11-21-12 01:46 PM
142 12345 ...
tools
    Everyone just relax. The design as shown is par for the course. Its a design that best gives it a shot at success. They don't need some radical design that would turn off as many potential buyers as it would attract. They needed something that was familiar and not a far departure from the very devices that they would have people switch from. Non Blackberry folks have become accustomed to this shape and design so what RIM did was focus more on the UI and and let the software be the difference maker. God willing, when they start to gain back market share, then they can start going a little "artsy?" with the future designs. Remember, this is the phone that is supposed to catch mainstream eyes and have a BB software experience that will re-invigorate RIM's base.
    In other words...they are continuing their build of boring looking phones. Flame all you want, but it was this philosophy that got them in the position in the first place. The icons are hideous, the phone looks like a $10 slab of plastic. Right or wrong, people want a phone that stands out...this phone just doesn't. I hate Apple, but the iPhone has always looked like a piece of art compared to most phones. Look at the HTC One X...beautiful and very high quality. There is a definite correlation between a phones look and it's popularity...not saying I necessarily agree with this, but it's simple truth. BB has refused to listen to the market and its customers for years, and by the looks of it they are continuing down the same path, only with an all touch phone.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
    10-15-12 08:21 AM
    In other words...they are continuing their build of boring looking phones. Flame all you want, but it was this philosophy that got them in the position in the first place. The icons are hideous, the phone looks like a $10 slab of plastic. Right or wrong, people want a phone that stands out...this phone just doesn't. I hate Apple, but the iPhone has always looked like a piece of art compared to most phones. Look at the HTC One X...beautiful and very high quality. There is a definite correlation between a phones look and it's popularity...not saying I necessarily agree with this, but it's simple truth. BB has refused to listen to the market and its customers for years, and by the looks of it they are continuing down the same path, only with an all touch phone.

i don't agree with you at all , besides some of the older berries and the 8500 curves RIM has produced some nice lookign phones, the tour curve 8900 bold 9000 9700 9790 (sexy) and 9900 the 9850 even the storm had a nice look to it, not really plain at all.
    the iPhones style has never really appealed to me and prob never will it tries to hard to look flashy and personally i think it fails. so to sum it up we all have different preferances on styling and to say RIM only releases bland or boring looking devices is not true at all atleast not to some while others are just looking for bling.

another not that is not the philosophy that got them in the position they are most users cover their phones with skins and shells anyway, not adapting to the change in market and what peopel are looking for in a device is and rushing release to compete with other manufactures, while Apple focused on simplicity, apps and reliability, and while Android focused on raw power and specs to set devices apart, RIM figured they can get away with business users and their BIS/BES services
    wikison and Jake Storm like this.
    10-15-12 09:04 AM
    Sure did watched jumped on PB thru hdmi on big screen
    10-15-12 09:23 AM
    This is LONDON. I know whose hands and where the picture was taken, heeeee.
    It looks like it was taken last month by an iPhone user. Too bad they didn't have location services on. Here is the exif on the hand with three phones shot.

Camera Maker: Apple
    Camera Model: iPhone 4
    Image Date: 2012-09-28 11:32:37 (no TZ)
    Focal Length: 3.9mm
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Exposure Time: 0.059 s (1/17)
    ISO equiv: 500
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: program (Auto)
    White Balance: Auto
    Flash Fired: No
    Orientation: Normal
    Color Space: sRGB
    GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
    Software: 5.1.1
    Torreto likes this.
    10-15-12 09:23 AM
    Wow, those icons are ugly! Looks like Touchwiz's ******** cousin...
    10-15-12 09:31 AM
    I want to see the one with the keyboard! That one makes me drool!
    10-15-12 09:49 AM
    RIM wants people to spend time on the multitasking screen and the hub and not on the app list...so they made the app list less attractive. Hehehe
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    10-15-12 09:56 AM
    I just want PlayBook style icons and you got me as a consumer!
    10-15-12 10:04 AM
    First impression is everything and I have to say that UI looks boring...like iPhone boring. Not hating, just being honest. When/if people pick it up, that is going to be the standard...what does the UI look like. It may have all kinds of bells and whistles, but if you have to read a 30 page owners manual to figure out what those bells and whistles are, that's not a good thing. Android and iOS are too ingrained in the public right now for there to be a breakthrough OS. Unfortunately I see this phone going the route of the Playbook/Palm Pre and Blackberry going the route of Palm.

Yes i agree first impression is everything and is a key factor to get people to leave their old device and jump on the blackberry devices. It need to make people say wow this is the new blackberry!
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    10-15-12 10:07 AM
    Is the rubberized backing the type that grabs the pocket on the way in and out and attracts lots of lint, or is it not so bad that way?
    10-15-12 10:24 AM
    Is the rubberized backing the type that grabs the pocket on the way in and out and attracts lots of lint, or is it not so bad that way?
    its like the playbook
    10-15-12 10:29 AM
    Please RIM, take my money! I want this now!!!!!

(ok, kidding, finish the software first...but I still want it now!!!)
    00stryder likes this.
    10-15-12 10:40 AM
    Yeah I gathered that, sorry I didn't explain more clearly, I don't have a playbook so I didn't know . . .
    10-15-12 10:41 AM
    I can only hope they downgraded the icons from the PlayBook to remind themselves that they need to be replaced with some really sexy ones before launch. First impressions are everything and what they have right now looks so Windows 3.1....
    10-15-12 10:45 AM
    Yeah I gathered that, sorry I didn't explain more clearly, I don't have a playbook so I didn't know . . .
    I don't think the rubberized back grabs the lint/dust, but honestly I keep my PB in the case where the back is covered 99% of the time so if somebody can clearly answer this that would be great.

Frankly, I think the rubberized back is a great idea as I will probably keep my BB10 "naked" with just a Seidio holster like I do with my current BB.
    10-15-12 10:47 AM
    I don't think the rubberized back grabs the lint/dust, but honestly I keep my PB in the case where the back is covered 99% of the time so if somebody can clearly answer this that would be great.

Frankly, I think the rubberized back is a great idea as I will probably keep my BB10 "naked" with just a Seidio holster like I do with my current BB.
    nope it doesn't pick up lint or stick to things, its more liek a rubberish textured plastic, its sort of softish feelign but hard
    revtech and Mike1117 like this.
    10-15-12 11:20 AM
    BB london looks hideous...
    Why are there two divisions between the screen on the top and bottom, and the angles are not very aesthetically appealing... wtf...
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-15-12 11:41 AM
    another moron doesn't blur out the Pin number on the device. Hope leaking these images was worth getting fired for!
    10-15-12 11:49 AM
    another moron doesn't blur out the Pin number on the device. Hope leaking these images was worth getting fired for!
    I don't think they mind these "leaks". There seem to be a ton of them out there (the guy is holding THREE in his hand). I suspect the final release version will hold some "surprises" for us. To me, the top/bottom looks very unfinished, almost like a placeholder. I've heard some I trust comment on this board that what we're seeing really is just to get carriers on board and isn't the final "look" of the phone.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-15-12 11:53 AM
    The Icons really look SAD, i hope they come up with something better by the launch.
    10-15-12 11:54 AM
    I agree the icons are ugly, however unless BB decides not allow putting themes on the BB10 then it doesn't matter. Maybe I will have to look at them for a week before a new theme is dropped to replace it. BB needs to hurry up and release the phone. The hollidays are just around the corner. It would be great to get one under the tree so I can open it erarly.
    10-15-12 11:55 AM
    I agree the icons are ugly, however unless BB decides not allow putting themes on the BB10 then it doesn't matter. Maybe I will have to look at them for a week before a new theme is dropped to replace it. BB needs to hurry up and release the phone. The hollidays are just around the corner. It would be great to get one under the tree so I can open it erarly.
    They have decided that. check the homepage for news on that topic from a few days ago.
    10-15-12 11:57 AM
    Okay IMO there is no way the folkS at RIM like these icons for a final release. We will see something different I'm sure.

Sent from my BlackBerry by choice using Tapatalk
    10-15-12 11:58 AM
    "I don't think they mind these "leaks"."

not true, they mind very much indeed. the first guy that leaked the blurry one sitting on a desk with the PIN not blurred out was fired and was not a RIM employee.
    RIM wants to control the information they are releasing so that there are surprises for us fans, leaks and pictures like this hurt them doing that.Will also hurt the excitement around the announcement(when its made). Just look at the iPhone 5 announcement, who thought that was exciting? no one, and why, because everyone knew each bit of info weeks before the announcement.

For people to even receive these devices at this point, an NDA would have had to be signed, and taking pictures of the device and posting it to the internet is not legal under the terms of an NDA.

do I know this wasn't an actual RIM leak, no, of course not, but I am guessing it wasn't and those PIN numbers can be tracked.

I also don't think the icons are the finished product but who knows, and honestly who cares. its the functionality of the device that excites me. the look of the icons is the last thing to actually worry about LOL
    10-15-12 12:07 PM
    Phone is ugly tbh, I'm curious to see what the qwerty will be like functionally
    10-15-12 12:09 PM
142 12345 ...