09-28-15 05:50 PM
292 ... 89101112
tools
    I get what you mean. But it's not exclusive boot. Breaks the OHA rules.
    Basically you can't offer anything but a boot on Android with appropriate logos, mentions and so on. Seems like a detail, but it's not. It's there for a good reason.

Posted via CB10
    You know my friend that Google can break his own rules in a second. It's only a paper and a bunch of obedient hard makers. Maybe possible, maybe not, but hypervisor can be powerful enough to change Google mind.

Time will tell

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-09-15 10:19 AM
    Beyond the language of the OHA agreements, I still think the bigger question is why Google would allow any case where a user has full access to their ecosystem and full access to someone else's OS at the same time.

I fully understand why BB10 fans would love this, but I can't understand how this would be an acceptable tradeoff for Google. That's why I think this deal is about securing Android, and has nothing to do with BB10 at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I agree.
    07-09-15 10:44 AM
    BlackBerry reportedly plans to roll out multiple models of Android-based smartphones in the second half of 2015...

"While running on Android OS, the new BlackBerry smartphones will also integrate some software functions of BlackBerry OS and application services such as BES12, BBM and BlackBerry Blend, said the sources." |-)

BlackBerry to roll out Android-based smartphones in 2H15, say sources

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | CB Mod
    It definitely looks like Chen is planning to meet the needs of his BES 12 enterprise customers by supplying them with BlackBerry phones running Android. According to the reddit article there's no Hub included. I guess the BlackBerry experience part would just be to ease the transition for former BB10 users.
    07-09-15 11:17 AM
    It definitely looks like Chen is planning to meet the needs of his BES 12 enterprise customers by supplying them with BlackBerry phones running Android. According to the reddit article there's no Hub included. I guess the BlackBerry experience part would just be to ease the transition for former BB10 users.
    Would be hilarious if Apple came in and bought BlackBerry and squashed all Google support to try to keep Google back in the business space. I seriously don't think most businesses want Android over iOS. Federal customers are the same from what I see and hear. The only advantage is cheaper hardware, but if you are buying flagship Android not that much savings over the iPhone.

Posted via Z30
    07-09-15 11:29 AM
    If BlackBerry were to release a completely separate Android device would anything in the OHA prevent them from doing so? Other handset makers put out devices for several platforms (even the exact same device). That is what I suspect will happen: BlackBerry puts out a series of Android devices and BB10 ones basically die of old age.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 11:29 AM
    Can anyone recall if any of the rumors under Chen turned out to be true? I can't recall anything specific.
    I don't discount any rumors, anymore, ever since someone heard about the AT&T passport with the rounded corners almost a year ago: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssport-952283/
    undone, jmr1015 and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    07-09-15 12:54 PM
    If BlackBerry were to release a completely separate Android device would anything in the OHA prevent them from doing so? Other handset makers put out devices for several platforms (even the exact same device). That is what I suspect will happen: BlackBerry puts out a series of Android devices and BB10 ones basically die of old age.

Posted via CB10
    Providing they remove the Android runtime from BB10, nothing prevents them.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-09-15 01:43 PM
    Those two things completely contradict one another. If they could actually add "security features" to Android, preventing rooting would be one of the most important features.
    I guess I'm just not quite clear on why the user having access to root is such a bad thing. Sure, the average consumer has no need and could easily mess up their device from having that permission. For more advanced users though, it should be a relatively easily accessible option.
    07-09-15 02:32 PM
    If, and that's a big if, the Reddit article about no Hub is true, that would be so disappointing. The Hub is so unique. I know that BlackBerry talked about bringing the BlackBerry experience to other platforms, but wouldn't that include the Hub?
    07-09-15 02:33 PM
    I guess I'm just not quite clear on why the user having access to root is such a bad thing. Sure, the average consumer has no need and could easily mess up their device from having that permission. For more advanced users though, it should be a relatively easily accessible option.
    I definitely consider it a huge plus.
    07-09-15 03:04 PM
    07-09-15 03:44 PM
    ? BOOM... what?

This is an extension of what both BlackBerry and Google have already announced a few months ago - BES12 will work better with Android.

Doesn't mean that BlackBerry is or is not going to release a Android Device. Of course they sure are working hard to make BB10 obsolete.
    07-09-15 04:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    So long as the kill the android runtime in BB10, no there isn't anything restricting them.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 04:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    BB10 has an Android Player which is "considered" a forked version of Android and does not meet OHA guidelines.

No other OHA OEM is building none compliant devices with forked versions of Android. Windows is not yet a forked version of Android, and Samsung doesn't launch Tizen with the ability to load Android Apps... you have to do some sideloading.

Android can be installed without OHA approval. But without it you aren't going to get Google approval and access to Google Store/Services. Many low end Android devices are not approved and don't have all the real google goodness. They rely on 3rd party stores... which is where most of the malware comes from.
    07-09-15 04:09 PM
    *Reads Article*

Wow! Such a great read! I'm even more excited for the Slider now! If it's dual OS, I'm tossing this iPhone 6 Plus in the bushes!
    If it does happen can I let you have my address so you can toss it into my bushes? lol
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    07-09-15 04:21 PM
    Ta daaaa... Have you seen? Google-BlackBerry partnership is real. An agreement to modify OHA is not impossible, because will benefit both

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 04:38 PM
    If it does happen can I let you have my address so you can toss it into my bushes? lol
    Never say never

Posted via CB10
    m3ach likes this.
    07-09-15 04:39 PM
    Ta daaaa... Have you seen? Google-BlackBerry partnership is real. An agreement to modify OHA is not impossible, because will benefit both

Posted via CB10
    Have you read what it says the partnership is...?

Did you know this was first announced back in February of this year?

Did you know that Google announced partnerships on Android for Work with companies including SAP SE, Samsung, BlackBerry and SOTI Inc. This just level's the playing field for BES as other EMMs already had the ability to mange Google's suite of mobile productivity tools.

It is a very GOOD thing, but it isn't a sign that Google is desperate for BlackBerry's help.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-09-15 04:49 PM
    Because gaining root privileges undermines the security model. How do you secure something when someone else can gain the rights to change your security settings? It's like locking all your valuables in a safe when anyone can override the lock. How safe are your valuables?
    07-09-15 04:59 PM
    All people here thinks OHA is sacred word, but we must remember Google owns OHA and owns Android.

They can do whatever they please with OHA and Android. If Google reach an agreement with BlackBerry to change OHA terms, all is possible, including to make "legal" QNX hypervisor.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-09-15 05:07 PM
    Because gaining root privileges undermines the security model. How do you secure something when someone else can gain the rights to change your security settings? It's like locking all your valuables in a safe when anyone can override the lock. How safe are your valuables?
    That's severely oversimplifying how rooting works. Even if you've already rooted your device, someone would still need to implant malware that could take advantage of these newly-unlocked privileges. But any app that wants to use root permissions has to request them - and if you possess the technical knowledge to bother with rooting, hopefully you'll be smart enough to deny any suspect apps such a privilege.

If, however, you haven't rooted your device like the vast majority of Android users, the traditional rooting process is nearly impossible to take advantage of as an exploit - it would take a pretty absurd set of circumstances.
    Tre Lawrence and mornhavon like this.
    07-09-15 05:09 PM
    Have you read what it says the partnership is...?

Did you know this was first announced back in February of this year?

Did you know that Google announced partnerships on Android for Work with companies including SAP SE, Samsung, BlackBerry and SOTI Inc. This just level's the playing field for BES as other EMMs already had the ability to mange Google's suite of mobile productivity tools.

It is a very GOOD thing, but it isn't a sign that Google is desperate for BlackBerry's help.
    OK, I know this, but it shows that an agreement between Google and BlackBerry in others markets (consumers, for example) is perfectly possible.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 05:10 PM
    All people here thinks OHA is sacred word, but we must remember Google owns OHA and owns Android.

They can do whatever they please with OHA and Android. If Google reach an agreement with BlackBerry to change OHA terms, all is possible, including to make "legal" QNX hypervisor.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know that you're wrong.

Still, I highly doubt Google will bend its OHA rules for any entity, and especially not BlackBerry. It doesn't need to. Those rules protect Google's interests, and nothing BlackBerry has would compel it to.

I am a big believer in "never say never" with regards to tech, but I doubt Google will invite grumbling to help BBRY. I do believe there is a tendency on these forums to read a bit too much into BBRY partnerships.
    LazyEvul, jmr1015 and mornhavon like this.
    07-09-15 05:13 PM
    I don't know that you're wrong.

Still, I highly doubt Google will bend its OHA rules for any entity, and especially not BlackBerry. It doesn't need to. Those rules protect Google's interests, and nothing BlackBerry has would compel it to.

I am a big believer in "never say never" with regards to tech, but I doubt Google will invite grumbling to help BBRY. I do believe there is a tendency on these forums to read a bit too much into BBRY partnerships.
    Time will tell... have you ever wondered why BlackBerry spends time and money making possible an hypervisor that runs Android on top??? Only for cars? Sure not.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 05:17 PM
    Time will tell... have you ever wondered why BlackBerry spends time and money making possible an hypervisor that runs Android on top??? Only for cars? Sure not.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry have spent many billions of dollars on many different things that the rest of the world weren't interested in.

The question isn't why does BlackBerry find a hypervisor implementation for ARM interesting. The question is why would *Google* find it interesting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 07-09-15 at 05:36 PM.
    LazyEvul, jmr1015 and mornhavon like this.
    07-09-15 05:21 PM
292 ... 89101112