Just read this article someone sent me at work this morning where Tim Cook went to Cisco's Sales Conference in Vegas for this announcement.

Why Tim Cook just crashed Cisco's party - Business Insider

Apparently Cisco, which dominates in Enterprise and Federal networks, is going to be adding in optimizations in their hardware and software to:
    As Cisco put it in the press release, the company will "create a fast lane for iOS business users by optimizing Cisco networks for iOS devices and apps, integrating iPhone with Cisco enterprise environments and providing unique collaboration on iPhone and iPad."
    I can tell you from personal experience with Cisco that they were already favoring iOS applications after the Cius failed, but offering this type of preferential integration, combined with Cisco's dominance in the enterprise network space, will give Apple a huge leg up in business and federal mobililty sales. I think that with iOS9 that Apple is going to start pushing heavily into the the business and federal space. They have obtained a lot of business in that space already with little to no effort.

I wonder if BlackBerry now getting licensing from Cisco, which clearly seemed like a strongarm tactic from BlackBerry, caused Cisco to just work to try to eliminate them from the market all together. Of course Cisco will still support Android, so the BlackBerry Android device will still have access to the Android Cisco applications, but I can clearly seeing Cisco's massive, 20,000+ member sales teams, which are damn good at selling, going into their business and government customers and pushing iPhones and iPads for great integration with all their existing Cisco equipment. My Cisco sales engineers always tell me BlackBerry is too small or dead every time I ask them about why they are not supporting the largest mobile platform in the Federal space. I also wonder if we'll see something like an iOS powered Cisco Desk Phone in this space, or if Cisco will be content with just telling its customers to use iPad and iPhones for all their communications.

Anyone else who has familiarity with Cisco in the Federal and Enterprise space think this will be very bad for BlackBerry like I do?
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-03-15 09:16 AM
    Just read this article someone sent me at work this morning where Tim Cook went to Cisco's Sales Conference in Vegas for this announcement.

Why Tim Cook just crashed Cisco's party - Business Insider

Apparently Cisco, which dominates in Enterprise and Federal networks, is going to be adding in optimizations in their hardware and software to:

I can tell you from personal experience with Cisco that they were already favoring iOS applications after the Cius failed, but offering this type of preferential integration, combined with Cisco's dominance in the enterprise network space, will give Apple a huge leg up in business and federal mobililty sales. I think that with iOS9 that Apple is going to start pushing heavily into the the business and federal space. They have obtained a lot of business in that space already with little to no effort.

I wonder if BlackBerry now getting licensing from Cisco, which clearly seemed like a strongarm tactic from BlackBerry, caused Cisco to just work to try to eliminate them from the market all together. Of course Cisco will still support Android, so the BlackBerry Android device will still have access to the Android Cisco applications, but I can clearly seeing Cisco's massive, 20,000+ member sales teams, which are damn good at selling, going into their business and government customers and pushing iPhones and iPads for great integration with all their existing Cisco equipment. My Cisco sales engineers always tell me BlackBerry is too small or dead every time I ask them about why they are not supporting the largest mobile platform in the Federal space. I also wonder if we'll see something like an iOS powered Cisco Desk Phone in this space, or if Cisco will be content with just telling its customers to use iPad and iPhones for all their communications.

Anyone else who has familiarity with Cisco in the Federal and Enterprise space think this will be very bad for BlackBerry like I do?
    iOS is a stable platform - software, updates, Apps and form factors.

Only Samsung come close to offering that level of stability... but even they don't provide the regular updates for all devices at one time, add in Carrier delays for updates and you could have several version of Android being used by one enterprise customer.

BlackBerry.... I think their "footprint" in enterprise has faded to only a few niches in this market. As the BlackBerry Android devices doesn't exist... that means it doesn't exist. Once it is out, it would need to be evaluated and tested.... which takes time. But one device... does not make a platform.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-03-15 09:59 AM
    Wow, the two most negative BlackBerry commentators b2b in one thread. Keep it coming!

Posted via CB10
    toneytone likes this.
    09-03-15 10:03 AM
    Wow, the two most negative BlackBerry commentators b2b in one thread. Keep it coming!

Posted via CB10
    OK... why would you suggest that Cisco use BlackBerry over the iOS platform?
    techvisor likes this.
    09-03-15 10:07 AM
    No government in the right mind would choose iOS after the security scandals over the past years
    It's a no brainer, not to mention cisco is already embedded into BB10, unlike other OS that require app install such as anyconnect

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 10:11 AM
    No government in the right mind would choose iOS after the security scandals over the past years
    It's a no brainer, not to mention cisco is already embedded into BB10, unlike other OS that require app install such as anyconnect

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps you can explain Cisco being embedded into BB10. If you are referring to the VPN, it is pretty poor and has issues still (see I actually use AnyConnect and manage the gateway). I can't use an RSA soft token easily as once you start the VPN connection process it won't let you minimize the screen to go out to your soft token app to pull the code for authentication. The only router I know of that uses QNX is the CRS1, which isn't an Enterprise box. They are migrating their enterprise boxes over to IOS-XE (Linux based) and the Nexus OS.

Also there are many US Government agencies that have started using Apple devices.

Posted via Z30
    techvisor and Poirots Progeny like this.
    09-03-15 10:27 AM
    Perhaps you can explain Cisco being embedded into BB10. If you are referring to the VPN, it is pretty poor and has issues still (see I actually use AnyConnect and manage the gateway). I can't use an RSA soft token easily as once you start the VPN connection process it won't let you minimize the screen to go out to your soft token app to pull the code for authentication. The only router I know of that uses QNX is the CRS1, which isn't an Enterprise box. They are migrating their enterprise boxes over to IOS-XE (Linux based) and the Nexus OS.

Also there are many US Government agencies that have started using Apple devices.

Posted via Z30
    Too be honest, most of those agencies have been using Apple devices so long.... they are probably looking at upgrading devices at this point. Think it was back in 2012 that many like FBI, ICE, NOAA made the switch from BlackBerry to Apple. I know the iPad is a big reason that iPhones have been accepted into enterprise and even into the DoD...

Sadly I've only hear of the White House and State Department actually using BB10 devices.... DoD has approved them, but I haven't heard of any purchases.

And Apple isn't stopping with just the iPhone and the iPad....Pentagon teams up with Apple, Boeing to develop wearable tech | Reuters
    techvisor likes this.
    09-03-15 10:54 AM
    Just another nail in Blackberry's coffin.

So sad.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    09-03-15 11:25 AM
    Too be honest, most of those agencies have been using Apple devices so long.... they are probably looking at upgrading devices at this point. Think it was back in 2012 that many like FBI, ICE, NOAA made the switch from BlackBerry to Apple. I know the iPad is a big reason that iPhones have been accepted into enterprise and even into the DoD...

Sadly I've only hear of the White House and State Department actually using BB10 devices.... DoD has approved them, but I haven't heard of any purchases.

And Apple isn't stopping with just the iPhone and the iPad....Pentagon teams up with Apple, Boeing to develop wearable tech | Reuters
    Not sure about your sources, but 16 of the G20, and all of the G7 use BlackBerries
    As for the guy who has issues with the native VPN cisco options, I'm not even in enterprise and it works perfectly with my academic network
    Anyconnect actually is more complicated to use if your system is set up correctly. Who says you need a QNX router >_<
    09-03-15 11:31 AM
    Not sure about your sources, but 16 of the G20, and all of the G7 use BlackBerries
    As for the guy who has issues with the native VPN cisco options, I'm not even in enterprise and it works perfectly with my academic network
    Anyconnect actually is more complicated to use if your system is set up correctly. Who says you need a QNX router >_<
    My source... try Google "us agencies using blackberry"

As for the G20 and G7... how many do they use? Are they dedicated to the BlackBerry platform only? Or did they buy a dozen for testing? I have seen the statements from BlackBerry..... do you actually take the words coming out of a BlackBerry's CEO month at face value??????

The simple fact is BlackBerry does release numbers on device sales.... and in two years time we might have 12 million active users (think it is far less than that with attrition and the number of collectors - maybe 8 million?).

So BB10 doesn't sell enough to support development of a custom OS for a $600 smartphones. Now if there is a REAL need that can't be meet by any other OS out there. Maybe BlackBerry will bring back BB10 development without the Android Runtime, add in Secusmart and sell them for $2000, and have a profitable division that can function on its own. But more likely it will be an Android Secusmart phone.... like the tablet.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-03-15 12:04 PM
    Yeah well when you are working in a Government network you need a little more security and certifications than an academic network. And I didn't say you needed a QNX router to use BB10, I'm simply stating the only level of deep Cisco BlackBerry integration is a single, non-enterprise product. The Anyconnect application for BB10 just adds some functionality into the native VPN built into BB10, it doesn't even add an app to the launcher. It works, but isn't elegant and has issues with a more secure two factor authentication setup.

Posted via Z30
    techvisor likes this.
    09-03-15 12:07 PM
    Oh we could add a few more to this list bro.....but well put.
    09-03-15 12:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh we could add a few more to this list bro.....but well put.
    09-03-15 12:12 PM
    This is a very vague deal. I thought Cisco just signed a cross licensing deal with blackberry patents about two months ago. Maybe that's why Apple can now come on board. Looks like Apple is setting itself up to pay royalties to blackberry

Don't get me wrong, I love what Apple has done in the last ten years and how they changed the world, but doesn't cozing up to boring corporate entities go against its mission statement.

Posted via CB10
    missing_K-W likes this.
    09-03-15 05:17 PM
    This is a very vague deal. I thought Cisco just signed a cross licensing deal with blackberry patents about two months ago. Maybe that's why Apple can now come on board. Looks like Apple is setting itself up to pay royalties to blackberry

Don't get me wrong, I love what Apple has done in the last ten years and how they changed the world, but doesn't cozing up to boring corporate entities go against its mission statement.

Posted via CB10
    Company like Cisco make "deals" all the time.... their "deal" with BlackBerry for those patents was most likely all that deal was.

Apple IS the dominate player in the US Business world these days.... not necessarily because it it better than any other OS. Just simply because it is STABLE. Hardware changes are slow and predictable, Software updates are fast and cover most all hardware at once, they have both phones and tablets, and are the most supported software platform behind Windows. And they are a finically sound company.

Cisco mission statement is to make money... and their focus is enterprise. Only makes sense to partner with other platforms that are seeing growth in enterprise.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-04-15 04:03 PM
    Company like Cisco make "deals" all the time.... their "deal" with BlackBerry for those patents was most likely all that deal was.

Apple IS the dominate player in the US Business world these days.... not necessarily because it it better than any other OS. Just simply because it is STABLE. Hardware changes are slow and predictable, Software updates are fast and cover most all hardware at once, they have both phones and tablets, and are the most supported software platform behind Windows. And they are a finically sound company.

Cisco mission statement is to make money... and their focus is enterprise. Only makes sense to partner with other platforms that are seeing growth in enterprise.
    But I thought Apple's mission statement was to stay away from corporate evil ?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 09:05 PM
    But I thought Apple's mission statement was to stay away from corporate evil ?

Posted via CB10
    Apple is answerable to share holders. Growth is saturating for them. Government and Enterprise presents a growth opportunity for them.

Posted via Z30
    09-04-15 09:25 PM
    Apple - iOS
    Cisco - IOS

Match made..?

;-)

  Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...  
    techvisor likes this.
    09-05-15 04:11 AM
    Apple is answerable to share holders. Growth is saturating for them. Government and Enterprise presents a growth opportunity for them.

Posted via Z30
    But their marketing says they are the good guys who don't strive for profit.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 12:47 PM
    But their marketing says they are the good guys who don't strive for profit.
    Really? Point to any Apple marketing or advertising that states Apple isn't interested in making a profit.
    09-06-15 02:54 PM
    Really? Point to any Apple marketing or advertising that states Apple isn't interested in making a profit.
    Here's a recent one named "Apple Perspective"

Doesn't fit with any old stuffy Cisco or any other enterprise for that matter.
    09-06-15 06:16 PM

So the thing is there are various roles in these agencies you are discussing. Within these roles comes a different level of security needs. If an employee merely has a "work" phone for "work" purposes and there is no transmittal of confidential or secretive data, it doesn't matter what device they use. Take every Federal Agency and add up all their employees and maybe 6-8% need secure access through mobile phone channels. The rise in iPhone usage secure by MDM's such as MobileIron and backed by VPN's like Junos Pulse is comical. These employees do not have access to anything of substance on their phones.

Posted with my Graphite Porsche P'9983
    09-06-15 06:26 PM
    Here's a recent one named "Apple Perspective"
    And where in that video does it say, "Apple doesn't care about profit"? Nowhere.
    09-06-15 09:43 PM
    And where in that video does it say, "Apple doesn't care about profit"? Nowhere.
    What's next, Apple execs wearing suits and promoting the office job. Lol.
    Apple is an artist driven company whos main vision is the betterment of humanity and thinking different. They rebel against any normal boxed-in corporate livelihood. Why would they support Cisco?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 12:17 AM