http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/te...r.html?hp&_r=0

Interesting article. I know the feeling. I tried to adapt to the touchscreen keyboard with the Z10 and hated it. That experience pushed me to the Q10.

Now, given the apparent imminent death of BBRY hardware and the continued failure of BB10 to be truly spectacular, I'm thinking that I better adapt and "get used to" a touchscreen keypad.
    09-28-13 08:21 AM
    If Fairfax does indeed buy BlackBerry and decide to sell it off for parts, I can't imagine that no other mobile manufacturer would buy the rights/technology to BlackBerry's physical keyboard and incorporate it into their device. I mean, if there is one thing that has never been doubted or bashed about BlackBerry, it is the superiority of their physical keyboard. After the BBM fiasco, it may be the only aspect of the BlackBerry brand that any company would voluntarily associate themselves with.

So... as long as there are fingers, there will be keyboards.
    09-28-13 08:28 AM
    So... as long as there are fingers, there will be keyboards.
    It seems as though over 96%+ of fingers are opting for keypads. If BBRY could generate enough profitable business from physical QWERTY keyboards, they wouldn't be in the predicament they are in today.
    09-28-13 08:38 AM
    It seems as though over 96%+ of fingers are opting for keypads. If BBRY could generate enough profitable business from physical QWERTY keyboards, they wouldn't be in the predicament they are in today.
    Exactly. Physical keyboards are not unlike manual transmissions here in the U.S. The advantages are clear, and people fond of them often swear by them, but when 90+% of cars ship with a form of automatic transmission, the market direction is clear.
    09-28-13 08:44 AM
    Exactly. Physical keyboards are not unlike manual transmissions here in the U.S. The advantages are clear, and people fond of them often swear by them, but when 90+% of cars ship with a form of automatic transmission, the market direction is clear.
    As someone with a preference for standard (manual) transmission equipped vehicles it is my considered opinion all would-be drivers should be required to learn to drive a vehicle with a standard transmission in order to obtain a driver license.
    09-28-13 09:32 AM
    As someone with a preference for standard (manual) transmission equipped vehicles it is my considered opinion all would-be drivers should be required to learn to drive a vehicle with a standard transmission in order to obtain a driver license.
    Completely agree... I got my first license in Barbados while my mom worked for the UN there. All testing was done on Suzuki minivans with manual transmission, no power anything, and hand signaling was a requirement. At least you didn't have any hands left for anything other than driving! Lol

Nah, but my point was that, there will always be a market for a good keyboard. It might not make sense to run an entire company based on just making keyboard-equiped devices, but... how much 'extra' would it cost Samsung to build a Galaxy "Q" line? The merits of the BlackBerry keyboard are still well recognized and self evident, so it would pretty much be a self-marketing 'feature'.

Samsung Galaxy "Q#", all of Android, with an iconic BlackBerry-powered keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:50 AM
    The problem is that the user interface has to be configured to support it. Even if a manufacturer adds a physical keyboard, app developers won't adjust their UI's unless there are a lot of them out there.
    09-28-13 10:13 AM
    If my avatar didn't give it away, I swear by the stick. But the difference is (and leaving slider phones aside), that one gives up valuable screen real estate with a QWERTY phone. What one gives up with a stick is being able to keep a phone pressed to one's ear while obliviously driving 10 mph below the speed limit in the left lane.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    09-28-13 10:20 AM
    I was a touch screen skeptic as well until I was lucky enough to give the Z10 a try for a good month.

It almost makes me wonder what the launch of BB10 would have been like if both Q10 and Z10 were available. I know I might have gone directly to the Q instead of trying the new virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    sjmartin007 likes this.
    09-28-13 10:37 AM