful. They aren't a big enough niche to keep the company afloat.

BlackBerry needs to expand their market by offering the devices at a lower price to get them in people's hands. Once they are reestablished they can raise the price. Right now they need to have a low price to entice people to buy them.

The fact that this makes you unhappy proves that you don't really have a choice and BlackBerry can charge a premium.
    I'm unhappy about the price so it proves BlackBerry can charge any price want. What a ridiculous comment.

The fact that nobody bought BB10 devices and that they were an unmitigated failure would say otherwise.

Just for the record:
    I don't care about the price. I get my BlackBerry devices free from a friend. My concern with the price is that it is inhibiting people from trying BB10 devices and therefore making it difficult if not impossible for them to recover.

You wouldn't complain about the price of the new iPhone 6 because you don't care about the product and you never considered buying one (just an example, I have no idea where you stand with regards to the iPhone 6). Plus there are many similar products, even from the same company that you could get for less if your budget is tight.
    The iPhone is successful so they can afford to charge a premium. They have a large user base that is happy with the product and will continue to buy them. BlackBerry does not.

However, you do want a Passport and the only company offering such a product is BlackBerry.
    The problem is that not many people want the Passport so it doesn't really matter that only BlackBerry is offering it.

The only company offering the DMC-12 was the DeLorean Motor Company. If you wanted one you had to get it from DeLorean. Just like the Passport and BlackBerry, DeLorean only a small niche wanted it and the company went under.

Last edited by crazigee; 08-04-14 at 07:52 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-04-14 07:31 PM
    Way too much, as usual. BlackBerry need to stop pricing their phones in the same bracket as the flagship devices of other brands.

I disagree. If they want to remain to be seen as a top of the line company in the enterprise space they need to be careful not to price too low. The Passport will be a flagship for Enterprise. It should be priced accordingly.

They already have the Z3 for the lower end market.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 07:37 PM
    I disagree. If they want to remain to be seen as a top of the line company in the enterprise space they need to be careful not to price too low. The Passport will be a flagship for Enterprise. It should be priced accordingly.

They already have the Z3 for the lower end market.

Posted via CB10
    Only if it sells!

They can't make themselves look premium by changing too much. They aren't a premium device and the price needs to be adjusted accordingly.

That would be a little like Tara crying to become a luxury car by changing the same as Mercedes.

The Z3 isn't in the developed market yet and its price when it does isn't known. The Passport shouldn't be low like and entry level phone but it shouldn't be as high as an iPhone or GS5.

08-04-14 07:50 PM
    What does that have to do with demand? Unless there is high demand for the phone it doesn't matter whether they are the only ones making a, "qwerty phablet with a touch sensitive keyboard, 32 gb of memory and a battery that size." It doesn't even matter if it has a built in phaser.

You said it right there DEMAND..
    The people who want this are not interested in the ocean of full touch screen devices out there and want the best of both worlds (to them) and that is the benefit of a large high res screen and full qwerty. If BlackBerry had competition in that niche then yes I totally agree they need to price much more aggressively but as anyone can do a search will find out there isn't anything like it out there. Hence they can charge what they want.

The reason people have so many great choices in the world of android is because they're all essentially the same. Sometimes price is dictated as much by consumer demand as it is by the amount of competition in the field or in this case a niche that BlackBerry has on lock down.

When full HD tv's first came out they were priced accordingly and the cost was high. But when you had a flood of others doing the same thing they then competed on price Now we are seeing it with 4k tv's.
    And for the record the high phone prices don't stop the average person from buying thanks to carrier subsidies in the states. The iphone goes all the way up the nearly $900+ for a 64gb version

08-04-14 10:34 PM
    The issue now is that blackberry isn't looking to sell to the average consumer they are selling this phone to businesses, health sector, governments. That's what gives them the power to sell at that price whether it's the right choice reminds to be seen though.

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK and alternator77 like this.
    08-04-14 10:54 PM
    Too expensive for something that uses 2 year old technology. I'll pass and pickup a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in September for the same price with leading edge technology.
    Now that's funny. Thank you.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    DYLANHABKIRK and spikesolie like this.
    08-04-14 11:12 PM
152 12345 ...