12-23-13 09:12 AM
129 ... 3456
tools
    Seriously don't believe everything you read. If I did I would not own a Z10 and Z30. Wasn't it the globe and mail who said that a good indication of how a company is doing is the direction of their stock. The slide always starts slow. The question is can BB bring out an upgraded Z30, with some real specs, before the new big iPhone lands.
    12-18-13 04:16 AM
    The Question still stands unanswered.

What was the mobile market like in 2008. What was analyzed back then for the future and how close were their predictions?

Analysts are like critics. They just have opinions. And, you base your own reality depending on which side of the fence you're on.
    And, in the end it's good for nothing!

I'm telling you....
    Oprah and The National Enquirer!
    But, you may as well debate this nonsense while we're waiting for a Leak.
    At least, we know the streets are safe with ya' all in here!

(of course, that's just my analysis and as a critic it's my job to cause controversy and cloud the issues whenever and wherever it's needed!

...how'm I doin'?
    12-18-13 04:22 AM

What was the mobile market like in 2008. What was analyzed back then for the future and how close were their predictions?

Analysts are like critics. They just have opinions. And, you base your own reality depending on which side of the fence you're on.

I'm telling you....

(of course, that's just my analysis and as a critic it's my job to cause controversy and cloud the issues whenever and wherever it's needed!

...how'm I doin'?
    Words of true wisdom.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-18-13 04:25 AM
    Yes, well aware of android activations:
    Eric Schmidt: Google now at 1.5 million Android activations per day
    Android market share is winning by a large market share? So what?
    Apple Can Ignore Android Market Share Stats All The Way To The Bank

The OP posted an article about market share...and if you read what I said, you basically posted an article that says something very similar to what I said. Apple makes significantly more money, that is VERY clear. Android sells significantly more devices, ALSO very clear. I find it extremely difficult to believe Apple will be at near 70% market share, especially with how Samsung has been doing with their galaxy devices.
    12-18-13 06:08 AM
    lol these posts from these Blackberry fanboys are unbelievable. Some of you need to get in touch with reality.
    12-18-13 06:15 AM
    The point is Apple are losing ground too! The article is NONSENSE!
    12-18-13 06:44 AM
    To all the BB faithful
    If you have ever wondered about the future of BB in the USA, wonder no further. It is clear from this article that there will be no place for BB and even Android will find it very difficult to make ends meet in the States. Now I don't agree but that's immaterial because I'm not a high powered analyst.

iPhone Market Share Expected to Hit 68% in the United States by 2017 - Mac Rumors

"68% of Americans are expected to own an iPhone when the smartphone market reaches its saturation point in 2017, according to new research done by Asymco analyst Horace Dediu. Citing a parallel between the growth of the smartphone market and the growth of the iPhone over the years, Dediu predicts that both will continue to grow alongside each other as the smartphone market hits a saturation point at 90% in February 2017 with a predicted 180 million U.S. iPhone owners by that time, giving Apple a 68% market share......"

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Bringing the iPhone to Straight Talk (Wal-Mart) and T-Mo coupled with an upswing in our economy are certainly helping sales; so is the introduction of the "budget" $99 iPhone 5C. I don't, however, see the iPhone anything going past 60% in the U.S.

Also, even though total aggregate market share may be over 50% in the U.S., you gotta keep in mind that there are a few key markets that are dominating, namely the major cities: LA, SF, NYC, Chicago, Boston, Seattle, Miami, Washington (DC), and a few others. In reality, the link should clarify that it is going to be 68% of New Yorkers (NYC), or 68% of southern Californians are going to own iPhones, for example.
    12-18-13 06:48 AM
    The OP posted an article about market share...and if you read what I said, you basically posted an article that says something very similar to what I said. Apple makes significantly more money, that is VERY clear. Android sells significantly more devices, ALSO very clear. I find it extremely difficult to believe Apple will be at near 70% market share, especially with how Samsung has been doing with their galaxy devices.
    Two years ago I saw way more Galaxies "out in the wild". I still see them, but I see also see more people on iPhones these days than two years ago.

I participate in another forum that is not solely dedicated to mobile phones, but has a dedicated mobile phone section. Practically all users are American and most discuss the Razr, HTC One, Galaxy Note, the LG G2, Nexus, and the iPhone. Honestly, I think this other site is more indicative of the typical American as this site is not dedicated to any particular fanboi of any type.
    12-18-13 06:59 AM
    I don't think it (technology) can be predicted that far in advance, and I think other opinions matter as much as "high powered anal yst"
    12-18-13 07:08 AM

I'm telling you....

...how'm I doin'?
    In the U.S., in 2008, I believe the Motorola RAZR was still the most popular phone. It seemed like everyone I knew had one...except for me. iPhones were still primarily owned by Mac fanbois even though iTunes became available for Windows in 2008. Blackberries, in particular the Pearl and what later became the Curve series were popular, but I'd say most mobile phone users where still using "feature" phones back then.
    12-18-13 07:12 AM
    I don't think it (technology) can be predicted that far in advance, and I think other opinions matter as much as "high powered anal yst"
    The flaw is that the majority of mobile phone users in the U.S. are on two-year contracts. So many so that I think it would be safe to simply speak of all U.S. customers as a whole and say that as a whole "we" do contracts. Those who are buying the iPhone 5C and 5S now, are, for the most part, going to be on a two-year contract. The cell phone market will dramatically change over the course of their contracts, so, it is impossible to predict what phones they will purchase in 2015, let alone in 2017.
    12-18-13 07:18 AM
    As long as as there is a demand for the Blackberry phone, there will be a market. All these BB hates trying to scare the BB consumer into jumping **** with all this doom and gloom. As long as BB continues to make BB phones, I will continue to buy them.
    DJM626 likes this.
    12-18-13 07:34 AM
    THANK YOU TERRITC......... WELL SAID!

lol these posts from these Blackberry fanboys are unbelievable. Some of you need to get in touch with reality.
    DEFINE (your) REALITY! If you're gonna point fingers , back it up!

My intentions when I post is....... Everything I say here is just my opinion and really doesn't amount to anything. The message being, it's just a handheld mobile device which is nothing more than a convenience!

You're probably right about that reality check. I'm knockin' my head against the wall.

In the U.S., in 2008, I believe the Motorola RAZR was still the most popular phone. It seemed like everyone I knew had one...except for me. iPhones were still primarily owned by Mac fanbois even though iTunes became available for Windows in 2008. Blackberries, in particular the Pearl and what later became the Curve series were popular, but I'd say most mobile phone users where still using "feature" phones back then.
    Excellent investigating.
    Isn't it amazing how far we've come?
    12-18-13 07:45 AM
    The U.S. population is aging fast and the tiny screen on the iphone leaves a lot to be desired for those 40+ folks. If apple does not come up with much bigger screens, they will start loosing market share.

But how long can Apple innovate in the minimal way it has been and retain people's interest?

Apple was new and cool and it and stole away most of BlackBerry 's users while they sat and failed to produce new and exciting things. Apple is now only changing their phones by tiny tweaks every iteration, how long until someone shows up with something new and amazing and steals their user base?

History tends to repeat itself. When everyone starts using the same phone, people will start looking for other alternatives just so they can have something new and different from the rest of the pack. Not saying Apple will go out of business or anything, but I have a hard time believing their popularity will continue to skyrocket while their phones barely change at all.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and BeautyEh like this.
    12-18-13 08:10 AM
    The demographics have changed, and will continue to change.

If I want to be a spoilsport I could literally keep harping about people decrying BlackBerry is dead since the 1st iPhone, but its still kicking.

If we're going to discuss IF BlackBerry will survive by 2017, if we take 2012-Aug 2013, it wasn't very convincing. If this Dec quarter reports comes out and somehow BBRY manages to rake in 250M in pure profit alone that would be ideal (I think one would have to read Chris Umi's writings to ponder more upon this). However, I will dispute the projection of the article that OP posted. If we look at data provided by @asymco (he's an analyst based on data, and I so happen to subscribe to his assessment of things, no matter how bleak), the iPhone will have a lot of users but not to the point of the marketshare, unless you discount the forked Androids.

But staying to the question, will BlackBerry's space be eaten? Maybe.
    12-18-13 08:22 AM
    Well, it's in an article so it must be true.

People will always make the error of projecting the present trend into the future without properly considering how factors can and will change.

We have been trying to predict the weather for thousands of years, and still can't tell you exactly where a hurricane will hit, or whether it will rain next week.

People we be willing to admit to themselves that it's not possible to know what will happen. All we can do is look at possible plays, and possible results of various factors we cannot ever be certain. That article is a nonsense. Full stop.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:45 AM
    Not read all of the comments on all of the pages, but there are some large assumptions being made in the article the OP quotes: nothing changes in the intervening years!

But what if:

1) The ghost of Steve Jobs is still hovering and Tim Cook hasn't had a proper/clear chance to show what his plans for Apple and iPhone are. Depending on what he does, there may be a mass migration away from Apple, or even more to it, if he gets it right.
    2) The iPhone design, while attractive, is stuck in the same mold. What happens if Jonny Ive decides he wants to design something else?
    3) The USA is an important market, I am sure for all phone makers, but it isn't the only market. The BRICs nations are huge growth areas for phones, so even if America saturates, there aer other markets to move to.
    4) So what if the USA hits saturation point? What does it mean? Has the same occurred in the car market?
    12-18-13 09:38 AM
    Extrapolations of current trends can give an Idea of what might happen in the future, but one thing we should know is that its mere predictions and what will happen might bbe different.

Will BlackBerry still be around in 2017, I don't know but I am hoping it will be still there. I also hoping its Makert share will be way much bigger than now.
    Lostboy5151 likes this.
    12-18-13 09:38 AM
    Let's just all agree that no matter what happens, the world will always offer we, the consumer minority, an opportunity to use something that the masses do not. Lol.

I frankly would enjoy it if BB finds some way to keep occasionally making devices, which are primarily only sold and marketed to businesses and governments/military - because then I get to be that crazy lone wolf amidst a sea of iPhone copycats. That's practically how it is now.
    Who's with me???

Posted via CB10
    Lostboy5151 likes this.
    12-18-13 10:10 PM
    I'm sure I speak for Fanboys everywhere when I say, thank you for enlightening us with YOUR need for us to touch YOUR reality!

Personally, I had a moment of clarity once and it scared the H E L L outa me.
    I'm doin' just fine out here in the Twilight Zone, thank you!
    12-20-13 01:15 AM
    Well, it's in an article so it must be true.

People will always make the error of projecting the present trend into the future without properly considering how factors can and will change.

We have been trying to predict the weather for thousands of years, and still can't tell you exactly where a hurricane will hit, or whether it will rain next week.

People we be willing to admit to themselves that it's not possible to know what will happen. All we can do is look at possible plays, and possible results of various factors we cannot ever be certain. That article is a nonsense. Full stop.

Posted via CB10
    You had me at the first sentence.
    Part of the Human Condition is the need to be told what to believe at any given time.
    The media tells you what you want to hear because (take the a fore mentioned article) you'll believe it.

OK, I'll save you the rantings and be agreeable.(you're welcome)
    I agree 100% with the above quote with one exception.

I DO know what will happen. I'm not telling though, because it'll ruin the surprise!
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 12-20-13 at 01:47 AM.
    12-20-13 01:36 AM
    As long as as there is a demand for the Blackberry phone, there will be a market.
    Demand? What demand? Soon enough the only demand will be from the 100 or so die hard on here lol..

Sent from my Nexus 4
    12-21-13 09:54 AM
    Lol anyone who uses an old and outdated iPhone is clueless. By far the most outdated phone on the market. I think more people are waking up to the Apple fraud of the same outdated tiny phone and getting an android.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 10:04 AM
    +1. Totally agree.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 10:08 AM
    By 2017, the us won't be the most important market.

I pulled that one out my arse too.
    12-21-13 08:28 PM
129 ... 3456