01-30-11 09:49 AM
70 123
tools
    ughhhhhh...............i want to too...............i just don't feel like spendin 400 (1 year contract Monaco) when QNX could possibly come early next year. but edge is terrible. im hoping the monaco is possibly a device thats headed to GSM carriers as well because if T-mobile gets it, i'll unlock it and use it on Cincinnati Bell's 3G which they claim is 86% faster than AT&T's lol
    01-28-11 11:27 PM
    The OP never said RIM sucks or he wanted an Android. He actually said just the opposite.

Ponderous...
    He refuses to get the phone he wants because of the network it's on. That's a little silly.
    01-28-11 11:30 PM
    I'm stuck using AT&T atleast I get the Torch out of it as a trade for my Bold. Verizon and Sprint are the only other carriers here and it's cheaper to keep my Alltel contract through AT&T, I'm not switching to theirs and a capped data plan
    01-28-11 11:36 PM
    Should be just what the phone Dr. has ordered for us Curve junkies.
    01-28-11 11:59 PM
    He refuses to get the phone he wants because of the network it's on. That's a little silly.
    It's not silly if that particular network does not offer satisfactory coverage in his/her area.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    01-29-11 12:10 AM
    Heck, I am having a hard time figuring out if I will be getting the dakota which is super aweome or the torch 2. I am sure at&t will get both, but I am leaning towards the dakota 60% Torch 2 40%, I get some good money, well I'll take both.
    01-29-11 12:31 AM
    At least with these upcoming phones leaking out RIM is getting us some nice A8 Single Core processors (because the 8655 can support CDMA, GSM and HSPA+) and real app space to work with until the dual core are ready. It's not the latest and greatest, but it is a solid stable platform and should be fairly quick.

I'm wondering is now that these leaks all mention RAM, where they only used to announce Storage is it seems like something has changed in the way the OS works.
    01-29-11 11:18 AM
    How do you figure? Yea, I choose not to use AT&T for reasons on which I stated earlier. They have horrible customer service which I have experienced with home phone and Internet services. Their coverage at least in my area is ok at best. I know multiple people in my home area that have calls dropped on a regular basis. So, if that is what you call silly, then yea, I am. What's the point of having the phone that I want if I can only have good service on it part of the time. I've never had a problem out of sprint in call coverage or anything else, so that is the reason I would rather stay with a good carrier than switch for just a phone. My original point was that I just wish they offered the phone that I would prefer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-11 11:25 AM
    These threads are really getting silly.

+1

Some people would gripe if you gave them a brand new rope to hang themselves with.

01-29-11 11:26 AM
    It's not silly if that particular network does not offer satisfactory coverage in his/her area.
    That's true, but more often than not it's a matter of perception. AT&T endured a bad bit of publicity -- some deserved, some not so much -- when it wasn't quite ready for the network demands of all those millions of exclusive iPhone users. A lot of people saw that and instantly assumed it's all on AT&T. There's a lot of evidence to suggest that at least part of those problems are with the iPhone itself compounded by the increased data traffic that type of device happens to encourage; but that's all subject to debate.

I've had great luck with AT&T since they bought Cingular (though admittedly my first time around with them wasn't so good). All carriers have their weak coverage areas. Other than that, in my experience, AT&T as good as the rest of them and is not the antichrist everyone makes them out to be.
    01-29-11 12:33 PM
    That's true, but more often than not it's a matter of perception. AT&T endured a bad bit of publicity -- some deserved, some not so much -- when it wasn't quite ready for the network demands of all those millions of exclusive iPhone users. A lot of people saw that and instantly assumed it's all on AT&T. There's a lot of evidence to suggest that at least part of those problems are with the iPhone itself compounded by the increased data traffic that type of device happens to encourage; but that's all subject to debate.

I've had great luck with AT&T since they bought Cingular (though admittedly my first time around with them wasn't so good). All carriers have their weak coverage areas. Other than that, in my experience, AT&T as good as the rest of them and is not the antichrist everyone makes them out to be.
    Well, part of the blame is on the iPhone, but AT&T itself is also responsible for its network, I mean, just check out their Facebook Fan page, at least 90% of the posts there are about people complaining about the service (dropped calls, slow SMS messages, slow/no data connectivity etc) and it's just amazing...lots of different people too, not just a few trolls.

Doesn't mean they're bad everywhere though, my buddy recently got an iPhone on AT&T and he says his service is great, and we're in the Miami, FL area so it works fine here.
    01-29-11 12:54 PM
    Again, I ask:

Who wouldn't want to be able to walk into their carrier of choice and have the full range of BBs offered?

If you don't think that would be nice as a consumer, then you're either a carrier shill or just like to be contrarian...
    01-29-11 01:45 PM
    Well, part of the blame is on the iPhone, but AT&T itself is also responsible for its network, I mean, just check out their Facebook Fan page, at least 90% of the posts there are about people complaining about the service (dropped calls, slow SMS messages, slow/no data connectivity etc) and it's just amazing...lots of different people too, not just a few trolls.

Doesn't mean they're bad everywhere though, my buddy recently got an iPhone on AT&T and he says his service is great, and we're in the Miami, FL area so it works fine here.
    ever notice that lots of people complain about ATT but few do anything about it? it's primary example of Human Nature and and fantastic laboratory for examining human behavior.
    01-29-11 01:47 PM
    Again, I ask:

Who wouldn't want to be able to walk into their carrier of choice and have the full range of BBs offered?

If you don't think that would be nice as a consumer, then you're either a carrier shill or just like to be contrarian...
    I don't think it actually matters too much if there is the odd exclusive here or there since carriers tend to put a lot more advertising money behind those products provided that the majority of the range was available on every carrier e.g if every carrier in america got a new bold, storm, curve then it isn't so terrible if at&t is still the only one with torch.
    01-29-11 01:54 PM
    ever notice that lots of people complain about ATT but few do anything about it? it's primary example of Human Nature and and fantastic laboratory for examining human behavior.
    Aren't most people tied into fairly longterm contracts when they are complaining?
    01-29-11 01:55 PM

Oh, AT&T absolutely is responsible for its network's shortcomings. Either they didn't figure on the explosive popularity of the iPhone or the amount of bandwidth each average user would be eating up or a bit of both -- whatever, somebody didn't do all their homework before inking that exclusive deal. But since then, AT&T has spent millions upon millions upgrading its network (just in time, ironically, for an estimated 15% of its iPhone users to jump ship to Verizon). I also think, having dealt with both, that AT&T's customer service is much better than Verizon's.

Not saying AT&T is without issues, but I'd be very curious to know how many of those people complaining on the Facebook fan page are iPhone users. With iPhones being the hottest-selling devices last year, you know there's a lot of 'em. I also have an iPhone in the house (the wife's), and I can say without question that my Torch is consistently the more reliable of the two as far as signal strength, general connectivity and dropped calls. Same house, same locations. And I can tell you that her iPhone is not without its quirks, and were it not for the fact that I'm on the same plan with a different phone, she very well might be blaming some of those quirks on the carrier. Just my experience and another two cents.
    01-29-11 07:14 PM
    I am excited for these new phones as it is something new and RIM heading in the right direction, even if we are late to the party. IMO, they take their time to make sure they don't have a debacle like they did with the S1...so maybe pushes all phones back to make sure they are ready hardware wise...and of course software always takes time.

I can see people that have a hard time waiting every couple years if in contract or not currently happy for whatever reason. I can see more so being upset if they had bad devices and what not, but some people just need the latest and greatest and with that mind set in this world, you're gonna need some moola!

Me I don't have moola, so patience has built up, lol! And honestly besides my S1, I haven't had a problem with any other BB and my 9700 has been the best phone I have ever used and I have had quite a few phones, iPhone, Androids and a lot of dumb phones...

Hopefully the Dakota or Bold Touch comes out in summer, so they can work out some issues if it has some. That way it don't nail me come upgrade time, haha! Honestly though hoping these new devices are all solid! And hopefully they spread the love to all carriers. So tired of this exclusive crap!

01-30-11 06:35 AM
    Sounds like we all just want a Torch. I know AT&T has a pretty bad rep nationally for having a unreliable network but is it really that bad? I'm on Sprint and I'm very satisified with the network. Just would like a better device. I know the Iphone drops calls like crazy but they say blackberries hold onto signal better so maybe that will make up for the AT&T network's bad service?
    01-30-11 07:38 AM
    I don't want a torch...

01-30-11 09:47 AM
    Sounds like we all just want a Torch. I know AT&T has a pretty bad rep nationally for having a unreliable network but is it really that bad? I'm on Sprint and I'm very satisified with the network. Just would like a better device. I know the Iphone drops calls like crazy but they say blackberries hold onto signal better so maybe that will make up for the AT&T network's bad service?
    I seem to remember reading that the droprate was only about 1% worse on the iphone than other phones and realistically the areas where it gets the worst press for dropped calls such as new york are likely to be just as bad for other phones too.
    01-30-11 09:49 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD