09-28-15 04:50 PM
292 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Any thoughts on the website now that it has some material, it looks like what was already announced?

Posted via CB10
    No new information on the site, but BlackBerry's certainly adding some fuel to the fire by creating a dedicated page to tout the security of Android combined with BES.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-08-15 08:21 PM
    Google Play Services are owned by Google. Android is owned by Google. The OHA was founded by Google, and is largely Google's way of controlling Android by granting/withholding access to Google Play Services.

What are OHA members going to say if Google and BlackBerry have an agreement outside of the OHA, giving BlackBerry access to Google Play Services without having to submit to the same standards as other Android OEMs? Well I'd imagine many of them could withdraw from the OHA and demand their own separate negotiations for Google Play Services. It would likely needlessly complicate Google's business with regards to Android and Google Play Services.

Again, it is just highly improbable that Google would grant BlackBerry some sort of preferential treatment, over long standing OHA members.
    Google owns and controls the Android app ecosystem not Android itself as its an open source OS. They decided long ago the money to be made is in the apps not hardware. Google wants access to enterprise and government customers who demand top notch no compromising security, something Google has been unable to provide, if they do cut a deal with BlackBerry using its Hypervisor technology they can then turn around and offer this to all device manufacturers to license for use a "secure android" OHA agreement. if you look at the recent domain name filings BlackBerry has made it points to IMHO something like this happening.

Loving my Passport!
    07-08-15 08:25 PM
    Google owns and controls the Android app ecosystem not Android itself as its an open source OS. They decided long ago the money to be made is in the apps not hardware. Google wants access to enterprise and government customers who demand top notch no compromising security, something Google has been unable to provide, if they do cut a deal with BlackBerry using its Hypervisor technology they can then turn around and offer this to all device manufacturers to license for use a "secure android" OHA agreement. if you look at the recent domain name filings BlackBerry has made it points to IMHO something like this happening.

Loving my Passport!
    Why would Hypervisor be more secure for Google than Android for Work with BES12 integration. BB just made an announcement regarding that for BES12 v12.2. No need for Google to do what you propose to make noise in enterprise.
    07-08-15 08:31 PM
    QNX and Hypervisor is device based. Android for Work and BES 12 are server based Device Management Systems.
    07-08-15 08:48 PM
    BB10 is needed for enterprise ... check
    Android is needed if they want the consumer ... check

They can actually do both.

What's the confusion?
    07-08-15 09:33 PM
    I see all this talk about Hypervisor, but how is Hypervisor supposed to present a significant boost to Android security, anyhow? To the best of my knowledge, Hypervisor's biggest security advantage comes from being able to segment mission-critical functions into one OS, and less critical ones into another. This advantage disappears if you're only running one OS on top of it - which they would most likely need to in order to receive Google's blessing.

From what I've gathered, I don't think you'd even be able to prevent rooting with Hypervisor, not that Google has any reason to be particularly interested in that. Android in its entirety would just be running within a completely redundant virtual machine.
    07-08-15 09:44 PM
    BB10 is needed for enterprise ... check
    Android is needed if they want the consumer ... check
    They can actually do both.
    What's the confusion?
    BES 12.2 is designed to allow BlackBerry to provide a device management and security solution to enterprise customers regardless of whether their employees are using BB10, IOS, Android or Windows phones.

BlackBerry knows that any phones they sell to their enterprise customers need to be able to run the business apps they want to use. That comes down to providing a phone that will run the Android apps their customers need without the limitations of the current versions of BB10.

As for us consumers, we're just a side interest.
    07-08-15 09:53 PM
    I see all this talk about Hypervisor, but how is Hypervisor supposed to present a significant boost to Android security, anyhow? To the best of my knowledge, Hypervisor's biggest security advantage comes from being able to segment mission-critical functions into one OS, and less critical ones into another. This advantage disappears if you're only running one OS on top of it - which they would most likely need to in order to receive Google's blessing.

From what I've gathered, I don't think you'd even be able to prevent rooting with Hypervisor, not that Google has any reason to be particularly interested in that. Android in its entirety would just be running within a completely redundant virtual machine.
    The QNX Hypervisor provides a way to run two OSs at the same time. It's not a solution to Android security issues. Mobile device management systems such as BlackBerry's BES 12 provide enterprise security by separating personal and work spaces as with BlackBerry Balance. So even if you root your Android device, if it is managed by BES, the work-space side of things will still be secured.

For us non BES users, lets hope the new slider runs BB10.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 07-08-15 at 10:39 PM.
    07-08-15 10:25 PM
    I understand that Google is not increasing their income from GAPPS as hoped. Most people on Android are on low-income (developing countries) and Google’s revenue from data mining/advertisements is limited. From other parts of the world (eg China), Google doesn’t receive any data from android phones. Additionally, Google seem to lose customers to other platforms of people/corporates who have cash and are concerned about privacy/security (iOS) or just want to have a good integration into Office applications (WinPhone). Unfortunately, these people could bring substantial ad-income. Google should be interested in closing the gap to iOS and tap into the corporate sector.

Therefore, I believe anything could happen. Chen announced something big (if I remember correctly), BBOS app development is less and less supported, BB is into securing data exchange (corporate communication, enterprise file sync/share, app connection to databases, cars, internet of things) while Google has hit its threshold of increasing revenue and starts to (re-) introduce app permissions. Google might want to have a partner to compete in the corporate sector and internet of things. They both might give up some of their current policies to work together. Who knows? You already can run or turn off GAPPS on OSes like Sailfish or CyanogenMod, why not on BBOS? Chen said that security starts with hardware. BB10 has a good reputation among governments and corporates. Why give up on it and exchange with android? BB would lose certainly software paying customers.

With Hypervisor it could be possible, that (paying?) customers can switch between the android open world (for private use) and the secured BB10 (for corporate use). That would be a killer phone. Just my two cents. I assume the slider will be BB’s answer to the Blackphone.

Haha, lots of speculation and imagination. I just should be patient.
    07-09-15 12:52 AM
    For us non BES users, lets hope the new slider runs BB10.
    So now it's Android for the enterprise users and BB 10 for the consumers?
    07-09-15 01:11 AM
    You can't say he is wrong.. at most you can say that you have another opinion .. which btw I hope you are dead wrong in

See you are correct they cant have both an android device with the bb10 and runtime. But i think you are wrong with the rest. I think they will kill/drop the runtime and probably drop bb10 pretty much as well. You can still have bb10 on old devices and the runtime can be sideloaded, pretty sure its sideloadable right now as well. You have to sideload Snap or apply Cobalts solution to get anything to work anyway so whats the harm of adding a step of sideloading the runtime really? Sure that leaves lots of apps in bbworld unuseable out of the box and not sure how BB solves this issue, maybe all previous devices are exempt and can have the android runtime installed. I dont know. But its pretty clear that BB doesnt see bb10 development going forward as a priority at all. bb10 will exist for corporate only and for specialized functions that dont need the runtime anyway.

Im not saying that a android BB device will make any money either but hey they have to give it a shot right? There is no way it could do any worse really to try this path.

Anyway just throwing those random thoughts out there
    07-09-15 03:22 AM
    My company utilizes the Google Apps Suite. GDrive is great. On Android - having a calendar that syncs with GNow and GMaps is great when you have an appointment across town - the phone tells you when to leave in order to arrive on time considering the current traffic. I'm sure there are other instances where GAAPS would be utilized by business/enterprise, isn't that the basis of Google for Work?
    Thanks for that. But primarily my question was not about Google Apps in enterprise environment but enterprise specific apps tied to GPS.

Like a large shipping corporation's own app to track ships, shipment which is deployed to all internal customers. Are they usually connected to GPS? So such questions were thrown to Chen so his options are to polish ART or adapt AOSP or become an OHA partner.
    07-09-15 03:33 AM
    Attachment 361537

QNX hypervisor isn't a OS like Android.
    There is not a runtime on a virtual machine.
    There is a FULL OS on a virtual machine

Posted via CB10
    I get what you mean. But it's not exclusive boot. Breaks the OHA rules.
    Basically you can't offer anything but a boot on Android with appropriate logos, mentions and so on. Seems like a detail, but it's not. It's there for a good reason.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 03:37 AM
    This thread has taken off,
    yet it's the same old topic... :-D

(just lurking)

  Chendroid for more sales...  
    07-09-15 05:00 AM
    I get what you mean. But it's not exclusive boot. Breaks the OHA rules.
    Basically you can't offer anything but a boot on Android with appropriate logos, mentions and so on. Seems like a detail, but it's not. It's there for a good reason.

Posted via CB10
    Beyond the language of the OHA agreements, I still think the bigger question is why Google would allow any case where a user has full access to their ecosystem and full access to someone else's OS at the same time.

I fully understand why BB10 fans would love this, but I can't understand how this would be an acceptable tradeoff for Google. That's why I think this deal is about securing Android, and has nothing to do with BB10 at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-09-15 05:08 AM
    BlackBerry recently purchased two domains. AndroidSecured.com and AndroidSecured.net. Blackberry is using Android in the domain name which is a Google registered trademark.
    Yup, as a whole word. Nothing to dig here IMHO, even if Google may want to nitpick it later.

Android in Official Names
    Using the words "Android" and "Droid" on their own is not allowed, using these is only allowed as descriptors (like "for Android"). Would we want to include "for Android" in the logo, it has to be smaller in size than the logo itself. The first instance of this use should be followed by a TM symbol.
    How to Use the Android Trademarks Properly? | Hello Android

Edit : now I'm sure Google won't nitpick it And this is definitely BES oriented.
    See the redir from above ".com" URL (".net" is still in the gray).
    OK people let's get real with these Android rumors and clear some stuff up...-capture.jpg
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-09-15 at 06:32 AM.
    07-09-15 05:59 AM
    I don't know if buying BlackBerry would ever make sense. My opinion is they would want to play nice with governments having a different company doing the security end, particularly a non-US company. Also it takes some of the risk off their plate and if BlackBerry totally blows it, they can pick up the pieces of BB it wants for pocket change. Win Win.
    See history. If Google (and MSFT and Apple) desire something, they just buy it, even for the high price. Then, they keep what they really want and ditch the rest to offset opex costs. These guys are sitting on hundreds (thousands) of $Bil. , the price is not what matters. If strategic enough, they'll just get 100% control and manage it exactly how they want. "All in or not".
    07-09-15 06:03 AM
    Beyond the language of the OHA agreements
    Err, that's a mandatory requirement, above anything, as of date ...
    As for the whys they might consider that having more customers for their android for work apps in the enterprises can be an interesting point.
    As the whole android for work ecosystem is new, it might be easier to bend rules specifically in that segment ... but won't please Joes, as it would be work only.
    [and here I am, speculating ... my turn : hit me lol]

Edit : (re-edited, irrelevant, sry)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-09-15 at 06:36 AM.
    07-09-15 06:10 AM
    BlackBerry reportedly plans to roll out multiple models of Android-based smartphones in the second half of 2015...

"While running on Android OS, the new BlackBerry smartphones will also integrate some software functions of BlackBerry OS and application services such as BES12, BBM and BlackBerry Blend, said the sources." |-)

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150708PD216.html

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | CB Mod
    07-09-15 06:36 AM
    Or try to run an online grocery store in Poland with a.pl as the web address. .pl being the polish country suffix for all polish addresses. Nope sued by Apple.
    Unless your company/brand name is ap and has real activity in Poland, as in ap.pl. In that case, there's nothing they can do besides offering $ for it (and they do if they believe it's important).

OK people let's get real with these Android rumors and clear some stuff up...-capture.png

As for the a.pl, which is in another brand names IP class, no problem either.
    OK people let's get real with these Android rumors and clear some stuff up...-capture.png

The only way to secure this is to be ready when those TLDs appear.
    THEN ("Sunrise") the dispute may be relevant. Otherwise ... this has to be 100% blatant.
    07-09-15 06:57 AM
    This thread has taken off,
    yet it's the same old topic... :-D

(just lurking)

•   Chendroid for more sales...   •
    Yeah we were having it over a year ago when it seemed like BlackBerry was working to make the Runtime more compatible. Many of the same ones were thinking then that we were on the cusp of getting Google Play on BB10. Instead we got the Amazon store..... They it was all talk about the BlackBerry/Amazon partnership and how that was going to possible extend to the expansion of BB10 on Amazon devices.

The word Partnership has a pretty broad meaning.... too many here think that Google & Samsung NEED BlackBerry or that this is some kinda 50/50 deal with both of them. Me... I think it just what all parties have announced so far... working to make BES more compatible with both Android for Work and KNOX. Does BlackBerry have their own plans for Android.... I don't know.

But I seriously doubt that sales of BB10 devices is about to improve drastically, I doubt Chen can afford to just stop making hardware, and I doubt that he can afford to devote very many resources to a platform that is dying... have you looked a BlackBerry World?
    randall2580 likes this.
    07-09-15 07:29 AM
    Thank you, a timely and intelligent post about the ongoing Android/BB rumors!
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    07-09-15 07:58 AM
    BlackBerry reportedly plans to roll out multiple models of Android-based smartphones in the second half of 2015...

"While running on Android OS, the new BlackBerry smartphones will also integrate some software functions of BlackBerry OS and application services such as BES12, BBM and BlackBerry Blend, said the sources." |-)

BlackBerry to roll out Android-based smartphones in 2H15, say sources

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | CB Mod
    There source: 'according to sources at Taiwan's handset supply chain.'

blah....

Can anyone recall if any of the rumors under Chen turned out to be true? I can't recall anything specific.
    07-09-15 08:10 AM
    *Reads Article*

Wow! Such a great read! I'm even more excited for the Slider now! If it's dual OS, I'm tossing this iPhone 6 Plus in the bushes!
    07-09-15 08:55 AM
    *Reads Article*

http://i.imgur.com/QBS2AVE.gifv

Wow! Such a great read! I'm even more excited for the Slider now! If it's dual OS, I'm tossing this iPhone 6 Plus in the bushes!
    You should toss it just for the Passport!
    07-09-15 08:57 AM
292 ... 7891011 ...