11-14-13 07:26 PM
41 12
tools
    He will only make his money if the company does not go bankrupt in 3 to 5 years.
    11-13-13 05:09 PM
    The difference between Chen and Heins is that Chen has a damn good track record to show off what he's capable of. Sybase has had tremendous growth under his leadership. Chen seems way more amiable and much more customer oriented than Heins.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    11-13-13 05:24 PM
    Same type of vague talk from Chen as we are used to. What is the strategy in plain English? Can I expect a major OS update for BlackBerry at this time next year? Why no mention of BB10. The strategic board decision has happened and we are on our way now. There is no announcement or date we have to wait for anymore yet the news is as vague as if there was.
    CEOs rarely speak plain english, especially ones of a troubled company. They need wiggle room.
    11-13-13 05:35 PM
    I know how you feel but for now I give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I'm willing to give John Chen six months to deliver substantial "moving forward" outcomes. Whether BlackBerry has six months is another matter entirely.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    11-13-13 05:45 PM
    The difference between Chen and Heins is that Chen has a damn good track record to show off what he's capable of. Sybase has had tremendous growth under his leadership. Chen seems way more amiable and much more customer oriented than Heins.

Sounds exactly like what was said about Thor on these here boards.

The job of the CEO when public facing: Deflect the negative and accentuate the positive.

Sort of like a magician. However in this case is not all in the misdirection of the hands, its the misdirection of the mouth.

Don't watch the mouth, less you be fooled again. Watch the results.
    nathan3d likes this.
    11-13-13 05:48 PM
    The letter does talk about leveraging their current assets...kind of opens up all the old discussions about monetization of BBM, NOC etc, etc. Going to be interesting.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 05:48 PM
    What do you people expect from his first message - answers to all your questions, doubts, anxieties, skepticism? How many of you who have made comments have ever worked in executive positions? (and before you ask I spent more than a decade in a corporate executive suite). What would you have said to people?

Sure, there is not a lot of time to turn things around. We all understand that. But hey, it is going to take some time. They've given themselves 6 quarters, not 6 days, to find solutions and fix BlackBerry. The new CEO hasn't even had enough time to earn your criticism yet. That day may come but heck, it's not today.

Posted via CB10
    I thought exactly that back when Thor took over.

Nah....twice bitten....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    11-13-13 06:52 PM
    What do you people expect from his first message - answers to all your questions, doubts, anxieties, skepticism?
    That is exactly my thoughts, The man has to say something and regardless of the performance of the others who held the position he at the very least deserves the benefit of the doubt as well as the time and space to execute something.

Hell, even the new guy at McDonalds gets a period of probation
    clickitykeys and qwerty4ever like this.
    11-13-13 06:57 PM
    I think they have like 6 quarters to turn this around. Call it 500 days to have BBRY going in a 180 degree course. 1.5 years is forever in technology land. John may be the man for the job. Only time will tell. I've got snacks and a Z10 and BB10 has the power to be a powerful OS. Who will make the handsets? Will the apps continue to come? Will money be made and the company thrive? Stay tuned...
    11-13-13 07:00 PM
    BYOD, new device strategy, BBM, QNX .... no mention of BB10. Sounds like the next BlackBerry phone will either be focused on enterprise only and/or an Android powered BlackBerry phone. Hope they can put many of the BB10 good features into that device.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 09:46 PM
    And if he didn't say something, the criticism would be that he is out of touch, only in it for the money, sitting on his ****, blah blah blah.

The negativity even by those who are so-called Blackberry loyalists is rather pathetic. Says a lot about the people posting. Nothing about Chen. When you want to see negative things - there is never a shortage.

The guy has been on the job for a week and you expect a detailed plan of what he's going to do? lol. Get serious. He is reaching out to the troops. He's done it a few times already. That is good. He needs to try and get morale up. Obviously actions speak much louder than words, but until he comes up with the vision for the future and the steps to implement it, it's better than remaining silent.

I'm so tired of the negativity directed toward Blackberry. I have a Z10. I think it's terrific. The upgrades have been excellent and 10.2.1 looks to be another huge step up. Each time they release these upgrades it's like having a brand new phone.

Tell you one thing...Blackberry stands a much better chance of turning things around with a guy who thinks outside the box like Chen than a stooge like TH. Promoting TH - who was there during the major decline BEFORE becoming CEO - to the CEO position was nuts. He was part of the problem - not the solution.

Not sure if Chen can pull this one off, but I am confident of one thing: he will give it a solid try. Give the guy a chance!

But I'm sure every single thing he does or does not do in the coming months will be quickly met by extreme criticism by the armchair Internet geniuses who have never run anything - other than their mouths.
    alan510 and drknobs like this.
    11-13-13 10:55 PM

Yes, he managed to turn things around for Sybase. But then too... He had the luxury of time on his side. Unless I'm mistaken, it took several (several meaning 12-13) years to turn that company around.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 11-14-13 at 01:12 AM.
    kevinnugent and JeepBB like this.
    11-13-13 11:02 PM
    Why "should I be excited too"??
    11-14-13 01:06 AM
    That is exactly my thoughts, The man has to say something and regardless of the performance of the others who held the position he at the very least deserves the benefit of the doubt as well as the time and space to execute something.

Hell, even the new guy at McDonalds gets a period of probation
    Because he says something, doesn't mean we have to give him some benefit of the doubt. At this point it is on BlackBerry to prove that they can turn things around. They don't have a lot of time at this point, they have lost the consumer market... there is no doubt about that. But the enterprise market - how much of that do they really have right now? How much will they have by the end of the year? Once they lose customers to another MDM solution and other devices, what are the chances that they will ever win them back? Those are the people that Mr Chen needs to be talking to and convincing that BlackBerry is going to be here and that any products purchased from BlackBerry will be supported. I think a LOT of companies have been holding off on making a decision about MDM for a year now... it is time to make one, and BlackBerry is making it too easy for CIO and CFO to go a different route.

Maybe it is too soon for Mr. Chen and the new board to have a PLAN. I'm just saying that his open letter was pretty much a waste of time, he said nothing....
    11-14-13 07:29 AM
    It's like deja vu all over again.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-14-13 02:02 PM
    It's like deja vu all over again.
    The rhetoric ...yes, yes it is.
    11-14-13 07:26 PM
41 12