Nice piece from the Toronto Star assessing BlackBerry's current situation and praising Chen's job as CEO so far...

A resurrection for Blackberry? | Toronto Star
    gokulesh, bungaboy, m1kr0 and 1 others like this.
    07-25-14 03:59 PM
    Thank you for sharing this. I have the same thoughts with them

Drooling for BlackBerry Passport!
    07-25-14 04:05 PM
    Good post thanks for sharing

posted via my Q10SQN100-3/10.3.0.xxx (don't ask)
    07-25-14 04:15 PM
    ... Knowing he has to get revenues growing again, and create a bulwark against deals like the recent Microsoft Corp. alliance with IBM Corp. on mobile apps for the enterprise market, Chen has recruited three former colleagues from Sybase to fill top BB management spots.
    What recent Microsoft alliance deal with IBM? Does he mean Apple and IBM?

Either way, Chen has got an answer!! #teamblackberry
    07-25-14 04:36 PM
    Nice find! So optimistic!

From my z30
    07-25-14 04:47 PM
    More like a transformation. BlackBerry will not be the company it was. It will still serve the enterprise and regulated markets, but in different ways. It will also be in new markets through QNX. It may grow bigger then ever.

What it will never again be though, is a relevant consumer smart phone maker. If BlackBerry continues to make devices at all much beyond the Passport and Classic, they will evolve into niche products designed for specific enterprise needs and sold exclusively through corporate channels. Think along the lines of Panasonic phones these days. Highly specialized, not built for, or marketed to consumers. There won't even be a shopblackberry.com site to buy from.

If the handset business is not sustainable. Then expect it to be sold to Amazon. They are the company that is looking to be a more prominent hardware player yet lacking the clout and carrier relationships. Buying BlackBerry's hardware business would instantly make Amazon Phones credible. If Amazon doesn't want it, it will be shuttered if they cannot reach their goal of 10 million units per year without help from consumers.

BlackBerry
    It's not personal. Just Business from now on.
    07-25-14 10:11 PM
    The BlackBerry IBM deal refers to an alliance between the two companies for Web hosted BES services in Germany. I believe I saw a red to this order at N4BB.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 10:40 PM
    Sorry... forgot to proof read. I saw an article about the BlackBerry IBM alliance over at N4BB.com.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 10:46 PM
    I think BlackBerry can win over the masses again as people wake up and realize they DO have a cboice, and then they can realize they DO care about having a choice. Just the absence of malware and spy-apps can win people over once they have a look. My first blackberry was only my second smartphone, and i could never put up with having another spydroid phone. I am amazed at the way things have turned around already.

One can Never say 'never.'
    North60 likes this.
    07-26-14 01:41 AM
    I think BlackBerry can win over the masses again as people wake up and realize they DO have a cboice, and then they can realize they DO care about having a choice. Just the absence of malware and spy-apps can win people over once they have a look. My first blackberry was only my second smartphone, and i could never put up with having another spydroid phone. I am amazed at the way things have turned around already.

It's almost as if you are peeking in my window.

>.>
    <.<
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-26-14 02:11 AM

People already have lots of choices. Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Fire OS, Firefox OS, Sailfish, and soon Tizen, and Ubuntu.

You know why people put up with all the malware and laggyness on Android? Google Services. You know why people put up with being told how they should hold their phone and all Apple's proprietary format garbage? Apple services.

You know what's more important to virtually every consumer out there then having freedom and choice? A good set of native services that allow them to not have to think about what to use and it all just works.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-26-14 12:06 PM

You know what's more important to virtually every consumer out there then having freedom and choice? A good set of native services that allow them to not have to think about what to use and it all just works.
    This line made me laugh so hard I nearly spit out my coffee.

Except for the tech minded, most consumers I've dealt with use their phones to do very few things. They have no idea what else they can do. They've bought apple or android because that's what the sales person or a friend recommended. There may be 2 or 3 apps they use on a regular basis.

I constantly see people who make mild complaints about this or that on their phones. For the Apple it's 'don't send so many pages (from our internal office messaging system), we can't keep track of them and then we miss important ones'. For android users I get a lot of complaints about notifications - as in 'when I try to turn up my volume it increases my font size' to my favourite 'my phone wakes me up with notifications in the middle of the night '.

I assume there are settings that can be tweaked on these devices and I tell the complainers this. Do they bother to look for them? No. Of course not. That would require a level of effort beyond most people's interest. They simply accept the phone the way it is and use it at its most basic level. Yes it 'just works' but not necessarily in the most efficient manner.

Quite frankly it amazes me that people are satisfied with their phones as they are. I believe they just honestly don't know that they can make them better with a few simple settings.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    07-27-14 09:50 AM
    People already have lots of choices. Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Fire OS, Firefox OS, Sailfish, and soon Tizen, and Ubuntu.

You know why people put up with all the malware and laggyness on Android? Google Services. You know why people put up with being told how they should hold their phone and all Apple's proprietary format garbage? Apple services.

Oh ya Google services. Useful crap that just randomly crashes after winning a achievement while gaming...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-27-14 11:23 AM