09-29-14 03:54 PM
78 1234
tools
    So will the next batch of BlackBerry Passports be at 599$ ?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:45 AM
    Not to bust your iBent bubble but do some math. 4 million represents 10% of apple's annual sales. BlackBerry sold about 7 million over the last 4Q. PP represents 30% of their annual sales. Looks to me BlackBerry didn't do too shabby.

Posted via CB10
    Burst my iBent bubble?

We'll have to wait and see. I just think it's a little early to be claiming victory for Passport.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 09-27-14 at 09:49 AM.
    09-27-14 09:38 AM
    Apple is a $600 billion company. They sold 10 000 000 devices in the first day or weekend.

BlackBerry is a $6 billion company. They sold 200 000 devices in the first two days.

Apple is 100x bigger than BlackBerry based on market cap. They sold 50x more devices.

I would say based on that, BlackBerry didn't do too bad.

If you look at percentages of the market, I'm sure BlackBerry didn't come off too poorly either.

I'm sure there are a lot of first dayers, but there are still a lot of people that I know, including myself, that are going to wait for some of the user reviews and actually have a look at the units before purchasing. A holster would be nice too. It looks like the Passport is doing alright and holding its own in this crowded launch month.
    The size of the company relative to the number of phones sold isn't the issue. What is the issue is the number that need to be sold for the phone to be profitable. I don't know what that number is, but you can be pretty sure it's more than 200,000.

JeepBB likes this.
    09-27-14 09:41 AM
    Passport is already seen as a success and it the most innovative smartphone of 2014.... there is nothing like that out there...

It's realistic to Expect one million to be sold in the first two weeks...via Amazon and Shop blackberry alone...

This is without carriers and advertising... impressive!!.....

... from my amazing Passport!

Posted via CB10
    Seen as a success by who exactly? And there has been advertising for the Passport.

Who has been calling it the most innovative phone of 2014? Crackberry loyalists?

sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-27-14 09:43 AM
    It's realistic to Expect one million to be sold in the first two weeks...via Amazon and Shop blackberry alone...

This is without carriers and advertising... impressive!!.....
    They are advertising. Saw a big print at (full page) in the Globe and Mail on Thursday or Friday. See online banner ads all the time. Just don't see the mainstream TV stuff we saw with Z10 and PlayBook. But it also doesn't have the distribution of those either.

As for what it will "hit" in two weeks, dunno. Launches from any platform typically don't sustain that initial spike from die-hards. For example, iPhone 6 sold 10 million it's first weekend. But you can be pretty sure they won't sell 10 million the second weekend, the third, the fourth etc. Things settle to a natural trend.

But as other's have said, it's really all about whether BlackBerry turns a profit on the phone and can continue making money on the hardware line to make more phones.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-27-14 09:46 AM
    Read somewhere that st 200,000 units, they've already past break even.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 09:57 AM
    Read somewhere that st 200,000 units, they've already past break even.

Posted via CB10
    Can't be true...

200k * maybe 250 profit/device = 50 million dollars.

that's not a lot of money for such a big company. I think it needs many many man years to get out such a phone.
    09-27-14 10:13 AM
    I took a look at the Passport yesterday. Very different. Very solid. Very nice.

BUT like many other folks out there the Passport is not yet available on my carrier. The rollout is ongoing. What's encouraging is its availability in the US at launch. Remember the Z10 rollout. How long was it from the New York launch and any American availability?

You can debate all you want about the significance of the numbers but one thing seems unassailable - BlackBerry is executing much better now that it was 18 months ago. I'm hoping better execution means improved sales. Oh, and by the way, I'll be added to the sales figures once my carrier gets onboard.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:39 AM
    The size of the company relative to the number of phones sold isn't the issue. What is the issue is the number that need to be sold for the phone to be profitable. I don't know what that number is, but you can be pretty sure it's more than 200,000.

Considering they were struggling to sell 2.4 million devices in an entire quarter (90 days) selling 1/12 of that in a single day is a good improvement for them. But I forgot who I'm talking to, of course it's all a bad thing. My mistake man. :-)

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Banco and Toodeurep like this.
    09-27-14 05:35 PM
    Considering they were struggling to sell 2.4 million devices in an entire quarter (90 days) selling 1/12 of that in a single day is a good improvement for them. But I forgot who I'm talking to, of course it's all a bad thing. My mistake man. :-)

Did I say it was a bad thing? As I recall I said it was too early to celebrate.

Sales on the first day don't mean they will remain at that level. Typically the people that buy a product on the first day are the brand loyalists. Let's wait to see if the Passport has broader appeal. I hope it does because the high sales will mean that they are more likely to design a flagship touch device.

Why don't you try reading what I actually say before posting a response. But I forgot who I'm talking to, of course everything about BlackBerry is perfect. My mistake man. :-)

allengeorge likes this.
    09-27-14 07:06 PM

Sales on the first day don't mean they will remain at that level. Typically the people that buy a product on the first day are the brand loyalists. Let's wait to see if the Passport has broader appeal. I hope it does because the high sales will mean that they are more likely to design a flagship touch device.

Why don't you try reading what I actually say before posting a response. But I forgot who I'm talking to, of course everything about BlackBerry is perfect. My mistake man. :-)

Apple's 10 million is for 1st weekend and that's for a large number of countries (although not everywhere)

Passports 200k was for US and Canada shop.blackberry.com and amazon for the 1st day launch only.

http://www.dailytech.com/BlackBerry+...ticle36618.htm

High level estimation says 850k devices to break even
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/2519...er-in-2-charts

I think with carrier launches, enterprise sales, launching in more countries that figure is achievable.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    09-27-14 07:28 PM
    Apple's 10 million is for 1st weekend and that's for a large number of countries (although not everywhere)

Passports 200k was for US and Canada shop.blackberry.com and amazon for the 1st day launch only.

http://www.dailytech.com/BlackBerry+...ticle36618.htm

High level estimation says 850k devices to break even
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/2519...er-in-2-charts

I think with carrier launches, enterprise sales, launching in more countries that figure is achievable.

Posted via CB10
    I certainly hope that is achievable. It isn't a huge number.

As I've said many times before, the Passport isn't my cup of tea (Long Island). But, I still hope it succeeds because I want BlackBerry to succeed.

09-27-14 08:03 PM
    How can someone justify paying that much?
    Easy...it's a write off

Eazzy Peazzy
    09-27-14 08:30 PM
    Any links? How can someone justify gouging a consumer so much?
    It's an eBay seller, they, like all sellers, can ask whatever they want to...getting someone silly enough to buy is another matter. Classic example was a UK pound coin selling for $800US....standard coin...but a bidding frenzy happened...value of coin today? One pound.

Z30 144GB
    09-27-14 09:17 PM

REALLY?? You mean to tell me, that phones don't continue to sell at the same rate forever after their launch?? OMG!!

09-27-14 09:55 PM
    [INFO]
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and dont get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If youre on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they wont be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry![/INFO]
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    09-27-14 10:32 PM
    Seen as a success by who exactly? And there has been advertising for the Passport.

Who has been calling it the most innovative phone of 2014? Crackberry loyalists?

I saw an article that said they needed to sell 765k approximately to turn a profit.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 11:09 PM
    Actually the numbers are more favorable towards BlackBerry. considering that BlackBerry sold more than 200,000 over two days on only two on line stores, Amazon and shop BlackBerry. This does not take into account any of the carrier stores Selfridges or any other stores, so you would have to assume that they would have sold substantially more photos than the 200,000 phones than people are estimating and the 10,000,000 iPhones sold were over a 7 day period not a 2 day period. Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 12:13 AM
    We also need to keep in mind the majority of countries don't even have the option of buying yet. Here in good ol' Europe it seems only guys over in the UK are able to buy it. Neither France, Italy, Germany or Switzerland (list goes on of course) have shops who got any stock yet.
    Then of course there is Dubai which is also available, while I heard BB is quite strong there, I don't know how the stron the market in terms of unit sales is.

Canada and US are also crippled, especially the US without any carrier stocking the Passport right now and ShopBlackBerry/Amazon without stock. Canada also still misses Rogers afaik, they are said to carry the white version exclusively for example.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    09-28-14 04:11 AM
    Need MOAR
    stock A.S.A.P. !!!

The world is Passport starved, and there is
    huge pent-up demand...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    09-28-14 04:53 AM
    Quite simply it's been a few years since BlackBerry had a phone that evoked this much interest and sold this well on release.

It's good, simple as that. Comparing it to iPhone sales is crackers, it isn't in the same solar system and never could be.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 05:15 AM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Back in stock now... shop blackberry. com

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 08:50 AM
    Still in backorder

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 09:03 AM
    Burst my iBent bubble?

We'll have to wait and see. I just think it's a little early to be claiming victory for Passport.

Victory? Not what they're shooting for. Success? It's already met their expectations for the year. So yes, it is a success.

Let's hope it has some legs though.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:11 AM
    I saw an article that said they needed to sell 765k approximately to turn a profit.

Posted via CB10
    Can you share it?
    09-28-14 10:21 AM
78 1234