04-23-14 07:34 AM
106 ... 2345
tools
    Cut out the personal jabs please and stick to the topic of the thread.

Thank you.
    04-22-14 09:43 PM
    I have seen BB10 devices. No Windows powered ones. I'm stating facts as well.

emPowered by ?
    I see Windows Phones every now and then. I have only seen one BB10 device and the woman that carried it was wearing a hijab. This is at a SoCal university.
    04-22-14 09:45 PM
    I think a good key word to describe Windows Phone (and Microsoft as a whole) is "integrated". They really have that going for them.
    that is what Blackberry 10 has over iOS and Android.
    Integration, just simple things like:
    - how you don't actually have to go into the app that's in the HUB just to message someone or see your likes.
    - Universal search (Google Now is the best overall but Universal search not using internet at all just within the phone BB10 Search is better)
    - Sharing information between apps.
    04-22-14 09:54 PM
    Neither WP or BlackBerry can really claim success in recent sales, although Windows phones are selling more than BlackBerry.

Now, my understanding is that WP got their sales up by pushing out low cost phones -sort of like lost leaders. Which was smart. Hence why you see John Chen's first order of business was to get a good low cost phone to market.

Now, as for the topic of this thread, Nokia hardware is ugly, and relies on gimmicks like flashy colors to differentiate their product. If you think tiles are great ask anyone with a Windows 8 pc if they use them or installed something like classic Start 8 to get away from it.

Those in glass houses...

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 10:05 PM
    thats it switch from blackberry to nokia great plan switch to a company that isnt even a company any more. Good marketing. What a doorknob. I actually did have a nokia for about 3 weeks when i got my blackberry serviced through telus. The worst piece of crap i have ever used. I actually would like to say it made a good door stop but as a phone it was garbage and then was when i was running 10.1 Sure the phone was better in some ways but the rest of the phone was so crappy it couldnt make up for it with its camera. I would rather run a unbuntu phone then a lumia. As far switching from blackberry to nokia even if i had an old bold i think the bold would be better. It was a nice thought but maybe you should think of a nother phone to switch from because the blackberry makes a nokia seem like a badly designed toy. The best think i can say about Nokia is.... Well actually i cant say anything good about it so i wont its better left unsaid. IF you are considering switching to nokia from blackberry all i can say is are you sure you have thought this through because believe me it will be the worst mistake you have ever made.
    byex likes this.
    04-22-14 10:05 PM
    Neither WP or BlackBerry can really claim success in recent sales, although Windows phones are selling more than BlackBerry.

Now, my understanding is that WP got their sales up by pushing out low cost phones -sort of like lost leaders. Which was smart. Hence why you see John Chen's first order of business was to get a good low cost phone to market.

Now, as for the topic of this thread, Nokia hardware is ugly, and relies on gimmicks like flashy colors to differentiate their product. If you think tiles are great ask anyone with a Windows 8 pc if they use them or installed something like classic Start 8 to get away from it.

Those in glass houses...

Posted via CB10
    As far as the hardware goes, that's personal opinion. I think it's fantastic. But you actually bring up a pro of Nokia. They do differentiate themselves from the competition and that's 100% a good thing in their case. Their phones look fun.

As far as tiles go, you're kind of comparing apples and oranges...a desktop and a phone. I personally love them on both, but for phones, I've heard a lot of positive. Also, those who I know who have Windows 8 use the Tile UI.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    cckgz4, anon1727506 and dolco like this.
    04-22-14 10:11 PM

Those in glass houses...

Posted via CB10
    I use Windows 8 on my PC and use the Modern UI apps and desktop apps in equal measure, bit of a blanket statement to say that everyone uses Start8 so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Tiles on Windows Phone are easier to use, same goes for the Surface family of tablets as they are touchscreens.
    ajst222 and Jas00555 like this.
    04-22-14 10:17 PM
    I asked once nicely to stop the personal shots. This thread has been cleaned of the bickering. Next stop is the trash can. Please keep the discussion on topic.

Thank you.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-22-14 10:19 PM
    I use Windows 8 on my PC and use the Modern UI apps and desktop apps in equal measure, bit of a blanket statement to say that everyone uses Start8 so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Tiles on Windows Phone are easier to use, same goes for the Surface family of tablets as they are touchscreens.
    I didn't say everyone uses Start8, but a ton sure do.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 10:37 PM
    i think microsoft is afraid cause BB10 is going to be the third more use system soon, i was a nokia fan for a lot of years and devices but WP was so disappointment to me that i start looking something else, my first thought was android, so someone lend me his phone and for me was kind of complicated, so i was going to buy an iphone and then i watch a video on youtube of BB10, i get in love, everything its integrated with the hub, the best keyboard out there, and now im very happy with my blackberry.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    04-22-14 10:52 PM
    i think microsoft is afraid cause BB10 is going to be the third more use system soon, i was a nokia fan for a lot of years and devices but WP was so disappointment to me that i start looking something else, my first thought was android, so someone lend me his phone and for me was kind of complicated, so i was going to buy an iphone and then i watch a video on youtube of BB10, i get in love, everything its integrated with the hub, the best keyboard out there, and now im very happy with my blackberry.
    I don't think that Microsoft is afraid at all of BB10 considering that it is gaining no traction and the company is in very rough shape. While BB10 is a great OS (minus the app situation), it's going nowhere.

JeepBB likes this.
    04-22-14 10:58 PM
    i think microsoft is afraid cause BB10 is going to be the third more use system soon, i was a nokia fan for a lot of years and devices but WP was so disappointment to me that i start looking something else, my first thought was android, so someone lend me his phone and for me was kind of complicated
    Reminds me of language war not so long ago:
    https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hvid...0e&oe=53591254

Consumer always wins!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 10:59 PM
    Nokia+WP going no where here I haven't seen any WP with anybody here, I played with a WP made by Huwei omg that phone sucks!... They focus spending billion of dollars advertising dead *** OS... The most annoying part they are using bbm to advertise their phones why can't they use their own app to advertise their own phone? And yet they are throwing jab at BB? Please Chen don't give them BBM that phone sucks and boring...
    You argue Nokia + Windows Phone sucks and you base this on your experience with Huawei? Ok then. Besides, Windows Phone has received a couple of updates that make it really fun to use. You can check,for the Verge, AnandTech, ArsTechnica and of course WPcentral for their windows phone 8.1 reviews.
    In addition, the Lumia 920 is the second best selling Windows Phone. And to all you who attack sales, Nokia sells more Lumias in a Quarter than Blackberry sells phones(all of them). There are currently about 50m Windows Phone devices out there compared to >10million BB10 devices.
    Finally, the blog post you're being is one of the series of posts targeted at new users switching from popular platforms. That's android,IOS and BBOS. Hence the use of the term "old BlackBerry". You'll wonder why Android users on Android Central are not getting up in a tiff about this.
    Speaking about App selection WP has >250,000 apps. And that's without N4BB at our side XD. Complete with Instagram, Skype, Netflix, Vine, McDonald's (a regional app), Office apps and others which they advertise. I do not see BBM being advertised on any phone here in the UK...

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/7/18/4534266/nokia-lumia-vs-blackberry-sales-q2-2013

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/4/14/5611992/windows-phone-8-1-review
    anon1727506 and ajst222 like this.
    04-23-14 01:09 AM

Those in glass houses...

Posted via CB10

Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers looks a lot different than desktop Windows 8.1. Notice how my tiles are transparent.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    ajst222 likes this.
    04-23-14 01:18 AM
    I hope BlackBerry gets super motivated and keep polishing BB10 and hardware design. Also, BlackBerry should come up with an easy way for people to switch from other platforms to BB10. Don't get mad, get even.

? CB10 ?
    04-23-14 01:53 AM
    i think microsoft is afraid cause BB10 is going to be the third more use system soon
    Doubtful - given the increasing distance between their unit sales, I would think they aren't concerned about BBRY at all and that gap is going to increase now they have a CEO who is clearly mobile first in a way the last one wasn't.

I think people here still haven't adjusted to the new world order, in terms of consumer mobile, I would think there are maybe one or two small markets where people seem BBRY as competition otherwise they are pretty much written off.
    04-23-14 02:18 AM
    Doubtful - given the increasing distance between their unit sales, I would think they aren't concerned about BBRY at all and that gap is going to increase now they have a CEO who is clearly mobile first in a way the last one wasn't.

I think people here still haven't adjusted to the new world order, in terms of consumer mobile, I would think there are maybe one or two small markets where people seem BBRY as competition otherwise they are pretty much written off.
    Right.. I don't think *You would spend marketing money to name a company you don't view as a competitor.. a Nokia phone is a substitute for a BlackBerry phone so they are competeting , on a large scale they're both competing to remain relevant.. BlackBerry sales may be declining on a downward trend but the next few quarters the story may change..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Last edited by tinochiko; 04-23-14 at 03:08 AM.
    04-23-14 02:42 AM
    Corrected.. I hope that one tyro didn't message the meaning of the entire paragraph was lost

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Ah right - but it's not marketing money, they have done switch-over guides for every platform.

Anyway... I see while we discussing this, the bar has just been raised anyway... and life for both WP and BB will get even harder as android OEM react to this - $299 now gets you:

Measuring only 8.9mm thick, the OnePlus One is ergonomic and easy to grip, with a tapered edge of just 4.6mm.”

* 5.5-inch 1080p Full HD display with LTPS and TOL (Touch on Lens) technology protected by Corning’s Gorilla Glass 3
    * 2.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor
    * Adreno 330 GPU, 3GB of LP-DDR3 RAM,
    * 4G LTE support for many bands,
    * 64GB storage
    * no microSD support
    * 13-megapixel 6-lens Sony Exmor camera with f/2.0 aperture
    * dual LED flash and 4K video capture support
    * 5-megapixel front-facing camera with 80-degree capture angle
    * dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, GPS, GLONASS
    * embedded 3100mAh battery

The phone measures 152.9 x 75.9 x 8.9mm and weights 162g.
    OnePlus One specs, features, release date and final price official | BGR
    04-23-14 03:48 AM
    So let me get this straight - nobody here has seen a WP device (sales 50 million plus) but they see BB10 devices everywhere (sales @ 5 million) - WP is a flop but BB10 is a going concern?
    JeepBB, dolco, anon1727506 and 1 others like this.
    04-23-14 04:37 AM
    Please guys, don't bash Windows Phone, since wasn't Microsoft who bashed BB, bash those ridiculous 10 models of Lumia's because all they care is having good cameras.
    Cheers.
    04-23-14 05:43 AM
    Windows phone is gaining market share. BlackBerry is losing market share.

Nokia was never openly courting a buyer yet still found one. Despite the loss of their Devices and Services division, Nokia will live on. BlackBerry on the other hand could not give the company away.

I don't know how any of this is good for BlackBerry. Even lowly Windows phone is entitled to talk **** about BlackBerry.

People here get upset that many believe BlackBerry to be a dead/dying company. Given the current state of affairs, I don't see how this is an invalid assumption.
    Let me correct that for you. Erm. It should read...

Nokia was TROJAN-HORSED by Stephen "Trojan Horse" Elop.

No thanks needed, because the same "Trojan Horse" is now back into Microsoft. Essentially, while BlackBerry may be "old", and "slow", Nokia died. The only thing they have left is whatever "name" recognition that's just ... tethers, and it isn't even Nokia. Nokia services is Nokia. That handset Nokia isn't Nokia. Its just... another entity that Microsoft hides behind because they have no balls in promoting their own handsets under the Microsoft tag, so they had to buy the "Nokia" tag for the next what, 5 years?
    04-23-14 05:45 AM
    I hate when yall talking about WP making sales! What sales? Please stop the hyping window phone flagships failed woefully! And please why they switch to Nokia X running andriod? If window phone is doing quite well out there?
    And here in Nigeria nothing like Window phone! And they even advertising Nokia X with bbm like I said before.
    What sales???!!! Yeah just ignore facts! Sales and market share mean nothing! Windows Phone is the fastest growing mobile platform in the world? Please stop hyping Windows Phone! Gosh guys...

04-23-14 05:50 AM
    What's sad is that MS didn't see BlackBerry as enough of a threat to buy them....

I've always taught that BlackBerry made a good fit for Microsoft.

They are both interested in Enterprise
    A merging of BES and Exchange
    MS embedded systems would benefit from QNX
    Between Nokia, Microsoft and BlackBerry the patents would be well covered.

Posted via CB10
    neo158 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-23-14 05:54 AM
    They need to focus on their own consumers. They've upset a huge crowd by letting a lot of people put the developers preview 8.1 on their devices. A big percent of them are peeved at this preview. Our sister site is full of negative and troublesome threads. Their official release better come soon with some consideration to the consumers they've angered.

Microsoft is making some big risks right now. Will it pay off? Guess we'll see?

Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk
    04-23-14 06:04 AM
    They need to focus on their own consumers. They've upset a huge crowd by letting a lot of people put the developers preview 8.1 on their devices. A big percent of them are peeved at this preview. Our sister site is full of negative and troublesome threads. Their official release better come soon with some consideration to the consumers they've angered.

Microsoft is making some big risks right now. Will it pay off? Guess we'll see?

Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk
    Yeah I know battery drain is the issue with the preview and Microsoft is set to release an update to fix that.

Septembersrain likes this.
    04-23-14 06:06 AM
106 ... 2345