On August 1st, 2014 John Chen told employees the company has reached the end of cuts that began three years ago — part of an attempt to turn its business around.

“We have completed the restructuring notification process, and the work force reduction that began three years ago is now behind us,” he wrote in the memo, which was obtained by The Canadian Press. Stock price on August 1st was $9.30

BlackBerry CEO Chen says three years of layoffs have come to an end | The Chronicle Herald

However, now it seems another round of layoffs...
    BlackBerry Cuts More Jobs as Chen?s Turnaround Progresses - Bloomberg Business

Can we really believe anything coming out of Waterloo... Apparently BlackBerry is still bleeding as the stock hovers around its 52 low at $7.68 on close of July 21st, 2015.
    missing_K-W and CranksterBB10 like this.
    07-21-15 12:25 PM
    This guy(Chen) needs to start delivering. Let's see some premier software offerings Chen.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 12:27 PM
    I'm no longer hoping for spectacular things to happen...
    This can't be good....

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 12:37 PM
    Chen just mentioned that a new high end BlackBerry 10 all touch phone is coming for the hardcore fans asking for one! Woooo.

Said no Chen ever...

Posted via CB10
    ultra07 likes this.
    07-21-15 12:40 PM
    Actually Chen told us this would be a year of growth and that they would be hiring.... of course that was when it was assumed that enterprise needed the Classic and the LEAP and the BES licensing would see a big upswing.

BlackBerry is still very much a company in transition to a smaller company, and Chen is going to do what it takes to "reassure" investors - by telling them something they want to hear. And by doing the tough things that THOR was incapable of... shutting down divisions and laying off people.

Basically the hardware division is now gone.... as their manufacturing partners are taking on just about everything. I think all that is left would be those that handle distribution and support and maybe a few doing OS maintenance (as I bet most of that team is now part of software working on the Experience).
    07-21-15 12:43 PM
    Back then Chen thought hardware would do better than it is. Remember he had a 10M device sale goal but thats gone to the wayside, 5M is a more realistic goal going forward. Therefore to keep the books balanced he had to further outsource the hardware division and here we are.
    07-21-15 12:57 PM
    Actually Chen told us this would be a year of growth and that they would be hiring.... of course that was when it was assumed that enterprise needed the Classic and the LEAP and the BES licensing would see a big upswing.

BlackBerry is still very much a company in transition to a smaller company, and Chen is going to do what it takes to "reassure" investors - by telling them something they want to hear. And by doing the tough things that THOR was incapable of... shutting down divisions and laying off people.

Basically the hardware division is now gone.... as their manufacturing partners are taking on just about everything. I think all that is left would be those that handle distribution and support and maybe a few doing OS maintenance (as I bet most of that team is now part of software working on the Experience).
    Hiring people for software is a good idea, BlackBerry 10 especially needs more talent to give it the upper hand. I'm sure they aren't only hiring people for android,
    07-21-15 01:00 PM
    Hiring people for software is a good idea, BlackBerry 10 especially needs more talent to give it the upper hand. I'm sure they aren't only hiring people for android,
    At this point, any investment into BB10 is a total waste of resources. He should just EOL it and save the 10s of millions per year in code and project maintenance. BES12 and its succesor should be the area where hiring should be focused on.
    Shlooky and sentimentGX4 like this.
    07-21-15 04:45 PM
    Chen just mentioned that a new high end BlackBerry 10 all touch phone is coming for the hardcore fans asking for one! Woooo.

Said no Chen ever...

Posted via CB10
    So where did you see this?

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    07-21-15 06:20 PM
    Chen's plan is a disaster. The phones released under his tenure are selling horribly because they are horrible specs and priced horribly. He is going to turn a company who has been historically horrible with software into a software company?! He is inflating software revenue with licensing deals and the investors know it and he is avoiding their questions about the shell game. I think he is in way over his head and whatever he turns BlackBerry into will not be a company that many here will be able to support. But the most comical thing is people here that bad mouthed Android for so long are now clamoring for and a Android device that has a few BlackBerry apps on it.

Posted via Z30
    techvisor likes this.
    07-21-15 09:21 PM
    Chen's plan is a disaster. The phones released under his tenure are selling horribly because they are horrible specs and priced horribly. He is going to turn a company who has been historically horrible with software into a software company?! He is inflating software revenue with licensing deals and the investors know it and he is avoiding their questions about the shell game. I think he is in way over his head and whatever he turns BlackBerry into will not be a company that many here will be able to support. But the most comical thing is people here that bad mouthed Android for so long are now clamoring for and a Android device that has a few BlackBerry apps on it.

Posted via Z30
    Not only that, but horrible quality control. Poorly built. Used phones being sold as new. Etc.
    07-22-15 07:58 AM

Posted via Z30
    You just assume you know what Chen's plan is.....

I think Chen was smart enough to see that hardware was doomed, without an ecosystem there was nothing that he could do. So he let hardware "coast" along while he has tried to build and BUY a software and services business.

I imagine that in two years BlackBerry will look nothing like the company it once was... and I doubt in two years many of us will even care.
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    07-22-15 08:39 AM
    Poor phone sales, no profit, something has to give.

Besides, you don't need 20,000 people to make a smart phone.

I still think too many people work there for what they make.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    07-22-15 08:43 AM
    It's called basic business concepts 101 folks, when your market share has all but disappeared and you are now relying on software and enterprise to keep you afloat, it's time to start downsizing before the shareholders force you to do it anyways.
    ultra07 likes this.
    07-22-15 09:49 AM
    Let's wait for the figures before we make a big deal of it.
    Of course I'm concerned by those who lost their jobs :sad:
    A few others got (or will get) a new position too.

It's not the same scale than CORE program, happily, where numbers were in multiples of thousands. So, that's adjustment, to fit the reorg and match new resources from acquisitions...

Let's wait for the real figures, in and out...

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 01:09 PM
    On August 1st, 2014 John Chen told employees the company has reached the end of cuts that began three years ago — part of an attempt to turn its business around.

“We have completed the restructuring notification process, and the work force reduction that began three years ago is now behind us,” he wrote in the memo, which was obtained by The Canadian Press. Stock price on August 1st was $9.30

BlackBerry CEO Chen says three years of layoffs have come to an end | The Chronicle Herald

However, now it seems another round of layoffs...
    BlackBerry Cuts More Jobs as Chen?s Turnaround Progresses - Bloomberg Business

Can we really believe anything coming out of Waterloo... Apparently BlackBerry is still bleeding as the stock hovers around its 52 low at $7.68 on close of July 21st, 2015.
    He was being truthful. That series of scheduled layoffs was completed. It would have been utterly nave to expect no more layoffs ever from a company in some distress. They will do what it takes.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-22-15 01:25 PM
    He was being truthful. That series of scheduled layoffs was completed. It would have been utterly nave to expect no more layoffs ever from a company in some distress. They will do what it takes.
    Or for that matter, companies not in distress. I've been impacted in layoffs when companies simply changed business strategies ... products got dropped, products got moved to another location, "thank you very much, here's a package". It's happened to many of my friends in tech, including those that have worked for highly successful companies.

It's business.

Not suggesting this is simply a "change in direction", but anyone who thinks that layoffs don't happen even when companies are successful (especially in tech) is naive. Every company I've ever worked for has had layoffs, even in good times.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and TGR1 like this.
    07-22-15 02:01 PM
    Microsoft is laying off, too...
    And getting out of advertising*... :-(

(I'd rather see them do it than hand it [and the data!] over to third parties like AppNexus or... wait for it... AOL ...)

  "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    07-22-15 06:51 PM
    I think Chen was smart enough to see that hardware was doomed, without an ecosystem there was nothing that he could do. So he let hardware "coast" along while he has tried to build and BUY a software and services business.

I imagine that in two years BlackBerry will look nothing like the company it once was... and I doubt in two years many of us will even care.
    You may very well be right. If you are, the reason not many will care is because there will be nothing to care about. I don't own an enterprise. I don't have a few thousand employees. To me, my BlackBerry is a phone, a quick way to connect to the internet, and a way to check my email, all, while on the move. When BlackBerry phones cease to exist, I will have no reason to ever think about the company. In my situation, BES never crosses my mind, because it doesn't affect me. In case anybody is wondering, that is the case with 99.9% of consumers.
    jas1978 likes this.
    07-23-15 12:17 PM
    His - kinda- answer thanks/props to Corbu in antoher thread :

5:30 to 6:10
    JC:

“We are reducing jobs, but it is not so much as reducing, we are shifting it. So we are taking a lot of the hardware, you know, handset business jobs… Like, traditionally we made four phones a year… or designed, made, manufactured, whatever. We are not going to do that anymore. We are at least cutting it down to… a less number, maybe two, maybe one, but… So I need those resources on the security and software side so it’s more a shifting of resources and portfolio than just saying we are going to cut jobs…"
    07-23-15 02:49 PM