09-28-15 05:50 PM
292 12345 ...
tools
    Think about it. If you were John Chen would you rather quit manufacturing devices or throw good money after bad and take a chance with android?
    You would stay and ride it out with BB10.
    It depends on how much you had to invest in BB10 to stay competitive with the likes of Android, iOS, and Windows Phone.
    07-07-15 03:57 PM
    Some of the big name developers should have deeper contact with some of BlackBerry's employees imo..

That could be the reason nemory released that statement, because while he can't say if he knows anything it could be 'something'..

Can anyone in the know at least give us a time frame for when whatever (if anything) BlackBerry have up their sleeve will be announced? Like within a month or 2 or 3???

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 03:58 PM
    Media: BlackBerry is stupid, if they switched to Android they could save the company.

Industry Headline: "HTC Posts Unaudited Q2 2015 Results, $166M Net Loss on $1.07B of Revenue"

Reality: HTC makes arguably the best, or one of the best, Android phones in the market today. Their revenues are tanking and losses are mounting. John Chen seems to be a numbers-first type of guy, I just cannot see him jumping in to the consumer Android phone market. A locked down Android device focused on enterprises (a la BlackPhone or Secutablet) would not be the Google Play Services phone the media and CB posters are looking for. Ultimately even if BlackBerry released an "Android" phone it is not going be a device you would want as a consumer.
    I love your answer.....People then to forget that blackberry boasts security....security....security....so releasing a full blown google phone will hurt their name so so badly.
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    07-07-15 04:05 PM
    Hypervisor as a way to officially access GPS is a non-starter. OHA requires the Android OS on bootup so no BB10. Plus Hypervisor will fragment BB10, no way it will run acceptably on low memory devices so probably only the Passport plus the new slider will be eligible.
    I don't know much about Android OS but I guess there must be a layer between Android OS and hardware. This layer would be QNX. The Android OS will boot up from QNX, the Hypervisor.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-07-15 04:41 PM
    I don't know much about Android OS but I guess there must be a layer between Android OS and hardware. This layer would be QNX. The Android OS will boot up from QNX, the Hypervisor.
    Bingo!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 04:47 PM
    Bingo!

Posted via CB10
    Except that QNX Hypervisor being installed would not meet the OHA requirements of Android Booting the device... thus it would be a non Google Play devices, thus it wouldn't be any better than BB10.

And while maybe the OHA might agree to this in order for BlackBerry to be able to make a truly "secure" device... the moment that they gave BlackBerry approval they would open the door to everyone else that wanted a custom version of Android or some preloader....which would lead to the problems that this rule was put into place to prevent. So I really doubt that BlackBerry is going to get some special exemption.
    07-07-15 04:55 PM
    The only way Hypervisor will be accepted by Google and even thats a tiny chance is to open source it. That way Google can tell its partners in OHA that they can use the same solution and it supports Android as a whole and Google changes the rules to everyones benefit. But we all know open source will never happen.
    07-07-15 05:00 PM
    So I was just talking an employee on BBM (he works with the BBM team and is testing the slider unit)' I've attached a picture for you to read...obviously you can't see his name since I don't want his name all over the place.....Read it for yourself.....
    Here's the problem with that - if they were going to pull the plug on BB10, most of the employees wouldn't never know.

When HP dropped the hammer on WebOS - the WebOS team were at an event promoting it and found out with the public and if memory serves me correctly the VP running the WebOS unit had no idea either.

As for the rest - the hypervisor stuff is the usual technical stuff that completely ignores the political reality that Google does not license anything but device that boot android and nothing but android and nothing else.
    07-07-15 05:01 PM
    Except that QNX Hypervisor being installed would not meet the OHA requirements of Android Booting the device... thus it would be a non Google Play devices, thus it wouldn't be any better than BB10.

And while maybe the OHA might agree to this in order for BlackBerry to be able to make a truly "secure" device... the moment that they gave BlackBerry approval they would open the door to everyone else that wanted a custom version of Android or some preloader....which would lead to the problems that this rule was put into place to prevent. So I really doubt that BlackBerry is going to get some special exemption.
    There is no custom version of Android involved. It is the same Android OS booted from QNX.
    07-07-15 05:02 PM
    This post made my day.

Thank you.
    07-07-15 05:04 PM

Why hypervisor can't boot Android from the start? If first screen has Android logo, it will meet OHA requirements

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 05:05 PM
    There is no custom version of Android involved. It is the same Android OS booted from QNX.
    It just would never fly - the technical solution can be as clever as you like but it doesn't overcome the political and it doesn't overcome the cultural. Google is not going to break up the OHA or do some deal for a company that ships less in a quarter than android does in a day.

Why hypervisor can't boot Android from the start? If first screen has Android logo, it will meet OHA requirements

Posted via CB10
    Joining the OHA is simply the *gateway* to be able to undertake the compliance tests to have GAPPS and google play on your device it's simply the first step not the end. What do we know about these compliance tests? Google can and does change them upto when you ship *at will* and always to their advantage.

The lawsuits and emails show us that this isn't really a technical process, it's a control process and it always changes to match what google wants or needs.
    07-07-15 05:05 PM
    Exactly this

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 05:07 PM
    Well Nemory is an ***** personally for one reason and one reason alone.....Quote to what he said:

NemOry Studios announced via Instagram that due to everything pointing to BlackBerry moving towards an Android-only future, he has decided to move on to iOS development.

So based on a RUMOR and RUMOR only you cease BB10 Development because of again a rumor that BB is going android?!?!? That is so silly.......who goes based off a rumor with no confirmation of BB10 itself.

Now if he made a decision after BB confirmed they are going android then what he is saying would make sense in a sense.
    Good luck to him competing with established big-name devs on iOS. Here in the BerrySphere at least he's got a name. Over there he's probably among the less experienced devs (to say the least) and a nobody. Unless all those leaving BB10 for iOS follow him there...

:-|

  Chendroid or not? - That is the question...  
    07-07-15 05:14 PM
    It just would never fly - the technical solution can be as clever as you like but it doesn't overcome the political and it doesn't overcome the cultural. Google is not going to break up the OHA or do some deal for a company that ships less in a quarter than android does in a day.

Joining the OHA is simply the *gateway* to be able to undertake the compliance tests to have GAPPS and google play on your device it's simply the first step not the end. What do we know about these compliance tests? Google can and does change them upto when you ship *at will* and always to their advantage.

The lawsuits and emails show us that this isn't really a technical process, it's a control process and it always changes to match what google wants or needs.
    Google simply don't cares about what's running under Android. If the device boots with Android OS and feel and runs like and Android device, there is no problem. BlackBerry gives Android a hard security layer, and Google is seeking for it to sell like "the securest android device until now"

BlackBerry wins, Google wins. "Win-win"
    Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 05:14 PM
    Here's the problem with that - if they were going to pull the plug on BB10, most of the employees wouldn't never know.

When HP dropped the hammer on WebOS - the WebOS team were at an event promoting it and found out with the public and if memory serves me correctly the VP running the WebOS unit had no idea either.

As for the rest - the hypervisor stuff is the usual technical stuff that completely ignores the political reality that Google does not license anything but device that boot android and nothing but android and nothing else.
    Do you mean Android has built-in boot code that works for any hardware?
    07-07-15 05:19 PM
    Google simply don't cares about what's running under Android. If the device boots with Android OS and feel and runs like and Android device, there is no problem. BlackBerry gives Android a hard security layer, and Google is seeking for it to sell like "the securest android device until now"

Posted via CB10
    Absolute rubbish - even a cursory glance of the Compatibility Definition tells you that isn't true.

Do you mean Android has built-in boot code that works for any hardware?
    No I mean something more fundamental than that - the technical discussions here completely ignore everything we know about google. Sure google could permit the use of a hypervisor, sure they could permit a dual-boot - but the likelihood of either is the same as Microsoft turning around on July 29th and saying "hey you know what, we are switching to Ubunutu".

treating this as a technical challenge makes as much sense as trying to bring down clouds by throwing your shoes at them.
    07-07-15 05:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes they do. Hypervisor allows running of a parallel OS besides Android on the same device. Google does not want that to happen and it uses OHA membership to prevent it as it strays too far from the standard Android experience. If economic realities weren't in play they'd even outlaw skins but it realizes that OHA OEMs must have something that draws them to HTC vs Samsung vs LG. That said, when Samsung wanted to further abstract Touchwiz from standard Android into a magazine style UI, Google put its foot down and now the result is that Touchwiz in S6 is lean in comparison to earlier versions.

OK people let's get real with these Android rumors and clear some stuff up...-kanqj9m.png
    OK people let's get real with these Android rumors and clear some stuff up...-rcxh15i.jpg
    Last edited by Ment; 07-07-15 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added example of Touchwiz Magazine UI 2014 CES
    07-07-15 05:27 PM
    Good point OP... made my day...

Posted via my awesome Classic
    07-07-15 05:33 PM
    Cmon guys let's be realistic, how much resourches needs a well built dual boot os? in terms of hardware, storage and most of all in development. I think that we'll see a double variant phone, one with a "blackberryed" android version (but stil android so then forget about hub, peek and swype up for minimize, just different ui looks and added secure), and one with native BB10.3.3 or above. This is i think the most realistic scenario looking to BB potential and capitals at the moment
    07-07-15 05:43 PM
    I think BlackBerry will aim the Android device to regular consumers and BB 10 for those Corp/Government accounts.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 05:53 PM
    Good luck to him competing with established big-name devs on iOS. Here in the BerrySphere at least he's got a name. Over there he's probably among the less experienced devs (to say the least) and a nobody. Unless all those leaving BB10 for iOS follow him there...

:-|

  Chendroid or not? - That is the question...  
    Exactly prem...... you're one of the few sensible people who post here on cb

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    vanrickman and Prem WatsApp like this.
    How about we look at this from the user's/purchaser's standpoint. Do you really want the first thing that shows up on boot to be a choice between QNX hypervisor and Android? How many users are going to even know what that means? Do they have to reboot to run an Android app? Outside of CrackBerry, do users really need QNX to be in there? Why not just have Android that works like Google intends it to. Security? Is this any less secure than the other Android devices that is managed by BES?
    pbfan likes this.
    How about we look at this from the user's/purchaser's standpoint. Do you really want the first thing that shows up on boot to be a choice between QNX hypervisor and Android? How many users are going to even know what that means? Do they have to reboot to run an Android app? Outside of CrackBerry, do users really need QNX to be in there? Why not just have Android that works like Google intends it to. Security? Is this any less secure than the other Android devices that is managed by BES?
    No. if a hypervisor is allowed, it can boot directly to BB10 or Android by configuration.
    07-07-15 06:34 PM
    Here's a concrete example of why dual OS/OS in VM won't ever be acceptable to Google. Frequently we hear in the forum about companies whose cross-platform apps have the BB version wholly lacking in feature parity and updates. This of course makes BB10 less desirable.

Lets say the BB Experience Chen wants to bring to Android is a runaway success, we'd all applaud. Its entirely probable that once a users gets tied to BB apps that they will spend more and more of their time there, calendar, notes etc. Also probable that BB Experience will never be as good on other platforms as BB10. Why would Google allow a temptation for a user who was formerly all in on Android to consider using the BB10 side of the phone more than Android. The answer is clear. NO WAY!
    07-07-15 06:34 PM
292 12345 ...