09-28-15 04:50 PM
292 ... 678910 ...
tools
    And what if Google made its own secure fork of Android incorporating lets say a QNX hypervisor and the BB hub? (got to make it complicated )

Google sets the standard right? And assuming I am correct, they could just create a secure fork to up the ante with iOS and Windows. Doing it with partners like Samsung and BlackBerry can help them in the PR department as well.
    AFAIK it'll be QNX + hypervisor running Android.
    THIS ^^^ is the day when Google buys BlackBerry, but that's probably me thinking weird now ;-) ...
    07-08-15 01:21 PM
    I can't find much on the technical background behind it - it just seemed like AliCloud was claiming it wasn't a fork, and Google claiming it was ("it uses runtimes, framework and various tools from Android."). The point is, it's all depends on Google's point of view, and how much they're willing to bend any rules to get BlackBerry on board as an Android device maker.
    VVV
    Alibaba claims that its Aliyun OS is based on Linux and not directly derived from Google's Android. Google's Rubin, however, contends in his post that Aliyun "incorporates the Android runtime and was apparently derived from Android." Google has reportedly run tests on the apps available at Aliyun's app store, finding that the platform "tries to, but does not succeed in being compatible."
    PygmySurfer and jmr1015 like this.
    07-08-15 01:25 PM
    It's easy... remove Android runtime and run full Android on QNX hypervisor instead

Posted via CB10
    which, basically, is a runtime or a virtual machine.
    Same rules apply.
    Want to run Google Android ?
    Boot with the green robot or forget it.

P.S : Again, an option I'd like ... but the glitch is not technical. It's commercial.
    07-08-15 01:28 PM
    Same rules apply.

P.S : Again, an option I'd like ... but the glitch is not technical. It's commercial.
    I wish that was in every OP on this topic. There are many implementations to run Android apps but that doesn't matter at all.
    Superfly_FR and gfondeur like this.
    07-08-15 01:32 PM
    AFAIK it'll be QNX + hypervisor running Android.
    THIS ^^^ is the day when Google buys BlackBerry, but that's probably me thinking weird now ;-) ...
    I don't know if buying BlackBerry would ever make sense. My opinion is they would want to play nice with governments having a different company doing the security end, particularly a non-US company. Also it takes some of the risk off their plate and if BlackBerry totally blows it, they can pick up the pieces of BB it wants for pocket change. Win Win.
    07-08-15 01:34 PM
    IMHO it's not an issue of whether Google Play Services come to BlackBerry products. More so a question of when and what terms BlackBerry and Google agreed to.

BlackBerry recently purchased two domains. AndroidSecured.com and AndroidSecured.net. Blackberry is using Android in the domain name which is a Google registered trademark.

Posted via CB10

You might be overthinking things.

OK people let's get real with these Android rumors and clear some stuff up...-bbx1.jpg

They aren't known for really doing their homework.....

But you are correct it is a Google trademark and can't be used in a Domain name. But then Google hasn't made a big deal about androidcentral.com, so maybe they aren't "overly" protective of their brand unless it is being harmed.

You want to see a company that protects their brand.... try putting the name Disney in a domain name.
    lnichols, DrBoomBotz and gfondeur like this.
    07-08-15 01:39 PM

You want to see a company that protects their brand.... try putting the name Disney in a domain name.
    Or try to run an online grocery store in Poland with a.pl as the web address. .pl being the polish country suffix for all polish addresses. Nope sued by Apple.
    07-08-15 01:49 PM
    Same rules apply.

QNX hypervisor IS NOT an OS. It's in a lower level than an OS.
    With an hypervisor, the device will boot with an Android OS from the start.

There is a subtle difference between OS an a hypervisor. This is the key

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 02:44 PM
    OK people let's get real with these Android rumors and clear some stuff up...-crackberry-image-17-.jpg

QNX hypervisor isn't a OS like Android.
    There is not a runtime on a virtual machine.
    There is a FULL OS on a virtual machine

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 02:48 PM
    I think the thing people are getting crazy over, is what's possible. It's possible Google and BlackBerry come to some sort of agreement that lets BlackBerry keep BB10 and the runtime, or dual boot, or just about anything... Maybe Google will just drop Android and switch to BB10... Anything is possible.

What you really need to be thinking about, is what is probable. It is not probable that Google will bend in any way, shape, or form, to benefit BlackBerry. Google is holding all the cards. Any agreement will heavily favor Google. In any negotiation revolving around BlackBerry running OHA full Android, it is BlackBerry that needs Google. Not Google needing BlackBerry. It is BlackBerry who would need to concede to Google/OHA rules, not Google who would bend/break OHA rules for BlackBerry. Like the title of the OP says, let's get real here.

If BlackBerry goes Android with Google's blessing, the Android runtime in BB10 is likely done... and said Android handset would likely be full standalone Android. Not Android running on a virtual machine/QNX Hypervisor. Again, this is what is most probable. Anything is possible, but having a history of how Google handles these sorts of things, what outcome would you bet money on?
    07-08-15 03:10 PM
    QNX hypervisor IS NOT an OS. It's in a lower level than an OS.
    With an hypervisor, the device will boot with an Android OS from the start.

There is a subtle difference between OS an a hypervisor. This is the key

Posted via CB10
    And that key makes no difference. Google will consider the ability to run a parallel os a fragmentation of the Android experience just like it does dual booting. For example having the Hub in BB10 that is better than what possible in Android would be considered harmful as it would drive users to use another platform. Why would Google approve that?
    07-08-15 03:17 PM
    The BlackBerry Experience Suite is not Android specific, it includes BB10, IOS, and Windows Phone. It's not consumer oriented software, it's aimed at "mobile professionals" who work for BlackBerry's enterprises customers who will have to license it in order to use it.
    Link to an official announcement? If this does turn out to be true, then I'm finished with BlackBerry for good. I am a mobile professional, just not one that is restricted to work within the constraints of BES.
    07-08-15 04:06 PM
    Link to an official announcement? If this does turn out to be true, then I'm finished with BlackBerry for good. I am a mobile professional, just not one that is restricted to work within the constraints of BES.
    This was announced back in March.

THE BLACKBERRY EXPERIENCE SUITE
    BlackBerry is bringing deeply integrated productivity, communication and collaboration and security experiences to all smartphone and tablet users running iOS, Android™ and Windows operating systems.
    We want to empower all mobile professionals with solutions that supercharge their productivity and allow them to work across all their devices in an effortless and secure way.

The BlackBerry Experience Suite will be comprised of three suites of services that will bundle different BlackBerry solutions together.

Watch the BlackBerry Experience Suite video
    https://global.blackberry.com/en/ent...nce-suite.html
    07-08-15 04:18 PM
    I think the thing people are getting crazy over, is what's possible. It's possible Google and BlackBerry come to some sort of agreement that lets BlackBerry keep BB10 and the runtime, or dual boot, or just about anything... Maybe Google will just drop Android and switch to BB10... Anything is possible.

What you really need to be thinking about, is what is probable. It is not probable that Google will bend in any way, shape, or form, to benefit BlackBerry. Google is holding all the cards. Any agreement will heavily favor Google. In any negotiation revolving around BlackBerry running OHA full Android, it is BlackBerry that needs Google. Not Google needing BlackBerry. It is BlackBerry who would need to concede to Google/OHA rules, not Google who would bend/break OHA rules for BlackBerry. Like the title of the OP says, let's get real here.

If BlackBerry goes Android with Google's blessing, the Android runtime in BB10 is likely done... and said Android handset would likely be full standalone Android. Not Android running on a virtual machine/QNX Hypervisor. Again, this is what is most probable. Anything is possible, but having a history of how Google handles these sorts of things, what outcome would you bet money on?
    This.

I think folks might forget this. Google has the upper hand. Simple.
    07-08-15 04:27 PM
    The BBM conversation with the developer and the "that's why we're not saying much about it" comment supports "BB10 isn't going anywhere"... except that with the downsizing of the developer support team etc, it already HAS gone somewhere cold and lonely.

So if it's not going anywhere, it's not going anywhere good.

And the phrase '...BB10 and anything else we're working on' does imply another OS: one doesn't talk about '...like secure Android and Pac-Man" in the same sentence... two things vastly different in terms of scale and significance... I just think they've put Baby in the corner and are neglecting it, making "BB10 is being marginalized" a self-fulfilling prophesy. So much potential, abandoned.

Posted via CB10
    k1rkland likes this.
    07-08-15 04:31 PM
    The BBM conversation with the developer and the "that's why we're not saying much about it" comment supports "BB10 isn't going anywhere"... except that with the downsizing of the developer support team etc, it already HAS gone somewhere cold and lonely.

So if it's not going anywhere, it's not going anywhere good.

And the phrase '...BB10 and anything else we're working on' does imply another OS: one doesn't talk about '...like secure Android and Pac-Man" in the same sentence... two things vastly different in terms of scale and significance... I just think they've put Baby in the corner and are neglecting it, making "BB10 is being marginalized" a self-fulfilling prophesy. So much potential, abandoned.

Posted via CB10
    Wishful thinking on my part probably, but I hope not. Not betting money on my hopes though.
    07-08-15 04:35 PM
    The more I look into it. Google Play Services are owned by Google and not Android. Puts a bit of a damper on the OHA argument. What's the OHA going to say if Google and BlackBerry have their own agreement. Blackberry and Google are strategic partners after all.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 04:45 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image(17).jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	361537

QNX hypervisor isn't a OS like Android.
    There is not a runtime on a virtual machine.
    There is a FULL OS on a virtual machine

Posted via CB10
    Dual boot or I am dreaming/drooling on this diagram?
    07-08-15 04:53 PM
    OK people let's get real with these Android rumors and clear some stuff up...-img_20150709_075846.png

androidsecured.com

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport | Been around the world, don't speak the language but workin' wide need no explainin'
    07-08-15 05:00 PM
    The more I look into it. Google Play Services are owned by Google and not Android. Puts a bit of a damper on the OHA argument. What's the OHA going to say if Google and BlackBerry have their own agreement. Blackberry and Google are strategic partners after all. Posted via CB10
    Apparently it's hard for Google Android phone fans to think outside the OHA box.
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    07-08-15 05:53 PM
    Apparently it's hard for Google Android phone fans to think outside the OHA box.
    Probably not hard. They just don't need to.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-08-15 05:59 PM
    Probably not hard. They just don't need to.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    And Google doesn't need to either. That is lost on some people. There are a couple examples of GPS licenses outside of the OHA but all of those follow essentially the same rules as if they belonged to OHA.
    07-08-15 07:30 PM
    The more I look into it. Google Play Services are owned by Google and not Android. Puts a bit of a damper on the OHA argument. What's the OHA going to say if Google and BlackBerry have their own agreement. Blackberry and Google are strategic partners after all.

Posted via CB10
    Google Play Services are owned by Google. Android is owned by Google. The OHA was founded by Google, and is largely Google's way of controlling Android by granting/withholding access to Google Play Services.

What are OHA members going to say if Google and BlackBerry have an agreement outside of the OHA, giving BlackBerry access to Google Play Services without having to submit to the same standards as other Android OEMs? Well I'd imagine many of them could withdraw from the OHA and demand their own separate negotiations for Google Play Services. It would likely needlessly complicate Google's business with regards to Android and Google Play Services.

Again, it is just highly improbable that Google would grant BlackBerry some sort of preferential treatment, over long standing OHA members.
    07-08-15 07:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    In order to be part of the OHA you need to run a stock Android OS and then pay a service fee to access Google Mobile Services which gives the device manufacturer access to the Google Play Store it binds the manufacturer to Google and it's services.

Android is open source anyone can manufacture a device using it but if you want access to Google's app ecosystem you must do so on their terms and they have proven in the past that those terms are whatever they decide they are.

Loving my Passport!
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-08-15 07:54 PM
    Any thoughts on the website now that it has some material, it looks like what was already announced?

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 07:54 PM
292 ... 678910 ...