01-19-20 02:07 AM
113 ... 2345
tools
    Interesting, the guy takes the time to film the phones but does not talk to anyone employees in the booth. Even off camera.
    01-14-20 09:31 AM
    Interesting, the guy takes the time to film the phones but does not talk to anyone employees in the booth. Even off camera.
    He described his conversations with a few of them.
    01-14-20 09:39 AM
    Nobody seems to want to jeopardize their job with TCL on camera.
    01-14-20 09:42 AM
    I get the TCL business reasoning of keeping quiet about the end of Blackberry devices so they can flog remaining stock, but the lack any sort of reporting on the subject is ridiculous, especially from Blackberry focused sources like Crackberry... sigh.....
    towngirl and John Albert like this.
    01-14-20 10:29 AM
    I get the TCL business reasoning of keeping quiet about the end of Blackberry devices so they can flog remaining stock, but the lack any sort of reporting on the subject is ridiculous, especially from Blackberry focused sources like Crackberry... sigh.....
    No other news outlets care.

As far as Crackberry is concerned, I think we all know here anyway, don't we?
    01-14-20 10:46 AM

As far as Crackberry is concerned, I think we all know here anyway, don't we?
    Nope.
    01-14-20 10:49 AM
    Nope.
    I'll give you a hint: no more BlackBerry-branded devices from TCL.
    01-14-20 10:54 AM
    I'll give you a hint: no more BlackBerry-branded devices from TCL.
    That is why I said.. where is everybody going

Apparently, Chuck has a secret place

I guess the Android place .. not sure I like it there lol
    01-14-20 11:08 AM

Give it a chance, Some are better than others
    01-14-20 11:09 AM

Always follow Chuck into a room. Never let him allow you to enter first. I've seen too many gangster movies.
    towngirl and app_Developer like this.
    01-14-20 11:12 AM
    Give it a chance, Some are better than others
    Not really. And they don't have "Ask Bla1ze"
    lol
    01-14-20 11:13 AM

Pretty sure he has moved on to an Apple place...

But he likes to keep his Android place on the side, for variety.

But he recently tied the BB10 place again... think he's done there.
    01-14-20 11:28 AM
    Pretty sure he has moved on to an Apple place...

But he likes to keep his Android place on the side, for variety.

But he recently tied the BB10 place again... think he's done there.
    APPLE ... where is the barf bag
    01-14-20 11:31 AM
    Actually, I'd be OK with Apple if I could do the Apple World... just ... can't... do .. it

They control too much. And the phones get eaten up and you need to pay lots to get more space.. it's such a trap and I am not getting sucked into it
    01-14-20 11:46 AM
    àfter CES it looks like my next Blackberry device will be a Pixel 3a XL..... I could never drink the Apple Kool-Aid 😁👍
    towngirl likes this.
    01-14-20 11:59 AM
    Actually, I'd be OK with Apple if I could do the Apple World... just ... can't... do .. it

They control too much. And the phones get eaten up and you need to pay lots to get more space.. it's such a trap and I am not getting sucked into it
    Not too mention that iOS is 13 years old now and you still can't choose whatever mp3 file you want as a ringtone or alarm clock.

It has to be Apple's default sounds.

That's why their default "jingle" ringtone is so popular, because half the smartphones out there make that sound when they ring.

Not to mention the overall lack of customization and unergonomic nature of iOS which forces you to awkwardly stretch your hand for navigating around.
    hplovecraft and phuoc like this.
    01-14-20 12:46 PM
    Not too mention that iOS is 13 years old now and you still can't choose whatever mp3 file you want as a ringtone or alarm clock.

That's why their default "jingle" ringtone is so popular, because half the smartphones out there make that sound when they ring.

Not to mention the overall lack of customization and unergonomic nature of iOS which forces you to awkwardly stretch your hand for navigating around.
    With iOS13 it's pretty simple to open an MP3 in GarageBand and then Share > Ringtone....

I do get that there isn't a lot that a user can do to customize the phone beyond the wallpaper - dark / light mode - font sizes - moving icons around and creating folders. But then I mostly use the slide from left to bring up the Sir Shortcuts or the suggested apps... as I'm usually using the same ones over and over and that make is simple for me.

The "awkward stretch" applies to any slab... without a keyboard. Which I assume is the point your "trying" to make....
    01-14-20 05:01 PM

I have a lot of music mp3 from napster ..stuff you can't buy, anymore. Not giving that up to get an iphone lol. There is a lack of music places to buy music on android. 7digital is all I have found and the quality isn't that great but I can't download to laptop and phone.

Anyway.. quite of few from napster, won't got on itunes, if I load it. It used to but if they can't figure out where you got the music, it won't go.

Better if you can get the CD but with older stuff, you can't always get the CD.
    01-15-20 06:04 AM
    I have a lot of music mp3 from napster ..stuff you can't buy, anymore. Not giving that up to get an iphone lol. There is a lack of music places to buy music on android. 7digital is all I have found and the quality isn't that great but I can't download to laptop and phone.

Anyway.. quite of few from napster, won't got on itunes, if I load it. It used to but if they can't figure out where you got the music, it won't go.

Not forgetting the joys of trying to get iTunes to try & recognise your music especially when it’s coming from an mp3 🤬🤬🤬
    01-15-20 08:19 AM
    Not forgetting the joys of trying to get iTunes to try & recognise your music especially when it’s coming from an mp3
    lol yep
    01-15-20 09:18 AM

You know I've heard all these stories about how bad Apple's ecosystem is.... but that just not my experience at all. I've got about 12K files from my Napster days, and iTunes only had issues with those that were not in the MP3 format. Have some that were saved in WMA format and it can't convert those. And a few do have DRM protection...most those were ones I made using WMP... before I knew better. There could be some of the other Napster MP3 that have DRM as I haven't gone through all 12K of those files. But so far it's been maybe 2% that haven't worked.

But I don't use my Laptop very much these days, thus I don't use iTunes much. Those files live on my NAS, and the iPhone has no issues pulling off whatever files I want and playing them.

At work I use OneDrive a lot to share files between my devices... again the iPhone has no issue with OneDrive or most any of the files I've shared with it. We have some training MP4 videos that I play on my phone and cast to some displays here, with no problems.

I haven't seen any roadblock to playing most content I need played or viewed today. I get that there is some content that isn't compatible - I did use to mess with Torrents and know that videos could come in a wide range of formats, and within those formats there can be different codecs used. But that can be an issue on any platform, even Windows without a codec pack installed. I spent days/weeks converting some videos so they'd work on the PlayBooks I had or that my TV could play via USB - those same converted files will play on my iPhone.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-15-20 10:02 AM
    You know I've heard all these stories about how bad Apple's ecosystem is.... but that just not my experience at all. I've got about 12K files from my Napster days, and iTunes only had issues with those that were not in the MP3 format. Have some that were saved in WMA format and it can't convert those. And a few do have DRM protection...most those were ones I made using WMP... before I knew better. There could be some of the other Napster MP3 that have DRM as I haven't gone through all 12K of those files. But so far it's been maybe 2% that haven't worked.

But I don't use my Laptop very much these days, thus I don't use iTunes much. Those files live on my NAS, and the iPhone has no issues pulling off whatever files I want and playing them.

At work I use OneDrive a lot to share files between my devices... again the iPhone has no issue with OneDrive or most any of the files I've shared with it. We have some training MP4 videos that I play on my phone and cast to some displays here, with no problems.

I haven't seen any roadblock to playing most content I need played or viewed today. I get that there is some content that isn't compatible - I did use to mess with Torrents and know that videos could come in a wide range of formats, and within those formats there can be different codecs used. But that can be an issue on any platform, even Windows without a codec pack installed. I spent days/weeks converting some videos so they'd work on the PlayBooks I had or that my TV could play via USB - those same converted files will play on my iPhone.
    I did lose a lot. Apple went really crazy, at one time, and most of my stuff wouldn't go in iTunes. Finally, some of that sort out.

Luckily, trying iTunes was a back up and I had everything saved. It wanted lock my access. F.U. is all I can say to Apple

A lot of that was Napster music.

I do like my music. No one is messing that up on me.
    lol

Napster was awesome.
    01-15-20 04:23 PM
    I did lose a lot. Apple went really crazy, at one time, and most of my stuff wouldn't go in iTunes. Finally, some of that sort out.

Luckily, trying iTunes was a back up and I had everything saved. It wanted lock my access. F.U. is all I can say to Apple

A lot of that was Napster music.

I do like my music. No one is messing that up on me.
    lol

Napster was awesome.
    I do know that people have had different experience with Apple and iTunes in the past... I can really only judge the last four months.

I like my "classic" Napster stuff, but I like some of the stuff done over the last 20 years too.... so a streaming service is sorta a must if you really like music. Which kinda makes all my downloaded content... redundant at times.

Also a lot of the Napster stuff was from the 56K modem days... so quality is not always as good as one might hope. I'd say most of mine is 128kb or 160kb. I know towards the end I "learned" it would be best to do 320kb if possible. Today streaming service offer better sounding music than most anything MP3 can offer... and on a good sound system you can hear the difference.

You really want to hear the difference... try a free trial of TIDAL (Lossless FLAC streaming).

01-16-20 09:38 AM
    I do know that people have had different experience with Apple and iTunes in the past... I can really only judge the last four months.

I like my "classic" Napster stuff, but I like some of the stuff done over the last 20 years too.... so a streaming service is sorta a must if you really like music. Which kinda makes all my downloaded content... redundant at times.

Also a lot of the Napster stuff was from the 56K modem days... so quality is not always as good as one might hope. I'd say most of mine is 128kb or 160kb. I know towards the end I "learned" it would be best to do 320kb if possible. Today streaming service offer better sounding music than most anything MP3 can offer... and on a good sound system you can hear the difference.

You really want to hear the difference... try a free trial of TIDAL (Lossless FLAC streaming).

Yes ...

other trends :

1. Plex and Google offer free cloud music storage solutions.

2. Wireless speaker quality can be excellent. (Like my Sonos). Music Services do not use much wifi data.

3. If you have an old hi fi try to find a Chromecast audio or if you have more money there are other ways to stream to hifi.

4. Playlists- I find the curated lists on Spotify to be excellent. So much new music waiting to be discovered.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-16-20 10:05 AM
    I'd say most of mine is 128kb or 160kb. I know towards the end I "learned" it would be best to do 320kb if possible. Today streaming service offer better sounding music than most anything MP3 can offer... and on a good sound system you can hear the difference.

I'm a mobile DJ, so it's required that I have the actual music files for the music I play, as I work in a lot of venues (including the backyard of large homes) where there is no WiFi and no cell signal.

I spent the last 4 years re-ripping all of my music into FLACs, with embedded 512x512 album art and complete tags. I converted most of the collection to 320k MP3s for portable use and widest compatibility, but I can easily access my FLACs without having to pull out the physical CDs again. Some of my oldest MP3s were 128k that I ripped back in the 90s, so it was nice to replace them finally - and even nicer that flash storage has caught up so that I can carry my collection on a microSD card.
    01-16-20 04:20 PM
113 ... 2345