10-05-15 07:17 PM
39 12
tools
    So Blackberry today's launches the first official images of the Priv - along with some marketing blur and in there is...

The same goes for productivity. Somewhere along the way, most smartphones evolved from tools into toys, with vendors prioritizing fun over work.
    I just cannot believe it - BBRY lost that battle in 2011 - and yet here we are in 2015 and they still think telling productive people that like doctors, CEOs, businessmen, engineers etc that they are not productive with their current devices. nobody believes this anymore, nobody believed it last year.

If this is going to be the underpinning marketing message - this phone will sink without a trace.

Someone is going to pop up and say "well I'm super-productive with my bb10 for this reason" - that's great, I'm happy for you it's just nobody else gives a **** - as evidenced by recent BB10 sales.
    09-29-15 10:20 AM
    Yeah but thi time they are saying there's no compromise.

Posted via CB10
    cgk likes this.
    09-29-15 10:23 AM
    Funny... the only smartphone that evolved from 'tools into toys' were BlackBerry's own.

Pretty sure the iPhone started as a toy (for entertainment), and has evolved into a useful work platform due to the unmatched work-related app catalog.

Same with Android. It started out as a cludgy entertainment iPhone wannabe, and it has been molded into an incredibly flexible anything (you can run servers on it).

BlackBerry on the other hand,.. went from utilitarian messaging and barebones browser,.. to... messaging and browser with only a few important work apps functioning acceptably.

Not exactly from tools to toy (because the fun part isn't there),.. Maybe more like 'from tools to a joke'.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:38 AM
    At least they are being consistent, silly but consistent. Good old RIM.
    techvisor and cgk like this.
    09-29-15 10:40 AM
    No, I applaud BB for ignoring the obvious marketing message of full access to the millions of Apps in the Google Play Store, and sticking to their "Tools not Toys" strategy that has served them so well in the past.

Oh... Wait.... (Face palm!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-29-15 10:41 AM
    Why waste time & money coming up with new marketing slogans when you can just recycle old ones?
    09-29-15 10:46 AM
    Not exactly from tools to toy (because the fun part isn't there),.. Maybe more like 'from tools to a joke'.

Posted via CB10
    Ouch.
    09-29-15 05:21 PM
    In my industry, want to know what the hottest tool is right now? Periscope. Game changer. It's not a toy, it's a serious tool and BlackBerry can't get it unless it goes to another OS.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 06:09 PM
    tools not toys...

I'm a sysadmin, my ios and android devices can all do remote management vpn pptp / IPSec / ssh / exchange syncing, blackberry 10 not only can't do most of that, the only bit it can do is exchange and notes and tasks do not sync properly with any version of the 10 os, yet sync perfectly on android and ios. No, blackberry has a long way to go before it's anything other than "waiting for it to be great"

i'm honestly glad to see them abandon the 10 OS, which many will dispute, I think it's inarguable though. It simply has too far to go to be sustainable on it's own, it's never going to get there. It's another legacy OS now that has "coming soon" functionality, just like bbos. Building on Android is their only future outside enterprise server deployments.
    09-29-15 09:11 PM
    Glad to hear BlackBerry is sticking it to their competitors with this clever slogan, and winning businesses along the way. In the meantime, I know of three large businesses in Waterloo who just dropped BlackBerry phones for iPhones the past week. Looks like people in their own backyard need a productivity tool which BlackBerry cannot provide.
    I'm so confused as to what their plan is for the next 12 months and I'm sure they don't have an idea either.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    techvisor likes this.
    09-29-15 09:20 PM
    Why waste time & money coming up with new marketing slogans when you can just recycle old ones?
    I don't think they even have a marketing department. Everyone must have been laid off.
    So, yeah, let's take a look at our marketing-archive and see what we can use from when we used to have a marketing department. lol

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    09-29-15 09:22 PM
    Remember guys..

New phone, tired old message - Tools not toys-facebook-20131011-215643.png

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    09-29-15 10:16 PM
    That may be, but this is certainly different:

Because it’s Powered By Android, PRIV will also deliver the largest choice in apps and the most secure experience possible to the widest audience. PRIV users will enjoy choice, innovation, security, privacy AND productivity. In other words, no compromises.
    Less "tools not toys", more "tools and toys".
    09-29-15 10:32 PM
    tools not toys...

I'm a sysadmin, my ios and android devices can all do remote management vpn pptp / IPSec / ssh / exchange syncing, blackberry 10 not only can't do most of that, the only bit it can do is exchange and notes and tasks do not sync properly with any version of the 10 os, yet sync perfectly on android and ios. No, blackberry has a long way to go before it's anything other than "waiting for it to be great"

i'm honestly glad to see them abandon the 10 OS, which many will dispute, I think it's inarguable though. It simply has too far to go to be sustainable on it's own, it's never going to get there. It's another legacy OS now that has "coming soon" functionality, just like bbos. Building on Android is their only future outside enterprise server deployments.
    Hhhhmmm. I do everything you state including tasks syncing correctly from exchange. Not sure what you are doing or using.

With regards to the OP I can't frickn' believe BBRY dragged that one out. That will definitely turn people off including myself a diehard BBRY fan.
    09-29-15 10:34 PM
    What tools they are with their toys.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-29-15 11:00 PM
    The world is based on HOCUS-POCUS. Convincing people is all you need, you don't really have to deliver the goods. It's all just a facade. My grandfather used to tell me, " the world is made of paper, just one match will burn it down.
    Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    chopachain likes this.
    09-30-15 07:16 AM
    So Blackberry today's launches the first official images of the Priv - along with some marketing blur and in there is...

I just cannot believe it - BBRY lost that battle in 2011 - and yet here we are in 2015 and they still think telling productive people that like doctors, CEOs, businessmen, engineers etc that they are not productive with their current devices. nobody believes this anymore, nobody believed it last year.

If this is going to be the underpinning marketing message - this phone will sink without a trace.

Someone is going to pop up and say "well I'm super-productive with my bb10 for this reason" - that's great, I'm happy for you it's just nobody else gives a **** - as evidenced by recent BB10 sales.
    Build a bridge dude. And yes, you better believe it. lol

All marketing is just brainwashing for the masses. Creating the illusion. Don't see anyone complaining about, "Apple just works", better than better lie slogan.
    09-30-15 07:56 AM
    Build a bridge dude. And yes, you better believe it. lol

All marketing is just brainwashing for the masses. Creating the illusion. Don't see anyone complaining about, "Apple just works", better than better lie slogan.

Well the reason is.. it worked. "Tools not toys" failed about three years ago. Generally if you try a marketing position and it fails and you are a struggling company on its knees taking one last desperate chance to be relevant repeating the failed marketing approach isn't sensible.
    bakron1, kbz1960, JeepBB and 5 others like this.
    09-30-15 09:03 AM
    I am convinced that this rule doesn't apply this time...
    Subscribed.

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    09-30-15 09:11 AM
    Regardless of the slogan (I don't think it's a particularly good idea to rehash it, either), the fact remains that the vast, vast majority of smartphone users are completely ignorant of 99.9% of what their phone can do because they DO see it as little more than a toy on which they can play the latest time-waster of a game, sext, and post duck-faced selfies on SNSs. They don't know what it can do because they don't care, and if they actually knew what it could do they would probably freak out and proclaim it a tool of the devil. So I don't blame BlackBerry for trying to get the message out there that technology (particularly BlackBerry phones) can be so much more, but they'll have to go about it in a smarter way that actually raises consciousness.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 09:50 AM
    The issue is all smartphones are both so saying tools not toys is ignorance.
    09-30-15 09:58 AM
    Regardless of the slogan (I don't think it's a particularly good idea to rehash it, either), the fact remains that the vast, vast majority of smartphone users are completely ignorant of 99.9% of what their phone can do because they DO see it as little more than a toy on which they can play the latest time-waster of a game, sext, and post duck-faced selfies on SNSs. They don't know what it can do because they don't care, and if they actually knew what it could do they would probably freak out and proclaim it a tool of the devil. So I don't blame BlackBerry for trying to get the message out there that technology (particularly BlackBerry phones) can be so much more, but they'll have to go about it in a smarter way that actually raises consciousness.

Posted via CB10
    Well if your right and 99.9% of smartphone users just want "toys". I'd say it's pretty stupid to be marketing to the .1%....

Of course I tend to think people general know what works for them and are in fact smarter than most here seem to think they are. Instead of wasting time and resources with a BlackBerry phone over the last several years... those people have been using devices that are toys with tools. And the business world has embraced the iPhone because it can do so much.

Anyway... going forward. the PRIV is just another Android device. If BlackBerry want's to get "cute" they need to focus on the security and forget about the tools are the toys. If it's the most secure Android device you can buy... why not just say that.
    09-30-15 10:02 AM
    People like toys. Nothing like insulting them to get market share.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 10:17 AM
    Regardless of the slogan (I don't think it's a particularly good idea to rehash it, either), the fact remains that the vast, vast majority of smartphone users are completely ignorant of 99.9% of what their phone can do because they DO see it as little more than a toy on which they can play the latest time-waster of a game, sext, and post duck-faced selfies on SNSs. They don't know what it can do because they don't care, and if they actually knew what it could do they would probably freak out and proclaim it a tool of the devil.
    Wow. And people used to call Mac users smug, elitist, and pretentious. Your vitriol is far worse than I've ever seen from any user of any other platform.

That attitude right there, that's why Blackberry is in its current position.
    09-30-15 11:54 AM
    If it's the most secure Android device you can buy... why not just say that.
    Is this actually accurate, though? I honestly don't know, or if BBRY is wary of backing themselves into a corner.

I do expect to see marketing promos shortly to appear demonstrating this if BBRY means it though.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-30-15 03:43 PM
39 12