06-15-14 12:52 AM
163 ... 567
tools
    I don't understand...who cares who invented what first. Unless BB (or Android...ahem) patented them, then why does it matter?
    Actually, you can't patent software features, which is the "ends" to a "means". You can only patent the "means"/process to do something, which is the source code or an algorithm. (Source code is actually protected by copyright law, though.) Aside from the fact Blackberry didn't invent these features, even if it did, it would have weak/no case against Apple.

The way Apple sues Android/Samsung is through "trade dress". What this means is that Apple is not arguing over the right of Android OEMs to have the features but over their appearance. For example, consider the "bounce" at the end of an app list. The feature is actually an indicator to the user that he has reached the end of the app list and that the operating system is not lagging. Samsung doesn't have to use a "bounce" to show this. For example, stock Android's "light" toward the end is the same feature with a different appearance. By showing the "bounce" is merely aesthetic rather than functional, Apple could win a case against others using the "bounce".

There is nothing artistic about a text box. It has a functional purpose and Blackberry definitely did not invent the textbox.
    techvisor and TGR1 like this.
    06-04-14 12:51 PM
    You're joking, right? Google's stuff is completely cross-platform. I can do the same thing on a PC, a Mac, or Linux. Sure, I may need to download a couple of plug-ins the very first time I do something on that PC, but so what?

Google's stuff works with the gear you already have, and doesn't require a whole new hardware ecosystem. I get that you don't like it, and that's fine - personal preferences are completely okay. But Google beat Apple to the cloud and cross-platform syncing/accessing services from any platform. I've been doing these things for years already.
    Google Voice is not available in many countries. Apple's new features will be available to everyone.
    06-04-14 01:21 PM
    Actually, you can't patent software features, which is the "ends" to a "means". You can only patent the "means"/process to do something, which is the source code or an algorithm. (Source code is actually protected by copyright law, though.) Aside from the fact Blackberry didn't invent these features, even if it did, it would have weak/no case against Apple.

The way Apple sues Android/Samsung is through "trade dress". What this means is that Apple is not arguing over the right of Android OEMs to have the features but over their appearance. For example, consider the "bounce" at the end of an app list. The feature is actually an indicator to the user that he has reached the end of the app list and that the operating system is not lagging. Samsung doesn't have to use a "bounce" to show this. For example, stock Android's "light" toward the end is the same feature with a different appearance. By showing the "bounce" is merely aesthetic rather than functional, Apple could win a case against others using the "bounce".
    I dunno about that. Apple's '647 patent (which Apple tags onto pretty much every patent suit they file) seems to carry significant legal weight, even when competitors like HTC, Samsung, etc.. each point out that the means is different, it's the end result that hands Apple their victory. And the patent is a very vague patent. Essentially, any mobile device that can make phone numbers, email addresses, URL's, etc... clickable/actionable from within emails/sms/IM's or any other implementation (except for web browsers apparently), regardless the means they used to achieve the end result, is in violation of the patent.
    06-04-14 01:29 PM
    Good. Let the BlackBerry team watch iOS copying them.
    BlackBerry need to use this as an advantage and come out with more features for 10.3. I don't mind if it gets delay.

BlackBerry need to pay attention to the Apple conference and come out with something that's different.
    BlackBerry should use this in a new advertising campaign. The competition is copying us!

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    06-04-14 02:38 PM
    BlackBerry should use this in a new advertising campaign. The competition is copying us!

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry copies others also though. The last two UIs they've "came up with" were practically carbon copies of existing UIs from what BlackBerry believed to be dead platforms. First they copied the UI from WebOS for the PlayBook, then they copied the UI from MeeGo for BlackBerry 10. Other platforms has quick reply like features long before BB10 even existed.

They shouldn't call others out for a crime they are guilty of as well.
    06-05-14 07:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that would work. 3% market share here we come....

Twitter: xandermac
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-05-14 08:04 PM
    When Apple users telling me their "new" features.
    Attachment 275798
    Willy SHOULD CARE!

Cases in point:

1. Microsoft has pretty much always had touchscreen in their Windows Mobile smartphone OS even on WinCE based but they did NOT win for too long.

2. Apple licensed, purchased then patented multi-Touch Screens = caching!

3. Apple continues to deliver a seamless end user experience ... making complex tasks very simple. BlackBerry had to setup training and license their BES Administrators - a highly coveted pay rate annoually just for mobile management - and within 3yrs along microsoft killed this need heavily. Outsourcing the certification and training did NOTHING.

4. Apple continues to evolve, not knee jerk reactions ... EVEN in their copying they do things much more elegantly. Whoopie do they have x feature that was in BB10 a year already ... SO FAQ'ING what! The killer is in the details in how it's presented and how its executed! For almost 100yrs EVERY CAR has had an Engine, a Key, tires, wheels, etc. But how you put it all together creates a completely different experience from a honda civic crx to a pontiac fiero, a Ferrari GTO vs a Porsche 911 GT2 circa 1993. How a Jaguar XKE Coupe (the original) although drives like crap - still evokes pure emotion more than any Hyundai today!

need I go on?!
    06-10-14 01:53 AM
    What bugs me most is the ignorance and arrogance when it comes to the whole "Yes Apple totally did invent that"
    Makes me sad and angry.

Sry I just have to post that, to remind me.

But the thing is tech companies rarely invent new stuff that turns your life around from one day to another.
    The whole market has become a big fat copy cat, innovating is not that easy obviously especially when big companies
    don't think out of their boxes.

So my point for BlackBerry is, they need to push out their stuff within the next 2-3 month. Be there before Apple drops their stuff on the market. And be better where you can.
    - Apple does sms and email from desktop? Give us full hub access to every app integrated.
    - Apple has instant notifications now? Vamp up and optimize our notifications.
    Give us some stuff to shine in a head to head productivity comparison that would be great

Haven't even bothered to watch the video ... but Apple has made VERY significant first in many industries!

First computer with 4K colour.
    First Computer that can play more than 1 sound simultaneously (Apple IIe)
    First Computer to accept double-sided 256/512K Floppy Disk (cut out, not store bought those were almost 9mths later)
    ^ I was 8 yrs old when all of these occured and I've PERSONALLY experienced these: All three using Karateka!

First to release an MP3 player than can transfer 1000 songs in less time than the competition, and charge in 20% the time (due to FW400) - Windows users where CLAMORING into stores looking for compatibility ... WINDOWS users of all things! Even a lawsuit was attempted and miserably failed their 2nd year with no accolades to boast about.

First to deliver mobile music playback on a smartphone - done RIGHT! (efficiently, completely remote controlled) years ahead of the competition.
    First to deliver bit-mapped controlling Mouse (again not the mouse; but most likely the FIRST).
    The First to revolutionize Touchpads ... oops sorry this IS a patent!

(Apple has NEVER claimed these as patented nor invented by them! Find an ad or print statement to prove me and them wrong)
    Invented:
    A new UNIX: yes Darwin their implementation and fixes over the years was declared a new Unix ... by Barkeley University themselves.
    Strong Glass structures in buildings! Yes designed and patented - look at ALL their major city stores globally.
    Glass stars: yes patented.
    Auto gravity sensing patent the ability to park HDD heads to reduce damage: YES Apple patented this and invented it.
    FW400/800 Apple patented.
    Thunderbolt port - patented but co colaborated with Intel.
    tack likes this.
    06-10-14 02:03 AM
    Hey friends,

Right now, I'm watching the Apple Event 2014 and I'm kinda pi*** off.

Don't get me wrong, I respect Apple as an very successful company.

But there are things on iOS8, which make me kinda angry:

1.) iOS8 gets "toast notifications", just like BB OS10 and you are able to answer them right on the top of the display.
    Just like the ones from BBM or WhatsApp on OS10.

2.) iOS8 gets a gesture somehow like the Hub from Blackberry, where you can check new mails right from an app and can reply - if you want to...

3.) iOS8 gets BBM-like group chats, voice mails & you can share you location within the chat.

4.) iOS8 gets "the same" word prediction like we have it on the BB OS10 Q10 - and it's also able to learn who you text.
    They even showed an old Blackberry Curve to that as reference.

5.) iOS8 gets a preview of notifications on the lockscreen, like we got with BB OS 10.2.1 and you are also able to open them right from the lockscreen.

6.) Now they offer an Enterprise server...

Now, that makes me angry and sad - because people now will say that this are Apple's innovations...

What do you say to that?
    I think they wanna totally kick out Blackberry with that...

Pls do more research. Some of your points already existed in iOS 6 years before BB10............

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.3139
    06-10-14 02:17 AM
    Use what works for you and don't worry about who did what first. Apple was not the first to do front facing cameras but they were the ones to make great use for it. They weren't the first smartphone but they were the ones that made smartphones more desirable to the general population. I love BlackBerry 10 but I am not going to shun folks for using iPhone or Android or Windows Phone. I happen to have iOS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10. My first choice is BlackBerry 10. Others may like Windows Phone for the live tiles and Android for its widgets. Pick what works out for you and go with it. However, I do think people need to give BlackBerry 10 a chance if they have not already done so. The difference in BlackBerry 10 and classic BlackBerry software is day and night like Windows Mobile is to Windows Phone 8

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 04:04 AM
    I think they hav to go for a major overhaul in their marketing strategies like other brands do..OS10 is far more superior than ios & wp8 atleast

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 06:50 AM
    Haven't even bothered to watch the video ... but Apple has made VERY significant first in many industries!
    But I should now bother and read your reply?

Let's agree on "significant first" in terms of making technology commercially available to a broad audience.
    And you might want to watch the video, some of your points are covered!
    06-12-14 06:36 AM
    Just as a counter discussion to many of your comments, what has BB invented?

There is a big difference between invention and innovation btw.
    Last edited by tack; 06-15-14 at 01:02 AM.
    TGR1, mornhavon and anon8656116 like this.
    06-15-14 12:52 AM
163 ... 567