09-28-15 04:50 PM
292 ... 101112
tools
    My valuables are perfectly safe if I can control who has access to the lock. Otherwise, without root, even I don't have access to the lock.
    How would you know if it had been rooted before it even got to you? If you can gain root privileges, then others could too. It's the same argument regarding the govt wanting tech makers to provide encryption backdoors. Just look at some of the NSA tactics or the millions of digital picture frames that left their factories infected with malware. You guys aren't looking at the big picture in regards to security. A proper security model is based on the possibilities, not just the most probables.
    07-10-15 09:22 PM
    How would you know if it had been rooted before it even got to you?
    Because that's not how rooting as we know it works. What you're proposing is not rooting, but malware with root access - the latter does not necessarily require what is known as a rootable device. It would need a very different (and far more dangerous) kind of exploit.

If you can gain root privileges, then others could too.
    Sure, but it's insanely unlikely. Using the typical rooting process, someone would have to:

-Steal your phone
    -Know the password to unlock it (unless you aren't using one)
    -Run a backup of some sort (your device will be wiped when the bootloader is unlocked)
    -Install the appropriate rooting software, hope it doesn't mess with anything that you could notice (Samsung Knox is known to cause a lot of problems with root, for example. Often has to be removed)
    -Restore the backup (which I believe would involve re-entering a whole lot of passwords)
    -Install malware and grant root access to it
    -Hide the malware and hide the app used to grant root access (not sure if this is even possible on most devices)
    -Return the phone to you, without you knowing that any of this has happened

And still the root access will likely disappear next time you get a software update. If an attacker has this level of access, rooting is not likely to be the most effective thing to do.

It's the same argument regarding the govt wanting tech makers to provide encryption backdoors.
    Nope. Encryption backdoors are technically unfeasible, a secure device that is rootable is not.

Just look at some of the NSA tactics or the millions of digital picture frames that left their factories infected with malware.
    Again, not how rooting typically works. It would leave traces behind to indicate it's rooted (i.e. an app like SuperSU, Samsung Knox going missing). If the NSA wants to do anything of the sort, it'd have to involve a much more nefarious exploit, as I mentioned earlier.

A proper security model is based on the possibilities, not just the most probables.
    Not entirely true - probability is a very important consideration in security. We know nothing is truly secure, so we have to build software that is most probably secure. This is especially true if you're building software aimed at regular consumers, rather than high-value targets. You'll start to get diminishing returns for the average user as you implement more safeguards - the phone will become slower and less convenient, all while providing a minimal decrease in the probability of that user being hacked.

The possibilities are still important to consider, of course. But you need to understand how something works before you can evaluate the possibilities. Malware with root access is theoretically possible on any platform. But all of them have safeguards in place to make it very difficult to build such a thing.
    07-10-15 10:35 PM
    How would you know if it had been rooted before it even got to you? If you can gain root privileges, then others could too. It's the same argument regarding the govt wanting tech makers to provide encryption backdoors. Just look at some of the NSA tactics or the millions of digital picture frames that left their factories infected with malware. You guys aren't looking at the big picture in regards to security. A proper security model is based on the possibilities, not just the most probables.
    Have you ever actually rooted a device? There's a reason my signature has an S3 for "playing". It's called I like to code and tinker, and that S3 is in fact rooted.
    07-10-15 11:16 PM
    One way to get around the OHA rules would be to make the new android phones Samsung-branded devices. Blackberry develops and licences certain components: the BlackBerry experience suite, the capacitive keyboard, etc.

Maybe there's some limited use of the BlackBerry brand on the Samsung phones, like "Powered by Android, Secured by BlackBerry"

However, since the phone isn't technically a BlackBerry-branded device, BlackBerry is free to continue to develop its own bb10 line of phones with the Android runtime.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    That would work.... assuming that Samsung was ready to give up on KNOX.

Samsung worked with BlackBerry to allow KNOX and BES to work together. I don't see them working on a 2nd means of securing Android.
    07-13-15 07:50 AM
    Have you ever actually rooted a device? There's a reason my signature has an S3 for "playing". It's called I like to code and tinker, and that S3 is in fact rooted.
    You're so talented.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Xaiux likes this.
    07-13-15 08:46 AM
    Well Nemory is an ***** personally for one reason and one reason alone.....Quote to what he said:

NemOry Studios announced via Instagram that due to everything pointing to BlackBerry moving towards an Android-only future, he has decided to move on to iOS development.

So based on a RUMOR and RUMOR only you cease BB10 Development because of again a rumor that BB is going android?!?!? That is so silly.......who goes based off a rumor with no confirmation of BB10 itself.

Now if he made a decision after BB confirmed they are going android then what he is saying would make sense in a sense.
    Nemory is far from an a hole. He always answered questions for me quickly and still does regarding his apps.
    07-15-15 04:22 PM
    Nemory is far from an a hole. He always answered questions for me quickly and still does regarding his apps.
    You should take a look at both inst10's and Twittlys forums, they're both dead. Nem only recites the apps FAQ, implying that it's user error when it clearly isn't.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ιт > 
    extisis likes this.
    07-16-15 06:50 AM
    Why do people care so much about nemory studios leaving bb10 development. None of his apps were of a high quality. He seemed to rush every project and leave them in an unfinished state plagued with bugs. Then he would add in random "features" to sell a premium version while using apis that he didnt own.

Posted via CB10
    ZeBB45 likes this.
    07-17-15 06:47 AM
    Well Nemory is an ***** personally for one reason and one reason alone.....Quote to what he said:

NemOry Studios announced via Instagram that due to everything pointing to BlackBerry moving towards an Android-only future, he has decided to move on to iOS development.

So based on a RUMOR and RUMOR only you cease BB10 Development because of again a rumor that BB is going android?!?!? That is so silly.......who goes based off a rumor with no confirmation of BB10 itself.

Now if he made a decision after BB confirmed they are going android then what he is saying would make sense in a sense.
    Yeah, good luck with that. His apps are primarily replacements for popular apps not available to BB10 natively. iOS already has Snapchat, Instagram, etc.. And the moment he tries to submit an app to the Apple Appstore that reverse engineers somebody else's APIs, he's in for a rude awakening when they don't get approved. His only successes are with apps that are (reportedly by some) mediocre, and only get used because they were the only alternatives to apps missing from BB10.
    07-17-15 10:19 AM
    Yeah, good luck with that. His apps are primarily replacements for popular apps not available to BB10 natively. iOS already has Snapchat, Instagram, etc.. And the moment he tries to submit an app to the Apple Appstore that reverse engineers somebody else's APIs, he's in for a rude awakening when they don't get approved. His only successes are with apps that are (reportedly by some) mediocre, and only get used because they were the only alternatives to apps missing from BB10.
    He filled a need. Nothing wrong with that. I never used any of the apps. I have concerns about using a third party app that may or may not be using a server side solution for intermediary processing. However, this is what BlackBerry people do to developers, treat them like garbage on reviews and the forums. He is basically being forced by Chen to move to other platforms because he told them to and BlackBerry appears to be going Android. Not saying you are because you are not a huge BlackBerry fan, but others here are and it's part of the reason why developers probably avoid the ungrateful BlackBerry base. He would rather put effort into iOS than Android because their is more money to be in iOS than Android because the user base is more affluent and willing to pay for apps.

Posted via Z30
    07-18-15 07:01 AM
    ..He would rather put effort into iOS than Android because their is more money to be in iOS than Android because the user base is more affluent and willing to pay for apps.

Posted via Z30
    And that's right.. But, if you consider how many "huge development teams" are into both Android and iOS you could easily see that for an indipendent developer can be really hard to succeed in their stores..

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 07:47 AM
    I can't see him having much success on those platforms. His apps were of terrible quality on bb10

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    07-18-15 09:25 AM
    I can't see him having much success on those platforms. His apps were of terrible quality on bb10

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't define them "terrible"...I would define them betas instead. He works on his own and was trying to follow the development of messenger,instagram,tinder etc ect..Too much for a single dev,even if talented.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 01:25 PM
    Having root privileges only undermines the security model for us non-BES consumers. BES and other mobile device management systems achieve the desired security by separating work and personal spaces and using encryption to secure work related documents and communications.
    Not entirely true. At least one system, Good, checks to see if the device it is on is rooted before it accesses the encrypted workspace.
    07-18-15 06:28 PM
    Meraki and Airwatch can refuse to connect to a rooted or jailbroken device.
    07-18-15 11:15 PM
    Ok this is going to be a long one so be prepared.

First let's look at these android rumors and what OHA is and how it can and can't work for blackberry.

These are the rules when it comes to having an android runtime in your OS or forking android.

While Android is open source and available for everyone to use, the Google Play store and Google apps (Gmail, Google Calendar, Chrome, etc.) are only available to Google’s partners in the Open Handset Alliance (OHA) that are certified by the Android Compatibility Program (ACP). It is free for anyone to join the alliance, but in doing so the company must agree to not fork Android and instead strive to avoid fragmentation of the Android platform. What this means is that a manufacturer like Acer cannot release a device that runs a non-compatible version of Android. If Acer wants to release a device with a non-compatible version of Android they can, but they’ll have to leave the OHA and lose access to Google’s ecosystem.

Now what this simply means is that if BB joins the OHA, Android Runtime will cease to exist on BB10 OS and that personally WILL NOT HAPPEN. Not only is it dumb but they alienate all BB10 devices (From the Z10 up to the Leap that was just released) and this push for amazon appstore and so on and a lot and I mean a lot of Android apps from BB world will not work. So we can take this out of the equation big big time. Especially with the recent release of the Leap and Classic still rolling out in different colors. Android will always be a part of BB10 either as a runtime or forked/full android OS as a seperate OS within QNX (BB10)

Now for sure though these rumors are all pointing to android being tested and most likely it is but not what you think. We have to take a look at the QNX hypervisor and Bla1ze did mention this at the podcast and I have to agree with him. They are working on a way to have Android work within or co-exist with BB10 or more specifically QNX now either two versions of this can happen......Fork android version OS as a seperate OS....this will improve android games and apps big time in terms of performance and battery life OR they will have Full Android with Google Ecosystem as well. How can BB and google work this out with option 2 with the QNX Hypervisor......no one knows. What would be great is if they can have android co exist with BB10 as a whole OS without being rooted thanks to QNX so that way android can be secure....

QNX Hypervisor allows embedded devices to operate two OS instances at the same time, even when one or both of the instances is running a realtime OS – something competing hypervisors don't always handle well.

With QNX Hypervisor, QNX claims customers will be able to gain all of the benefits of general-purpose OSes for usability while leaving the timing-critical heavy lifting to QNX Neutrino (which is what it does best).

The company says the performance cost of running OS instances on its hypervisor is in the "very low single-digit percentage range" in its initial tests.

In addition to isolating sensitive workloads from less critical ones, QNX says using virtualization can also cut down hardware costs by allowing both OS instances to share the same devices and GPUs. GPU sharing works cross-platform and even across multiple screens, while running two QNX instances at the same time allows both to share a wide range of devices without writing custom drivers, via patented QNX tech.

Plus people why do you think it's the end of BB10??? Just because of no new SDK's.....people we are still on 10.3......10.3.1....10.3.2....are just performance and bug fixes with improved android runtime and a few new feature add on's to the OS why would be a NEW SDK to work with??? BB10 is essential to BB plan in terms of.......yup you guessed it security and privacy and they are focused on enterprise.

Plus they just ANNOUNCED they are working on the follow update 10.3.3:

BlackBerry 10.3.2 is coming soon to our customers in the rest of the world. So look for the notification on the BlackBerry Hub that the update is ready for you to download.

We’re already working on the follow-up update, BlackBerry 10.3.3 and will keep you posted over the coming months.

You guys think that all of a sudden oops no more BB10 your shut down completely in a couple of months??? BB would be bankrupt....the amount of enterprise customers they would lose and revenue is not even funny......look at their customers:

AEG Ogden is responsible for the management of Australia’s most iconic venues, including Allphones Arena, Sydney Exhibition Centre, the Brisbane Entertainment Centre and Suncorp Stadium. Dirk Hoffman, AEG’s CIO for the Middle East, Asia and Pacific says, “As Airwatch could not meet our security requirements, we have rolled-out BES12 as our enterprise mobility platform. We have also deployed BlackBerry Passport and BlackBerry Classic devices, and now in the process of making BES12 our one-stop solution to manage all other mobile devices in our APAC network, including those running iOS and Android.”

As a chosen mobile solutions provider for all of the G7 governments, BlackBerry continues to be a trusted partner to governments across the globe. To date, BlackBerry has received more than 50 government certifications and the BlackBerry 10 platform remains the only mobility solution to receive the coveted Full Operational Capability (FOC) certification to run on DoD networks.

Yah let's drop that and all we stand for as a company very smart thing to do for security

Also did you not see the Slider image that was taken???

That CLEARLY is RUNNING BB10!!!! That is physical PROOF....

Now remember I can be completely wrong and BB can do something radical and weird and totally dismiss everything here when we see it with our own eyes LOL. I will admit when I am wrong and so on but we can't ignore the OHA rules when it comes to android

Please please please please please people read this officially from Google themselves!!!!!!!

https://source.android.com/compatibility/index.html

Licensing Google Mobile Services (GMS)
    After building an Android compatible device, consider licensing Google Mobile Services (GMS), Googles proprietary suite of apps (Google Play, YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, and more ) that run on top of Android. GMS is not part of the Android Open Source Project and is available only through a license with Google. For information on how to request a GMS license, see Contact Us.

What I hope and I mean this for sales for the slider that they find a way to have the slider have android and BB10 in one phone and what would be even more amazing is that this OS upgrade can be passed onto the older generation devices as well

At the end of the day the slider will run BB10...but how they improve android on it either the runtime or a forked OS within BB10 we just have to wait and see.

What do you guys think?
    It's officially now Android
    RodolfoAP and techvisor like this.
    09-28-15 12:18 AM
    BlackBerry OS 10 is not QNX. They are different animals in the embedded space.
    09-28-15 04:50 PM
292 ... 101112