10-11-19 12:07 PM
101 ... 2345
tools
    That's one way of looking at it.

But getting a camera setup that doesn't look like a fidget spinner or an enlarged close up of a fly's eyes would have been nice to have, for a $1000+ design.

If it does indeed sell like hot cakes even more than last year's XS/Max (the last Apple phones that actually looked nice) then to me that just means Apple's customers will literally grab anything that the company churns out, at any cost, no matter how regressive the current product is compared to its prior iteration or how lacking it is in innovation.
    Would you have bought one if the camera looked better?
    Gene Fells and chain13 like this.
    10-08-19 02:32 PM
    It's not just me, but the general reaction to this camera design was not very enthusiastic, and for good reason (because it looks like a magnified fly)
    If you read the forums on iMore, though people may have not exactly liked the design before it came out, I don’t hear much complaint now. It performs.

My wife may not have thought I was the best looking guy on the block but, after getting know me, she learned I was the most awesome!
    10-08-19 04:45 PM
    If you read the forums on iMore, though people may have not exactly liked the design before it came out, I don’t hear much complaint now. It performs.

My wife may not have thought I was the best looking guy on the block but, after getting know me, she learned I was the most awesome!
    You might want to follow her closer on social media. Apparently #TGeekB is trending downward in “likes”
    10-08-19 04:51 PM
    You might want to follow her closer on social media. Apparently #TGeekB is trending downward in “likes”
    My 15 minutes of fame is over.
    10-08-19 04:52 PM
    I'm not defending the look. I'm just suggesting that it was an intentional choice, based on Apple's internal marketing data about what drives buyer behavior and their business objectives.

In plain English, they knew what the phone was going to look like and made a conscious decision that it was fine for its purpose, which was to be the geekiest of the iPhone variants, for well-heeled gear heads who cared more about performance than design.
    I think that's pretty much his point, that Apple wasn't concerned with how rushed and slapdash this camera design looks. They know people will buy it at this point because the hardware geeks will enjoy it, the new buyers that want a smartphone that can be easily sold on an iPhone will buy it, plus everyone with an iPhone that isn't in those previous classifications will grab one due to ecosystem lock-in. So they already know they're going to sell a couple phones, and it can look less than stellar for a year and be written off as a minor oops if anyone whines about it, and they'll "learn their lesson" next year with a brand new look if there's more than a little backlash.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-08-19 05:21 PM
    I think that's pretty much his point, that Apple wasn't concerned with how rushed and slapdash this camera design looks. They know people will buy it at this point because the hardware geeks will enjoy it, the new buyers that want a smartphone that can be easily sold on an iPhone will buy it, plus everyone with an iPhone that isn't in those previous classifications will grab one due to ecosystem lock-in. So they already know they're going to sell a couple phones, and it can look less than stellar for a year and be written off as a minor oops if anyone whines about it, and they'll "learn their lesson" next year with a brand new look if there's more than a little backlash.
    Who said it was rushed and slapdash? Apple doesn’t rush anything.
    10-08-19 06:29 PM
    iOS 13 seemed rushed for release. But like Christmas, they know it arrives once a year
    10-08-19 07:29 PM
    Or, it could be exactly the phone they wanted to bring to market. Perhaps they know the iPhone look has gotten old and predictable. I haven't heard or read anything to convince me that Apple would do anything different if it had spent more time on the design.
    10-08-19 08:56 PM
    Who said it was rushed and slapdash? Apple doesn’t rush anything.
    Or, it could be exactly the phone they wanted to bring to market. Perhaps they know the iPhone look has gotten old and predictable. I haven't heard or read anything to convince me that Apple would do anything different if it had spent more time on the design.
    Your posts seem to make mine out as though I'm saying they were crunched for time and had to come up with an idea in time to meet a deadline. No, what I'm saying is even though they had plenty of time, they went with either the first idea, or the easiest idea, or they didn't even look at whomever offered this up. They absolutely knew what they were releasing and they don't care, because all rumors point to Something Big And Shiny And Brand New© from Apple next year.
    10-09-19 12:48 AM
    Bottom line it got some attention or extra buzz.... sure seems like more than the refined and elegant Galaxy S10 or Note 10 got.

Maybe they purposely gave people something to talk about?
    10-09-19 07:48 AM
    Your posts seem to make mine out as though I'm saying they were crunched for time and had to come up with an idea in time to meet a deadline. No, what I'm saying is even though they had plenty of time, they went with either the first idea, or the easiest idea, or they didn't even look at whomever offered this up. They absolutely knew what they were releasing and they don't care, because all rumors point to Something Big And Shiny And Brand New© from Apple next year.
    I think they wanted to call attention to the defining feature of the phone, the triple camera system, so they did so very intentionally. I see no sign that it was "the first idea" or the "easiest idea." And I don't even know what you mean by "they didn't even look at whomever offered this up.". I see no evidence that Apple was careless with the design.

Of course I've never really liked anything about the design of any if the iPhones. They are basically designed as lollipops for adults, IMO. I find the 11 Pro to be no better or worse.
    10-09-19 10:03 AM
    Your posts seem to make mine out as though I'm saying they were crunched for time and had to come up with an idea in time to meet a deadline. No, what I'm saying is even though they had plenty of time, they went with either the first idea, or the easiest idea, or they didn't even look at whomever offered this up. They absolutely knew what they were releasing and they don't care, because all rumors point to Something Big And Shiny And Brand New from Apple next year.
    Ok, got ya.
    I have heard the same rumors about next year. Possible zoom lens?
    10-09-19 11:31 AM
    Ok, got ya.
    I have heard the same rumors about next year. Possible zoom lens?
    Heard it was a mini CT Scanner... Apple is going full board into health aspects of mobility devices.

Just kidding.... but yeah the a time-of-flight sensor and telephoto lens are the rumors.
    10-09-19 11:48 AM
    Heard it was a mini CT Scanner... Apple is going full board into health aspects of mobility devices.

Just kidding.... but yeah the a time-of-flight sensor and telephoto lens are the rumors.
    10-09-19 04:11 PM
    The iPhone 11 Pro/Max cameras look like crap. They should not have been this ugly.

The Pixel 4 has an underwhelming battery size. It should not have been this small.

It's not that hard to comprehend.
    Though I agree that iphone 11 camera design is crap, It's still the best camera phone outthere. I was once arguing about notch being more into "design not function" before. And I stated that notch doesn't cut any feature that a phone without notch has, so it keeps both feature and design. Then here it is, complaining about fully functioning good camera in bad design. I would say, iphone 11 is about "feature not design".
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-10-19 03:04 AM
    Though I agree that iphone 11 camera design is crap, It's still the best camera phone outthere. I was once arguing about notch being more into "design not function" before. And I stated that notch doesn't cut any feature that a phone without notch has, so it keeps both feature and design. Then here it is, complaining about fully functioning good camera in bad design. I would say, iphone 11 is about "feature not design".
    Still remember when Nokia was "trying" to do something with Windows. That Lumia 1020 with the 41 Mega Pixel Camera and the first really big "bulge".

The way I see it, the fidget spinner on the back isn't that big of a deal once isn't inside of a life proof case and has a popsocket sitting next to it.
    chain13 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-10-19 10:40 AM
    Bottom line it got some attention or extra buzz.... sure seems like more than the refined and elegant Galaxy S10 or Note 10 got.

Maybe they purposely gave people something to talk about?
    Lol so their iPhones have gotten so boring and predictable that they have to purposely make something ugly to get attention.

How pathetic if that's true
    10-10-19 10:05 PM
    Lol so their iPhones have gotten so boring and predictable that they have to purposely make something ugly to get attention.

How pathetic if that's true
    I think the first part is true. Their phones have been boring and predictable since the iPhone 6.

And you obviously think the second part is true, that the 11 Pro is ugly.

What no one can prove is the causality.
    10-11-19 06:35 AM
    Look at Apple's advertising of the phone. They clearly are proud of the look of the camera lense assembly!
    10-11-19 06:36 AM
    Look at Apple's advertising of the phone. They clearly are proud of the look of the camera lense assembly!
    Does kinda make the iPhone 11 stand out a little from the crowd today. And let's face it, most Apple buyers like standing out.... that's kinda part of human nature. One of the keys to great Art... little imperfection.

If some want to complain about Apple... they might try harping on some of the software bugs in iOS 13, or maybe "some" reports that some have had scratches show up on the screens. But folks have gotten past the "looks" of the camera.

I think short of a PKB... Boon never going to like today's phones.
    10-11-19 08:43 AM
    Does kinda make the iPhone 11 stand out a little from the crowd today. And let's face it, most Apple buyers like standing out.... that's kinda part of human nature. One of the keys to great Art... little imperfection.

If some want to complain about Apple... they might try harping on some of the software bugs in iOS 13, or maybe "some" reports that some have had scratches show up on the screens. But folks have gotten past the "looks" of the camera.

I think short of a PKB... Boon never going to like today's phones.
    Standing out via a crappy looking design isn't something I'd be proud of.

And yes I have a high preference for a PKB in general, but if they're gonna make another boring slab of glass, at least make it look nice... on both sides.
    10-11-19 10:10 AM
    Standing out via a crappy looking design isn't something I'd be proud of.

And yes I have a high preference for a PKB in general, but if they're gonna make another boring slab of glass, at least make it look nice... on both sides.
    It's funny. I had never looked at the iPhone 11 Pro because I detest iOS, but I can now honestly say that I think it's the best looking iPhone I've seen, ever. That means I'd give it a score of 5 out of 10.

I am not saying this just to troll you. It's my honest opinion that the 11 Pro is less goofy looking than other iPhones.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    10-11-19 10:25 AM
    It's funny. I had never looked at the iPhone 11 Pro because I detest iOS, but I can now honestly say that I think it's the best looking iPhone I've seen, ever. That means I'd give it a score of 5 out of 10.

I am not saying this just to troll you. It's my honest opinion that the 11 Pro is less goofy looking than other iPhones.

And which one would be the goofiest looking?
    10-11-19 10:41 AM
    And which one would be the goofiest looking?
    That's like trying to identify the slimiest slug, but rather than ducks the question, I'll nominate the 8 plus, followed by the 3, then all the others 6-8.

10-11-19 10:50 AM
    That's like trying to identify the slimiest slug, but rather than ducks the question, I'll nominate the 8 plus, followed by the 3, then all the others 6-8.

So you agree there is no "goofiness" with the X/XS/Max designs of 2017-2018 ?
    10-11-19 11:07 AM
101 ... 2345