08-30-14 07:04 PM
152 1234 ...
tools
    Moved to news/rumours, ... speculations until it hits.
    07-31-14 09:27 PM
    I'm guessing it'll launch on certain carriers in the US around $150 with some type of rebate to make it either $100 or $50 after, like the LG G3. It won't be terribly expensive--on contract.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 09:58 PM
    if you're right, the phone will be a flop by all metrics.
    This device is definitely not intended for you then. My guess is they're targeting the business professional; the kind that doesn't mind dropping $600-$800 cash to have a business device that will keep them on point and making money.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    07-31-14 10:24 PM
    Definitely never intended this to be taken as fact, by any means.

That info was given to me, and relayed. Pricing is subject to change, and that post should be taken as speculative until proven otherwise.

Thanks for moving the thread.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 10:27 PM
    At around 600-650$ of contract? I ll but two instantly. Its less than z10 at first launch here.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 10:37 PM
    This device is definitely not intended for you then. My guess is they're targeting the business professional; the kind that doesn't mind dropping $600-$800 cash to have a business device that will keep them on point and making money.

Posted via CB10
    pretty sure I fit that bill. I administer 2 BES servers and 12 Exchange servers. I travel a lot. If I'm not the target, I have no clue who is. Right now I still have to carry around an Android device. I absolutely cannot get by on bb10 alone as it stands. That's why I say that price range is too high.
    08-01-14 01:24 AM
    Humor? Sarcasm fer sure...
    08-01-14 01:26 AM
    Nexus 5 is $350, though a tad dated now, that's the price it launched with. The LG G3 is ~$600 but if the Passport had the same price or more, I'd go with the G3, and I'd do it angrily too because I actually want a Passport. The thing is that they should be able to go lower now that they're using foxconn. Though I'm not sure if foxconn is making the Passport or not, BlackBerry's do not hold their value as well as other devices. That's a big thing for someone like me who always pays full price.
    Look at the pricing of the Q5 with horrible specs now they are launching a phone with top specs.

Do you honestly think BlackBerry will go lower then 600?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 02:01 AM
    pretty sure I fit that bill. I administer 2 BES servers and 12 Exchange servers. I travel a lot. If I'm not the target, I have no clue who is. Right now I still have to carry around an Android device. I absolutely cannot get by on bb10 alone as it stands. That's why I say that price range is too high.
    I don't think that you're being realistic in hoping it comes out around $500 off-contract, and comparing to Nexus phones is not a good example. First, BlackBerry just doesn't buy components in the volume that Samsung or LG do/can, so that alone adds to device cost. Second, there's some evidence to suggest that Google subsidized the device cost for Nexus devices, so that they reached the market at a lower price than they actually should have.

$650 is actually not bad. This is the BEST spec a BB phone has ever had, by far. It's even a reasonably current spec, if we've heard correctly.
    08-01-14 02:04 AM
    Right now I still have to carry around an Android device. I absolutely cannot get by on bb10 alone as it stands. That's why I say that price range is too high.
    I can totally get your reasoning for your specific situation and your hopes of a good price, but I am quite curious, what does Android offer for you currently that BB10 does not? Is it related to personal use or business use?
    08-01-14 02:27 AM
    Nexus 5 is $350, though a tad dated now, that's the price it launched with. The LG G3 is ~$600 but if the Passport had the same price or more, I'd go with the G3, and I'd do it angrily too because I actually want a Passport. The thing is that they should be able to go lower now that they're using foxconn. Though I'm not sure if foxconn is making the Passport or not, BlackBerry's do not hold their value as well as other devices. That's a big thing for someone like me who always pays full price.
    Foxconn isn't the manufacturer of the Passport. The Foxconn Z3 was intended to be a test across the board. I'm pretty sure the outcome was positive and BlackBerry will leverage Foxconn's scalability for lower end devices in the future.
    BlackBerry has always stated that the high-end devices will stay with BlackBerry throughout the entire process from design to hardware.

Expect every high-end BlackBerry to be costly and every mid- to low-end BlackBerry to be competitively priced.
    habs_fan, dbiv5445 and Skyforever like this.
    08-01-14 04:56 AM
    In all fairness, the price of the Passport won't be anything less than the $600 pricing, taking into consideration the features the device is coming with. So anyone intending to get one should be planning on spending above this.
    Well, it's all speculations and rumours but like I said, "in all fairness", it shouldn't be anything less.
    dbiv5445 likes this.
    08-01-14 05:11 AM
    In all fairness, the price of the Passport won't be anything less than the $600 pricing, taking into consideration the features the device is coming with. So anyone intending to get one should be planning on spending above this.
    Well, it's all speculations and rumours but like I said, "in all fairness", it shouldn't be anything less.
    The Passport will not be a bargain, that's for sure, and that is what comes with lower volumes. Also Blackberry is targetting business professionals rather than consumers. What's going to be very interesting is the pricing strategy under John Chen with the Foxconn production deal. There is a premium to be paid for a keyboard in today's world. Blackberry isn't chasing volume so I think the high specs mean they will chase a high price. Not a profound insight I realise, but low volumes need higher prices to make it worthwhile.
    08-01-14 06:27 AM
    Pricing is set to be around $649.99 CAD, or $129.99-$149.99 On-Contract (Contract Pricing WILL vary)
    - info from DHabkirk Design

Posted via CB10
    Too expensive for something that uses 2 year old technology. I'll pass and pickup a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in September for the same price with leading edge technology.
    08-01-14 08:06 AM
    Oh blackberry chooses contract pricing?
    Didn't know.

Posted via CB10
    Apple does
    08-01-14 08:11 AM
    Leading edge technology.
    And what are you going to do with this leading edge technology?
    08-01-14 08:23 AM
    Too expensive for something that uses 2 year old technology. I'll pass and pickup a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in September for the same price with leading edge technology.
    I didn't realize that snapdragon chip was two years old. The form factor and keyboard have been around forever though. Wait...I think that's wrong too. it's quite possible this whole post was inaccurate.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 08:24 AM
    Any idea on what could be the date passport is launching in september?.
    08-01-14 09:09 AM
    Any idea on what could be the date passport is launching in september?.
    No official date, no official price.

posted via my Q10SQN100-3/10.3.0.xxx (don't ask)
    bskkarthik likes this.
    08-01-14 09:11 AM
    $650 is actually not bad. This is the BEST spec a BB phone has ever had, by far. It's even a reasonably current spec, if we've heard correctly.
    $650 is more than it would cost to buy two 16Gb OnePlus Ones. Or you could buy both a 16GB and 64GB OnePlus One for the same exact price. $650 for a BlackBerry is a rip off. I wish BlackBerry would do what OnePlus has done. Launch a device with great specs and software at a incredibly affordable price, but I don't think they ever will.
    08-01-14 09:44 AM
    $650 is more than it would cost to buy two 16Gb OnePlus Ones. Or you could buy both a 16GB and 64GB OnePlus One for the same exact price. $650 for a BlackBerry is a rip off. I wish BlackBerry would do what OnePlus has done. Launch a device with great specs and software at a incredibly affordable price, but I don't think they ever will.
    And in Europe, if phone price in US is $650, then for some reason its priced around 650EUR which is around $870.
    08-01-14 10:49 AM
    OnePlusOne is very atypical. It's not realistic to expect most OEMs to follow that business model, particularly as I am not aware of long term viability data or freedom to operate outside its home turf. And you think getting hands on BBs are tough, the OPO is likely even worse.

BBRY cannot keep losing money on handsets but I don't think they enjoy the sort of price inelasticity that will accept premium pricing. Not until they can build in some more value in the brand and that takes time. Personally I really feel for the management team at BBRY. It's a really tough place to be stuck in.
    Thunderbuck and spikesolie like this.
    08-01-14 11:37 AM
    What OnePlus has done or what OnePlus One has done? Sorry you lost me at the end there.
    08-01-14 11:38 AM
    OnePlusOne is very atypical. It's not realistic to expect most OEMs to follow that business model, particularly as I am not aware of long term viability data or freedom to operate outside its home turf. And you think getting hands on BBs are tough, the OPO is likely even worse.

BBRY cannot keep losing money on handsets but I don't think they enjoy the sort of price inelasticity that will accept premium pricing. Not until they can build in some more value in the brand and that takes time. Personally I really feel for the management team at BBRY. It's a really tough place to be stuck in.
    I agree.... they need the higher prices to offset their higher cost to buy and build devices.

But simple truth is while we would all love it if the prices were lower.... the slashing the price of the PlayBook and the Z10 really didn't sell that many more devices. I know it did help to move inventory and that many bought those devices that would not have. But there has to be a demand for a product to begin with, the price will help make the sale, but if no one wants it to begin with ...
    08-01-14 11:45 AM
    With the specs that the Passport allegedly has - the phone is going to have a high price off contract. I still think that it cost about $599 unlocked and $149 on contract.
    08-01-14 11:52 AM
152 1234 ...