10-04-13 08:38 PM
113 1234 ...
tools
    And BES10 is really designed to manage BlackBerry 10 devices, if you are going to be a BB10 only shop it will be the best chocie by far.

But BOYD, and TABLETS have made that almost an impossibility.

Legacy BBOS devices require a separate server that BES10 can oversee..
    Iphone and Android require 3rd party plug-in to allow management - and by all accounts do not provide very many options or capabilities. Not sure what happened to providing BB Balance like containers on these devices.... ?

BES10 is expensive - if you need that level of security, you pay for it. If you don't, you'll probably go with other MDM systems that fit your needs and budget better.
    Ah...so if that is true...they are...hooped. Supporting bb10 is, obviously, extremely low or nonexistant priority for these companies.....they need the ios/android support to be competitive.
    10-02-13 10:06 AM
    I did some research for my Little company. It would cost us $15,000.00 to upgrade from BESEX to BES10. Just too expensive for us, would love to have it, but not at that cost.
    Hi,

BESEX
    - free server license
    - BIS/BES subscription for each device

BES10
    - free server license
    - No BIS/BES fee
    - data package needed
    - $19/year per device.

If you are seriously interested in upgrading, give me a PM.
    I might be able to help your company at a very different price, but I need all details first.
    lynxs_claw and laketrout73 like this.
    10-02-13 10:08 AM
    I did some research for my Little company. It would cost us $15,000.00 to upgrade from BESEX to BES10. Just too expensive for us, would love to have it, but not at that cost.
    I would like to know where you got those numbers.
    10-02-13 10:13 AM
    Ah...so if that is true...they are...hooped. Supporting bb10 is, obviously, extremely low or nonexistant priority for these companies.....they need the ios/android support to be competitive.
    Problem is that it isn't true. BES10 manages BB10 devices, Playbooks, iOS and Android devices. BES10 also has the ability to hook into BES5 and BESEX. They use the same APIs as all the other MDM providers for iOS and Android and have the ability to do secure containers. It really is the only full MDM solution out there.
    10-02-13 10:16 AM
    Supposedly? It is or it isn't. And how well does it work? How many bugs are showing up? The track record says it's buggy and is missing things. But that's my opinion.
    BES 10 is definitively not going to support BB OS devices.
    BES5 will stay a stand alone product, just like BDS and UDS are at the moment. BMS (the BlackBerry Management Service) connects to either of the three to provide a consolidated management view.
    Some roumors say, that UDS and BDS will be much more light weight and BMS will take over some of the logic. Hopefully we can run BES10 with less than 6GB RAM!

BES5 is as far as I am informed supported until end of 2015.

It can however be installed on the same OS as BES10, but consider BES5 as a products to be EOL soon, so just leave any server running until you can remove it.

BlackBerry will save lots of ressources by not having to maintaing their own sync engine (BES5 - Domino/Groupwise/Exchange) so as long as EAS is working fine - go for it!
    Last edited by jpvj; 10-02-13 at 01:58 PM.
    10-02-13 10:17 AM
    Sponsored by Samsung. They forgot to mention it

Posted via CB10
    Jahcure likes this.
    10-02-13 10:18 AM
    Problem is that it isn't true. BES10 manages BB10 devices, Playbooks, iOS and Android devices. BES10 also has the ability to hook into BES5 and BESEX. They use the same APIs as all the other MDM providers for iOS and Android and have the ability to do secure containers. It really is the only full MDM solution out there.
    Then it sounds like they are basically at parity then with the other solution providers. That's good, but still....tough, a dogfight.
    10-02-13 10:31 AM
    Gotta love how everyone is so quick to jump and call everything BlackBerry a failure. Were these same people calling Android a failure because its adoption took time? Do these tech reporters really think that government and corporations jump on new software and hardware on release? I mean really???
    10-02-13 10:31 AM
    What now? Now we wait for the privatization to go through and refocus. All the media just want to catch reader's eyeballs by posting negative news again and again. I guess you can't really blame them as it's their job.
    Yeah, but BB seems like its their job to feed them bad news. My random association for BB; Playbook, Superbowl Ad, Alicia Keys, BB 10 definitely coming to the PB, Apps don't matter, Netflix, Instagram, TH: We're selling BB10 devices at a rate far beyond our expectations (chuckle) BBM multi-platform 'launch' Earning warning number 3, layoff employees, cancel conference call, sell real estate, Z30 "launch".... it could go on but BB has made about every possible misstep, my 15 year old or just flipping a coin yes or no could have a better decision most of the time.
    kevinnugent and Mack Gans like this.
    10-02-13 10:37 AM
    What I see here is that the people who is bashing BES10 have not idea about the product, its features,costs, advantages and disadvantages, but Crackberry nowdays is like this everyday.
    10-02-13 10:37 AM
    No one should be surprised that BES is a failure...or will be a failure. Over inflating numbers is what BB does best

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4
    10-02-13 10:42 AM
    you also need to understand that corporations tend to be slow at adopting new technology.
    That could be good or bad. If BlackBerry manages a small resurgence it'll allow time for corporate IT to evaluate and adopt BES10. But on the flip side, if the downward trend continues, it gives them continued reason to stay away.
    10-02-13 10:43 AM
    What I see here is that the people who is bashing BES10 have not idea about the product, its features,costs, advantages and disadvantages, but Crackberry nowdays is like this everyday.
    Why don't you elaborate on the features, costs, and particularly the advantages and disadvantages....I dont' know much about BES in detail, though I have read about it before. I would like to understand their BSS situation and what they face, and what they offer, in comparison to the competition!
    kbz1960 and Geeoff like this.
    10-02-13 10:43 AM
    Hi,

BESEX
    - free server license

BES10
    - free server license
    - No BIS/BES fee
    - data package needed
    - $19/year per device.

I might be able to help your company at a very different price, but I need all details first.
    I would just like to quote your post and add that Good for Enterprise from Good Technology is $1500 per server license and $159 per device. Support costs add $450/year per server and $20/year per device for basic support or $25/year per device for 24/7 advanced support. Not sure why we have all these posts in this thread talking about BES10 being more expensive than other MDM solutions.
    highos, Omnitech, undone and 3 others like this.
    10-02-13 10:51 AM
    I would just like to quote your post and add that Good for Enterprise from Good Technology is $1500 per server license and $159 per device. Support costs add $450/year per server and $20/year per device for basic support or $25/year per device for 24/7 advanced support. Not sure why we have all these posts in this thread talking about BES10 being more expensive than other MDM solutions.
    If that's the case, then I'm not sure either. Because the topic of the thread is that even after testing BES 10, very few corporations (or at least many fewer than BBRY had hoped) decided to purchase it.

So if it's not cost, it's not ease of set up, it's not lack of compatibility with other platforms, then just what is it? What do the IT directors of major corporations know that all those touting BES 10 here don't?

How about this: they no longer believe that BBRY has a future.

Whether that's true or not is beside the point. It's been happening over the past year, and is directly related to the continual eff-ups coming from Waterloo.
    10-02-13 11:09 AM
    enterprises are not consumers..their decision will be based on months of research if not years. myself have been through multiple rigorous vendor evaluations (though not related to MDM but enterprise software in general) and sometime it took 6 months to make a final decision on some of them.
    10-02-13 11:14 AM
    Someone stated something in an early post... so I did a quick search for comparisons of different MDM Platforms....

Did NOT know that there were so many, one site list 48 different MDM providers. I look for comparison charts and most do not even show BES or BES10 as an option... granted BES10 is fairly new so it isn't going to show up on older comparisons, but the fact is BlackBerry doesn't appear to be a major vendor.

One site the does have BES10 is COMPUTERWORLD, don't know who they are, don't know who owns them... but they have a pretty in depth site with a lot of information of MDM.

They have a comparison chart that list eleven major MDM solutions, including BES10. There are over 70 different categories of comparison.

MDM tools: Features and functions compared

Based on "these" categories, BES10 doesn't stack up very well against the competition...

They also have a four page overview of how Mobile Device Management has grown and developed;

Mobile management morphs

Very interesting read, one key point about BlackBerry was:
    Like many organizations, Kadlec still has BlackBerry users -- about 500 of them -- so his staff is evaluating BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10. The new release, launched in January, can now manage Android and iOS as well as BlackBerry devices. "Had RIM been able to support Android and iOS before, we wouldn't have looked at Good and we would have had one solution to manage," Roach says. But with the BlackBerry population shrinking, the decision is no longer a slam-dunk. "We'll have to see whether that meets all of our needs or not," he says.
    Now I'm sure an IT professional looking to upgrade their MDM System isn't going to take the word of one websites "comparison". But at some point if they are doing their job they are going to have to list their priorities and then select a few different MDM solutions and see which one is the best fit.

There are just a lot of options out there, I just don't think that for BlackBerry this is a "slam dunk" anymore....
    10-02-13 11:31 AM
    For you folks who have quoted prices for installing BES10... Installed it on a laptop VM. It took a few hours and some knowledge. Not a big deal. The costs for licensing and maintenance are in line with any other solution. Geez!
    mkelley65 and FairlightRacing like this.
    10-02-13 11:48 AM
    Someone stated something in an early post... so I did a quick search for comparisons of different MDM Platforms....

Did NOT know that there were so many, one site list 48 different MDM providers. I look for comparison charts and most do not even show BES or BES10 as an option... granted BES10 is fairly new so it isn't going to show up on older comparisons, but the fact is BlackBerry doesn't appear to be a major vendor.

One site the does have BES10 is COMPUTERWORLD, don't know who they are, don't know who owns them... but they have a pretty in depth site with a lot of information of MDM.

They have a comparison chart that list eleven major MDM solutions, including BES10. There are over 70 different categories of comparison.

MDM tools: Features and functions compared

Based on "these" categories, BES10 doesn't stack up very well against the competition...

They also have a four page overview of how Mobile Device Management has grown and developed;

Mobile management morphs

Very interesting read, one key point about BlackBerry was:

Now I'm sure an IT professional looking to upgrade their MDM System isn't going to take the word of one websites "comparison". But at some point if they are doing their job they are going to have to list their priorities and then select a few different MDM solutions and see which one is the best fit.

There are just a lot of options out there, I just don't think that for BlackBerry this is a "slam dunk" anymore....
    I would take the comparison with a grain of sale. For example Disable WiFi. They say no, but the documentation from Blackberry says "Disable wireless connectivity", "Specify whether to allow Mobile Hotspot mode, tethering using Bluetooth technology, and tethering using a USB cable on a BlackBerry device." Just because it doesn't say WiFi, doesn't mean it isn't available. They did bad research.

http://ca.blackberry.com/content/dam..._Datasheet.pdf
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    10-02-13 11:53 AM
    What now? Now we wait for the privatization to go through and refocus. All the media just want to catch reader's eyeballs by posting negative news again and again. I guess you can't really blame them as it's their job.
    That's what the media does takes the truth and twists it. They should get a job making pretzels. Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 11:57 AM
    Once again all the negative comments. People just like to bash others to be happy? I'm not too surprised not many companies are adopting BES10 yet because of all the trauma going on with Blackberry. I can imagine a lot of them are still watching to find out what is going on. That is why the privatization process needs to be done ASAP so customers can know for sure Blackberry is going to be there for long time, not being sold in parts and disappear in couple of years.

And for people who say BES10 is only for Blackberry phones, you have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever tested and used BES10 or you are just saying whatever you heard?

Let's bet a little bit patient and give BB a bit of time to get things done, and then see how things will be going. Stop all these speculations you see on all the websites.
    10-02-13 12:06 PM
    And BES10 is really designed to manage BlackBerry 10 devices, if you are going to be a BB10 only shop it will be the best chocie by far.

But BOYD, and TABLETS have made that almost an impossibility.

Legacy BBOS devices require a separate server that BES10 can oversee..
    Iphone and Android require 3rd party plug-in to allow management - and by all accounts do not provide very many options or capabilities. Not sure what happened to providing BB Balance like containers on these devices.... ?

BES10 is expensive - if you need that level of security, you pay for it. If you don't, you'll probably go with other MDM systems that fit your needs and budget better.
    Wrong. BES 10 is FREE. Only CALS cost. Pricing ranges from Free upgrades from BES 5 CALS to $19.95 to $ 99.99 for a single seat. Volume pricing is discounted.

By the way, BES 10.1 includes support for IOS and Android. Phone or tablet. No add on or additional charge. Again just CALS.
    10-02-13 12:27 PM
    Hi,

BESEX
    - free server license

BES10
    - free server license
    - No BIS/BES fee
    - data package needed
    - $19/year per device.

BESX 5 comes with 75 FREE CALS and 150 policies.
    BES 5 does not and supports unlimited CALS and policies.
    10-02-13 12:30 PM
    At my company...we have both Good Technologies product and BES5 and BES10. I have about as many BB10 users as still have BBos7 users (not many). But I have 20x the number of IOS and Android users on Good. BB was late to the market for BB10...BB was late to the market for multi-OS support for BES...BB was late to the market for BBM. BB will not survive if it continues this theme.

fyi...I have 2 Z10s and am the only advocate here in my company. I setup the BES10 server on my spare time and really like the product. But I will say again...it was late to the party and the will probably just be feasting on the left overs. Sad to say.
    techvisor and theflew like this.
    10-02-13 02:14 PM
    I heard that BES10 is likely going to be the solution at one federal agency, but that it will be to support BYOD. Here is what is going to happen based on other meetings: Since BB10 still has **** poor app support from vendors like Cisco, Avaya, etc., people will have to use Android or iOS devices with BES10 because they will have app support from these companies for the apps needed. Yeah BlackBerry 10 devices will work, but without the apps needed they will not be used over the competition. So all BlackBerry is doing with BES10 and Secure Containers will be driving Android and iOS usage in the government, not BB10 devices!
    Last edited by lnichols; 10-02-13 at 02:54 PM.
    10-02-13 02:28 PM
113 1234 ...