08-25-15 08:02 PM
27 12
tools
    All these android BlackBerry phones and no mention of the hub. I thought it would be a cool idea for them to run android OS but with no hub, I'm not even in the slightest interested in switching.

BlackBerry OS is the cleanest and most productive with its hub organization. Android OS is messy and kinda ugly. I guess I'll do what BB7 guys did, buy a bunch of the phones before the switch.
    nt300 and bigjman like this.
    08-07-15 06:11 PM
    It's just a test unit. They obviously aren't ready to show the hub on other platforms.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-07-15 07:09 PM
    This pic has been making the rounds lately too. There's no way the HUB wouldn't be there.

No hub? No switch-1438993377717_377253.jpeg

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-07-15 07:24 PM
    Man I hope you're right. To me the OS is perfect. Just fix the call out and answer lag and I'd be the happiest person. (on my z10, perfect on classic)

Also I think BlackBerry should address some of the rumors about the android phone. The leaks and pics and info is out so why not? The stock is tanking and no one cares anyways. Just out with it. Who are they waiting to surprise? Blah
    08-07-15 11:53 PM
    I'm sure the hub will be there. They were trying to get the hub to enterprise customers on Android previously. I doubt they will simply place a stock Android on a BlackBerry phone.

Posted via CB10
    velkod likes this.
    08-08-15 03:45 PM
    No Hub? No switch!
    ...no router either...

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    08-09-15 08:37 AM
    I don't think it will work properly (or at least how we're used to) unless applications are updated to work with it properly. You can theoretically hack together a hub by hijacking the Android notifications system, but it's not exactly the same (example, virtually everything you can do in hub now will redirect to the respective app unless it's wholly built into Hub)
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-09-15 08:52 AM
    I just recently learned how awesome the Hub is. After getting the Note Edge, I started missing it after a couple of minutes. Even though Samsung's own mail client offers a combined inbox view, the functionality is far behind our Hub. First of course the client only shows mails, second the whole concept somehow lacks convenience.
    When my Classic arrived back from warranty, I was relieved having my Hub back. It is an awesome, yet strangely underestimated feature of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 07:52 PM
    I don't see how the hub is not possible within android in the form of an app because android allows interaction between apps and there's always public APIs for social apps for example that the developers can take advantage of to make it as close to the current hub as possible. The only downside is that for android you cannot peak but it's not that important to me when the android notification tray indicates what messages you have unread. Stock android right now has a swipe up gesture from the home button that takes the user to google now; this can be changed to take the user to the hub for example.
    08-10-15 02:28 AM
    I don't see how the hub is not possible within android in the form of an app because android allows interaction between apps and there's always public APIs for social apps for example that the developers can take advantage of to make it as close to the current hub as possible. The only downside is that for android you cannot peak but it's not that important to me when the android notification tray indicates what messages you have unread. Stock android right now has a swipe up gesture from the home button that takes the user to google now; this can be changed to take the user to the hub for example.
    Okay... How about this:
    On your Blackberry install an Android email client (any one, maybe Gmail or Outlook), Android Skype, Android Facebook (And Android Facebook Chat), etc, and disable the built in email client?

This would be a rough equivalent to how Hub would work on Android devices.
    08-10-15 09:19 AM
    Hub?

Probably yes.

Swipe gesture to open? Not sure, or doubtful... :-)

  BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!  
    08-12-15 04:03 PM
    I found this Hub - emsi which tries to emulate the BB10 Hub experience.

I believe it does show the restrictions that Blackberry will encounter, namely that third-party applications will not have surrport for this implementation.

There is a way to mostly get around this, but it involves Blackberry rolling their own applications: Phone, SMS, Email, and maybe even a launcher so Hub works the way it does on BB10. But by doing that you lock down the system to those apps, and any attempts of swapping anything out with your preferred app will break Hub (plus make all that work for nothing).

It would only work properly if Google used it's clout to force all third-party apps to support it, after which it would be an Android-wide feature and not a Blackberry specific perk.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-13-15 10:24 AM
    Android's antiquated design is most likely incapable of having the Hub. Or it wouldn't run as it does on BB10. iOS is even worst, of course.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 11:56 AM
    Android's antiquated design is most likely incapable of having the Hub. Or it wouldn't run as it does on BB10. iOS is even worst, of course.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Don't think so. It will work fine with Lollipop. . I can't wait until I can have it on my M9.
    Better get used to BB spending more R&D dollars on Android then BB10.
    techvisor and MO3iusONE like this.
    08-13-15 01:54 PM
    I just recently use sony z ultra.,was coming from z10. I really wish i can get the hub in my z ultra.
    08-17-15 05:43 PM
    A BlackBerry Android without hub (or very, very similar) would be DOA to all BlackBerry fans.

I don't see how they could not pull it off, even if it was done as a widget app.. the android notification system should easily be able to transfer into another app/feature such as the hub

BB for Life
    08-17-15 10:17 PM
    I recently had to go back to android due to a faulty z30 , the device protection company couldn't get a replacement. . I find myself annoyed at androids notifications and the email system on the galaxy s5 and have tried a few different ones like Blu (the one mentioned earlier in the comments isn't available for my phone ). If the slider is any variant of android I'll be looking for a bb passport. I had the galaxy for 1 whole hour before a random reset, I had the z30 for year and a half without one reset.. I miss the hub and keyboard and it's only been two weeks. It's amazing to me how important the basics of an operating system are.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    velkod likes this.
    08-17-15 11:49 PM
    I recently had to go back to android due to a faulty z30 , the device protection company couldn't get a replacement. . I find myself annoyed at androids notifications and the email system on the galaxy s5 and have tried a few different ones like Blu (the one mentioned earlier in the comments isn't available for my phone ). If the slider is any variant of android I'll be looking for a bb passport. I had the galaxy for 1 whole hour before a random reset, I had the z30 for year and a half without one reset.. I miss the hub and keyboard and it's only been two weeks. It's amazing to me how important the basics of an operating system are.

What carrier do you have?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 07:43 AM
    A BlackBerry Android without hub (or very, very similar) would be DOA to all BlackBerry fans.

I don't see how they could not pull it off, even if it was done as a widget app.. the android notification system should easily be able to transfer into another app/feature such as the hub

BB for Life
    SO WHAT? It's not like there are enough BlackBerry fans to keep the doors open away.

Chen wants a product that he can make some money on... so most likely the security features or having it tied into the Android for Work will be the focus. The UI and interaction with ALL social apps, might not be the priority.

It's been said that the BlackBerry Experience would be an add-on for BES12.... the question is will the HUB work only inside the Workspace Container? Or will it be like "our" hub and be on the outside and allow for displaying both the container work data and the personal data?
    08-18-15 08:11 AM
    No screen no buy for me

Z30 (10.3.1)
    08-18-15 10:26 AM
    I'm through telus using esecuritel for device protection. They were good to deal with but couldn't get a z30

08-19-15 01:14 AM
    SO WHAT? It's not like there are enough BlackBerry fans to keep the doors open away.

Chen wants a product that he can make some money on... so most likely the security features or having it tied into the Android for Work will be the focus. The UI and interaction with ALL social apps, might not be the priority.

It's been said that the BlackBerry Experience would be an add-on for BES12.... the question is will the HUB work only inside the Workspace Container? Or will it be like "our" hub and be on the outside and allow for displaying both the container work data and the personal data?
    It not that it's important to keep BlackBerry fans happy, but it is important to maintain some fraction of a corporate identity.

BlackBerry now outsources it's production, and has presumably switched operating systems. If they do not release with the Hub, it would no longer be a BlackBerry, it is a samsung android with BlackBerry written at the top.

BB for Life
    08-19-15 11:22 AM
    It not that it's important to keep BlackBerry fans happy, but it is important to maintain some fraction of a corporate identity.

BlackBerry now outsources it's production, and has presumably switched operating systems. If they do not release with the Hub, it would no longer be a BlackBerry, it is a samsung android with BlackBerry written at the top.

BB for Life
    With only 10 million users that have a clue of what the HUB is.... I don't think it is all that baked into their corporate identity. Their corporate identity is now pretty much just security... so that is what there focuses has to be.

That said there are leaked pictures and rumors of the HUB, so I'd say it is pretty safe to say it is there. How integrated it is, how it works with other apps and if there is an extra cost for it.... remains to be seen.
    08-19-15 11:32 AM
    BlackBerry has talked about building HUB add-ons for Android and Apple. Seems unlikely it would not put this on the slider.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    08-19-15 12:13 PM
    Agreed....no hub no switch

Posted via CB10
    velkod likes this.
    08-19-15 01:46 PM
27 12