70 123
tools
    Thank, Enjoyed....!
    03-05-15 05:07 PM
    My Passport is quite sexy

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    03-05-15 05:17 PM
    Huh?
    99.9% of smartphone users buy all touch by now.
    Most of the phones sold in the "developed" world, are higher mid-tier to flagship phones.

There is no question if the decision to not launch a flagship touch device was incredibly stupid.
    There is also no debate about consumer buying preferences or focus groups.
    Everyone buys full touch. Emerging markets buy cheaper phones, with a new trend showing that they start to buy from local manufacturers more. While "developed" countries buy full touch, from basically everyone, as long as the phones are better than the midrange (economic constraints aren't a major issue, because of the way phone contracts and subsidies work "here").

It's pretty simple, to be honest:
    Neither did John Chen listen to his customers, nor to potential customers, with the exception of the Leap. The Leap is definitely an enterprise fleet phone with bulk purchasing discounts. Everything else though, has absolutely nothing to do with buyer preferences.
    Sliders are even less liked than keyboard phones... And "Nobody" likes those already.
    Soooo, you criticize BB for "not listening to their customers" for neglecting the full-touch market, and then you dismiss their new full-touch model as an "enterprise fleet phone".

The Leap is an affordable full-touch BlackBerry. You yourself said 99.9% of users were buying full-touch phones. Consider as well that the vast majority of buyers are getting something cheaper than a flagship model, too.

Flagships are great to stimulate user interest, and they have high margins, but they don't grow the user base very much. THAT is what the Leap is intended for. I don't understand why people see this as a problem.

With literally every new BB10 model that's been released, there's been some segment of the fanbase that's been unhappy. That's actually okay, because no phone is intended to please everyone.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-05-15 05:27 PM
    Sure. And BlackBerry had to write down a billion dollars worth of the one that they launched with in 2013. Not sure why people have a hard time with this ...

People assume "Chen hates touch screens".

When he joined, had more than enough in the warehouse to get rid of, and his predecessor just launched another model. Still, he launched the Z3, just announced the leap.

And while 99% of smartphone users are touch screen users, 99% of BlackBerry users are not. They need to launch both (and have) ... plain and simple.
    Oh you mean the phone that launched with beta software and year old specs at flagship pricing? Or the second flagship phone they launched again with lower specs at flagship pricing and while the for sale sign was up?

The only thing we know for sure is that BlackBerry has botched both all touch device launches, just like they botched the PlayBook launch.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:59 PM
    Oh you mean the phone that launched with beta software and year old specs at flagship pricing? Or the second flagship phone they launched again with lower specs at flagship pricing and while the for sale sign was up?
    Valid points, but also John Chen's issue to clean up. Thorsten had the inventory glut. Thorsten launched the Z30. Thorsten launched BlackBerry 10 and Thorsten put the for sale sign up.

So Chen took the sale sign down, and new devices were keyboard based because a) he had a glut of Thorsten's Z10s to get rid of and b) a brand new Z30 that Thorsten had just launched before he arrived.

The only thing we know for sure is that BlackBerry has botched both all touch device launches, just like they botched the PlayBook launch.
    Sure. But I wasn't talking about that. Just that I think people misconstrue BlackBerry focusing on keyboard devices under Chen purely as "Chen hating touch screens". I think there are some other factors at play here, which I've listed above.

I too think he needs a good upper end touch screen. The fact that he didn't have one meant I went from Z10 to iPhone 6. But I also think it's not a binary thing for him. Because even if 99% of the world buys Touchscreens, 99% of BlackBerry customers do not. The trends say that he needs a touch screen. But his userbase also says he needs physical keyboards as well. To me, it's not one or the other.
    03-05-15 09:35 PM
    Valid points, but also John Chen's issue to clean up. Thorsten had the inventory glut. Thorsten launched the Z30. Thorsten launched BlackBerry 10 and Thorsten put the for sale sign up.

So Chen took the sale sign down, and new devices were keyboard based because a) he had a glut of Thorsten's Z10s to get rid of and b) a brand new Z30 that Thorsten had just launched before he arrived.

Sure. But I wasn't talking about that. Just that I think people misconstrue BlackBerry focusing on keyboard devices under Chen purely as "Chen hating touch screens". I think there are some other factors at play here, which I've listed above.

I too think he needs a good upper end touch screen. The fact that he didn't have one meant I went from Z10 to iPhone 6. But I also think it's not a binary thing for him. Because even if 99% of the world buys Touchscreens, 99% of BlackBerry customers do not. The trends say that he needs a touch screen. But his userbase also says he needs physical keyboards as well. To me, it's not one or the other.
    Couldn't agree more

Proud to be Indonesian with BlackBerry Passport
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-05-15 09:42 PM
    How can you say he isn't listening to the community? All we do here is b-tch about wanting a slider phone and he is doing it!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-05-15 09:47 PM
    How can you say he isn't listening to the community? All we do here is b-tch about wanting a slider phone and he is doing it!
    I don't recall many people here saying they miss their Torch. Lol
    MarsupilamiX and kevets like this.
    03-05-15 09:53 PM
    A lot of people seem to not like JC when he is in the media, but I do. He comes over as sincere. I hope he succeeds with this device.
    I like his persona a great deal. Minus the few missteps (app neutrality LOL), I think he's been exceptionally great.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 03-05-15 at 11:41 PM.
    JeepBB and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-05-15 11:13 PM
    I do :P
    Not missing BBOS though...
    Or the 3.2 inch display.
    JeepBB and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-06-15 06:53 AM
    Those were some good questions. One of the problems for BlackBerry is that the line between consumer and enterprise is remarkably thin. I feel like that distinction is getting blurred more and more every day.

Posted via CB10
    Agree completely.

Most of my colleagues use the same phone for work and personal and they all seem to choose their phone based on which is best for personal with little regard as to how good it is for work.

Z10 via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-07-15 11:35 AM
    If he has an iPhone, why does he need a BlackBerry?
    Well, for starters, how about, "because typing on an iPhone absolutely blows compared to a PKB?"

How about, "because the Hub blows away all stupid communication management tools out there?"

Q10/10.3.1.821
    03-07-15 11:56 AM
    Well, for starters, how about, "because typing on an iPhone absolutely blows compared to a PKB?"

How about, "because the Hub blows away all stupid communication management tools out there?"

Q10/10.3.1.821
    He should just make a high end all touch BlackBerry 10 Device and then he would have the best VKB implementation available and only have to carry one device. He would be able to type faster on the VKB BlackBerry than a PKB model too.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 12:31 PM
    while 99% of smartphone users are touch screen users, 99% of BlackBerry users are not. They need to launch both (and have) ... plain and simple.
    and that is excatly why BBRY is in the state it is now...failure to move ahead or innovate, held back by their own users because people are scared of advancements in technology. Great interview tho all the same, but ignoring the wants and needs of 99.06% of the world isn't helping his cause.
    03-07-15 01:01 PM
    He would be able to type faster on the VKB BlackBerry than a PKB model too.
    For some of us, typing is not just about speed, not just about accuracy. It's about properly engaging the sense of touch. No VKB today can do that. Just ask anyone who has used haptic feedback on a touchscreen. It blows.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    03-07-15 04:36 PM
    Hahaha!!!...."is it sexy"....Well considering that a blue and bronze Classic will soon be released, I guess John Chen does know how to be sexy...

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    03-07-15 05:18 PM
    That was a bad answer by JC. Sexy is important. Whether at work, the bar, or college campus sexy is important. People are genuinely conscious about their phone. They may not say it, but they are. People think it's weird or strange for those of us with BlackBerry. We're proud of them. If they were sexy, we would be even more confident laying them on the table at the bar, office, caf, library. You get the point. For Steve Jobs, sexy was an import selling point. Not sex, but sexy. A sexy contemporary sophisticated design.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-07-15 05:57 PM
    That was a bad answer by JC. Sexy is important.
    Actually I cringed when he was trying to sell the "copy and paste" functionality.
    03-07-15 11:33 PM
    For some of us, typing is not just about speed, not just about accuracy. It's about properly engaging the sense of touch. No VKB today can do that. Just ask anyone who has used haptic feedback on a touchscreen. It blows.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    I'd use your earlier qualifier ("for some of us").

Swype allows me to be quite accurate on a vkb.
    03-08-15 12:30 AM
    I'd use your earlier qualifier ("for some of us").

Swype allows me to be quite accurate on a vkb.
    Absolutely. But, with a VKB, you have alternative platforms. With a PKB, what else is there?

And I was saying that speed and accuracy are not enough. I'm also quite fast on swype. As technology improves accuracy will improve too. But, by its very nature, a homogeneous slab is less enjoyable to type on from a purely tactile point of view.

It's like reading a real book versus reading on Kindle. Content is the same, but on a kindle you can't touch the texture of the pages, you can't smell the scent of the binding glue, you can't hear the organic crackle of the pages. All these matter. It is as if, with the improvement in technology, we are experiencing the world with fewer senses. And we lose something because of this, IMO.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    03-08-15 04:07 AM
    Absolutely. But, with a VKB, you have alternative platforms. With a PKB, what else is there?

And I was saying that speed and accuracy are not enough. I'm also quite fast on swype. As technology improves accuracy will improve too. But, by its very nature, a homogeneous slab is less enjoyable to type on from a purely tactile point of view.

It's like reading a real book versus reading on Kindle. Content is the same, but on a kindle you can't touch the texture of the pages, you can't smell the scent of the binding glue, you can't hear the organic crackle of the pages. All these matter. It is as if, with the improvement in technology, we are experiencing the world with fewer senses. And we lose something because of this, IMO.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    Fair points.
    03-08-15 09:09 AM
    and that is excatly why BBRY is in the state it is now...failure to move ahead or innovate, held back by their own users because people are scared of advancements in technology. Great interview tho all the same, but ignoring the wants and needs of 99.06% of the world isn't helping his cause.
    Here's the thing. I don't think they did.

What was the first BlackBerry 10 device released? Which had the most distribution? The most marketing behind it?

The Z10

It tanked and resulted in a billion dollar inventory write down that took almost two years to clean up.

And it wasn't the first touch screen they did ... the Torch 9850, Storm 2, Storm 1 and Touch Curve all preceeded it. Nor was it the last - the Z3, Z30 and now leap are all following it.

Yeah, you could argue they should have pushed for high end devices more (and I'd concede this point a bit) but I don't think that's the real issue.

The keyboard is one of BlackBerry's differentiators in a sea of touch screens. People forsake the ecosystem (the real problem they have) because they happen to like touching on keyboards when they buy a BlackBerry.

Even if BlackBerry put out a super powered touch screen device and sold it for $200, I still think they'd have a hard time moving it because new buyers wouldn't see the ecosystem; and old buyers wouldn't have the keyboard.

So then the question becomes, how does BlackBerry survive? The approach Chen seems to be taking is to try and at least get hardware profitable by careful niche products sold to regulated industries that value security, messaging, keyboards and manageability (which they are good at); while building out the software and services business to generate profits over time.

Will it work? It's up for debate. The "everything is awful crowd" that comes here will tell you they might as well declare bankruptcy now and sell their patents to Apple or Google. I think they've got a shot at succeeding, but it will be a very different company from even when the Z10 launched.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-08-15 10:32 AM
    Never had the Torch, but I know there are some out there that like the form factor. I just hope it works!
    03-09-15 12:50 PM
    Agree completely.

Most of my colleagues use the same phone for work and personal and they all seem to choose their phone based on which is best for personal with little regard as to how good it is for work.

Z10 via CB10
    Yeah, why wouldn't you, if someone else is paying you for your time.... ?
    8-o

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    03-09-15 06:19 PM
    Best selling at full price, or at $199 and major loss? There's a major difference to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    And a major difference to me as well Bought 3 @$199. Great value. Great phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 12:13 AM
70 123