09-28-15 04:50 PM
292 ... 56789 ...
tools

Now what this simply means is that if BB joins the OHA, Android Runtime will cease to exist on BB10 OS and that personally WILL NOT HAPPEN. Not only is it dumb but they alienate all BB10 devices (From the Z10 up to the Leap that was just released) and this push for amazon appstore and so on and a lot and I mean a lot of Android apps from BB world will not work. So we can take this out of the equation big big time. Especially with the recent release of the Leap and Classic still rolling out in different colors. Android will always be a part of BB10 either as a runtime or forked/full android OS as a seperate OS within QNX (BB10)
    Alienating BB10 owners is not dumb if it increases sales, profit, market shares. At the end of the day, BB is a business. They will do what is needed to make money. They are not there to cater to an ever shrinking group of users.
    app_Developer and dejanh like this.
    07-08-15 09:12 AM
    Google can change OHA to introduce a special Qnx case in a second.
    And terminate the deal with all the other brands that are part of the alliance for years with all the constraints attached ?
    Alliance Members | Open Handset Alliance
    I just believe that's a very unlikely scenario.
    Shall they only consider it as an option, they'll buy BlackBerry outright, IMHO.
    07-08-15 09:12 AM
    They clearly cannot read at all.....you cannot have Google play services and have the bb10 android runtime......at the same time...one has to give......those are the oha rules period so blackberry cannot build a android phone with Google services on It....forked android yes but not full android with Google.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    It's easy... remove Android runtime and run full Android on QNX hypervisor instead

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 09:15 AM
    My personal thoughts at this point, along with a healthy dose of wishing, is that BlackBerry would produce the Slider running Android with a BB10 style launcher and/or skin. It would have some security features, to help sell the device, but BlackBerry would also keep producing BB10 sans runtime for essential customers such as governments and the like. Also, personally, I hope the Slider is rootable so it can be customized heavily, but those chances are low.
    07-08-15 09:48 AM
    ok then i think things are getting clear after the registration of the domains. I think we'll see a fork android called "android secured" gived in license to oem and on board on the slider AND AT THE SAME TIME keep alive BB10 and do a bb10 version slider as well. This is a win for google because they could become competitive also in security, and is a win for BB because you attract attention and gain new customers, in android secured side and obviously in BB10 side as consequence.
    My 2 cents
    07-08-15 10:34 AM
    I totally agree. Watch out for the OHA police around here though. They make the OHA out as though it's part of the constitution.

Posted via CB10
    The OHA may not be unbreakable, but you at least have to consider the current rules that are in place for Android when discussing it. This agreement has probably been pored over by dozens of lawyers on all sides but a couple of forum posters think they are going to find a loophole in someone else' paraphrasing of one rule that will allow BBRY to do what they wish?

This is the "let's get real" thread, not the "Just imagine if..." thread.
    07-08-15 11:01 AM
    Still don't see Google breaking the OHA in order to "give" BlackBerry something. BlackBerry isn't the first to want to run Android virtualized BlackBerry isn't the first to want a dual booting system, BlackBerry isn't the first to want a forked version of Android, BlackBerry isn't the first that wanted a more secure Android.

Google giving BlackBerry something they have not allowed in the past... opens Pandora's box. And there are other companies that are much more important to Google, than BlackBerry.
    07-08-15 11:02 AM
    My personal thoughts at this point, along with a healthy dose of wishing, is that BlackBerry would produce the Slider running Android with a BB10 style launcher and/or skin. It would have some security features, to help sell the device, but BlackBerry would also keep producing BB10 sans runtime for essential customers such as governments and the like. Also, personally, I hope the Slider is rootable so it can be customized heavily, but those chances are low.
    Those two things completely contradict one another. If they could actually add "security features" to Android, preventing rooting would be one of the most important features.
    howarmat and gfondeur like this.
    07-08-15 11:05 AM
    You could have just posted the picture in the end lol. I would have believed you lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 11:05 AM
    Just came across this article from reddit posted by Berry Flow on their BBM channel.....interesting

http://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/c...kberry_venice/

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 11:09 AM
    07-08-15 11:13 AM
    IMHO it's not an issue of whether Google Play Services come to BlackBerry products. More so a question of when and what terms BlackBerry and Google agreed to.

BlackBerry recently purchased two domains. AndroidSecured.com and AndroidSecured.net. Blackberry is using Android in the domain name which is a Google registered trademark.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 11:21 AM
    And terminate the deal with all the other brands that are part of the alliance for years with all the constraints attached ?
    Alliance Members | Open Handset Alliance
    I just believe that's a very unlikely scenario.
    Shall they only consider it as an option, they'll buy BlackBerry outright, IMHO.
    We must assume that BlackBerry is not only a hard maker anymore. BlackBerry can license QNX hypervisor to these other brands and maintain all OHA members happy. BlackBerry will become the new gold standard for Android's security, and Google and all other brands know this. What manufacturer would not want to banish the idea that Android is unsafe?

This way, BlackBerry survives, gains a huge apps ecosystem for consumers market, increasing his brand image and his sales, maintaining BB10 as the best OS for the prosumer.

Google, Samsung and all others, with their huge marketing band, can sell a more secured Android to consumers.

All people win

Posted via CB10
    undone and gfondeur like this.
    07-08-15 11:26 AM
    ok then i think things are getting clear after the registration of the domains. I think we'll see a fork android called "android secured" gived in license to oem and on board on the slider AND AT THE SAME TIME keep alive BB10 and do a bb10 version slider as well. This is a win for google because they could become competitive also in security, and is a win for BB because you attract attention and gain new customers, in android secured side and obviously in BB10 side as consequence.
    My 2 cents
    I think you'll find that BES 12 is an essential part of Android Secured. It's new enterprise customers who will pay monthly licensing fees that BlackBerry is going after, much more than consumers who might like their phones.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-08-15 11:40 AM
    I think you'll find that BES 12 is an essential part of Android Secured. It's new enterprise customers who will pay monthly licensing fees that BlackBerry is going after, much more than consumers who might like their phones.
    I think that makes sense. I think BES12 will be part of this, and there will no BB10 in this at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-08-15 11:59 AM
    I don't even need to provide a document Google is your friend .....you have two versions of Android : OHA (Open Handset Allicance) and AOSP (Android Open Source Project). OHA meaning full blown device with Google services and AOSP having a forked or modified version of Android with no Google services (Amazon fire OS and Android runtime within BB10). You CANNOT sell OHA devices then have your own OS have a forked or modified version of Android....that is to answer your first question.*
    It's not my job to fact check for you - you're making unsubstantiated claims. If you're going to state something as fact, be prepared to back it up.

2. Google ain't negotiating for BlackBerry who has little to no market share regardless of what security they can put on it....if they open it up for BlackBerry they will open it up for everybody else....no exceptions allowed.
    You have no idea who's negotiating with who.

3. Yes OHA is a thing of course no doubt....just because the site isn't updated doesn't mean it's still not there....
    It very well may be, but it's very interesting that Google's Android compatibility site (including the very detailed Android Compatibility Definition Document) doesn't mention the OHA at all.

Read the last part:

Licensing Google Mobile Services (GMS)
    After building an Android compatible device, consider licensing Google Mobile Services (GMS), Googles proprietary suite of apps (Google Play, YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, and more ) that run on top of Android. GMS is not part of the Android Open Source Project and is available only through a license with Google. For information on how to request a GMS license, see Contact Us. ‎
    GMS is completely separate from Android proper - the rules of the OHA have no bearing whatsoever on GMS.

Also, please provide proof that Google would consider the BB10 Android runtime a "fork" of Android. The BB10 runtime is not an OS - it's incapable of booting a device, or providing all of the functions of a device. It provides a subset of the functionality Android as a whole provides.
    07-08-15 12:29 PM
    If BlackBerry does not make a shift to Android with BlackBerry Experience Suite, then the HW division is truly done for. As much as I love BlackBerry 10, it is not just not gaining traction, it is actually literally losing traction.

It is very encouraging to see that they registered the androidsecured domains.
    kvndoom likes this.
    07-08-15 12:32 PM

Also, please provide proof that Google would consider the BB10 Android runtime a "fork" of Android. The BB10 runtime is not an OS - it's incapable of booting a device, or providing all of the functions of a device. It provides a subset of the functionality Android as a whole provides.
    You don't seem to be familiar with Acer and Aliyun OS or you wouldn't make that statement. In that incident Google decided that Aliyun OS ability to run android apps meant that Acer could not make phones for them.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-08-15 12:35 PM
    You don't seem to be familiar with Acer and Aliyun OS or you wouldn't make that statement. In that incident Google decided that Aliyun OS ability to run android apps meant that Acer could not make phones for them.
    Aliyun was a fork - it wasn't that it could just run Android apps, it WAS Android. It also didn't help that their app store included pirated Android apps.
    07-08-15 12:52 PM
    Aliyun was a fork - it wasn't that it could just run Android apps, it WAS Android. It also didn't help that their app store included pirated Android apps.
    It was not a fork in the sense it was a custom rom. It was a Linux derived OS that had an android runtime component. Google said that because the runtime by necessity has Android code in it that it was a violation.
    07-08-15 01:00 PM
    It was not a fork in the sense it was a custom rom. It was a Linux derived OS that had an android runtime component. Google said that because the runtime by necessity has Android code in it that it was a violation.
    I can't find much on the technical background behind it - it just seemed like AliCloud was claiming it wasn't a fork, and Google claiming it was ("it uses runtimes, framework and various tools from Android."). The point is, it's all depends on Google's point of view, and how much they're willing to bend any rules to get BlackBerry on board as an Android device maker.
    07-08-15 01:07 PM
    I can't find much on the technical background behind it - it just seemed like AliCloud was claiming it wasn't a fork, and Google claiming it was ("it uses runtimes, framework and various tools from Android."). The point is, it's all depends on Google's point of view, and how much they're willing to bend any rules to get BlackBerry on board as an Android device maker.
    So we agree, its up to Google to decide whether the runtime would be allowed in BB10 with a license for GPS but given what we know of OHA history and Google that chance approaches zero.
    07-08-15 01:11 PM
    And what if Google made its own secure fork of Android incorporating lets say a QNX hypervisor and the BB hub? (got to make it complicated )

Google sets the standard right? And assuming I am correct, they could just create a secure fork to up the ante with iOS and Windows. Doing it with partners like Samsung and BlackBerry can help them in the PR department as well.
    07-08-15 01:13 PM
    We must assume that BlackBerry is not only a hard maker anymore. BlackBerry can license QNX hypervisor to these other brands and maintain all OHA members happy. BlackBerry will become the new gold standard for Android's security, and Google and all other brands know this. What manufacturer would not want to banish the idea that Android is unsafe?

This way, BlackBerry survives, gains a huge apps ecosystem for consumers market, increasing his brand image and his sales, maintaining BB10 as the best OS for the prosumer.

Google, Samsung and all others, with their huge marketing band, can sell a more secured Android to consumers.

All people win

Posted via CB10
    Don't read me bad, the above is a very sexy option.
    But the discussion is about the next Quarters and hypervisor is just born.
    As of date (correct me if I'm wrong), I've heard no plan or read documents that explains if/how/when it can apply besides the core QNX OS (not BB10). and automotive.
    So this adds to the pile; get a special agreement with Google and others, polish QNX hypervisor or at least demo it on various platforms, tests, adapt HW ... that's a lot.
    It might very well be the future with a big F. Meanwhile, it's not relevant IMHO with current rumor.
    But again, I love the idea
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    07-08-15 01:15 PM
    If BlackBerry does not make a shift to Android with BlackBerry Experience Suite, then the HW division is truly done for. As much as I love BlackBerry 10, it is not just not gaining traction, it is actually literally losing traction. It is very encouraging to see that they registered the androidsecured domains.
    The BlackBerry Experience Suite is not Android specific, it includes BB10, IOS, and Windows Phone. It's not consumer oriented software, it's aimed at "mobile professionals" who work for BlackBerry's enterprises customers who will have to license it in order to use it.
    07-08-15 01:21 PM
292 ... 56789 ...