12-06-13 01:31 AM
58 123
tools
    The WebOS team (upto and including the Vice-president in charge of the business unit) found out the plug was pulled via a (leaked) press release while they were at a developer's conference - this will go the same way, the rank and file will find out with the rest of us.
    12-02-13 04:13 PM
    I bet.....
    12-02-13 06:01 PM
    Not sure I understand that as taking down the for sale sign only addresses one part of the "we are not dead yet" argument. There is still pretty good speculation on why in the end they did not sell the company, and the sales evidence today released doesn't help either.

On Cnbc today they again mocked the message and BlackBerry's mind share here in the States continues to dwindle. The two major GSM providers do not even offer the flagship phone, and try to find the Z and Q10 in your local store.

Chen needs to address this in the same style he did in this letter is my point on every major business channel as soon as possible. Every piece of credible news points to another bloody quarter coming and another round of "they may not be dead, but the bleeding continues..."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using CB Forums mobile app
    12-02-13 06:22 PM
    For a company that is scrapping bb10 they sure seem to be working hard on making it better.

Sent from my Z30
    My thoughts exactly. The most positive thing to come out of the Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1055 leak was the new runtime. It shows some level of commitment and future planning on the part of BlackBerry.

Posted via my Z10 (BB#22) featuring Channel C0031BD24
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-02-13 07:23 PM
    Gotta go with CGK on this one, though to be fair, I don't often have much to say about BB that's positive.

The letter says zilch about BB10. Think carefully about whether or no BB10 can exist as a standalone OS. Consumer interest is zero or close to it...we're 10 months in, and if the big name apps haven't even been announced yet, we're looking at 6-9 months for one to actually appear. BB doesn't have that kind of time, and that's assuming that Instagram or Netflix will turn the tide on their own.

Absolutely no OEM has even expressed serious interest in licensing BB10 as an OS. We'll never know what Lenovo's plans for BB10 were, since that deal was apparently blocked.

Next is manufacturing costs, another area where BB can't compete. The Z10 was released with Galaxy S3 (2012) specs and the Z30 with Nexus 4 (2012) specs. Yes, specs don't matter, but that's how sales reps at Best Buy, Carphone Warehouse and basically everywhere else differentiate between phones when describing them to customers.

Compare that to companies like Samsung, who not only make their own screens, camera sensors, memory chips and processors, they put in big enough orders to companies like Qualcomm that ensure they are priority customers who get the next-gen Snapdragon chips before anyone else. Because of bulk buying, they get these chips at a lower unit cost as well. HTC tried to launch the One with Snapdragon S600 before Samsung launched the GSIV, but ran into supply issues for the S600.

Even the rising Chinese competitors like ZTE and Huawei can rely on competent local chip designers like MediaTek to mass manufacture decent quality smartphones very cheaply, and they're getting better each generation.

Compare that to BB's pricing structure, which clearly reflects how little leverage they have amongst their suppliers.
    $700 for the Z10 at launch.
    $600 for the Q10.
    $350 for Q5 (this is a Nexus 5/Moto X price point BTW)

It's not realistic to think that BB can continue with the Apple-esque vertically integrated production model. BB no longer sells in the volumes necessary to make that sort of structure economical. The company's history of horrible marketing and tone-deaf developer relations doesn't do it any favors either.
    cgk, anon1727506, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    12-02-13 08:24 PM
    Maybe they're planning to re-brand BB10. I strongly doubt it will die. It's too good.
    Its Spade likes this.
    12-02-13 08:49 PM
    Omg people... really? Why would they say BB10!? They've already said they're done with BBOS after that last headset. BB10 is their current system. Do they have to provide every little bit of minutiae in everything they release??

I guess they do, because some people are going to be combing over it with a microscope looking for any little thing they can find to cry out about. This really has reached the point of ridiculousness.

Not too long ago, people were saying I must be wearing a tinfoil hat because I didn't think BlackBerry was being sold for parts. Guess what? The tin foil has shifted hands...er...heads. And I gotta say, I wore it better than they are.

#IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    Its Spade and habs_fan like this.
    12-02-13 08:55 PM
    Omg people... really? Why would they say BB10!? They've already said they're done with BBOS after that last headset. BB10 is their current system. Do they have to provide every little bit of minutiae in everything they release??

I guess they do, because some people are going to be combing over it with a microscope looking for any little thing they can find to cry out about. This really has reached the point of ridiculousness.

Not too long ago, people were saying I must be wearing a tinfoil hat because I didn't think BlackBerry was being sold for parts. Guess what? The tin foil has shifted hands...er...heads. And I gotta say, I wore it better than they are.

#IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    Right you are brothA!
    12-02-13 09:10 PM
    The WebOS team (upto and including the Vice-president in charge of the business unit) found out the plug was pulled via a (leaked) press release while they were at a developer's conference - this will go the same way, the rank and file will find out with the rest of us.
    This isn't Web os. Thank you.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-02-13 09:34 PM
    Straight copy/pasta. The letter, as it appears here, appears the same way on the source page.

http://i.imgur.com/QHDFBZnl.jpg

Did you even check the source page?
    Yeah, BlackBerry sent me the letter. It wasn't formatted like that. Perhaps it was my email format. But I see what you did from your source. Apologies if my comments came across as a reproach. They weren't meant to. Simply trying to give helpful hints. I can see now it wasn't necessary.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 10:40 PM
    So you explain it then - BB10 is so critical to the future of BBRY that in the only three public letters written by the CEO he has never mentioned it once? Not once, seems an odd oversight if the future is based around BB10 devices.
    what other devices would it be based around? Android? why waste the time to recode Android to give it that BlackBerry like security and feel. how long would it take them to dismantle all the Android code in order to build its security up and give it the BlackBerry efficiency. at this point BB10 is already in the works why waste all that money and just abandon something that is done.

to me it makes no sense to abandon the BB10 platform after so much work has gone in to its structure and it doesn't need many more tweeks . you may be right but i don't see this from an accounting standpoint being the best thing to do. it'll cost more to recode Android then it will be to continue updating BB10, and just continue to support multiplatform MDM
    12-02-13 10:43 PM
    In some ways yes it would make some sense to scrap BB10. Think about it.

I hope they don't scrap it though. But he has not said one word about it.

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    it doesn't really though why would it make sense to scrap it. after probably billions in R&D and scrapping it to spend more money to build or recode and rebuild somethign else to work with your structure when BB10 simply just needs updates.

makes no sense to switch to Android when they want to focus more on enterprise and the prosumer market just to have access to Googles services and apps.

it just diesn't make sense to me for them to throw all that money away
    12-02-13 10:48 PM
    Just before it gets said.. talk is cheap. Show, don't tell. Proof is in the pudding. And other such cliches.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    The actual clich is " the proof of the pudding is in the eating!"

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-02-13 10:56 PM
    For a company that is scrapping bb10 they sure seem to be working hard on making it better.

Sent from my Z30
    Are they? I don't see it, almost one year later and not that many improvements from the launch OS, but hey, at least email seems to work now.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-03-13 04:11 AM
    Are they? I don't see it, almost one year later and not that many improvements from the launch OS, but hey, at least email seems to work now.

Posted via CB10
    what are you smoking when you say not that many improvements
    12-03-13 08:08 AM
    it doesn't really though why would it make sense to scrap it. after probably billions in R&D and scrapping it to spend more money to build or recode and rebuild somethign else to work with your structure when BB10 simply just needs updates.

makes no sense to switch to Android when they want to focus more on enterprise and the prosumer market just to have access to Googles services and apps.

it just diesn't make sense to me for them to throw all that money away
    It has been discussed and discussed here.. Android isn't making any OEM profitable, expect for Samsung at this point.

IMHO I see BlackBerry abandoning the consumer hardware market and focusing on enterprise only - still be able to buy them, they just won't be marketing device and being competitive with consumer devices. They will incorporate direct APK features into BB10 (as we have seen) to allow corporate customers access to the TOOLS/APPS that they need (and that BBW can't provide), while providing the management and security that these customers will be will to pay more for.

For consumers the hope will be that BBM will become a MAJOR player, and maybe people will be willing to pay more for those "prosumer" devices to get a native and full featured BBM experience...
    12-03-13 08:26 AM
    Finally someone from BlackBerry has the balls to tell it like it is. BlackBerry is untouchable in the enterprise sector so stop listening to all the lies. Mr. Chen has my vote of confidence.
    Curiously, we are in the enterprise sector and we read it as "if someone has to tell you they are or aren't something, then they almost certainly are the opposite". It really amounted to Jedi hand-waving, in our perspective.

No doubt many others felt the same. That's a dangerous message to send.

-CFOT, JR
    bbq10l and JeepBB like this.
    12-03-13 08:31 AM
    He means it hasn't turned into BBOS

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    m1a1mg likes this.
    12-03-13 08:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-master-change-log

Hmmmm, Nope. Nothing new happening since the beginning. Let's all go home now...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-03-13 08:49 AM
    Curiously, we are in the enterprise sector and we read it as "if someone has to tell you they are or aren't something, then they almost certainly are the opposite". It really amounted to Jedi hand-waving, in our perspective.

No doubt many others felt the same. That's a dangerous message to send.

-CFOT, JR
    This does seem to be general interpretation of the letter, outside of this forum.
    bbq10l and JeepBB like this.
    12-03-13 09:09 AM
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-master-change-log

Hmmmm, Nope. Nothing new happening since the beginning. Let's all go home now...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    Most of those are things we considered to be missing at launch, is it an improvement if I had one function in BBOS then lost it on BB10 and some many months later got it back?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-03-13 09:44 AM
    Fixing what was missing is not an improvement. So far I only see cosmetic improvements, nothing drastic.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 09:46 AM
    Think about it logically... does it make sense to you... to scrap BB10? just because he didn't mention it directly doesn't mean anything with its development... do you know how many software engineers and hardware engineers would be pissed and most likely quit if BB10 was scrapped ???

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    I scrapped dinner, this morning. I wouldn't call it BB10, but don't go in the bathroom for at LEAST 30 to 45 mins.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 10:28 AM
    Yes BB10 handsets are so important that he has written three letters and in each he avoids completely mentioning the words BB10 - so yes BBRY will be involved in managing handsets but you'd have to be willfully blind to see that it's unlikely to be based around BB10. These things are vetted carefully by lawyers, it avoids the word BB10 because my guess is that he plans to announce the killoff at the EC and he can't or will not realise that material fact in the quiet period before the EC.
    Reaching at its finest. You'd be better at pulling a rabbit out of a hat, then pulling this nonsense out of your...

"Handsets" only need defining to fools. Not calling you one, but your comment was the dumbest pile I've read this morning.
    12-03-13 10:53 AM
    The actual clich� is " the proof of the pudding is in the eating!"

Posted via CB10
    Well, if we must be pedantic about it, yes that's the actual original saying, but on this side of the atlantic at least no one says it that way - so the cliche, or overused expression, can rightly be "the proof is in the pudding"
    potatoguy likes this.
    12-03-13 10:57 AM
58 123