09-28-15 04:50 PM
292 1234 ...
tools
    BlackBerry will support Samsung with an Android phone and it will be strange to lauch an Android phone if you allready working with Samsung.
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-07-15 12:33 PM
    BlackBerry will support Samsung with an Android phone and it will be strange to lauch an Android phone if you allready working with Samsung.
    Exactly!!!!!!!!!! Good point!!!!
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-07-15 12:36 PM
    Is this how iOS and android are able to run over top of QNX infotainment system in automotive?

Z10
    07-07-15 12:38 PM
    Interesting points although I believe the Sliders that were shown off were just mock up units with a static screen image. Lol

Loving my Passport!
    07-07-15 12:47 PM
    Interesting points although I believe the Sliders that were shown off were just mock up units with a static screen image. Lol

Loving my Passport!
    LOL yah I know because even when you close it it still shows the images even without the backlight....
    07-07-15 12:49 PM
    I was actually speculating that the only way it can happen is Google asking BlackBerry to produce a PKB device in line of Nexus and in return release Google Apps like Gmail, Drive, Youtube etc for BB10.

But your logic is sound. BB may be polishing Android RT or testing running of Stock Android (minus Google add-ons) as separate OSes under Hypervisor.

So people will say if it has no Google Play services, its worthless. But it could be for enterprises which are running specific or company focused enterprise Android apps, which now will run efficiently. I am assuming these enterprises apps are NOT tied to Google Play services.

So both are true. Rumor that BB is working on Android and we BB fans want BB10 to sustain.
    Jakob Greve and gfondeur like this.
    07-07-15 12:53 PM
    I was actually speculating that the only way it can happen is Google asking BlackBerry to produce a PKB device in line of Nexus and in return release Google Apps like Gmail, Drive, Youtube etc for BB10.

But your logic is sound. BB may be polishing Android RT or testing running of Stock Android (minus Google add-ons) as separate OSes under Hypervisor.

So people will say if it has no Google Play services, its worthless. But it could be for enterprises which are running specific or company focused enterprise Android apps, which now will run efficiently. I am assuming these enterprises apps are NOT tied to Google Play services.

So both are true. Rumor that BB is working on Android and we BB fans want BB10 to sustain.
    Thank you . I personally don't care for google play services what I prefer is a better android experience in terms of performance and battery life. Running a forked android OS under the hypervisor will solve that.
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-07-15 12:56 PM
    Has it been shown that QNX can run hypervisor on a mobile device? That sounds like a lot of chip-level optimization in order to make it work much less be power efficient. This isn't really the way you want a smartphone to work in the long run. In order to cut hardware development costs and outsource as much as possible then stock Android would be more likely.
    07-07-15 12:58 PM
    Is this how iOS and android are able to run over top of QNX infotainment system in automotive?

Z10
    What I understand is that is similar to how BB10 is operating over QNX. Since QNX has not developed a front end, iOS and Android are developing the front end, syncing their devices while QNX does all the heavy lifting. Neither BB has helped QNX team to develop a front end to halt the march of iOS and Android into automotive space. That was one sector with good return rates.
    Nick Spagnolo likes this.
    07-07-15 01:01 PM
    hmm Google is probably OHA more or less. since BB is probably no threat to Google. couldn't they just cut them some slack. M$ helped Apple once so stranger things have happened
    07-07-15 01:16 PM
    hmm Google is probably OHA more or less. since BB is probably no threat to Google. couldn't they just cut them some slack. M$ helped Apple once so stranger things have happened
    I doubt it.......Open Handset Alliance rules can't be bent....sorry
    07-07-15 01:19 PM
    First time, I liked your thread .

Posted via CB10
    Anthony Roberts5 likes this.
    07-07-15 01:33 PM
    First time, I liked your thread .

Posted via CB10
    LOL oh its you LOL. I know right lol you hated me for defending old specs LOL. However I cannot wait for this high spec slider and will agree that specs do matter with this device .
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    07-07-15 01:35 PM
    Ok this is going to be a long one so be prepared.

First let's look at these android rumors and what OHA is and how it can and can't work for blackberry.

These are the rules when it comes to having an android runtime in your OS or forking android.

While Android is open source and available for everyone to use, the Google Play store and Google apps (Gmail, Google Calendar, Chrome, etc.) are only available to Google€™s partners in the Open Handset Alliance (OHA) that are certified by the Android Compatibility Program (ACP). It is free for anyone to join the alliance, but in doing so the company must agree to not fork Android and instead strive to avoid fragmentation of the Android platform. What this means is that a manufacturer like Acer cannot release a device that runs a non-compatible version of Android. If Acer wants to release a device with a non-compatible version of Android they can, but they€™ll have to leave the OHA and lose access to Google€™s ecosystem.

Now what this simply means is that if BB joins the OHA, Android Runtime will cease to exist on BB10 OS and that personally WILL NOT HAPPEN. Not only is it dumb but they alienate all BB10 devices (From the Z10 up to the Leap that was just released) and this push for amazon appstore and so on and a lot and I mean a lot of Android apps from BB world will not work. So we can take this out of the equation big big time. Especially with the recent release of the Leap and Classic still rolling out in different colors. Android will always be a part of BB10 either as a runtime or forked/full android OS as a seperate OS within QNX (BB10)

Now for sure though these rumors are all pointing to android being tested and most likely it is but not what you think. We have to take a look at the QNX hypervisor and Bla1ze did mention this at the podcast and I have to agree with him. They are working on a way to have Android work within or co-exist with BB10 or more specifically QNX now either two versions of this can happen......Fork android version OS as a seperate OS....this will improve android games and apps big time in terms of performance and battery life OR they will have Full Android with Google Ecosystem as well. How can BB and google work this out with option 2 with the QNX Hypervisor......no one knows. What would be great is if they can have android co exist with BB10 as a whole OS without being rooted thanks to QNX so that way android can be secure....

QNX Hypervisor allows embedded devices to operate two OS instances at the same time, even when one or both of the instances is running a realtime OS €“ something competing hypervisors don't always handle well.

With QNX Hypervisor, QNX claims customers will be able to gain all of the benefits of general-purpose OSes for usability while leaving the timing-critical heavy lifting to QNX Neutrino (which is what it does best).

The company says the performance cost of running OS instances on its hypervisor is in the "very low single-digit percentage range" in its initial tests.

In addition to isolating sensitive workloads from less critical ones, QNX says using virtualization can also cut down hardware costs by allowing both OS instances to share the same devices and GPUs. GPU sharing works cross-platform and even across multiple screens, while running two QNX instances at the same time allows both to share a wide range of devices without writing custom drivers, via patented QNX tech.

Plus people why do you think it's the end of BB10??? Just because of no new SDK's.....people we are still on 10.3......10.3.1....10.3.2....are just performance and bug fixes with improved android runtime and a few new feature add on's to the OS why would be a NEW SDK to work with??? BB10 is essential to BB plan in terms of.......yup you guessed it security and privacy and they are focused on enterprise.

Plus they just ANNOUNCED they are working on the follow update 10.3.3:

BlackBerry 10.3.2 is coming soon to our customers in the rest of the world. So look for the notification on the BlackBerry Hub that the update is ready for you to download.

We€™re already working on the follow-up update, BlackBerry 10.3.3 and will keep you posted over the coming months.

You guys think that all of a sudden oops no more BB10 your shut down completely in a couple of months??? BB would be bankrupt....the amount of enterprise customers they would lose and revenue is not even funny......look at their customers:

AEG Ogden is responsible for the management of Australia€™s most iconic venues, including Allphones Arena, Sydney Exhibition Centre, the Brisbane Entertainment Centre and Suncorp Stadium. Dirk Hoffman, AEG€™s CIO for the Middle East, Asia and Pacific says, €œAs Airwatch could not meet our security requirements, we have rolled-out BES12 as our enterprise mobility platform. We have also deployed BlackBerry Passport and BlackBerry Classic devices, and now in the process of making BES12 our one-stop solution to manage all other mobile devices in our APAC network, including those running iOS and Android.€

As a chosen mobile solutions provider for all of the G7 governments, BlackBerry continues to be a trusted partner to governments across the globe. To date, BlackBerry has received more than 50 government certifications and the BlackBerry 10 platform remains the only mobility solution to receive the coveted Full Operational Capability (FOC) certification to run on DoD networks.

Yah let's drop that and all we stand for as a company very smart thing to do for security

Also did you not see the Slider image that was taken???

That CLEARLY is RUNNING BB10!!!! That is physical PROOF....

Now remember I can be completely wrong and BB can do something radical and weird and totally dismiss everything here when we see it with our own eyes LOL. I will admit when I am wrong and so on but we can't ignore the OHA rules when it comes to android.

What I hope and I mean this for sales for the slider that they find a way to have the slider have android and BB10 in one phone and what would be even more amazing is that this OS upgrade can be passed onto the older generation devices as well

At the end of the day the slider will run BB10...but how they improve android on it either the runtime or a forked OS within BB10 we just have to wait and see.

What do you guys think?

UPDATE:

So I was just talking an employee on BBM (he works with the BBM team and is testing the slider unit)' I've attached a picture for you to read...obviously you can't see his name since I don't want his name all over the place.....Read it for yourself.....
    I read it and you were so close to a leak,which I interpreted as BB is coming out with a killer phone running BB10,can't wait and I must say I admire your Passion for BB,lol
    Anthony Roberts5 likes this.
    07-07-15 01:38 PM
    I like it when people read the forums and take research quotes in the precise order it was provided and NOT give credit for those doing the leg work for them!

nice one.

the sad thing is the links where already provided for you and yet you left them out. too bad your formatting gives your 'resarch' away.
    vegetto_456 likes this.
    07-07-15 01:43 PM

Z10
    Carplay and Android Auto basically interacts with a QNX app that acts an interpreter for input/commands each respective platform understands and facilitates the screen mirroring. There is no IOS or Android OS running on QNX in the car.
    07-07-15 01:46 PM
    Well Nemory is an ***** personally for one reason and one reason alone.....Quote to what he said:

NemOry Studios announced via Instagram that due to everything pointing to BlackBerry moving towards an Android-only future, he has decided to move on to iOS development.

So based on a RUMOR and RUMOR only you cease BB10 Development because of again a rumor that BB is going android?!?!? That is so silly.......who goes based off a rumor with no confirmation of BB10 itself.

Now if he made a decision after BB confirmed they are going android then what he is saying would make sense in a sense.
    BlackBerry told developers to start developing for Android and submit to Android app store. BLACKBERRY! BLACKBERRY! Straight from Chenidict Arnold's lips! So blame Chen and his inability to lay out or control any messages. Also I doubt the BBM team knows much about what is happening in other groups. They are too busy figuring out new ways to spam people with ads and stickers and degrading the BBM experience. Don't blame others for BlackBerry's incompetence.

Posted via Z30
    07-07-15 01:52 PM
    I doubt it.......Open Handset Alliance rules can't be bent....sorry
    Like any rules, I think you'll agree that they can indeed be bent, broken, ignored, or an agreement made. I'm not sure what is happening, but something unusual is taking place behind the BlackBerry doors right now. We shall find out soon no doubt.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    07-07-15 01:57 PM
    Anthony,

Biggest problem with your argument is..... things can't stay as they are. BB10 is dying - maybe BlackBerry pulls it and replaces it with Android, or it stays for another year and Chen just pulls the plug on the whole hardware division. I have no idea if Android is really coming or not, and if it comes I'm not sure what it would really accomplish. Other than to fill the keyboard market that most OEM's seem to have written off due to almost no interest.

What I do find interesting it that CHEN could have cleared this all up and said we have two new BB10 devices coming this year. Would have been pretty simple and would have kill any speculation... but then he is getting a number of free headlines out of this rumor so maybe he is just milking it for as long as he can.
    07-07-15 02:00 PM
    This backs up OP's post.
    Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Especially this paragraph.
    As for whether either phone might be Android, Mr Ball is sticking to the company line. “BlackBerry doesn’t comment on rumour or speculation, “ he said. But he said CEO John Chen had recently announced he would look at Android if BlackBerry could put Android on a phone and secure it completely.

Any struggling phone making company is only one innovative, game changing device away from hitting it big time. That device will be the slider powered by BB10. People should rather be speculating on what Chen has up his sleeve to sort out the app problem. It's too late now for BB10 to change to android.
    07-07-15 02:17 PM
    I read it and you were so close to a leak,which I interpreted as BB is coming out with a killer phone running BB10,can't wait and I must say I admire your Passion for BB,lol
    Thanks
    07-07-15 02:28 PM
    why can't it mean that BlackBerry will release the slider w BBOS10 on it, AND Android on it?

BlackBerry obviously realizes that people dont really care about security.
    They already allow APKs loaded on the current BBOS10.
    so why not release BlackBerry w/ android on it, load BB Suites on it, and make $$$ off of it?!
    07-07-15 02:28 PM
    Think about it. If you were John Chen would you rather quit manufacturing devices or throw good money after bad and take a chance with android?
    You would stay and ride it out with BB10.
    07-07-15 02:52 PM
    Think about it. If you were John Chen would you rather quit manufacturing devices or throw good money after bad and take a chance with android?
    You would stay and ride it out with BB10.
    Oh yah I know and I know he will....
    07-07-15 02:56 PM
    Media: BlackBerry is stupid, if they switched to Android they could save the company.

Industry Headline: "HTC Posts Unaudited Q2 2015 Results, $166M Net Loss on $1.07B of Revenue"

Reality: HTC makes arguably the best, or one of the best, Android phones in the market today. Their revenues are tanking and losses are mounting. John Chen seems to be a numbers-first type of guy, I just cannot see him jumping in to the consumer Android phone market. A locked down Android device focused on enterprises (a la BlackPhone or Secutablet) would not be the Google Play Services phone the media and CB posters are looking for. Ultimately even if BlackBerry released an "Android" phone it is not going be a device you would want as a consumer.
    07-07-15 02:57 PM
292 1234 ...