07-31-10 02:27 PM
37 12
tools
    Seems we might be seeing some xx80 models floating around soon. Expect the Odin refresh to be a 9580 if one comes out with 512MB prior to the S3 next-gen version.

What do you think? Will the salt shaker be needed for this?
    07-27-10 03:28 PM
    Looks like OS6 is still a tad bit away IMHO.

need to up the RAM to handle the new OS....

so it looks like the older users will have two options 1) room for ROM or 2) room for Applications

and the xx8x users will get both.

looks like someone needs to come up with a legit App2SD protocol for RIM.
    07-27-10 03:35 PM
    My guess is 9570.
    07-27-10 03:52 PM
    Seems we might be seeing some xx80 models floating around soon. Expect the Odin refresh to be a 9580 if one comes out with 512MB prior to the S3 next-gen version.

What do you think? Will the salt shaker be needed for this?
    My guess is 9570.
    If it does get a new model number, 9570 would be a good guess, given the current system (with 9540 as the GSM model # to replace the 9520).
    07-27-10 03:55 PM
    Is it really that difficult (or expensive) for RIM to slap 1G (rather than 512MB) into their high-end phones? I have the same question about most manufacturers, so don't think I'm singling out RIM. It's just that they're the topic of conversation.
    Last edited by misterSelf; 07-27-10 at 11:47 PM.
    07-27-10 04:03 PM
    If it does get a new model number, 9570 would be a good guess, given the current system (with 9540 as the GSM model # to replace the 9520).
    +1 and the 'Storm3' could be 9560 - 9590 or something.
    07-27-10 04:21 PM
    Is it really that difficult (or expensive) for RIM to slap 1G (rather than 512MB) into their high-end phones? I have the same question most manufacturers, so don't think I'm singling out RIM. It's just that they're the topic of conversation.
    It would not be, but then what would they put in the next models that are coming out in 6 months?
    ; )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-10 05:02 PM
    It would not be, but then what would they put in the next models that are coming out in 6 months?
    ; )

Fo Sho! lol

There's a reason why it's call a "crack" berry. Because RIM's getting your dumb *** to keep buying the same flava crack in a different wrapper month after month. People say Apple is bad about revamping models. I'll take 1-2 year revisions compared to 6 month revisions any day.

I will say this... perhaps RIM's just biting the bullet here and flushing out all the models that won't run OS6 because frankly... well, they realized what people want now and it's a necessary evil. However, if in 6 months we start seeing OS or app advances that cause users to run out of memory with 512MB models and they have to bump them again to 1GB, I'm gonna die. lol Meh, who am I kidding here... this is RIM, of course that's going to happen. lol I fear that RIM's never going to "get it". At least now even Android manufacturers have seen the light and are at least throwing 8GB of OS/App memory at new devices. RIM should take note of that... Android is just as much a Java based OS as BBOS is. Slightly different architecture idea, but they both utilize Java for their app programming base. If Google feels like Android needs 8GB of memory for OS/App availability, RIM needs to wake the f up already. Google tried the 512MB thing... remember the Droid 1 and the Nexus and the others? Yeah, they've all be EOL'd. It's time RIM, memory talks and bs walks!
    07-27-10 11:22 PM
    Fo Sho! lol

There's a reason why it's call a "crack" berry. Because RIM's getting your dumb *** to keep buying the same flava crack in a different wrapper month after month. People say Apple is bad about revamping models. I'll take 1-2 year revisions compared to 6 month revisions any day.

I will say this... perhaps RIM's just biting the bullet here and flushing out all the models that won't run OS6 because frankly... well, they realized what people want now and it's a necessary evil. However, if in 6 months we start seeing OS or app advances that cause users to run out of memory with 512MB models and they have to bump them again to 1GB, I'm gonna die. lol Meh, who am I kidding here... this is RIM, of course that's going to happen. lol I fear that RIM's never going to "get it". At least now even Android manufacturers have seen the light and are at least throwing 8GB of OS/App memory at new devices. RIM should take note of that... Android is just as much a Java based OS as BBOS is. Slightly different architecture idea, but they both utilize Java for their app programming base. If Google feels like Android needs 8GB of memory for OS/App availability, RIM needs to wake the f up already. Google tried the 512MB thing... remember the Droid 1 and the Nexus and the others? Yeah, they've all be EOL'd. It's time RIM, memory talks and bs walks!
    And this is the quote that has convinced me to upgraded to the latest Android phone next March 2011, refresh or Storm 3 or whatever 90**...I love my S2...but man this is so true...
    07-27-10 11:55 PM
    Is it really that difficult (or expensive) for RIM to slap 1G (rather than 512MB) into their high-end phones? I have the same question about most manufacturers, so don't think I'm singling out RIM. It's just that they're the topic of conversation.
    If RIM took a different approach to how their memory is being used(ie, device memory for applications, 256/512 for OS and Runtime) then they wouldn't even need to put 1GB in their devices. An SD card and Device Memory would suffice, even on devices we have in our hands right now. It's really stupid and I really don't know if RIM gets it yet, or not.
    07-28-10 08:22 AM
    If it is true that the storm2 will not be able to run os6, than I hope that they keep pumping out better versions of os5 for us, not all the broken ones they have in the past.
    07-28-10 08:27 AM
    I don't get the whole Refresh thing. It sounds like Storm Refresh is coming out soon and then the S3 will be coming on line a couple of months later - maybe in November. It's hard to say, you keep reading different things. Anyhow, why pay $100 to upgrade to the Refresh when the S3 is right around the corner.

I just upgraded to the S2 from the S1 about 3 months ago and I'm already getting emails from my carrier telling me I'm eligible to upgrade again. Right now I'm confused on what I am going to do.
    07-28-10 09:54 AM
    Anyhow, why pay $100 to upgrade to the Refresh when the S3 is right around the corner
    The short answer to that one stems from rim's recent shameful record of delays and lack of new releases.... who knows when this "super phone" will be on the shelf. If ever.

Every time I hear a RIM rep say "you have to wait and see" when asked if they have anything coming out soon to save their collective @sses I think of politicians cornered doing something wrong and responding "no comment."

RIM: "hey consumer, are you going to hang around with your discretionary income and wait for us to actually release something competitive and fix our problems?"

Consumer: "you will just have to wait and see."

07-28-10 10:14 AM
    If RIM took a different approach to how their memory is being used(ie, device memory for applications, 256/512 for OS and Runtime) then they wouldn't even need to put 1GB in their devices. An SD card and Device Memory would suffice, even on devices we have in our hands right now. It's really stupid and I really don't know if RIM gets it yet, or not.
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Everyone who has weighed in on this
    matter says it is a matter of security and speed. News flash, I had an Audiovox
    Thera (Maestro 2032) that did this SEVEN YEARS AGO that was running Pcoket
    PC and there was no security issue and certainly no degradation in speed.

How anyone can make excuses for this "superior" OS not allowing this function
    is absolutely beyond my ability to comprehend.
    07-28-10 11:45 AM
    Fo Sho! lol

1-2 years? where have you been? The iPhone debuted in late June-July 2007 and is now on its 4th model (not counting the different memory models) - that works out to a new model every 7-8 months. At least RIM waited a year between Storm models; where do you get off with every six months?
    07-28-10 12:16 PM
    ^ It actually works out to a new model every 9 months.

3 Years (36 Months) / 4 phones = 9

Not that it actually matters.
    07-28-10 12:23 PM

GEE, I have an accounting degree too!
    07-28-10 12:26 PM
    Hmmm.... do I buy the 9800 or wait for the 9800 Refresh i.e. "9880" (1GB, 1GHZ processor and 8Megapixel camera)?

decisions decisions...
    07-28-10 01:56 PM
    Hmmm.... do I buy the 9800 or wait for the 9800 Refresh i.e. "9880" (1GB, 1GHZ processor and 8Megapixel camera)?

decisions decisions...
    This is RIM we're talking about, once OS6 is out, it will be 2-3 years before they'll have the hardware required.

and who cares what the specs are if they don't have the application market to back it up.

07-28-10 02:10 PM

Not that it actually matters, as you say, but....

Although your arithmetically correct when considering apple has released 4 phones since 2007, the equation you chose does not show a proper answer due to the fact that apple announces and releases a new phone every 12 months.

I have no idea why that bugged me and I apologize for the thread-jack. Back on topic. :-)
    07-28-10 05:07 PM
    This is RIM we're talking about, once OS6 is out, it will be 2-3 years before they'll have the hardware required.

and who cares what the specs are if they don't have the application market to back it up.

Not everything in a phone is based on what app can someone get...granted it is big, but you act like it is the only requirement.

Civic, I will never understand why you still post here as it has been quite evident that a Super Berry could come out and you would still pick it to death. I guarantee it...if not, the world has exploded!

07-28-10 05:51 PM
    Not that it actually matters, as you say, but....

Although your arithmetically correct when considering apple has released 4 phones since 2007, the equation you chose does not show a proper answer due to the fact that apple announces and releases a new phone every 12 months.

I have no idea why that bugged me and I apologize for the thread-jack. Back on topic. :-)
    Ya, you're not the only one that bugged. It seems the other two guys do "RIM Math".

Not only that, but the argument against Apple isn't even on the same scale as it is for RIM. I can't run BBOS6 on my S1. I can however run iOS4 on my 3G or 3GS. Both models are older then the S1 device. Sure, not all capabilities are available on the 3G models, but at least 98% of the iOS4 guts runs on it. You can't say that for RIM stuff. lol
    07-28-10 08:35 PM
    ; )

Actaully even a few dollars different can kill a product Margin and Pricepoint.

RIM is taking huge slack for dipping margins, throwing 1GB onboard would increase costs, for the MOST BASIC of margin examples

if RIM buys the RAM for 512Chip for $15 and the 1024Chip for $20
    RIM's minimal margin is 30%
    so to Carrier Distribution Centre it gets sold as $21.43 and $28.57 respectively
    Carrier Distribution Centre needs 30% as well to keep it's self running
    so we are now $30.61, and $40.82,
    Now the Retailer Needs to Make 30%
    so we have $43.73 and $58.32

So by adding 5 dollars to the cost we are actually adding $14.59 to the end user.

and that is with BARE minimum margin mark ups, RIM is trying to raise it's margin for stock holders, throwing RAM in unless it can prove that the sales will bring up the gross greater than the Margin loss is pointless, that is RIM's challenge,
    07-28-10 08:58 PM
    Ya, you're not the only one that bugged. It seems the other two guys do "RIM Math".

Not only that, but the argument against Apple isn't even on the same scale as it is for RIM. I can't run BBOS6 on my S1. I can however run iOS4 on my 3G or 3GS. Both models are older then the S1 device. Sure, not all capabilities are available on the 3G models, but at least 98% of the iOS4 guts runs on it. You can't say that for RIM stuff. lol
    What good is it if it's going to give you issues though?

Apple investigating issues with iOS 4 upgrade on iPhone 3G -- Engadget

Nothing on 4.0 for the 3G users is really significant. So what's the point? It's OUTDATED hardware. In this case it even runs worst than 3.1.3 and people are downgrading.
    07-28-10 09:28 PM
    She doesn't have a point. Don't you know that by now. Let her rant.
    07-28-10 09:31 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD