06-14-14 11:52 PM
163 ... 23456 ...
tools
    BB by FAR did not invent instant messaging. To believe so is folly...

As well, it would be the very rare person who would ever proclaim iMessage was a pioneer or first in instant messaging.

One of the biggest faux pas in the mobile industry is by BB users. Every BB loyalist seems to be under the impression that BBM was a pioneer in instant messaging. To this very day, many BB loyalists insist that BBM paved the way towards instant messaging. That's actually very untrue. BBM re-invented the wheel. Tough pill to swallow, but it's true. There was a plethora of instant messaging alternatives before BBM ever came around. The only thing that made BBM popular was because it was built into BBRY devices that dominated the market. The functionality wasn't any better. The features weren't any better (actually, other IM solutions like Yahoo, Google Talk, even AOL IM, had more features). BB just happened to be popular at the time as a mobile solution because the mobile market was dominated by Blackberry.

To be quite frank about it... BB was not a pioneer in the Instant Messaging department. They basically re-invented the wheel when there was plenty of other options available. Oddly, the current (at the time) IM solutions chose not to press into the industry until much later (which to this day is baffling). BBM just happened to be convenient at the time, and preinstalled on devices that happened to dominate the market at the time. Anybody who's been around long enough, knows that BBM's notoriety was just that... notoriety. Nothing exceptional, nothing special, and no better than any other IM solution. There is absolutely nothing about BBM that was innovative as an Instant Messenger that hadn't already been accomplished by any other instant messenger. I challenge anybody today to provide one item of BBM that is a success, that hadn't already been accomplished by another Instant Messenger.
    I still have my ICQ number memorized .
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    06-02-14 08:12 PM
    An IRC trumped them all
    06-02-14 08:15 PM
    Well to me now I have even less BlackBerry features to impress or sway my iphone using buddies to switch over. It's looking so bleak for BlackBerry. And the ios8 update is gonna push for everyone simultaneously. Apple is on fire. My upgrade is in jan 2015. It will take a whole lot to stick with BlackBerry now. Is security and physical keyboard the only thing BlackBerry has left that is different? It's a shame...

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 08:19 PM
    A number of those items listed weren't innovations by BB either, but somehow I doubt anybody on this forum was self deprecating enough to criticize BB from lifting those ideas themselves.

I wouldn't hold anything against Apple for it. And I'm anything but an Apple fan.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    Seriously? You're actually forgetting all the squawking about everything in BB10 that was 'lifted' from WebOS? There was plenty of criticism. And there still is.
    06-02-14 08:32 PM
    Apple enterprises servers will not be available on Blackberry ( forget andriod or windows , enterprises don't use them) but vice versa . Thus blackberry will remain an niche player in enterprises market.
    06-02-14 08:42 PM
    Seriously? You're actually forgetting all the squawking about everything in BB10 that was 'lifted' from WebOS? There was plenty of criticism. And there still is.
    Except that the "squawking" about it being lifted from WebOS was not out of self deprecation or recognition that BB10 lifted ideas from other platforms by the BB/CB fanbase, but rather by others who were instantly labeled by many as trolls simply for correcting the misinformation. Instead of recognizing credit toward other platforms for incorporated features, those features were being touted by the CB community as being "innovative" and new to the industry. So essentially, history is repeating itself.
    06-02-14 09:02 PM
    BB by FAR did not invent instant messaging. To believe so is folly...

As well, it would be the very rare person who would ever proclaim iMessage was a pioneer or first in instant messaging.

One of the biggest faux pas in the mobile industry is by BB users. Every BB loyalist seems to be under the impression that BBM was a pioneer in instant messaging. To this very day, many BB loyalists insist that BBM paved the way towards instant messaging. That's actually very untrue. BBM re-invented the wheel. Tough pill to swallow, but it's true. There was a plethora of instant messaging alternatives before BBM ever came around. The only thing that made BBM popular was because it was built into BBRY devices that dominated the market. The functionality wasn't any better. The features weren't any better (actually, other IM solutions like Yahoo, Google Talk, even AOL IM, had more features). BB just happened to be popular at the time as a mobile solution because the mobile market was dominated by Blackberry.

To be quite frank about it... BB was not a pioneer in the Instant Messaging department. They basically re-invented the wheel when there was plenty of other options available. Oddly, the current (at the time) IM solutions chose not to press into the industry until much later (which to this day is baffling). BBM just happened to be convenient at the time, and preinstalled on devices that happened to dominate the market at the time. Anybody who's been around long enough, knows that BBM's notoriety was just that... notoriety. Nothing exceptional, nothing special, and no better than any other IM solution. There is absolutely nothing about BBM that was innovative as an Instant Messenger that hadn't already been accomplished by any other instant messenger. I challenge anybody today to provide one item of BBM that is a success, that hadn't already been accomplished by another Instant Messenger.
    Lol what a moment for you. You quoted the only person I can remember suggesting BlackBerry created instant messaging. I will say BBM was better than most. But good for you for solving this caper and setting the record straight.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 09:06 PM
    Except that the "squawking" about it being lifted from WebOS was not out of self deprecation or recognition that BB10 lifted ideas from other platforms by the BB/CB fanbase, but rather by others who were instantly labeled by many as trolls simply for correcting the misinformation. Instead of recognizing credit toward other platforms for incorporated features, those features were being touted by the CB community as being "innovative" and new to the industry. So essentially, history is repeating itself.
    I think your memory is a little selective and to be honest BlackBerry 10 took more from meego than any other OS in my opinion. And why would users of a platform express self deprecation for using it?

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 09:07 PM
    **** apple. All of us must go to apple facebook page and write don't copy from BlackBerry

Posted Via My Lovely Red Q5
    06-02-14 09:14 PM
    I think your memory is a little selective and to be honest BlackBerry 10 took more from meego than any other OS in my opinion. And why would users of a platform express self deprecation for using it?

Posted via CB10
    It's not selective memory on my part. It's a phenomena that's run rampant on this forum for far longer than most here can remember. And perhaps self deprecation is a bit of a strong term... but the point remains... CB fans will forego admitting to their favored platform having copied from competing platforms, to the point that they convince themselves that BB created many features that they actually didn't, and yet will turn around and quickly criticize another platform who dares to incorporate those same features that BB lifted themselves. If anything... THAT is selective memory.
    techvisor and tack like this.
    06-02-14 09:17 PM
    It's not selective memory on my part. It's a phenomena that's run rampant on this forum for far longer than most here can remember. And perhaps self deprecation is a bit of a strong term... but the point remains... CB fans will forego admitting to their favored platform having copied from competing platforms, to the point that they convince themselves that BB created many features that they actually didn't, and yet will turn around and quickly criticize another platform who dares to incorporate those same features that BB lifted themselves. If anything... THAT is selective memory.
    Well I'm a BlackBerry fan without a doubt and I'm very happy BlackBerry took from meego because I think it's a great OS. I'm not sure how that impacts your thesis but I'm sure you'll soldier forward.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 09:26 PM
    Oh I added this to another thread seems they have discovered this 'new feature'
    My Thoughts on iOS8 & How it Impacts BlackBerry-img_20140602_211637.png

Z10 leaked
    06-02-14 09:30 PM
    It's funny. I have been reading tech analysis of the Apple keynote all evening and while there is plenty of criticism that some of this stuff isn't new, none of them mention Blackberry as the original source of any of this innovation.
    06-02-14 09:31 PM
    As fans of every platform do. And it's not only about what is incorporated, but how it is incorporated. Nothing new here, nothing unique to CB, and certainly nothing worth calling out a whole community about. You can cool the rhetoric.
    06-02-14 09:32 PM
    You simply can't patent these things. I suggest Chen to call lawyers and the best marketing thinking heads to promote a great ambush marketing and make a deep wound to Apple's reputation. I would spend up to 1 million dollars and promote a great buzz in all specialized media and even national wide television.
    06-02-14 09:44 PM
    I still have my ICQ number memorized .
    If ICQ is instant messenger then human voice is instant messaging too
    ICQ required a PC to send and receive messages and human voice requires short distance between speakers.
    SMS maybe was a truly instant messenger, others - meh.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 09:56 PM
    It's not about who does it first...it's about who does it best.
    06-02-14 10:14 PM
    Apple steals everything, but the know how to market tech. BlackBerry needs to watch an learn..n

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 10:37 PM
    This reminds of when I was in high school, I had a "friend" who would let me go after the girl first. Let me fail miserably and then see what I did wrong and then turn around do the exact same thing but better or learn from.my mistakes and gets the girl while she thinks he's the sweetest guy ever.
    Pissed me off when it was about the girl
    And it annoys me now that's it's about phones

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 11:56 PM
    Picture this!

Been trying to convince my friend to come on board of BB10 for a while showing him all the features we have from 10.2 to 10.2.1 to the unreleased 10.3 hybrid I'm running at the moment.

Here's what I think our future conversation will go like.

Friend: hey, shorski. How's it going?
    Me: been great. How's your day?
    Friend: enjoying every bit of it. Come take a look at my new improved iphone 5s.
    Me: what's new?
    Friend: (then he blabs about all the new features)
    Me: but these are the features I've been asking you to test out on BB10
    Friend: Noooooo!!! This is a first of its kind!!! Come, see!!!
    Me: (then I get p***** off)

Z30 - The BlackBerry Experience
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-03-14 12:11 AM
    You simply can't patent these things. I suggest Chen to call lawyers and the best marketing thinking heads to promote a great ambush marketing and make a deep wound to Apple's reputation. I would spend up to 1 million dollars and promote a great buzz in all specialized media and even national wide television.
    Erm,,,,,1 MILLION DOLLARS!?!?!?!

Geez guy. Ya sure? That's a lot of scratch. Apple probably made 9 times that in the time it took me to draw breath just now.

(I kid. Not trying to be mean but that was funny. Cheers!)
    06-03-14 12:21 AM
    Let Apple copy and take credit all they want... there's ONE thing they have done that Blackberry hasn't:
    Selling out to the NSA.
    Blackberry should capitalize on that and use it as a marketing angle.
    In this day and age where people are talking about putting duct tape on their device cameras to avoid being spied on, a company that emphasizes customer privacy would gain a lot of customers.
    IF Blackberry were more vocal about that.
    06-03-14 12:52 AM
    Do you seriously think people will go to BlackBerry because they "didn't sell to the NSA"? I'm making this number up but I don't think even the 10% care about security at all.

That only works for enterprises, not for consumers, they just want their instagram, twitter and snapchat.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 01:02 AM
    What bugs me most is the ignorance and arrogance when it comes to the whole "Yes Apple totally did invent that"
    Makes me sad and angry.

Sry I just have to post that, to remind me.

But the thing is tech companies rarely invent new stuff that turns your life around from one day to another.
    The whole market has become a big fat copy cat, innovating is not that easy obviously especially when big companies
    don't think out of their boxes.

So my point for BlackBerry is, they need to push out their stuff within the next 2-3 month. Be there before Apple drops their stuff on the market. And be better where you can.
    - Apple does sms and email from desktop? Give us full hub access to every app integrated.
    - Apple has instant notifications now? Vamp up and optimize our notifications.
    Give us some stuff to shine in a head to head productivity comparison that would be great
    06-03-14 01:41 AM
    Lol what a moment for you. You quoted the only person I can remember suggesting BlackBerry created instant messaging. I will say BBM was better than most. But good for you for solving this caper and setting the record straight.

Posted via CB10
    I NEVER said that Blackberry invented instant messaging!

What I said was that it was pioneer how they integrated in their mobile OS.

It was native integrated.

That's all I said - and it was there almost a decade before iMessage.
    And my point to that was, that many iOS user are thinking that BBM is a copy of iMessage.

And I say it once again:
    I never said that Blackberry invented IM - please read better instead of trolling.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 01:43 AM
163 ... 23456 ...