04-20-15 12:12 AM
235 123 ...
tools
    I hope they will prevail.
    No good can ever come from Gov intervention in the private market, IMO. Fight the power! LoL

Internet Providers Sue to Kill Net Neutrality

March 23, 2015 Telecom companies filed a pair of lawsuits Monday in an attempt to reverse the Federal Communications Commission's new net neutrality rules.

The suits are expected to be the opening shots in a long legal war against the controversial regulations.

USTelecom, which represents AT&T, Verizon, and other companies, filed its lawsuit in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, while Alamo Broadband, a small Texas-based wireless Internet provider, filed its suit in the U.S. appeals court based in New Orleans.

"The focus of our legal appeal will be on the FCC's decision to reclassify broadband Internet access service as a public utility service after a decade of amazing innovation and investment under the FCC's previous light-touch approach," Jon Banks, the senior vice president for USTelecom, said in a statement. "As our industry has said many times, we do not block or throttle traffic and FCC rules prohibiting blocking or throttling will not be the focus of our appeal."

(RELATED: Will the FCC Decide How Much You Pay for Internet?)

The suits claim the rules are outside the FCC's authority, violate administrative law, and infringe on the companies' constitutional rights.

An FCC spokesman said the lawsuits, which were filed before the rules have even been formally published in the Federal Register, are "premature and subject to dismissal."

In their court filings, the Internet providers said they sued early in an "abundance of caution." They are worried that the court might count the 10-day window for legal challenges beginning when the FCC released the text of its decision, instead of when the rules are published in the Federal Register. The FCC's decision includes both new regulations and a "declaratory ruling," which the Internet providers said complicates the issue of when to file the challenges. *

(RELATED: Republican: Net Neutrality Will "Jeopardize the Open Internet")

The FCC's rules bar Internet providers from blocking online content, selectively slowing down traffic, or creating any special "fast lanes" for sites that pay more. The supporters argue the rules will ensure that Internet providers can't act as "gatekeepers" and restrict access to online information or services.

The FCC first enacted net neutrality rules in 2010, but the D.C. Circuit struck them down early last year.

In an attempt to bolster the chances of the new rules in court, the FCC classified the Internet as a "telecommunications service," which grants the agency broad regulatory powers. But the Internet providers fear the decision has turned them into public utilities and will stifle their industry's growth.*

Internet Providers Sue to Kill Net Neutrality - NationalJournal.com

Posted via CB10
    jhimmel, RazzBerry, RJB55 and 3 others like this.
    03-25-15 04:08 PM
    But the Internet providers fear the decision has turned them into public utilities and will stifle their industry's growth.*
    That statement will go down in history as another 'great lie'.

Crooks the lot of them.
    03-25-15 04:17 PM
    I'm rooting for the FCC on this one. Which makes me feel pretty disgusting. But throttling and fast-laning is total crap, and somebody should regulate it.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 04:33 PM
    Because no regulated utility ever made money, right?

Seriously, regulation in the public interest is necessary in areas where monopoly or near-monopoly control prevails. Read up on 19th century railways and rate-fixing if you have doubts. Standard oil was another great example.

If you'd like to see the outcome of modern deregulation, look into the Alberta natural gas system, or the end of the Canadian wheat board. No "little guys" benefitted from those changes.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-25-15 04:42 PM
    Hope this gets shot down in court. American Internet infrastructure is slower than post-communist states in Eastern Europe even before ISPs stick up content providers in order to stream faster.
    03-25-15 04:47 PM
    The fact that they're fighting this so eagerly should be enough evidence of how badly it is needed. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 04:56 PM
    It was government investment and intervention that created the Internet in the first place. In the end it's all 1's and 0's so it should be treated the same.

Posted via CB10
    srfinva, Jose Casiano and FF22 like this.
    03-25-15 05:19 PM
    Mate, you're on the wrong side of the coin. The media effectively got you.

You reminded me of this: https://www.techdirt.com/blog/netneu...ty-works.shtml
    03-25-15 05:24 PM
    OP is right, I think the government needs to stick their nose in less.
    it's only fair that I pay for a service only to get throttled for video streaming by that same service provider because X hates Y.
    Hopefully next up will be chemical companies to sue for intervening on where they dispose their waste.
    If I can swim in a lake then why can't I dump my trash their too?!
    Or an orphanage I mean no one goes to them anyway.
    /end sarcasm

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 07:47 PM
    I mean sure, the Gov is the most efficient entity to take care of everything around us. They know exactly what we need and will furnish it because we're not innovative enough to do it ourselves. Everything it touches turns to gold! Hop on the bus! Anything that is forced "neutrality" is good... Internet or apps. There can be no true competition. The playing field must be leveled out by those that are the most heavy handed.

We all get trophies for participating! Yay!

And BlackBerry owners are the most in need and properly conditioned for "neutrality" since that is what they need. Not competition, but that even playing field to ensure survival. Sad....

Posted via CB10
    medic22003 and quangtran1 like this.
    03-25-15 10:20 PM
    What are they saying they don't throttle? That's why ATT throttles my data after 4 GB, right? Yet it's, "unlimited."

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 10:29 PM
    Uh.. so you'd rather a few billionaires set the playing field for something that could essentially break or make the country's daily operations?

I mean, not that they don't already pull the strings of government given the lack of contribution limits, but at least they have to try to pretend that they don't have the country in their pocket.

The government, while not necessarily the most appropriate provider of services, is definitely the appropriate vehicle for regulation of services that have become essential infrastructure to its people and the economy.

The only difference between internet and telephone, electric, etc,.. is that it is relatively newer. Would you argue against a common carrier provision of telephone companies, or electric companies? Because I'm sure some did back in the day saying it would lead to the end of their "free market competition" services (which didn't really exist, like the non-existent choice in ISP for most). But you probably think that's a ridiculous argument, because you've likely grown in a world where that wasn't even questioned.

It may seem like change, which is scary, but it's not really change at all.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 10:35 PM
    For God's sake! Please help us!

Because we need it! And Gov is just the right place to look to because when they do everything will be just fine like always!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 10:39 PM
    For God's sake! Please help us!

Because we need it! And Gov is just the right place to look to because when they do everything will be just fine like always!

Posted via CB10
    So we should leave 'the marketplace,' which is a creation of government, alone, close our eyes, and let the most powerful corporate entities, which are also a creation of government, determine the outcome? Because, god forbid that the government meddle in our lives.

Markets are not 'natural.' The rules that define them are laid out in government-created laws.

Corporations are not natural either. They are a relatively recent development. And limited liability corporations free investors of all responsibility.

Government is already involved. So they should stay involved and ensure that the playing field is properly regulated, since its existence is already the product of regulation.
    wincyUt and playbookster like this.
    03-25-15 11:24 PM
    Hope this gets shot down in court. American Internet infrastructure is slower than post-communist states in Eastern Europe even before ISPs stick up content providers in order to stream faster.
    I'm willing to bet country size and population density has something to do with it too.

Oh and corporate greed. Why not milk something for all its worth before someone introduces something faster/better forcing them to have to invest again.
    03-25-15 11:24 PM
    I mean sure, the Gov is the most efficient entity to take care of everything around us. They know exactly what we need and will furnish it because we're not innovative enough to do it ourselves. Everything it touches turns to gold! Hop on the bus! Anything that is forced "neutrality" is good... Internet or apps. There can be no true competition. The playing field must be leveled out by those that are the most heavy handed.

We all get trophies for participating! Yay!

And BlackBerry owners are the most in need and properly conditioned for "neutrality" since that is what they need. Not competition, but that even playing field to ensure survival. Sad....

Posted via CB10
    I guess you think the anti-trust laws in the US were a big mistake and the government should have left Carnegie, Rockefeller alone?
    SeeBeeEss and AnimalPak200 like this.
    03-25-15 11:45 PM
    Just a quick question: have any of you arguing in favor of any of the sides read the "Open Internet Order"?

If you haven't arguing in favor of any side shouldn't be allowed.

Anyways here's the document for your night reading https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/at...CC-15-24A1.pdf
    Shuswap likes this.
    03-25-15 11:47 PM
    So we should leave 'the marketplace,' which is a creation of government, alone, close our eyes, and let the most powerful corporate entities, which are also a creation of government, determine the outcome? Because, god forbid that the government meddle in our lives.

Markets are not 'natural.' The rules that define them are laid out in government-created laws.

Corporations are not natural either. They are a relatively recent development. And limited liability corporations free investors of all responsibility.

Government is already involved. So they should stay involved and ensure that the playing field is properly regulated, since its existence is already the product of regulation.
    Well, if you believe Gov created everything around you, what can I say? That business... You didn't build that...

However, I don't believe that Gov created everything around me. I personally believe in human ingenuity and that much of this great nation was built by those who have worked very hard to produce what they believe to be great contributions to society. Why should the FCC be the governor of all things Internet? Isn't the Internet world wide?

The welfare state and mindset will never give up on the idea that the Gov should proportion and distribute everything around us evenly to all. It's no surprise.

What is given can be taken.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 11:55 PM
    I guess you think the anti-trust laws in the US were a big mistake and the government should have left Carnegie, Rockefeller alone?
    Well, I don't believe the Gov should be able to confiscate someone's legal business and distribute it to those that failed to compete. If that's what you're asking me.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 11:57 PM
    But under Chen's watch, many have learned to beg the Gov for what they have failed to produce themselves. So that train of thought here is no surprise at all. LoL

Gimme gimme Gimme
    Any promo codes?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 12:00 AM
    Oh and corporate greed. Why not milk something for all its worth before someone introduces something faster/better forcing them to have to invest again.
    I see nothing wrong with this at all. Because those that want that money will be forced to change for the better and provide what the masses desire. Whoever does it right prevails.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 12:06 AM
    Well, if you believe Gov created everything around you, what can I say?
    I don't "believe" anything. Law exists. The law of contract, the right to sue and be sued, the rules surrounding commercial transactions, stock markets, etc., are all creations of governments. Thus, the so-called market was created. Corporations are fictitious legal persons. Groups of people (investors) can work together in certain ways without certain obligations (limited liability), because government has given them the right to do so. So, if government gives them extraordinary rights, it can also subject them to extraordinary obligations.

You may choose not to "believe" that governments created anything, but that is just a wilful denial of history. Groups of very self-interested people created laws that offered them considerable advantages when they held control of government. Then they whine when other groups of self-interested people gain control of government and subject them to reasonable (or excessive and unreasonable) controls. It's a back and forth exchange. C'est la vie.

I agree with you completely that people work very hard within the rules to achieve great things.
    03-26-15 12:27 AM
    I don't "believe" anything.
    Of course you do. How else is anyone supposed to interpret your straight forward language?
    So we should leave 'the marketplace,' which is a creation of government, alone...
    You have to get past your denial of your own statements first, before addressing anything else.

If you meant something else, why not just say so? LoL

You may choose not to "believe" that governments created anything
    I never said that, so don't put words in my mouth. I believe that Gov created a lot... A lot of boondoggles, waste, fraud, and abuse which is evident with this plan. LoL

No worries. There's a trophy waiting for all that ask. We'll take them from the winners and divide everything up for the losers to have trophies as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 12:55 AM
    Just read the ruling. If you still think that regulation's a bad idea, there's nothing I can say to convince you.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 04-01-15 at 06:28 PM.
    03-26-15 01:11 AM
    Just read the ruling. If you still think that regulation's a bad idea, there's nothing I can say to convince you.
    Well, I believe I already stated the same to you previously. If you believe Gov created everything, what am I supposed to say?You're entitled to your beliefs.

I can't wait until we are all taxed (again) on top of the taxes we already pay for these new self ordained Gov services that have been provided to us. LoL.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 01:23 AM
235 123 ...