04-19-15 11:12 PM
235 ... 8910
tools
    Shouldn't there be a difference, between the government who should look after its citizens (more or less) and a private entity who doesn't give a **** about their customers/land they reside in/the environment/their workers, as long as they make money?

I'll always take the government over an anonymous financial entity, that has no nationality, has no real accountability and only has profit as a goal.
    Why would anybody prefer an amoral organisation, that values profits over anything else, over the government that has a social responsibility towards the citizens? I honestly don't get it.

But it's like the other people say, too much government in your life?
    I am sure that something like Somalia must be more to your liking.

I also wonder...
    If you have too much government around you...
    Do you dislike laws? Are you more of an anarchist?
    If you "trust" the government, then... good luck to you friend...

But yes, companies do care about profits. But the thing is, the desire to get these profits also drives things like innovation and competition. And a lot of times to get the most profit, you'll have to release products or services that the consumers, the people giving them this money, want or need. What do politicians desire? Not even money, they desire power. And there really is no positive side-effect of someone who is hungry for power and control.

Also, we are complaining about maybe 3 large companies that control most of the internet. Sure that's kind of dangerous, but any more dangerous than handing it off to one, even larger, entity? If things get REALLY bad, you can always sue any or all of the three big companies. What can you do when this one big entity decides to abuse the power?

I'm no anarchist, I understand the need to rules and regulation, but I don't really believe in giving it all to one entity to decide the rules for everyone. Just like every different country in Europe, every state in the USA are VERY different. That's why I think it's utterly stupid and ignorant when people from other countries try to judge the entire nation with stupid stereotypes... So I'm not as much against individual states/counties/cities passing laws, because I feel they have a better idea about what their residents need and what works for them. But the more responsibility and control we hand off to the Federal Government, the more dangerous it is, in my opinion. Even if they are doing things with the best intentions, do they really know of one broad paint stroke that will be the best decision for everyone in the entire country?? I personally don't think so...
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-18-15 09:29 PM
    They should know, given that the House of Representatives and the Senate are made up of people from every State and are voted in by the people of those States...

Not trying to critique your post or thoughts, I have no stake in this debate. Just pointing out the irony of stating that a House of Representatives somehow doesn't represent the people of the USA or understand them.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    04-18-15 10:43 PM
    They should know, given that the House of Representatives and the Senate are made up of people from every State and are voted in by the people of those States...

Not trying to critique your post or thoughts, I have no stake in this debate. Just pointing out the irony of stating that a House of Representatives somehow doesn't represent the people of the USA or understand them.

JB

They "represent" them to a degree, but it still boils down to "majority rules" (or two-thirds) which means now they'll pass a law that "most" states might be OK with, so screw the minority states right? Also, there are executive actions the POTUS can do without congressional approval.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-19-15 10:52 AM
    Of course it boils down to majority rules. That's how democracy works. Do you think the State governments do anything more than cater to the majority in their States? At the end of the day politicians cater to those who will re-elect them, not necessarily those who need the help the most.

JB

04-19-15 01:44 PM
    Of course it boils down to majority rules. That's how democracy works. Do you think the State governments do anything more than cater to the majority in their States? At the end of the day politicians cater to those who will re-elect them, not necessarily those who need the help the most.

JB

It's still more specific than one size fits all. At least you can move to another state if there is a law that really does not jive with you. I know you're probably used to a system where everything is set for you. That's personal preference, I like having some choice in the things I do, others don't care as much, no biggie.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-19-15 02:35 PM
    I like John Olivers views on this issue. (probably old news for most, sorry)
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-19-15 02:46 PM

JB

The USA is NOT a democracy but rather a Representative Republic... set up specifically to prevent mob rule.

Pretty sad how few folks actually understand that.

Posted via CB10
    MTBBguy likes this.
    04-19-15 03:51 PM
    In your opinion...

Posted via CB10
    Net neutrality is about a lot more than Netflix and subsidization of their business model (which is an idiotic claim in the first place). Not everyone's opinions are informed, and because of this not everyone's opinions are equal.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 10:56 PM
    Net neutrality is about a lot more than Netflix and subsidization of their business model (which is an idiotic claim in the first place). Not everyone's opinions are informed, and because of this not everyone's opinions are equal.

Posted via CB10
    Just out of curiosity, do you believe the only opinions that are informed in this discussion are those which agree with your position?

JB

04-19-15 11:06 PM
    Just out of curiosity, do you believe the only opinions that are informed in this discussion are those which agree with your position?

JB

No, that has nothing to do with my second statement. Simply a fact of life.

I do think that saying Net Neutrality is only about subsidizing Netflix's business model is willfully ignorant, however. Netflix isn't even supporting Net Neutrality anymore--they have no moral obligations to the people (they will do what's best for their business, and supporting Net Neutrality helps competitors). Netflix has agreements in place already that are supposed to circumvent contributing to a user's data cap. See: it's not an opinion that the previous poster whom I am criticizing is uninformed.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 11:12 PM
235 ... 8910