06-14-14 11:52 PM
163 ... 34567
tools
    BB by FAR did not invent instant messaging. To believe so is folly...

As well, it would be the very rare person who would ever proclaim iMessage was a pioneer or first in instant messaging.

One of the biggest faux pas in the mobile industry is by BB users. Every BB loyalist seems to be under the impression that BBM was a pioneer in instant messaging. To this very day, many BB loyalists insist that BBM paved the way towards instant messaging. That's actually very untrue. BBM re-invented the wheel. Tough pill to swallow, but it's true. There was a plethora of instant messaging alternatives before BBM ever came around. The only thing that made BBM popular was because it was built into BBRY devices that dominated the market. The functionality wasn't any better. The features weren't any better (actually, other IM solutions like Yahoo, Google Talk, even AOL IM, had more features). BB just happened to be popular at the time as a mobile solution because the mobile market was dominated by Blackberry.

To be quite frank about it... BB was not a pioneer in the Instant Messaging department. They basically re-invented the wheel when there was plenty of other options available. Oddly, the current (at the time) IM solutions chose not to press into the industry until much later (which to this day is baffling). BBM just happened to be convenient at the time, and preinstalled on devices that happened to dominate the market at the time. Anybody who's been around long enough, knows that BBM's notoriety was just that... notoriety. Nothing exceptional, nothing special, and no better than any other IM solution. There is absolutely nothing about BBM that was innovative as an Instant Messenger that hadn't already been accomplished by any other instant messenger. I challenge anybody today to provide one item of BBM that is a success, that hadn't already been accomplished by another Instant Messenger.
    Same for you.
    Read the post above.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 01:45 AM
    Friend: (then he blabs about all the new features)
    Me: but these are the features I've been asking you to test out on BB10
    Friend: Noooooo!!! This is a first of its kind!!! Come, see!!!
    Unfortunately sooo true - Apple as a company is one thing. The most annoying thing for me are the Apple fan boys (and girls).
    A colleague (mid 40, so not only kids are affected by this) told me today in all details the great new features like toast notifications, that you can share you current location - and the great invention - that you can install apps which integrate with the system like keyboards ...

But the biggest and greatest thing about the new OS was - according to him - that it will be free (as in without costs)!!
    06-03-14 01:59 AM
    iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 will be free. (Without cost)

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    06-03-14 02:11 AM
    I think BlackBerry should advertise BB10 more. People need to be aware of what it already offers. Only then will others (Apple) not act like they invented everything on their own.
    For example, some websites say that Apple's copy of the instant reply feature is a great addition, but there's no mention of the fact that it's already there on BlackBerry.
    If it was widely known that this feature is available on BB10, Apple wouldn't have boasted so much about it like it was their own.

Posted via CB10 on my Q5
    06-03-14 02:11 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry has the funds to do marketing.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 02:14 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry has the funds to do marketing.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think they believe in it yet.

Z30 - The Best BlackBerry Experience
    06-03-14 02:17 AM
    AGREE! All Apple has to do is to show these features... Everybody assumes that Apple invented them even though Apple did not make that claim! I am a Blackberry guy, but even I have to admit that it is a great marketing strategy!
    Hmm. I really wonder how diehard BB fans (seemingly unapologetic haters of anything apple really understand Apple).

Before marketing there is something Apple has done .. Long before The Mac was even born ... It's called Culture! This is born by the very basic beliefs that start when the company is founded; these include:

Typography
    The willingness and relentlessness to make the best products
    Fight the status quo of the corporate type.
    Poke fun of the competition because their smaller than them and always has been.
    Recently protect their interests (bought, created, patented) to the death. They've learned getting beat up from the desktop wars against Microsoft and really lost but wagered an agreement that keeps them and Microsoft the top 80% of desktop OS' in the entire world.

the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and the two OS' have continually been refined not a major overhaul ever two years to disrupt your user base but refinement. Look up that word very carefully! You'll begin to understand that the base was always fine - contrary to popular belief here iOS is also a POSIX OS (same as OSX like QNX is; notice is said QNX not BB10 - there is a reason for that).

Has anyone here watched their keynote yesterday with an open mind?! Really listened to it?

Introduction of OSX disolayed :
    culture - the fan base was appeased by the fun nature of the company that has always existed (sorry the ghost of Jobs didn't set this alone it was every employee since 74).
    Typography and attention to aesthetics - apparent in their Trash Can - pay close attention that Apple's OSX has trash can into todays modern world when we all globally recycle in our homes and where we work. Microsoft's garbage is called Recycle Bin yet Apple recycles more per product, per office location and per production facility than Microsoft at ANY level. Apple is in turn to the environment and has made huge strides to accomplish this over the years making it publicly known. Also showing how Apple came up with the naming of OSX 10.10 (joking about calking it weid (pronounced WEED; founders where hippies after all). And at the very beginning announcing sales and userbase upgrade percentage base to that of the competition making a funny gesture to poke fun.

Notice how this all ties to what I've mentioned above?!

Now, where is Blackberry's culture? Where is their products evolving in a refined state? Non of their products has ever been done as a refinement but a whole new product at each release except for 9700 to 9780! Sure the early BB's can be argued as having an evolution (early Java based units) but common that wasn't intentional it was simply being cheap and cost cutting to increase profits. Nothing wrong there but they did it so much with an entire generation of devices (6250,7250, 7650, etc etc). The current devices: the Q10/Z30 share the same back, z10 looks like Z3 kind of, Q5 is a ******* child, Windermere again on its on in terms of design .. There is no sense of family nor heritage between them no queues! Thus no attention to detail nor marketing can be used to appeal to the different price ranges: if you really want a Q10 and cannot afford it in 12mths youre not likely feeling the Q5 at all but you'd get it if you like BB10 since the cost may fit your budget. See my point though?

Blackberry NEEDS to do the following:
    1. Soul search!
    - this is not just about what keeps it going like Security for business but at the core WHY is security a major focus in BES, BBOS, BB10?!!?? Really WHY?! Pontificate on that for a long moment? We know it but CAN YOU properly articulate it without citing articles and stastics and media hype crap and such?? I mean can you articulate this as a ROOT CAUSE for action(?) How does IT benefit YOU daily?! Why is BlackBerry so passionate about security?! So this is what BlackBerry needs to subtle and yet effectively communicate without coming across as creating FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt)!!

What is BlackBerrys design aesthetics going forward? Other than the symbol what makes BlackBerrys products unique before turning them on, something you can easily notice and is aesthetically appealing to the eye?! Can this design language be refined and eveolve subtly yet effectively.

OK do you ALL see where I'm going with all this babbling?! Do you really see it?! BlaclBerry has a DEEP whole in its heart not just its pocket and before its pocket can be filled without selling out or its soul it's heart needs a JumpStart and a reason to beat going forward! The employees need more than just:

Increasing sales,
    Increasing profits,
    Tidbit news of BES10 licensees every few months,
    More than a major BB10.x update on its own months away!!!

They NEED a reason to keep faith in BlackBerry going through thick and thin, a reason to look forward to beyond the fickle CEO statements not to sell BB piece by piece unless the price is right!

Do you see?!!
    Beyond Fire, TGR1, tre10 and 3 others like this.
    06-03-14 02:41 AM
    It's sad to see that Apple isn't innovative anymore, right now, they're just improving on their actual product, no innovation in years...

But well, if they offer the features that make BlackBerry good, I'd totally switch platforms. (I don't care about security and the NSA btw)

Posted via CB10
    Roman... got your point
    06-03-14 02:52 AM
    Since the BlackBerry market share is easily below 5% and the ios market share is huuuge, it's gonna come out exactly as you say! Everyone is going to think apple invented all of these awesome features and is going to earn the credits for it!

And I can promise you the will celebrate this features!

Nevertheless this is confirming me once again, that BlackBerry is by far the best operating system out there!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    if samsung copies something from ios they pay a lot of money. maybe its time for ios to pay for blackberry..

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 03:52 AM
    Thats what apple has been doing since beginning. Copying and stealing others innovation and claiming that they have invented it first.

Posted via CrackBerry App on my Zed 10
    06-03-14 05:36 AM
    BlackBerry spending money on a pervasive marketing campaign would probably be futile at this point.

You can have the best mobile OS on the planet, but if you don't have a solid ecosystem (apps, media, etc.), people won't care.

They'll ask "can it run [name of app]?". If the answer is "no" or "yes, but you have to install a 3rd party app store or find an APK that works", their eyes will glaze over and their brains will immediately start forgetting everything that BlackBerry does right. If the answer is not a straight out "yes", then they're not interested.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    06-03-14 08:09 AM
    Do you seriously think people will go to BlackBerry because they "didn't sell to the NSA"? I'm making this number up but I don't think even the 10% care about security at all.

That only works for enterprises, not for consumers, they just want their instagram, twitter and snapchat.

Posted via CB10
    The important thing is that Blackberry not go down. Corporations, businesses and enterprises rule the world, and politicians cater to them. All have something to hide and value their privacy, therefore there will always be a demand for Blackberry devices.
    And I disagree that only 10% or so people care about privacy.
    A growing number of people are getting increasingly irate about being spied on and I don't think that will stop anytime soon.
    The US has become exactly what we criticized the USSR and China for during the cold war.
    And it's getting worse.
    So yes, I think that a device that does not open all your communications to the NSA most definitely has a growing appeal. But Blackberry does not advertise like Apple or Samsung.
    They make a very good product and I think in the end, their quality will win. They don't spend millions on advertising campaigns. I think Blackberry is very much the quiet underdog.
    06-03-14 08:47 AM
    I believe the key point to all of the IOS features is with the integration into the Apple ecosystem. Whether we like it or not Apple market a number of products that can share the features and make them work seamlessly which must be a big advantage if you own more than one Apple product - the downside is of course that you're locked in. Hopefully BB will look to spread the amazing features of its system across platforms - like BBM on a PC for example?
    Evilguppy and pri79269 like this.
    06-03-14 09:40 AM
    Seeing John's brute force suggests that BlackBerry will likely get an injunction against Apple before they release their iPhone 6 (with iOS 8).
    06-03-14 09:42 AM
    The important thing is that Blackberry not go down. Corporations, businesses and enterprises rule the world, and politicians cater to them. All have something to hide and value their privacy, therefore there will always be a demand for Blackberry devices.
    And I disagree that only 10% or so people care about privacy.
    A growing number of people are getting increasingly irate about being spied on and I don't think that will stop anytime soon.
    The US has become exactly what we criticized the USSR and China for during the cold war.
    And it's getting worse.
    So yes, I think that a device that does not open all your communications to the NSA most definitely has a growing appeal. But Blackberry does not advertise like Apple or Samsung.
    They make a very good product and I think in the end, their quality will win. They don't spend millions on advertising campaigns. I think Blackberry is very much the quiet underdog.
    You say it like the NSA can't monitor whatever people do with their BlackBerry 10 devices... Unless you're on BES, you're any other person, with any other smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 10:24 AM
    Erm,,,,,1 MILLION DOLLARS!?!?!?!

Geez guy. Ya sure? That's a lot of scratch. Apple probably made 9 times that in the time it took me to draw breath just now.

(I kid. Not trying to be mean but that was funny. Cheers!)
    You probably don't understand about ambush marketing. What is your field and background? How much is 30 seconds during the super bowl? Why would I spend more than a million to create a buzz? It's cheap, few thousands many magazines would write about it.
    06-03-14 10:47 AM

Friend: Noooooo!!! This is a first of its kind!!! Come, see!!!

Z30 - The BlackBerry Experience
    From an iPhone user, you shouldn't call anyone this dumb your friend, it's embarrassing. I can count on 1 hand how many users over on the Apple forums actually believe Apple is the first to introduce these features. Honestly, you need better friends...

The media, and people on other platform forums are the ONLY PEOPLE using the word innovate. No one innovates anymore it's done, let it die....
    06-03-14 10:55 AM
    Thats why BBRY need a smart guy to speak out loud and clear to the world that all features in other platforms already in BB10 OS. Blackberry way of making people connected to each other.
    06-03-14 11:03 AM
    Whether we like it or not Apple market a number of products that can share the features and make them work seamlessly which must be a big advantage if you own more than one Apple product - the downside is of course that you're locked in.
    As a Mac user I can say that it is very practical and it is very disappointing to lose any aspect of that once you decide to replace one of your devices. After four months of BlackBerry 10, I can quite comfortably say that BlackBerry is just not on par with the experience I’ve had with iOS. Most of my criticisms have been addressed, in particular the lack of interoperability between apps. They’ve made some huge announcements for developers, I haven’t seen that much excitement in years. Apple may have borrowed a lot of features from other systems this time, but that doesn’t stop iOS from being even more awesome. Since BlackBerry is planning to get rid of its beautiful design now too, I am eyeing for a return to iOS. The upcoming months will be very interesting, if BlackBerry shows what it has to offer.
    06-03-14 11:09 AM
    I'm not sure you've yet seen iOS 7. Half of what you listed is already in iOS.

Hey friends,

Right now, I'm watching the Apple Event 2014 and I'm kinda pi*** off.

Don't get me wrong, I respect Apple as an very successful company.

But there are things on iOS8, which make me kinda angry:

1.) iOS8 gets "toast notifications", just like BB OS10 and you are able to answer them right on the top of the display.
    Just like the ones from BBM or WhatsApp on OS10.

2.) iOS8 gets a gesture somehow like the Hub from Blackberry, where you can check new mails right from an app and can reply - if you want to...

3.) iOS8 gets BBM-like group chats, voice mails & you can share you location within the chat.

4.) iOS8 gets "the same" word prediction like we have it on the BB OS10 Q10 - and it's also able to learn who you text.
    They even showed an old Blackberry Curve to that as reference.

5.) iOS8 gets a preview of notifications on the lockscreen, like we got with BB OS 10.2.1 and you are also able to open them right from the lockscreen.

6.) Now they offer an Enterprise server...

Now, that makes me angry and sad - because people now will say that this are Apple's innovations...

What do you say to that?
    I think they wanna totally kick out Blackberry with that...

06-03-14 11:26 AM
    Hey friends,

Right now, I'm watching the Apple Event 2014 and I'm kinda pi*** off.

Don't get me wrong, I respect Apple as an very successful company.

But there are things on iOS8, which make me kinda angry:

1.) iOS8 gets "toast notifications", just like BB OS10 and you are able to answer them right on the top of the display.
    Just like the ones from BBM or WhatsApp on OS10.

2.) iOS8 gets a gesture somehow like the Hub from Blackberry, where you can check new mails right from an app and can reply - if you want to...

3.) iOS8 gets BBM-like group chats, voice mails & you can share you location within the chat.

4.) iOS8 gets "the same" word prediction like we have it on the BB OS10 Q10 - and it's also able to learn who you text.
    They even showed an old Blackberry Curve to that as reference.

5.) iOS8 gets a preview of notifications on the lockscreen, like we got with BB OS 10.2.1 and you are also able to open them right from the lockscreen.

6.) Now they offer an Enterprise server...

Now, that makes me angry and sad - because people now will say that this are Apple's innovations...

What do you say to that?
    I think they wanna totally kick out Blackberry with that...

Yeah Apple sure knows how to own it!!
    06-03-14 11:30 AM
    When Apple users telling me their "new" features.
    My Thoughts on iOS8 & How it Impacts BlackBerry-928634e83633c7bf985c9612e8782a0ecebcf1afc1994d427ba8f4c4f4a6e049.jpg
    06-03-14 11:50 AM
    I believe the key point to all of the IOS features is with the integration into the Apple ecosystem. Whether we like it or not Apple market a number of products that can share the features and make them work seamlessly which must be a big advantage if you own more than one Apple product - the downside is of course that you're locked in.
    This is probably what Apple has done better than anyone else, and it's brilliant from a business perspective. They've built in very high exit barriers, making it difficult -- if not downright unpleasant, depending on how deeply entrenched you are into their ecosystem -- to change platforms. It's not necessarily a bad thing as long as it works for you. But usually it's more than just buying a new and different phone on a whim -- they've made it so you really have to think long and hard about leaving for a different platform, much more so than any other manufacturer. Don't think that happened by accident. M$ did much the same thing with Windows on desktop PC's and laptops. But unlike Apple, M$ is pure evil.
    06-03-14 12:23 PM
    credit where due for sure, Apple nailed it this year (as far as iPhones go. Still not my cup of tea even with the improvements), while BB continues to struggle as it has for years now.
    Am I the only one who finds it curious that only WPC and Crackberry members are the ones gnashing their teeth about this with tons of posts while AC is more or less indifferent about iOS8? I'm getting the impression that people are more or less taking the stance that iOS showing an upside just peeves them off about their own OS of choice and are bashing it to downplay it. This update is being very well received everywhere else. The amount of attention you guys are paying to this is testament in itself that this update is a pretty big deal. Nobody was trending topics about BB10.x over at iMore, AC, or even WPC for that matter
    06-03-14 01:13 PM
    What Apple is doing does not impact BlackBerry.

What BlackBerry is not doing is what you need to be concerned about.
    06-03-14 03:50 PM
163 ... 34567