06-15-14 12:52 AM
163 ... 4567
tools
    AGREE! All Apple has to do is to show these features... Everybody assumes that Apple invented them even though Apple did not make that claim! I am a Blackberry guy, but even I have to admit that it is a great marketing strategy!
    I don't understand...who cares who invented what first. Unless BB (or Android...ahem) patented them, then why does it matter?
    06-03-14 07:07 PM
    Blah, Blah, Blah and Blah.... Don't take me wrong but has Apple ever stopped BlackBerry from campaigning or showcasing their features? BlackBerry really need to get their heads out of their enterprise/corporate asses and gauge the market trend! Apple ALWAYS calibrate the consumer need or rather one!!

People here are complaining about copying BB's features but nobody has talked about the weight-age which Apple has given to it's developers! Just go through the conference again and check the section where they have appreciated their developers and what they have introduced for them.

I never saw this with Blackberry, rather they demotivate their native developers by bringing "Android runtime" ... jeez!!
    06-03-14 09:40 PM
    It's sad to see that Apple isn't innovative anymore, right now, they're just improving on their actual product, no innovation in years...
    Dude, they just announced a new freakin' programming language that will be implemented in damn near ever one of a half-billion devices. What does "innovation" have to look like for it to get acknowledged here?
    06-03-14 10:50 PM
    Hey friends,

Right now, I'm watching the Apple Event 2014 and I'm kinda pi*** off.

Don't get me wrong, I respect Apple as an very successful company.

But there are things on iOS8, which make me kinda angry:

1.) iOS8 gets "toast notifications", just like BB OS10 and you are able to answer them right on the top of the display.
    Just like the ones from BBM or WhatsApp on OS10.

2.) iOS8 gets a gesture somehow like the Hub from Blackberry, where you can check new mails right from an app and can reply - if you want to...

3.) iOS8 gets BBM-like group chats, voice mails & you can share you location within the chat.

4.) iOS8 gets "the same" word prediction like we have it on the BB OS10 Q10 - and it's also able to learn who you text.
    They even showed an old Blackberry Curve to that as reference.

5.) iOS8 gets a preview of notifications on the lockscreen, like we got with BB OS 10.2.1 and you are also able to open them right from the lockscreen.

6.) Now they offer an Enterprise server...

Now, that makes me angry and sad - because people now will say that this are Apple's innovations...

What do you say to that?
    I think they wanna totally kick out Blackberry with that...

You forgot the new iCloud Drive.

You forgot the new Photos App and the Full Size Photo Synching across devices.

You forgot the Continuity features like being able to Send and Receive SMS from OSX as well as Make and Receive Phone calls from OSX. Pretty much single-handedly rendering apps like Skype worthless especially for users in the US on carriers like Verizon (Free International Texting in Edge Plans) or people who don't make international calls.

The features that they ripped out from other OSes (which everyone does - Windows Phone had Toast Notifications before Blackberry 10 but I didn't hear anyone here complaining about that) are only a fairly small subset of what they added, and much of the enhancements they really focused on were in bridging the divide between the PC and Smartphone form factors - which actually is innovative.

The "Mobile Computing" that Blackberry was always cawing about, this is the future and what I've always spoken about on these forums: Seamless interoperability across device form-factors. Apple just went where everyone else probably should have gone, but didn't, and it's going to be a HUGE selling point for their platforms.

Anyone who owns a Mac are going to be giving up a ton of convenience and real-world extremely usable features by getting anything but an iPhone after Yosemite/iOS 8 launches, and same for anyone with an iPhone that doesn't have a MacBook or iMac.

To be quite frank, I actually thought Microsoft would have gotten there before Apple since they were the ones to force the mobile app interface on their desktop users.
    06-03-14 11:11 PM
    Blah, Blah, Blah and Blah.... Don't take me wrong but has Apple ever stopped BlackBerry from campaigning or showcasing their features? BlackBerry really need to get their heads out of their enterprise/corporate asses and gauge the market trend! Apple ALWAYS calibrate the consumer need or rather one!!

People here are complaining about copying BB's features but nobody has talked about the weight-age which Apple has given to it's developers! Just go through the conference again and check the section where they have appreciated their developers and what they have introduced for them.

I never saw this with Blackberry, rather they demotivate their native developers by bringing "Android runtime" ... jeez!!
    Weight-age? Wtf?

As for your last part, lack of potential customers far trumps BlackBerry adding android runtime that would **** developers off. Your reasoning is without merit.
    06-03-14 11:26 PM
    I blame BlackBerry marketing dept. Most people don't know what BlackBerry 10.2 can do.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 11:37 PM
    As a Google Voice user, I've been doing that for almost 4 years already.
    Yes, as a "Google Voice" user. Or a Google+ User. Or a Google Chrome User. Etc.

With the Mac and iPhone you don't have to be any user except yourself. If the Phone Rings, you pick it up on your PC. It's built into the OS and the Hardware (which runs those OSes exclusively) are the only prerequisites.

With Google's services, you have to worry about which services you should have enabled, what information you have to give them to get it to work. What browser you're running. What Plugins you're running in the browser. Etc.

The advantage that Apple services have over Google's, is that Google always ties you to something, while Apple just lets you have it as a present for buying their hardware. Their business model allows them to give their users a lot more freedom (apart from using their hardware, which is totally understandable to any reasonable person). You can do that on an iPhone with nothing but an AppleID which anyone would have to Get Apps on Mac/iPhone and Buy Music from iTunes. If you don't want a Google Account, you're not going to be using Google Voice.

You don't need Facebook to use their Photo Stream/iCloud Photo Backup. You don't need Facebook to send a Picture in iMessage, the way you need Google+ to send a Picture in Hangouts. You don't need Facebook to sign into iCloud to even use iMessage (the way you need Google+ to sign into the Hangouts app on iOS). Google's services are becoming way too encumbered and a cesspool of dependencies - especially Social Dependencies for their portal which is walled off from the rest of the internet.

This is where owning both the platform on both form factors becomes an advantage. I expected Microsoft to be more aggressive with this kind of interop. They are really dropping the ball. At this point, price is the only factor keeping me using Windows, TBQH, not that I cannot afford a Mac (I just have a hard time plopping down that kind of cash when a Laptop that costs half as much is more than usable for me). OSX is leaving them in the dust and iOS doesn't have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread if it's working this well with its desktop counterpart.

If this next iPhone is 4.7", I actually expect quite a few iMac/MacBook + Android users to switch to the iPhone just so they can be more productive and take advantage of those continuity features, especially now that the price of iCloud storage is going to be drastically reduced (plopping down for 20% on day one for most of those users is going to be a no-brainer, especially since you can use iTunes gift cards to pay for it IIRC).

Even still, iCloud Control Panel works on Windows and will still allow those people to access their Photos, iCloud Drive, etc. from a PC if they wanted. Google's setup is a bit too messy for me. They need to develop a Control Panel similar to iCloud which doesn't have a ton of updaters and a bloated browser runtime running in the background decreasing your laptops battery life by 30%.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-03-14 11:45 PM
    Weight-age? Wtf?

As for your last part, lack of potential customers far trumps BlackBerry adding android runtime that would **** developers off. Your reasoning is without merit.
    Dam auto correct *weight-age*

Looks like your are living in Blackberry bubble. Come out of it buddy

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    06-04-14 12:07 AM
    I blame BlackBerry marketing dept. Most people don't know what BlackBerry 10.2 can do.

Posted via CB10
    I just can't let this slide again.

Here in Australia the biggest network is Telstra. Here in Australia, the biggest seller of Blackberry products is *Telstra*. When did the Q10 launch? Months ago, right? Where I live there is ONE Blackberry product now on display at the Telstra Store. It's a Q10. It HAS NOT WORKED SINCE LAUNCH. They won't bother changing it, or fixing it. Tell you something about what Networks think of Blackberry? If that was an Apple display heads would have rolled the next day.
    bbdodgersdude likes this.
    06-04-14 12:13 AM
    Really?? Hasn't worked since launch? That's a shame and Mr.Chen should know about this!

I just can't let this slide again.

Here in Australia the biggest network is Telstra. Here in Australia, the biggest seller of Blackberry products is *Telstra*. When did the Q10 launch? Months ago, right? Where I live there is ONE Blackberry product now on display at the Telstra Store. It's a Q10. It HAS NOT WORKED SINCE LAUNCH. They won't bother changing it, or fixing it. Tell you something about what Networks think of Blackberry? If that was an Apple display heads would have rolled the next day.
    06-04-14 12:24 AM
    Apple really only announces their new platform features once a year a this time so prior to this people get the feeling that nothing is happening for months on end as if they are sitting around and waiting for the competition to catch up. In a few weeks we are going to have the Android platform announcements from Google at their development event. And then in the early Fall we get the big hardware announcements from Apple. As the mobile market matures, size really does matter a lot. You need brute force software development to work on all of these platform fronts and you need a ton of current revenue to fund this arms race. Were talking billions.
    06-04-14 12:48 AM
    I look at it this way.....at least iOS 8 has some GREAT improvements that are actually worth the upgrade....iOS 6 to iOS 7 was just a pretty little UI change......iOS 8 actually has impressed me.....my partner may want an iPhone now......although he should stick with the Blackberry
    06-04-14 12:52 AM
    I love the stability of Apple products
    What I hate is what Apple do to bash or make fun of BlackBerry Curve and android

Apple is great in designing os no doubt but C'mon all of them are not your ideas so please shut the f*** up and respect other os D:

Posted via my Bo$$ BlackBerry Z10
    06-04-14 01:11 AM
    Yes, as a "Google Voice" user. Or a Google+ User. Or a Google Chrome User. Etc.

With the Mac and iPhone you don't have to be any user except yourself. If the Phone Rings, you pick it up on your PC. It's built into the OS and the Hardware (which runs those OSes exclusively) are the only prerequisites.

With Google's services, you have to worry about which services you should have enabled, what information you have to give them to get it to work. What browser you're running. What Plugins you're running in the browser. Etc.
    You're joking, right? Google's stuff is completely cross-platform. I can do the same thing on a PC, a Mac, or Linux. Sure, I may need to download a couple of plug-ins the very first time I do something on that PC, but so what?

Google's stuff works with the gear you already have, and doesn't require a whole new hardware ecosystem. I get that you don't like it, and that's fine - personal preferences are completely okay. But Google beat Apple to the cloud and cross-platform syncing/accessing services from any platform. I've been doing these things for years already.
    06-04-14 01:47 AM
    I don't think it will impact us...or blackberry. We already so much impacted that it does not matter so much, instead it could be viewed as positive. If people see the same feature on bb than iOS they all say oh it s cool. Not sure they care who did what first.
    I am more worried about the progression of Samsung Knox.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-04-14 02:16 AM
    Is John Chen really worried? So good to see people who admire BB so much are concerned but what about the person who's running BlackBerry?

I don't think it will impact us...or blackberry. We already so much impacted that it does not matter so much, instead it could be viewed as positive. If people see the same feature on bb than iOS they all say oh it s cool. Not sure they care who did what first.
    I am more worried about the progression of Samsung Knox.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-04-14 02:44 AM
    You're joking, right? Google's stuff is completely cross-platform. I can do the same thing on a PC, a Mac, or Linux. Sure, I may need to download a couple of plug-ins the very first time I do something on that PC, but so what?

Google's stuff works with the gear you already have, and doesn't require a whole new hardware ecosystem. I get that you don't like it, and that's fine - personal preferences are completely okay. But Google beat Apple to the cloud and cross-platform syncing/accessing services from any platform. I've been doing these things for years already.
    No it isn't. Windows Phone and BlackBerry are both shunned by Google. There are no decent desktop apps so you're dependent on Chrome for that a lot (Hangouts desktop "app").

And what does that have to do with a feature designed into apples OSes that uses normal phone and sms functionality? Voice requires you to have a compatible Phone and use a compatible browser unless you want to leave any other open literally all the time. It requires you to give out a second phone number and gas terrible MMS capabilities.

if you want to use Google Services from a PC you have to load up so much bloat ware on your computer it isn't even funny. And mind you, I actually use their services AND their platform. It isn't pretty not efficient.

This isn't about beating people. This is about providing the best user experience. Apple does that. Google doesn't. They design products to benefit themselves while Apple builds them to enhance the lives of their users.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 usibg Tapatalk.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 06-04-14 at 05:03 AM.
    xandermac likes this.
    06-04-14 04:44 AM
    Exactly!! And that's what makes me angry & sad!
    Blackberry did an awesome job and very hard work on that - and it's genius!
    And was there any marketing or public statement on that regard? No!! Blame BlackBerry not Apple.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2234-RA:2274"the iPhone Nemesis"
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    06-04-14 05:47 AM
    No it isn't. Windows Phone and BlackBerry are both shunned by Google. There are no decent desktop apps so you're dependent on Chrome for that a lot (Hangouts desktop "app").

And what does that have to do with a feature designed into apples OSes that uses normal phone and sms functionality? Voice requires you to have a compatible Phone and use a compatible browser unless you want to leave any other open literally all the time. It requires you to give out a second phone number and gas terrible MMS capabilities.

if you want to use Google Services from a PC you have to load up so much bloat ware on your computer it isn't even funny. And mind you, I actually use their services AND their platform. It isn't pretty not efficient.

This isn't about beating people. This is about providing the best user experience. Apple does that. Google doesn't. They design products to benefit themselves while Apple builds them to enhance the lives of their users.

Ummm do something about your signature.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    06-04-14 07:49 AM
    Ummm do something about your signature.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    06-04-14 07:58 AM

And Windows Phones might be embraced in the near future. Apple announced a Mac Installed Base of 80 million, way more than BB10 but equal to Windows Phones. 4 new Windows Phones got announced today, A new iPhone would be announced in September. A new BlackBerry will be announced when? Apart from the Z3
    06-04-14 08:26 AM
    The "Mobile Computing" that Blackberry was always cawing about, this is the future and what I've always spoken about on these forums: Seamless interoperability across device form-factors. Apple just went where everyone else probably should have gone, but didn't, and it's going to be a HUGE selling point for their platforms.
    It's interesting to see that they didn't copy BBM handover from Blend (or any other IM - whatsapp?) but went with voice.
    In my experience, I hate to reply to a small BBM message from the phone when I'm in front of a desktop with full keyboard.
    On the other hand, I doubt answering calls from desktop which would require to put on headphones (which I don't have) - much easier to get the phone with better audio/mic quality.
    06-04-14 08:37 AM
    It's interesting to see that they didn't copy BBM handover from Blend (or any other IM - whatsapp?) but went with voice.
    In my experience, I hate to reply to a small BBM message from the phone when I'm in front of a desktop with full keyboard.
    On the other hand, I doubt answering calls from desktop which would require to put on headphones (which I don't have) - much easier to get the phone with better audio/mic quality.
    Macs come with BT built into them pretty much as a Standard feature. This is less of an issue on that platform. If you can afford a mac and iPhone. You can spend 30-50 on a BT headset for your computer.

BBM handover is not needed to copy. Both their OSes support I message and FaceTime Audio and Video. Nothing else needs to be done there.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    06-04-14 08:39 AM
    Is John Chen really worried? So good to see people who admire BB so much are concerned but what about the person who's running BlackBerry?
    He did say he was not taking this lightly and I think he is very much aware of the Knox threat but he has a plan to deal with it...
    06-04-14 11:27 AM
    06-04-14 11:41 AM
163 ... 4567