Came across this article from Oct 11 stating Google is out of the bidding process for BlackBerry as the US Department of Justice would likely block the deal considering their 2012 acquisition of Motorola Mobility and its patents.

BlackBerry founders consider buying back company | New York Post

Also of note is they report Microsoft is in the running.
    10-14-13 09:32 PM
    Thanks for posting Birdman
    10-14-13 09:34 PM
    Thanks for posting Birdman
    Np. Buck will be disappointed.
    10-14-13 09:38 PM
    Odd article:
    - So Microsoft is in even though it took over Nokia, but Google is out cuz it took over Moto?
    - The original Reuters posting suggested that Mike and Doug controlled 8% (not 10%)
    - The Fairfax bid was at 4.7B (not 4.9)
    10-15-13 09:47 PM
    The post really? Worst NY paper ever... don't believe a word

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    barnfoot likes this.
    10-15-13 10:09 PM
    Hmm, how is Google trying to buy not okay, but Microsoft = okay?

That doesn't even make sense.
    10-15-13 11:22 PM

most likely it's because of what's going on with Google. Privacy issues. Therefore the government will stop Google and Governments use Blackberry devices.
    Microsoft is more trusted cause tones of people use their services and they have a good reputation in enterprise
    10-15-13 11:47 PM

Google has already bought a ton of wireless patents. I would guess now that Microsoft bought Nokia it would be hard for them not to get scrutiny either. The other thing against Google is that they are dominating the mobile market with Android, so between the two given Windows lack of market traction they would be less likely to be able to use the BlackBerry acquisition to anti-competitive practices, at least for some time. I would prefer that neither got their hands on BlackBerry and keep making their own stuff. I would prefer for an Android OEM with good hardware offering (Sony being at the top of my list) or Amazon with their content and move towards secure cloud services to decide to take them over and put the marketing dollars to promote BB10 effectively. I don't see them going private solving this issues as PE firms usually try to squeeze blood out of a turnip and won't put the money into trying to make the brand competitive. Also another company could come in slap their branding on and get rid of the albatross branding the BlackBerry has become.
    badiyee likes this.
    10-16-13 09:03 AM
    The post really? Worst NY paper ever... don't believe a word
    It was actually a Toronto Star article I spotted first which pointed to the info in the Post. I just find it interesting that the Post claims Microsoft is in the picture.
    10-21-13 11:53 PM
    Google has already bought a ton of wireless patents. I would guess now that Microsoft bought Nokia it would be hard for them not to get scrutiny either.
    MS bought Nokia's devices and services division. It didn't include the patents. MS paid separately to license the patents for 10 years. Ownership of the patents remains with Nokia Corp.
    10-22-13 01:12 AM
    MS bought Nokia's devices and services division. It didn't include the patents. MS paid separately to license the patents for 10 years. Ownership of the patents remains with Nokia Corp.
    umm actually The design patents from the Nokia phones go to MS
    10-22-13 01:21 AM
    umm actually The design patents from the Nokia phones go to MS
    Ok. The utility patents stay with Nokia Corp and I have no idea who the plant patents go to.
    10-22-13 01:23 AM
    It's also worth pointing out that Microsoft has not taken over Nokia at all yet, both shareholder groups need to approve etc. And it should be completed in 2014

Until then Microsoft can shop around and do what they want, exactly the same as BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD