09-28-15 05:50 PM
292 ... 45678 ...
tools
    if you ask me, telling developers to forget about BB10 and develop Android apps was more about positioning to a switch to Android rather than bolstering the Android Runtime. The runtime is never going to be a great solution, and given that many if not most of BB users consider Android Apps to be an essential part of their BB10 experience, (Android Apps was all anyone talked about for quite some time when BB10 first launched, and the Android app discussions are seemingly the most popular threads here) BB has absolutely nothing to lose moving to Android. All this jibber jabber and groaning about security...Can't believe it's still going on. Look your phone isn't secure unless you're on BES, period, end of discussion. For consumers there is little to no safety advantage of BB10 over Android. If you're actually concerned enough about security you will be filtering through server rules anyway. "Android is so and laggy" guess what, my z30 is an absolute DOG compared to a Nexus 6, the screen is terrible, it's slow, a ton of stuff doesn't work as it should, it has to be wiped every few months, still has to be reset, phantom battery drains persist, but alas, I like BB, and I'm not a loyalist. I see a transition to Android as not only essential, but inevitable. There's no way if they're going down that they won't at least try it.
    Uzi, Dunt Dunt Dunt and kirson like this.
    07-08-15 04:32 AM
    if you ask me, telling developers to forget about BB10 and develop Android apps was more about positioning to a switch to Android rather than bolstering the Android Runtime. The runtime is never going to be a great solution, and given that many if not most of BB users consider Android Apps to be an essential part of their BB10 experience, (Android Apps was all anyone talked about for quite some time when BB10 first launched, and the Android app discussions are seemingly the most popular threads here) BB has absolutely nothing to lose moving to Android. All this jibber jabber and groaning about security...Can't believe it's still going on. Look your phone isn't secure unless you're on BES, period, end of discussion. For consumers there is little to no safety advantage of BB10 over Android. If you're actually concerned enough about security you will be filtering through server rules anyway. "Android is so and laggy" guess what, my z30 is an absolute DOG compared to a Nexus 6, the screen is terrible, it's slow, a ton of stuff doesn't work as it should, it has to be wiped every few months, still has to be reset, phantom battery drains persist, but alas, I like BB, and I'm not a loyalist. I see a transition to Android as not only essential, but inevitable. There's no way if they're going down that they won't at least try it.
    Agreed with you about android and security concerns, disagree able z30 need to wiped and slow

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | CB Mod
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-08-15 04:38 AM
    That chat doesn't say anything conclusive besides "BB10 not going anywhere."

At a minimum that statement only implies BlackBerry will continue to support BB10. It can be interpreted a thousand different ways, as is proven by the replies to this thread.

Anyway, we'll find out in the next few months anyway. One thing is for sure, BB10 marketshare is a joke, and will continue to decline until we remember 0.3% as "the good ol days." At this point, any new BB10 phone they introduce will flop, and it doesn't matter how many cores it has or how big the screen is or how many megapixels the camera is.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    07-08-15 06:53 AM
    It is free for anyone to join the alliance, but in doing so the company must agree to not fork Android and instead strive to avoid fragmentation of the Android platform. What this means is that a manufacturer like Acer cannot release a device that runs a non-compatible version of Android. If Acer wants to release a device with a non-compatible version of Android they can, but they’ll have to leave the OHA and lose access to Google’s ecosystem.
    All I see is that they can't release a non-compatible version of Android. In other words, a version of Android that is forked.
    BB10 with android runtime doesn't really count as an OS, so it's not "a version of Android"

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 07:50 AM
    They clearly cannot read at all.....you cannot have Google play services and have the bb10 android runtime......at the same time...one has to give......those are the oha rules period so blackberry cannot build a android phone with Google services on It....forked android yes but not full android with Google.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    From my standpoint, if I can't go to the Google store and download an app and run it, it has basically zero use to me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by GadgetTravel; 07-08-15 at 09:33 AM.
    07-08-15 07:51 AM
    BB10 with android runtime doesn't really count as an OS, so it's not "a version of Android"

Posted via CB10
    Get this straight in your head - the compliance tests for GAPPS and the rest aren't rational fair tests, they are a political way of google maintaining control - the tests can be whatever google likes at any point - they will not get into this hair-splitting - if BB wants to have an Android device (not AOSP) they will be told to pull the run-time.

A lot of these fantasies seem to start from an erroneous assumption that BBRY is still some major player with power rather than an also-ran.
    07-08-15 08:06 AM
    Firstly, thanks for the post OP.

Secondly, I really like the confidence of all the people here saying this or that will never happen! When it comes down to business, anything is possible.

For the people saying BB10 will never go away or for those who say Google will never bend the rules, stranger things have happened!

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-08-15 08:21 AM
    How about we look at this from the user's/purchaser's standpoint. Do you really want the first thing that shows up on boot to be a choice between QNX hypervisor and Android? How many users are going to even know what that means? Do they have to reboot to run an Android app? Outside of CrackBerry, do users really need QNX to be in there? Why not just have Android that works like Google intends it to. Security? Is this any less secure than the other Android devices that is managed by BES?
    You raise an interesting point but for the vast majority of phones in western nations - the purchaser from the OEM is the carrier - they want a dual-boot like a hole in the head - it's another reason why it's a no-no.

Firstly, thanks for the post OP.

Secondly, I really like the confidence of all the people here saying this or that will never happen! When it comes down to business, anything is possible.

For the people saying BB10 will never go away or for those who say Google will never bend the rules, stranger things have happened!

Posted via CB10
    That's true but we cannot actually plan for a 'strange event' (or black swan) only what is realistic - sure we could proceed on the basis that Microsoft is switching to Ubunutu or Apple is dropping iOS to go android but on the information we have and on previous behaviour, it is highly unlikely.

Companies tend to pivot when they struggle not when they are successful - so on past history, current market dynamics and the like - if we have two events at the extremes - Google allows the sort of changes described here and BBRY bends its knee to Google - the second is far more likely.
    Blacklatino and kirson like this.
    07-08-15 08:31 AM
    All I see is that they can't release a non-compatible version of Android. In other words, a version of Android that is forked.

Posted via CB10
    All you see is what he wrote... there is much, much more to the actual requirements. Most of which we really only know about except when the Alliance has to keep another member in "place".

Last year we heard a lot about dual booting Android/Windows phones.... where are they now? They are out there, built by a few Chinese manufactures that are not OHA members, and thus they are running Android without Google Services. The few OEMs ( Asus, Huawei, HTC) that were member's that wanted to do the same, were told NO by Google.

So if Google doesn't let an OEM build devices that can boot either Android or Windows... do you really believe that they are going to approve a Hypervisior that can boot Android and BB10 at the same time? Or that they would give up control and allow even just the Hypervisor to boot "securely" and then boot Android alone (thus acknowledging that Android really isn't secure enough)?

Think it would be much easier to just install Android and use a "secure" work-space container. With BES and the proper IT Polices in place I imagine that Android could be made secure enough..... For those needing higher level of security without Android Apps there are the BlackPhones... and maybe BlackBerry will do a BB10 line of $2000 secursmart BlackBerries.
    07-08-15 08:45 AM

Last year we heard a lot about dual booting Android/Windows phones.... where are they now? They are out there, built by a few Chinese manufactures that are not OHA members, and thus they are running Android without Google Services. The few OEMs ( Asus, Huawei, HTC) that were member's that wanted to do the same, were told NO by Google.
    There was one tablet that managed it (I think by Asus) and they did it via an interesting dodge that brought down the wraith of both MS and google - they did it by getting each to certificate a device with its own ram, processor etc that em.. was then stuck together as a keyboard and a screen.
    07-08-15 08:48 AM
    My guess is that the slider is not going to be a dual boot OS. It will be Android with a BB10 skin.

I think BlackBerry will be smart if they have an Android version of BB10 for consumers and keep BB10 strictly for enterprise/government use.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 08:52 AM
    And things just keep getting more interesting.

http://www.thedomains.com/2015/07/08...-domain-names/

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 08:53 AM
    How many of the enterprise(BB's focus group) apps require GPS?

Can someone from enterprise enlighten us?
    My company utilizes the Google Apps Suite. GDrive is great. On Android - having a calendar that syncs with GNow and GMaps is great when you have an appointment across town - the phone tells you when to leave in order to arrive on time considering the current traffic. I'm sure there are other instances where GAAPS would be utilized by business/enterprise, isn't that the basis of Google for Work?
    07-08-15 09:02 AM

That's true but we cannot actually plan for a 'strange event' (or black swan) only what is realistic - sure we could proceed on the basis that Microsoft is switching to Ubunutu or Apple is dropping iOS to go android but on the information we have and on previous behaviour, it is highly unlikely.

Companies tend to pivot when they struggle not when they are successful - so on past history, current market dynamics and the like - if we have two events at the extremes - Google allows the sort of changes described here and BBRY bends its knee to Google - the second is far more likely.
    Well, I agree there won't be any drastic measures from either and also it's true that companies tend to pivot when they struggle. But who is talking about pivoting? I am looking at it in a different way, where Google jumps to a new level. They are going to release Android M and then N, O, P....soon they will run out of alphabets and then what? Numbers? Fine. But how long? There will be a point where the platform i.e. Android reaches saturation (if it already hasn't). Of course BlackBerry would have to do something extraordinary even to get Google's attention but who's to say they won't? Extraordinary things usually happen when backs are against the wall.

But yes, if trends are followed then Google is expected to have the final say and BlackBerry will have to bend it's knees.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 09:03 AM
    My guess is that the slider is not going to be a dual boot OS. It will be Android with a BB10 skin.

I think BlackBerry will be smart if they have an Android version of BB10 for consumers and keep BB10 strictly for enterprise/government use.

Posted via CB10
    The only thing is I think it would have to be a version of BB10 without the Runtime... as BlackBerry would have to join the OHA to put out a Android phone with Google Services. And the rules do not allow an OEM to produce any "forked" versions of Android. Which then makes BB10 just a secure OS with almost NO app support at all..... And enterprise and government do want some apps. The whole reason other Secure Phone manufactures (Blackphone, Boeing) are using Android is so that if needed an app could be ported to the platform. Without the runtime, every app would have to be native on BB10.
    07-08-15 09:07 AM

BlackBerry Limited Registers Android Domain Names

Posted via CB10
    Very very interesting.....Hmmmm are we looking at a forked version of Android of BB10 on it or is this site about the samsung/blackberry deal making secured android phones for BES

Samsung ups security with BlackBerry partnership | Fin24
    07-08-15 09:11 AM

BlackBerry Limited Registers Android Domain Names

Posted via CB10
    Very, very interesting Andrew.
    07-08-15 09:15 AM
    Very very interesting.....Hmmmm are we looking at a forked version of Android of BB10 on it or is this site about the samsung/blackberry deal making secured android phones for BES

A forked Android version presents NO advantages at this point over BB10. The only reason to go Android is the app ecosystem and a forked version would NOT gain that.
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-08-15 09:32 AM
    My take...this is an expanded deal with Samsung to further secure there devices to be used with DoD and other governments. The hypervisor will be allowed within this particular Android use case to allow them to lock down devices for very specific purposes. My guess is that BB is positioning themselves to be the go to for securing devices. Between hardware and software they are doing everything in there power to fortify their security foot hold.

For the more technically able people here, is the android runtime currently in BB10 run in the background or is it turned on upon launching an android based app? Reason I ask is I can see them adding a way to turn off/on the runtime either via a hypervisor or something within BB10. Why? Because your customers that are security focused and using BES want to be able to turn it off or even load there own custom android runtimes.
    07-08-15 09:39 AM
    How many of the enterprise(BB's focus group) apps require GPS?

Can someone from enterprise enlighten us?
    How many of that focus group require more than the MDM not allowing rooted phones to connect to the network?
    07-08-15 09:46 AM

Well it sure seems like Chen might have figured out a way to secure Android after all......

But who know, this might just be about a "Service" that any Android users on BES could add to give them a KNOX/BES/BLACKBERRY EXPERIENCE.
    07-08-15 09:50 AM
    They already announced the Secutablet, basically a BlackBerry/Samsung product, they could easily announce the Slider as the same with BB hardware this time instead of Samsung's (at least for the keyboard part). Anyway, my update cycle is about 2 years, so I ll see then.
    Cheers
    07-08-15 09:51 AM

http://www.thedomains.com/2015/07/08...-domain-names/

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is trolling us!

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-08-15 10:01 AM
    You never know, with BlackBerry being more of a software company now and already working with Google "to Enhance Mobile Security and User Experience," there just might be a trade off that would benefit Google.
    Google needs BlackBerry's app and security, BlackBerry needs Google ecosystem. An agreement is possible

Google can change OHA to introduce a special Qnx case in a second.
    Never say never

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 10:03 AM
    Google needs BlackBerry's app and security, BlackBerry needs Google ecosystem. An agreement is possible

Google can change OHA to introduce a special Qnx case in a second.
    Never say never

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree. Watch out for the OHA police around here though. They make the OHA out as though it's part of the constitution.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Deitzanova like this.
    07-08-15 10:09 AM
292 ... 45678 ...