Facebook is buying Oculus Rift for $2bn.

I get amazed by the amount of money they have. Crazy.

Q10 \m/
    milo53 likes this.
    03-25-14 04:58 PM
    They have overvalued stock. Not really money.

They already did a write down for the Whatsapp purchase.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    03-25-14 05:00 PM
    Dunno what to make of this one.

At face value, I really don't think FB really wants to press forward with the direction that Occulus Rift wishes to go (I'm not sure the whole premise would ever actually take off, but hey... might be the old fashioned thinking in me). More likely, there's probably a patent or two that FB wants to get their hands on. OR is cool and all, I've had the pleasure of trying it out, but I seriously doubt it'll ever go mainstream.
    03-25-14 05:18 PM
    Dunno what to make of this one.

At face value, I really don't think FB really wants to press forward with the direction that Occulus Rift wishes to go (I'm not sure the whole premise would ever actually take off, but hey... might be the old fashioned thinking in me). More likely, there's probably a patent or two that FB wants to get their hands on. OR is cool and all, I've had the pleasure of trying it out, but I seriously doubt it'll ever go mainstream.
    Sony is making their own version of it to hook up to the PS4 to work with their dumb Play Station Move lol (codename: morpheus) and to me it looks exactly the same so I'm with you in it never taking off as well.

Occulus Rift needed to connect with a big gaming company like steam (for their new system), amazon (for their new system), microsoft or Sony.

Or even Google for patents for the Google glass.

Facebook has nothing to bring to the table.

I could be wrong though :P

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 05:50 PM
    There goes any plans to buy one.

Shame, EVE: Valkyrie looked promising...
    03-25-14 05:52 PM
    Just imagine enjoying a court side seat at the game or talk to your friends in a different country face to face just by putting on goggles in u'r home

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 06:05 PM
    There goes any plans to buy one.

Shame, EVE: Valkyrie looked promising...
    Sony will take over.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-25-14 06:07 PM
    Sony is making their own version of it to hook up to the PS4 to work with their dumb Play Station Move lol (codename: morpheus) and to me it looks exactly the same so I'm with you in it never taking off as well.

Occulus Rift needed to connect with a big gaming company like steam (for their new system), amazon (for their new system), microsoft or Sony.

Posted via CB10
    Playstation move works more accurately than the old wii... i have them at home. it's better than people think but almost no games for it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-25-14 06:08 PM
    Playstation move works more accurately than the old wii... i have them at home. it's better than people think but almost no games for it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I'm sure it's good but they should have implemented something in the Eye like the kinect has. There isn't a lot of game for the kinect either but it's moving down the exercise route and doing an amazing job of it. Watch a video on youtube of the kinect and exercise and it blows your mind.

There's no new future for games with the wii/move anymore. At least the way I look at it. I can't think of a single thing except for a FPS. No one wants to be waving it like harry potter waves a wand. Innovate the damn Eye and drop the move!!

But I could just be narrow minded :P

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 08:32 PM
    Facebook is on a big shopping spree
    Not sure what they would want with Oculus tho

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 08:58 PM
    I'm sure it's good but they should have implemented something in the Eye like the kinect has. There isn't a lot of game for the kinect either but it's moving down the exercise route and doing an amazing job of it. Watch a video on youtube of the kinect and exercise and it blows your mind.

There's no new future for games with the wii/move anymore. At least the way I look at it. I can't think of a single thing except for a FPS. No one wants to be waving it like harry potter waves a wand. Innovate the damn Eye and drop the move!!

But I could just be narrow minded :P

Posted via CB10
    There's a game that you play with a sword and shield. Playstation move and morpheus would be awesome to enhance that experience.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-25-14 09:39 PM
    Just imagine enjoying a court side seat at the game or talk to your friends in a different country face to face just by putting on goggles in u'r home
    "face to face"? You mean head unit to head unit...
    irweezyy likes this.
    03-25-14 09:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sony was to support occulus but hey I guess that didn't pan out... The support was there for it in the PS4 dev kits. I guess occulus must've made some stupid demands.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Agreed the accuracy from the Move with the cameras is the best I've ever seen yet. I remember a demo of it when it was releasing where I could actually write my name in a virtual space without zigzagging like crazy. But yeah no games to support it properly and also games on the PS4 are more hardcore than Wii so yeah.

I heard they used the Occulus/Morpheus with that Driveclub game and it actually made beta testers sick and puke... Realism must be edging on reality then :|

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:44 PM
    And I thought people couldn't get their heads any further into their Smartphones at the dinner table already! :-D

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    03-27-14 04:03 PM
    While virtual reality is almost certainly a big part of the future, I don't know why this particular company would be all that far ahead of established manufacturing companies.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 04:18 PM
    Facebook is on a big shopping spree
    Not sure what they would want with Oculus tho

Posted via CB10
    They just want to spend the money before the pop happens.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    eldricho likes this.
    03-27-14 04:28 PM
    While virtual reality is almost certainly a big part of the future, I don't know why this particular company would be all that far ahead of established manufacturing companies.

Posted via CB10
    especially like microsoft, samsung and sony
    03-27-14 11:09 PM