this does not change:

1. Bluetooth capability (bridge)

2. mobile hotspot capability

does not change ABILITY to bridge as far as i can see.

while bridged or on mobile hotspot to PB it may suck back more data now? i dont know
    Some Unlimited Data Plans are not allowed to tether. So its not possible to surf the internet via Laptop, or Tablet etc. With Bridge and PlayBook it was possible. I am not a Techi and dont know it is a BIS thing. So maybe i could wrong. :-) And hope so. ;-)
    01-31-13 12:49 AM
    Some Unlimited Data Plans are not allowed to tether. So its not possible to surf the internet via Laptop, or Tablet etc. With Bridge and PlayBook it was possible. I am not a Techi and dont know it is a BIS thing. So maybe i could wrong. :-) And hope so. ;-)
    Is bridge not "undetectable" as tethering by the carrier though?

regular tethering/mobile hotspot is detectable
    01-31-13 12:53 AM
    If the "no more data compression" is true then I am going to be one pissed off user. This was always an advantage to BlackBerry over the others.
    01-31-13 12:54 AM
    I'm so glad that I switched from blackberry to my s3. The only bright spot was bis compression and security. Now there is no longer any reason to look back.

I use twice as much data as before, but mostly because the screen is bigger.
    01-31-13 12:55 AM
    I'm so glad that I switched from blackberry to my s3. The only bright spot was bis compression and security. Now there is no longer any reason to look back.

awesome!
    01-31-13 12:57 AM

What the **** does using more data have to do with screen size?
    This is not consistent with one of the inside blackberry blog posts. In that blog post, RIM said the dev alpha's are an exception, and that bb10 phones still need bb specific data plans. I think K-Mich needs to get to the bottom of this for us.
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    Images are bigger. Even on low quality, Opera eats up more data on the bigger screen. Mostly I blame Opera I guess. Don't know otherwise why it would consume more data, it doesn't use bis.

Regardless, phasing out bis will make it easier to sell parts of the company. Hopefully, that has nothing to do with it. I am still hoping they will support bis as a subscription service for all phones, otherwise they will simply be wasting this huge infrastructure that no one else has.
    01-31-13 01:08 AM

Good Question. I dont know. :-) Hope so....
    I am so confused with the discontinue of BIS. Kevin need to clear the things up for us. :-)
    01-31-13 01:09 AM
    Good Question. I dont know. :-) Hope so....
    I am so confused with the discontinue of BIS. Kevin need to clear the things up for us. :-)
    I have had bridge work with MANY different Sims all over on different carriers. On payGo numbers and everything. I believe its not detectable because its bluetooth
    01-31-13 01:13 AM
    Images are bigger. Even on low quality, Opera eats up more data on the bigger screen. Mostly I blame Opera I guess. Don't know otherwise why it would consume more data, it doesn't use bis.

Regardless, phasing out bis will make it easier to sell parts of the company. Hopefully, that has nothing to do with it. I am still hoping they will support bis as a subscription service for all phones, otherwise they will simply be wasting this huge infrastructure that no one else has.
    God forbid using data on HDMI to TV. It will eat too much data!
    Nindia likes this.
    01-31-13 01:14 AM

It was undetectable because everything was disguised as "BlackBerry data" through BIS.

Now that BIS appears to be gone, there's no funneling data through BB Data.
    01-31-13 01:32 AM
    If the "no more data compression" is true then I am going to be one pissed off user. This was always an advantage to BlackBerry over the others.
    People want to watch sleepy kitten videos on youtube --- and h.264 is already the most advanced and most compressed codec on earth. You can't compress that video size any further. For every single old timer who appreciates data compression, there are 100 new smartphone users who don't care. RIM has no choice in that matter.
    01-31-13 02:20 AM
    People want to watch sleepy kitten videos on youtube --- and h.264 is already the most advanced and most compressed codec on earth. You can't compress that video size any further. For every single old timer who appreciates data compression, there are 100 new smartphone users who don't care. RIM has no choice in that matter.
    I think you underestimate the value of saving $10+ per month on data charges. Guess what... I watch videos over wifi. When I switched to Android, I found I was using twice as much data... I was lucky that Telus is such a great company that appreciates customer loyalty that I got enough data with an affordable plan -- kind of the opposite of BB apparently.
    01-31-13 02:32 AM
    Strange ... basically this means carriers will bill the whole thing. I believe this is going to be MUCH more expensive than BIS plans ... But usage raise (BBM video ?) might explain that.
    01-31-13 04:08 AM
    Strange ... basically this means carriers will bill the whole thing. I believe this is going to be MUCH more expensive than BIS plans ... But usage raise (BBM video ?) might explain that.
    I am going to ask them to increase my data amount by the percentage my data use goes up for the same price. I never use my 1gb but if all of a sudden i start using 1.5gb? I expect the 2gb plan for the same price.
    01-31-13 04:12 AM
    it is diappointing to me also if data compression and push mails are not available in BB10.
    01-31-13 04:15 AM
    I'm with you on that one. With the sheer volume of emails i get, I like the data compression. The push email's though, will be handled by Active Sync, as the PlayBook is so it won't be an issue there.
    Data compression is simply an amazing reason to buy a Blackberry. Yes, I want.

What I really don't understand is why RIM don't make BIS optional add on to a regular data smartphone plan. They could keep a lot of e-mail junkies happy with their push mails and make some money doing so. I would pay 5-10 $ extra.
    I second this.
    Carriers should have given us this option for sure.
    Please! May we have it!

Suddenly the old Blackberry way of doing things doesn't look so bad... irony?
    Yes, we want BIS and email folders.
    The good old feeling of a BB!

we will have to see.

The launch does not show us real word blackberry use without BIS. maybe its not bad

I do like BIS tho
    I cant gulp down the Blackberry without BIS, yet!
    01-31-13 04:23 AM
    It is not clear to me that push email is missing. In another thread, someone swears they have push email for imap, activesync, Gmail, yahoo, etc. I find my data usage with a good imap push client is near native bb email except when *viewing* attachments.

Also, I find that this is a strange way for bb to drop bis. No warning to investors that it is completely off the table as of bb10. Wtf?

For these reasons alone, the launch party failed in its primary mission. Horrible!
    01-31-13 07:53 AM
    Is this a joke post ?

If BB are seriously doing away with BIS for users then the whole concept of a BlackBerry phone collapses. There is no way in **** I will give up the security and performance advantages BIS offers just so I can use an overhyped Galaxy knockoff phone complete with outrageous data plan pricing!

Screw that! I will be outta here quick smart if this is all true.
    01-31-13 08:08 AM
    Poster is saying they tend to use it more as a media consumption device because the large screen makes that a better experience. More media = more data.
    01-31-13 08:15 AM

Opera is a special case as Opera pre-processes web pages before it forwards the page to your phone in order to format it for phone.

On Opera, when you type in www.crackberry.com, that page is fully downloaded to the Opera servers first. It is then processed. The processed page is then sent to the phone.

None of the native browsers on any of the OS's do this kind of pre-processing. However, the result of Opera's pre-processing is that often web pages end up behaving strangely when the page uses a lot of JavaScript.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 08:35 AM
    So, I am happy with my current contract. Would the Z10 work ok if I took the sim out of my 8520 and used that.
    (WITH Bis plan) ?
    01-31-13 09:04 AM
    Regarding data compression...I seem to recall a recent CB podcast saying that things like video are not compressed.
    01-31-13 09:51 AM
    So, I am happy with my current contract. Would the Z10 work ok if I took the sim out of my 8520 and used that.
    (WITH Bis plan) ?
    I think, and don't quote me on this, that you need a new sim to utilize the LTE network. I assume that it should work if you want the slower speeds.
    01-31-13 10:05 AM
117 12345