Article in today's Globe and Mail talking about the Classic, HW business, and mistakes of the past.

John Chen is about to put in place the last piece of his turnaround plan for BlackBerry Ltd. by doing something almost unheard of in the smartphone business, or the tech industry in general: launching a flagship product with old features the company previously abandoned in the name of progress.

On Wednesday, the chief executive officer of the Waterloo, Ont.-based company will unveil the Classic, a smartphone aimed at its most die-hard, change-averse customers: executives and other keyboard-dependent power users who have held on to their aging BlackBerry Bold phones rather than upgrade to the companys newer touchscreen products. Mr. Chen will make the point by unveiling the Classic in the museum-like Italian neo-Renaissance-style surroundings of Cipriani, a restaurant in New Yorks financial district with painted ceilings and marble columns.

Continued...

Will keyboard-lovers give BlackBerry Classic a chance? - The Globe and Mail
    12-13-14 11:04 AM
    Only time will tell. The Z10/Q10 duo was supposed to be Blackberry's ticket back to relevance. With with their limitations, here we are two years later, asking the same questions.

The Passport looks like a great device, but it's form does not appeal to all. Only time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 01:34 PM
    Yawn......

BlackBerry hates America!
    12-13-14 03:37 PM
    Uhm, I don't think BlackBerry considers the classic a flagship phone. Its a phone that nicely meets the needs of a niche group of blackberry fans. Leave it to the Globe and Mail to get it wrong.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 08:35 PM
    It's not unusual for tech companies to back-pedal.

"...almost unheard of in the smartphone business, or the tech industry in general: launching a flagship product with old features the company previously abandoned in the name of progress."

Microsoft is bringing back the "real" start button in Windows 10. I've got the preview... :-)

  Zzzzwipetypetapped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'....  
    gwanstarr likes this.
    12-14-14 01:47 PM
    It's not unusual for tech companies to back-pedal.

"...almost unheard of in the smartphone business, or the tech industry in general: launching a flagship product with old features the company previously abandoned in the name of progress."

Microsoft is bringing back the "real" start button in Windows 10. I've got the preview... :-)

  Zzzzwipetypetapped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'....  
    Yeah, Microsoft has been back peddling a lot with Windows. That's a good thing if they are bringing back things that people want and never should have been removed in the first place.
    12-19-14 05:48 AM
    Yes keyboard lovers will give BlackBerry Classic a chance.... All 6,248 of them.

Yeah I know there are more of you than that... but the world has changed and screen real estate is very important to many users today. Pictures, Videos, Games... these all work better on an all touch devices. Even in the corporate world I think all touch is the more desired format as it allows more information to be displayed. Now if you are a business and you don't want employees doing anything but email... then the Classic should be the perfect device. I'm just afraid this market is much smaller than anyone really expects.
    BB_Junky and sentimentGX4 like this.
    12-19-14 10:15 AM
    Yes keyboard lovers will give BlackBerry Classic a chance.... All 6,248 of them.

Yeah I know there are more of you than that... but the world has changed and screen real estate is very important to many users today. Pictures, Videos, Games... these all work better on an all touch devices. Even in the corporate world I think all touch is the more desired format as it allows more information to be displayed. Now if you are a business and you don't want employees doing anything but email... then the Classic should be the perfect device. I'm just afraid this market is much smaller than anyone really expects.
    It really all depends what type of corporate user you are. If all you do is communications based activities, then you need a PKB and can live with out the screen real estate. I'm thinking execs and folks that travel a lot for business and use their phones more than their laptops. If you are a casual user/worker bee, then you are probably using an iPhone or an S5 on BYOD and it is good enough to read and reply to messages here and there. I will say that the latter group is probably more prevalent than the former.
    12-19-14 06:41 PM

Unfortunately for BB, things that work better on all touch devices also work better on iOS and Android devices. The Classic is what most people who want Blackberries want. Chen couldn't understand why BB wouldn't build what its customers have been asking for when he took over and insisted that the Classic be built. That's probably why it is basically a modified Q10, Chen wanted quick results. Hopefully the next one has the Passport internals.
    12-27-14 08:35 AM