Hopefully no bad news for us folks.

Amazon's Android app has quietly been removed from Google Play

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 08:51 AM
    Hopefully no bad news for us folks.

Amazon's Android app has quietly been removed from Google Play

Posted via CB10
    Google is working towards a more "controlled" and closed ecosystem.... this is just one of many steps they are taking.

Doesn't mean much in the short term, and possibly developers will reset Google plans. But for the most part they seem to initially be designed to help protect developers from lost sales due to piracy. So I can't see developers not embracing the death of 3rd party stores.
    12-12-14 09:09 AM
    Google is working towards a more "controlled" and closed ecosystem.... this is just one of many steps they are taking.

Doesn't mean much in the short term, and possibly developers will reset Google plans. But for the most part they seem to initially be designed to help protect developers from lost sales due to piracy. So I can't see developers not embracing the death of 3rd party stores.
    Thanks for that insight, sir. But I thought Google was a "cool guy" and open eco system. Strange move.

Very mixed reactions in the comments. I just hope that we still have it on our BlackBerry. Though I am not into Android apps on my BlackBerry. But the more options, the better.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 09:41 AM
    Thanks for that insight, sir. But I thought Google was a "cool guy" and open eco system. Strange move.

Very mixed reactions in the comments. I just hope that we still have it on our BlackBerry. Though I am not into Android apps on my BlackBerry. But the more options, the better.

Posted via CB10
    Being "open" and protecting content don't necessarily collide.

I don't think it affects BB10 directly. It was a slick move my Amazon that was rebuffed. Amazon itself wouldn't allow the reverse o happen, and it clearly views having the app on the Play Store as a priority.
    12-12-14 09:48 AM
    I just get the apk from amazon itself...
    12-12-14 12:35 PM
    The app isn't going away... it just that Google is not going to allow it in their store. Think they let Amazon get by with it because of all the other Amazon content that Google needed to help build the ecosystem. But it's funny how once you get to the top, you forget about everyone that helped you get there.

But now Amazon has their own OS, and Google has their own content....
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-12-14 12:50 PM
    Google hasn't allowed apps that are an entry to other app stores for a long time because it bypasses default security settings. Amazon skirted it by adding that function to their existing Shopping app in September, now they can't do that anymore. Now you'll have to do what you've always done go to Amazon and DL their appstore app.

Perhaps Amazon can come to reciprocal agreement to have each other's appstore app directly thru Play and Amazon. Lol of course not.
    12-12-14 01:25 PM
    Google hasn't allowed apps that are an entry to other app stores for a long time because it bypasses default security settings. Amazon skirted it by adding that function to their existing Shopping app in September, now they can't do that anymore. Now you'll have to do what you've always done go to Amazon and DL their appstore app.

Perhaps Amazon can come to reciprocal agreement to have each other's appstore app directly thru Play and Amazon. Lol of course not.
    Exactly.

It was a cheeky move that Amazon itself wouldn't allow.
    12-12-14 01:29 PM
    Maybe they will build a bb10 app since they can't make it for Google play

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 02:08 PM
    Maybe they will build a bb10 app since they can't make it for Google play

Posted via CB10
    Doubt it. BB users are welcome to use the Amazon Appstore.
    12-12-14 02:12 PM
    Only a matter of time before Android becomes a closed system. It's the only way they can make the Android experience similar across all devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 07:27 PM