01-29-11 04:33 PM
36 12
tools
    This will be a great device for emerging markets, and people looking for the Low end spectrum, chances are this device will find itself in the $49 on contract price range, giving RIM something to fight the Low end Android phone market on.

Not everyone is buying Android top of the line, and iPhones, this is to give them touch screens in that market.
    I thought thats what the curve was for? See, thats the problem with RIM and why its choosing the path Nokia took rather than taking the novelty path apple took.

And if RIM was smart, they can borrow a little bit from both business models.

and if this 800 mhz curve touch ends up at $49 with a contract, then I imagine that all of todays BBs would have to be totally discontinued, since even as a low end BB, its specs are far more advanced than what we have today. Or imagine this device $49.99 and the Bold 9780 $99.99. Something would be wrong with this picture.

But at the end of the day, it just waters down the Brand and kills the novelty of having one IMO
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-29-11 at 01:08 AM.
    01-29-11 01:05 AM
    I thought thats what the curve was for? See, thats the problem with RIM and why its choosing the path Nokia took rather than taking the novelty path apple took.

And if RIM was smart, they can borrow a little bit from both business models.

and if this 800 mhz curve touch ends up at $49 with a contract, then I imagine that all of todays BBs would have to be totally discontinued, since even as a low end BB, its specs are far more advanced than what we have today. Or imagine this device $49.99 and the Bold 9780 $99.99. Something would be wrong with this picture.

But at the end of the day, it just waters down the Brand and kills the novelty of having one IMO
    Talk about the world outside of US where the phones are not subsidized like India, China etc. The market for a sub $300 phone is huge. RIM knows it's market and Curve Touch is further in that direction to counter cheap Android's. Here is the success story of 8520 in developing countries and how they popularized BB in India.

‘Enterprise email is not unique to BlackBerry, it is an industry issue’ - Money - DNA

I had listed my 8520 on ebay two months ago and I was surprised that it got sold for $150 for which I paid $0 on contract where as my wife's iphone 3GS fetched only $200 for which we paid $199+tax as down payment. That makes me feel there is a huge market and popularity for the Curve line.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-29-11 at 02:10 AM.
    01-29-11 02:03 AM
    hense... following in Nokias foot steps and losing the US market all together to Apple and Android. Dont know if thats the smartest move
    01-29-11 02:38 AM
    hense... following in Nokias foot steps and losing the US market all together to Apple and Android. Dont know if thats the smartest move
    Except they are not following Nokia,

At no time has RIM let it's Margin fall below 20%, which means they remain highly profitable, they continue to produce phones that are relevant globally, YES Marketshare in the US has declined, BUT sales have not, they have continued to grow year over year, as well as grow in the US market, just not at an exponential rate like Android manufacturers.

AND you can't have it both ways, worrying about legacy hardware and advancing the line, YES today's phones will be come just phones of yesterday, there value is diminished based on new offerings and thus will see price drops as new offerings are released. such is the nature of technology
    01-29-11 06:18 AM
    It's great that they are coming out with an entry-level touch screen. Since it's a Curve it could be part of the pre-paid strategy which will help sales in every region of the world, including the US.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-11 08:42 AM
    What I find interesting about this device was the little OS tag line in the slide of OS6 Lite. So it looks like BB will now have a defined budget OS to go with its budget line device. I assume it will not support hotspotting, HD Video and the like.
    01-29-11 08:45 AM
    The odds are that won't be an official term on actual marketing documents when this or other devices come out, it is simply being used as shorthand to indicate it won't get all the features of os 6.1 such as some of the things you mention, just like the way older iphones still get the same version number despite missing some of the new features.
    01-29-11 09:03 AM
    The Curve has a positive name brand recognition. It's the entry level Blackberry workhouse, and RIM's best seller. Curve 83XX were the hottest selling smartphone a couple years ago. So I think Curve with a keyboard and touch Curve is a good marketing strategy for Entry level. Maybe they'll simplify the whole line naming and call the new Bold Touch just Bold, and the Monaco the Bold Touch for High end. Torch, Style and Pearl would then be left as niche devices.
    01-29-11 10:51 AM
    The Curve has a positive name brand recognition. It's the entry level Blackberry workhouse, and RIM's best seller. Curve 83XX were the hottest selling smartphone a couple years ago. So I think Curve with a keyboard and touch Curve is a good marketing strategy for Entry level. Maybe they'll simplify the whole line naming and call the new Bold Touch just Bold, and the Monaco the Bold Touch for High end. Torch, Style and Pearl would then be left as niche devices.
    Well, if the those last 3 are a Niche, what is the Tour???

01-29-11 10:55 AM
    Well, if the those last 3 are a Niche, what is the Tour???

Tour was basically the first CDMA Bold, they just called it Tour. Then the Tour was so bad quality and trackball wise they made the followup the Bold name because the Tour name is tainted like Storm.
    01-29-11 11:01 AM
    I thought the other ones in the lineup like Dakota and Montana were pretty sweet when I heard about them.

But the second I saw the first keyboard less Curve codename Malibu, I knew I would even be willing to wait past my upgrade with my outdated phone until this one comes out.
    01-29-11 04:33 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD