09-23-13 03:44 PM
    BBM for Android and iPhone update – Note from the head of BBM
    Posted by Andrew Bocking
    Hi Android and iPhone users,

This is Andrew Bocking, head of BBM at BlackBerry. As a follow up to our first blog post on Saturday, I want to take a moment to provide you with an update on the rollout of BBM on Android and iPhone.

Last week, an unreleased, older version of the BBM for Android app was posted on numerous file sharing sites. We were aware of an issue with this unreleased version of the BBM for Android app. This older version resulted in volumes of data traffic orders of magnitude higher than normal for each active user and impacted the system in abnormal ways. The version we were planning to release on Saturday addressed these issues, however we could not block users of the unreleased version if we went ahead with the launch.

We attempted to address the problems caused by the unreleased version throughout the day on Saturday, but as active users of the unreleased app neared a million – and accelerated – it became clear that the only way to address the issue was to pause the rollout for both Android and iPhone.

The team is now focused on adjusting the system to completely block this unreleased version of the Android app when we go live with the official BBM for Android app. We are also making sure that the system is reinforced to handle this kind of scenario in the future. While this may sound like a simple task – it’s not. This will take some time and I do not anticipate launching this week.

Thank you for your patience while we take the time needed to deliver the experience you expect from BBM. We will continue to provide you with updates here on InsideBlackBerry.com and through @BBM on Twitter. We will notify everyone who has pre-registered on BBM.com when BBM is available on Android and iPhone.

Andrew Bocking
    EVP, BBM
    Last edited by elite1; 09-23-13 at 03:54 PM. Reason: wrapped BB blog post in QUOTE tags
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-23-13 03:51 PM
    Not sure yet if this is posted elsewhere or not, but I hadn't seen it yet anyway. So thanks for sharing!
    09-23-13 03:53 PM
    Still makes no sense they pulled the ios app
    09-23-13 03:53 PM
    Exactly.
    09-23-13 03:54 PM
    again with the leaked bs? c'mon!
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 03:55 PM
    Oh Adam's on top of this too. He had it on the front page about a minute before this thread.

BBM for Android and iPhone update | CrackBerry.com
    diegonei likes this.
    09-23-13 04:00 PM
    Not sure yet if this is posted elsewhere or not, but I hadn't seen it yet anyway. So thanks for sharing!
    It was actually.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...psonse-852204/
    09-23-13 04:11 PM
    He is FOS. Every insider already knows and has already reported that the leaked version was the final approved version. It was just FUBARed. (There were communication issues because of BB Channels). I know it, he knows it, and anyone paying attention knows it. BB makes themselves look silly and distrustful with this type of arrogant lies.
    If you can't admit the truth and apologize, rather than continuing to blame others, you deserve your fate.

EDIT** - Let me add that at least one senior CB person is aware of these facts too. Not sure this BS will get called out on front page. But it should.
    09-23-13 04:12 PM
    That thread's based on the weekend statement; this one's a new update today from BBRY's Executive VP of BBM.

Wanted members to know there's an update on the update!
    09-23-13 04:25 PM
    He is FOS. Every insider already knows and has already reported that the leaked version was the final approved version. It was just FUBARed. (There were communication issues because of BB Channels). I know it, he knows it, and anyone paying attention knows it. BB makes themselves look silly and distrustful with this type of arrogant lies.
    If you can't admit the truth and apologize, rather than continuing to blame others, you deserve your fate.

EDIT** - Let me add that at least one senior CB person is aware of these facts too. Not sure this BS will get called out on front page. But it should.
    I understood that the "problem" leaked version was .42 while the final release was .50 iirc.

And the BBM Channels issue was between iOS & BB users on Saturday. The official iOS release should have been on Sunday.
    I know at some point on Sunday it started working, with BB users' BBM messages being delivered to iOS users that had managed to load it.

Not commenting on the rest or giving any opinion on it, just on those specific points.
    09-23-13 04:31 PM
    Then, why'd they gave the release date?
    09-23-13 04:35 PM
    I light of the news about BBRY being taken private what exactly is the point of going XBBM? I dont see any way to monitize it at the moment. Everyone hopes that the droid ios users will love it and rush down to buy a new phone. Don't see that happening. All I see is a cost to BBRY both in Goodwill and money.
    09-23-13 05:43 PM
    I light of the news about BBRY being taken private what exactly is the point of going XBBM? I dont see any way to monitize it at the moment. Everyone hopes that the droid ios users will love it and rush down to buy a new phone. Don't see that happening. All I see is a cost to BBRY both in Goodwill and money.
    I'm also having a hard time buying the leak was the cause of it all.
    09-23-13 08:07 PM
    The lack of any mention of the app being pulled from iTunes is pretty fishy.
    h20work likes this.
    09-23-13 08:26 PM
    Why would it be so difficult to ban the "glitchy leaked" version from accessing the servers anyway? You have the server query the version number, if it's the leaked version you deny access. Three lines of code. I don't get it.
    Dude_9 likes this.
    09-23-13 08:31 PM
    Yeah on the podcast it was basically stated that they know the real reason behind the rollout being stopped, and that it wasn't a flawed leaked version. It is clear that since they stopped iOS too that both apps had issues. BlackBerry screwed up and is simply blaming anyone but themselves. But look on the bright side, it helped them accomplish their mission to tank the stock to be taken private, and Thorsten gets $55 Million for all the f' ups that happened under his watch.

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 08:33 PM