When BlackBerry Reigned (the Queen Got One!), and How It Fell

Pool photo by John Stillwell/Getty Images
    Queen Elizabeth visited Blackberry in 2010, and received one of her own.
    By IAN AUSTEN and JENNIFER DANIEL
    Published: September 28, 2013
    FACEBOOK
    TWITTER
    GOOGLE+
    SAVE
    PRINT
    REPRINTS
    Coming from a tiny Canadian company, it was an almost absurdly audacious proposition. In 1998, when many corporations were leery of e-mail, Research In Motion began selling the idea of sending it wirelessly through a device that ran on a single AA battery. But thanks to a tiny, yet effective, keyboard that brought the world thumb-typing and a network that ensured security, BlackBerrys became standard equipment on Wall Street and in Washington.
    Related

BlackBerrys Future in Doubt, Keyboard Lovers Bemoan Their Own (September 28, 2013)
    Bits
    More Tech Coverage
    News from the technology industry, including start-ups, the Internet, enterprise and gadgets.
    On Twitter: @nytimesbits.
    While BlackBerry, as the company is now known, created and dominated what became the smartphone market, competitors, notably Palm, failed. But the companys co-chief executives missed the real threat: they initially dismissed Apples iPhone in as little more than a toy.

After that, all their effords were too late. On Friday, BlackBerry reported a $965 million loss, and BlackBerrys future now appears to rest with a bargain-basement, highly conditional offer from its largest shareholder, Fairfax Financial. Whatever happens to the company, many expect that BlackBerry smartphones are now destined to become relics.

Below, a short history.

Corporate America panics as NTP, a patent holding company, threatens to shut down BlackBerry service in the United States after talks over a proposed $450 million settlement break down. RIM eventually agrees to end the case for $612.5 million.

The first product intended for consumers rather than corporate or government users, the BlackBerry Pearl replaces BlackBerrys side mounted trackwheel with a small, white trackball. It also has a MP-3 music player.

Websters New World College Dictionary names crackberry the new word of the year. And Britney Spears dumps her husband, Kevin Federline, via BlackBerry text.

RIM takes a $250 million charge for undervaluing of stock options granted to executives. The co-chief executives give back $5 million. The iPhone makes its debut in July.

President Obama takes office and, after negotiating with the Secret Service, keeps his BlackBerry. The BlackBerry Storm, the companys first attempt at a touch screen, is released. It is a failure.

BlackBerry starts its App World store, which is immediately faulted for a lack of high-quality apps.

Queen Elizabeth visits BlackBerry and gets a phone. The BlackBerry Torch is released and includes a touch screen and a slide-out keyboard.

Unable to monitor communications on BlackBerrys secure system, the United Arab Emirates threatens to shut down BlackBerry data services. RIM buys QNX Software Systems in an effort to create a BlackBerry operating system that can compete effectively against Apples iOS and Googles Android.

RIMs tablet computer is introduced. Among its more surprising shortcomings is its lack of e-mail software. The tablets are eventually sold at liquidation prices. RIM cuts 2,000 jobs.

A BlackBerry network failure shuts down service to about 70 million users for as many as three days.

After Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis, the companys co-chairman and co-chief executives, resign, the new chief executive, Thorsten Heins, announces that the new line of BlackBerrys will be more than a year late. The companys share price collapses. 5,000 more job cuts are announced.

A network failure blacks out service in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

The meltdown: new phones are late to market and fail to sell; the company announces drastic layoffs and a loss of $965 million; an investor offers, sort of, to buy the company for a fraction of its peak value.

Alicia Keys is named BlackBerry creative director. She later posts on Twitter from an iPhone.
    Reds InHell likes this.
    09-28-13 07:22 PM
    Interesting that the Sunday papers are filled with these pre-postmortems. Probably worthwhile posting the graphic:

NYT: When Blackberry reigned, and how it fell...-0929_biz_blackberry970.jpg
    Reds InHell likes this.
    09-28-13 07:33 PM
    Interesting article. Thanks kev

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-28-13 07:47 PM
    47% to 2% marketshare in 9 years?

2009-2011...look at that drop. I love BlackBerry, but wow..what a disaster laid out so plainly.
    09-28-13 10:40 PM
    47% to 2% marketshare in 9 years?

2009-2011...look at that drop. I love BlackBerry, but wow..what a disaster laid out so plainly.
    Right, I still can't comprehend how they ****ed that up so badly it's mind blowing. Canadians can't be that clueless

Sent from my HTC One
    milo53 likes this.
    09-28-13 10:46 PM
    Alicia Keys is named BlackBerry creative director. She later posts on Twitter from an iPhone.
    What a total insult.

STL100-1/10.1.0.4181/Smart
    milo53 and Mack Gans like this.
    09-28-13 10:50 PM
    Right, I still can't comprehend how they ****ed that up so badly it's mind blowing. Canadians can't be that clueless

Sent from my HTC One
    To be fair, I don't think its a "Canadian" issue. Most of the Canadians I've ever met have been super nice and lovely people. And the decision makers lately have been imports from Europe. They also give us a fair run for our money in the Commonwealth games, even though we kick their butts most of the time.
    DS1331 and FSeverino like this.
    09-28-13 10:58 PM
    Wow. I guess the media are not going to have much to say from now on so they all have to put in their rise and fall drama pieces. Maybe to make sure everyone thinks they went bankrupt. Lol.
    09-28-13 11:15 PM
    Wow. I guess the media are not going to have much to say from now on so they all have to put in their rise and fall drama pieces. Maybe to make sure everyone thinks they went bankrupt. Lol.
    It's too big a news story to ignore, and Blackberry have gone to ground as usual. Prem Watsa has been doing a few fluff interviews around the place though, so I'm sure it'll all work out nicely once the official sale announcement is made.
    09-28-13 11:34 PM
    But if you believe that the media is out to get the company, what makes you believe that it will stop because the company goes private? Sure, there won't be any more earnings calls or releases, but it's not as though that's all the media has been covering.
    FSeverino likes this.
    09-29-13 12:31 AM
    Omg this is sooooo interesting!! Thank you

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 01:20 AM
    But if you believe that the media is out to get the company, what makes you believe that it will stop because the company goes private? Sure, there won't be any more earnings calls or releases, but it's not as though that's all the media has been covering.
    These negative stories aren't going to go away when BlackBerry goes private.

While I would like to hop on the "the media is out to get BlackBerry" bandwagon, I gotta say, BlackBerry has given them plenty of ammo, and has never actively fought back against negative and even sometimes untrue attacks.

Rarely has BlackBerry ever tried to get ahead of a story or an unflattering incident. Instead, they pretty much twiddle their thumbs and wait for the negative press to subside.

There have been plenty of times where something bad has happened, and BlackBerry could have changed the narrative by doing something positive to spin things even slightly for the better...and they didn't.

Posted via CB10
    DS1331 likes this.
    09-29-13 04:49 AM

Sent from my HTC One
    Other companies that aren't/weren't Canadian have also fallen precipitously in a fairly short period of time, especially in the highly volatile tech sector. Just look at the video game industry, and more specifically Atari, Mattel (Intellivision), Coleco, Sega, and currently Nintendo (both from Wii until now and in handhelds) and to a lesser degree Sony.
    DS1331 likes this.
    09-29-13 05:25 AM
    What were the 'other smartphones' taking nearly 40% of the market in 2006? Funny, the way the chart is made, at first glance you would think that iOS/Apple has 'risen' to the top and now has 97% of the U.S. market.

Interesting that the Sunday papers are filled with these pre-postmortems. Probably worthwhile posting the graphic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0929_biz_blackberry970.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	206103
    09-29-13 12:55 PM
    a good companion to the graphic would be "top 10 quotes by senior blackberry executives" with dates attached to the timeline
    09-29-13 01:07 PM
    Alicia Keys is named BlackBerry “creative director.” She later posts on Twitter from an iPhone.
    and look at FaceBook today, BlackBerry post about some designer using a Q5 to `levelup` (whatever that is) then look at that designer on twitter ( @thebeautycrush if your wondering) and what is she tweeting with?

iPhone.
    09-29-13 01:07 PM
    Britney, you fckin b*tch!!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 05:19 PM