10-05-15 07:17 PM
39 12
tools
    Is this actually accurate, though? I honestly don't know, or if BBRY is wary of backing themselves into a corner.

I do expect to see marketing promos shortly to appear demonstrating this if BBRY means it though.
    If it's not true.... what are they doing?

I'm just really saying there has to be SOMETHING other than the Tools not Toys rehash.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-30-15 04:01 PM
    People like toys. Nothing like insulting them to get market share.

Posted via CB10
    No wonder Home Depot ditched BlackBerry.

For their customers, tools ARE toys. They just happen to get things done while hopefully bringing them great satisfaction.

To me the Priv represents finally being able to wholeheartedly recommend BlackBerry, without the need to say "unless you need ____."

I'm glad I got to use and enjoy BB10, while Android grew and improved. However our reliance on Android was never subtle,.. and honestly, the runtime made using BB10 practical as long as you were willing to jump through some hoops. So as far as I'm concerned,.. I've been using Android all this time.

This feels more like an arrival to the next logical chapter, rather than some fatalistic capitulation.

Posted via CB10
    abwan11 likes this.
    09-30-15 05:46 PM
    Well if your right and 99.9% of smartphone users just want "toys". I'd say it's pretty stupid to be marketing to the .1%....
    I didn't say that people want toys. I said that most don't know even half of what their phones can do.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 07:16 PM
    Hhhhmmm. I do everything you state including tasks syncing correctly from exchange. Not sure what you are doing or using.

With regards to the OP I can't frickn' believe BBRY dragged that one out. That will definitely turn people off including myself a diehard BBRY fan.
    I agree with this too. Can do all of this with my phone running os10 in our network. I think it's down to knowing how to work your device. My z10 blows my 5c out of the water for work use.
    09-30-15 07:23 PM
    Wow. And people used to call Mac users smug, elitist, and pretentious. Your vitriol is far worse than I've ever seen from any user of any other platform.

That attitude right there, that's why Blackberry is in its current position.
    What a load of hyperbolic BS. I'm not badmouthing anyone or anything in the name of a particular platform, so knock it off with that patronizing "that attitude right there" crap as if I'm somehow responsible for BlackBerry's failings. I personally don't care one bit what platform others choose despite my own preference for BlackBerry. I'm stating the fact that the majority of smartphone users (across all platforms) do not know that their phones can do much more than they can even imagine, and I don't blame BlackBerry for trying to raise people's consciousness. How is that hard to understand?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Captain_Hilts; 10-01-15 at 02:26 AM.
    Fidel Mercado likes this.
    09-30-15 07:33 PM
    The world is based on HOCUS-POCUS. Convincing people is all you need, you don't really have to deliver the goods. It's all just a facade. My grandfather used to tell me, " the world is made of paper, just one match will burn it down.
    Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    The world wants to be deceived. Why does it matter if it looks good, and feels good...?

;-P

  Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)  
    10-01-15 07:34 PM
    Tone it down a little, guys.
    Be kind. Phrase nicely.

Mods are watching... :-)

10-01-15 07:36 PM
    Yeah but thi time they are saying there's no compromise.

Posted via CB10
    Would that be akin to saying "leap the competition of BlackBerry PlayBook infamy?"
    10-01-15 10:51 PM
    Who has the tools?

If you are a lawyer, you can't get most major legal apps on BlackBerry.

Gannett is making all of their reporters use periscope on their company issued iphones. The rest of the media world is doing the same thing. No periscope on BlackBerry.

Then there are the medical apps. There will be even more specialized medical apps in the near future that will be IOS and maybe Android.

Some of you don't want to admit that the iPhone has quite a big toolbox. Those are just three industries I mentioned off of the top of my head. There are more.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 12:29 AM
    So Blackberry today's launches the first official images of the Priv - along with some marketing blur and in there is...

I just cannot believe it - BBRY lost that battle in 2011 - and yet here we are in 2015 and they still think telling productive people that like doctors, CEOs, businessmen, engineers etc that they are not productive with their current devices. nobody believes this anymore, nobody believed it last year.

If this is going to be the underpinning marketing message - this phone will sink without a trace.

Someone is going to pop up and say "well I'm super-productive with my bb10 for this reason" - that's great, I'm happy for you it's just nobody else gives a **** - as evidenced by recent BB10 sales.
    I dearly hope BlackBerry reads these posts. What reader says here is so dead on it's comical. I mean c'mon BlackBerry... is there any new, original thought left in Waterloo? This did die an agonizing, painful, arrogant and... oh, you know, like crushing boot to your face death years ago. Poster is so right NOBODY GIVES A **** ANYMORE! All these people you are preaching to with this lame slogan are pretty darn productive right now, doing something, anything, moving the world, making things happen and they are all doing it NOW, for YEARS with... OUT a BlackBerry! Come on! WAKE UP in Waterloo!

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    10-02-15 08:14 AM
    The thing that always baffled me about the "tools not toys" line is that it was first featured in this commercial:

This was around the same time as other BlackBerry commercials showing how people were using their phones at work and demonstrating email capabilities, etc. This commercial features two DJs showing how they can take a picture with their fans and letting everyone know what they're playing via twitter...something ALL smartphones can do. What?
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 10-02-15 at 10:48 AM. Reason: clarity
    kbz1960, TGR1, techvisor and 1 others like this.
    10-02-15 10:43 AM

This was around the same time as other commercials showing how people were using their phones at work and demonstrating email capabilities, etc. This commercial features two DJs showing how they can take a picture with their fans and letting everyone know what they're playing via twitter...something ALL smartphones can do. What?
    You see similar double-think and confusion around BBM with its sticker packs...
    10-02-15 10:45 AM
    Who has the tools?

If you are a lawyer, you can't get most major legal apps on BlackBerry.

Gannett is making all of their reporters use periscope on their company issued iphones. The rest of the media world is doing the same thing. No periscope on BlackBerry.

Then there are the medical apps. There will be even more specialized medical apps in the near future that will be IOS and maybe Android.

Some of you don't want to admit that the iPhone has quite a big toolbox. Those are just three industries I mentioned off of the top of my head. There are more.

Posted via CB10
    I have been saying this as well. This is a huge issue. Professional apps are coming out like crazy for just iOS and Android. I am a researcher at a medical school, and apps relevant to my job are not available for BB10 and are not offered by Amazon. Sideloading doesn't cut it. I don't have time anymore to tinker and hope things work. Even equipment is coming out that can be controlled by your phone or have results sent to it. Companies and journals have apps now. I will soon fall behind if I don't consider changing unfortunately. Even my employer has released a new app for campus safety in the event of an issue that of course wasn't developed for BB10. They don't even support BES for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin and kbz1960 like this.
    10-03-15 09:07 PM
    I have been saying this as well. This is a huge issue. Professional apps are coming out like crazy for just iOS and Android. I am a researcher at a medical school, and apps relevant to my job are not available for BB10 and are not offered by Amazon. Sideloading doesn't cut it. I don't have time anymore to tinker and hope things work. Even equipment is coming out that can be controlled by your phone or have results sent to it. Companies and journals have apps now. I will soon fall behind if I don't consider changing unfortunately. Even my employer has released a new app for campus safety in the event of an issue that of course wasn't developed for BB10. They don't even support BES for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    That's the unfortunate cementation of the app hegemony / duopoly... :-(

10-05-15 07:17 PM
39 12