06-15-14 12:52 AM
163 12345 ...
tools
    BlackBerry can be innovator of all of these items listed and that's great. Sadly no one knows about it because unlike Apple, they don't toot their horn with marketing.

It's not the be all solution but it would definitely help.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 05:21 PM
    AGREE! All Apple has to do is to show these features... Everybody assumes that Apple invented them even though Apple did not make that claim! I am a Blackberry guy, but even I have to admit that it is a great marketing strategy!
    Slash82 likes this.
    06-02-14 05:32 PM
    AGREE! All Apple has to do is to show these features... Everybody assumes that Apple invented them even though Apple did not make that claim! I am a Blackberry guy, but even I have to admit that it is a great marketing strategy!
    That's what I was trying to say all the time!
    Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 05:36 PM
    The sad thing is that BBRY couldn't sell these features with months of advantage, right now BBRY must somehow say hey we came up with those things first and the market will say who cares as long as my iPhone gets it.
    06-02-14 05:43 PM
    Sadly BlackBerry isn't even on the radar for 95% plus of the population. Unless BlackBerry comes up with a miracle app or function that will never change. It was game over for BlackBerry when they delayed BB10 for a year back in 2012.

Apple will get credit for these "apple innovations". That is life.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. I did read lots of tweets / articles pointing out that ios8 was bringing new features similar to android and win phone. Not one mentioned BlackBerry. I had to come here for that

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 05:45 PM
    it's been on other devices for a very long time, windows phone, android and even palm all had this literally over 5 years ago. I'm really looking forward to the next group of BB phones, but it's still obviously catch up for them. The things that Apple and Google and Microsoft are setting up are way past what we're anticipating with BB10. So much so it's not really worth comparing. BB can't compete with them, probably will never be able to.
    Android added that in 4.2

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 05:58 PM
    What has Apple invented? These guys invited Apple techs to submit...

06-02-14 06:02 PM
    These are significant and substantial updates for Apple, no question.

Whether they are truly innovative is another question entirely.

But the bottom line is: they have taken away several more reasons for people to choose BlackBerry or another one of their competitors.

And while Samsung and Microsoft have truck loads of cash to sit on while they catch up, BlackBerry does not.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    06-02-14 06:15 PM
    Hey friends,

Right now, I'm watching the Apple Event 2014 and I'm kinda pi*** off.

Don't get me wrong, I respect Apple as an very successful company.

But there are things on iOS8, which make me kinda angry:

1.) iOS8 gets "toast notifications", just like BB OS10 and you are able to answer them right on the top of the display.
    Just like the ones from BBM or WhatsApp on OS10.

2.) iOS8 gets a gesture somehow like the Hub from Blackberry, where you can check new mails right from an app and can reply - if you want to...

3.) iOS8 gets BBM-like group chats, voice mails & you can share you location within the chat.

4.) iOS8 gets "the same" word prediction like we have it on the BB OS10 Q10 - and it's also able to learn who you text.
    They even showed an old Blackberry Curve to that as reference.

5.) iOS8 gets a preview of notifications on the lockscreen, like we got with BB OS 10.2.1 and you are also able to open them right from the lockscreen.

6.) Now they offer an Enterprise server...

Now, that makes me angry and sad - because people now will say that this are Apple's innovations...

What do you say to that?
    I think they wanna totally kick out Blackberry with that...

I’m sorry, but many of these were already in iOS in some form or another or features that could have easily been taken from other operating systems or tweaks. For instance:
    • iOS has had targetable lock screen notifications for years. iOS 8 makes them actionable now, which BlackBerry 10 can’t;
    • quick responding to notifications has been a feature of BiteSMS, an old and well-known app among jailbreakers;
    • word-prediction algorithms are widespread and have been implemented into almost every mobile OS now (iOS is actually late with this one);
    • group chats have been part of plenty of social apps, most notably Whatsapp; and
    • the ‘glympse’ feature (location sharing) has been present in the form of a separate app called Find my Friends (released in 2011).

That Apple now more aggressively targets enterprise customers is no surprise, they’ve been doing that for a couple of years now. Everyone copies from each other. The only thing I could blame Apple for is their arrogance and their dishonesty.
    xandermac and machzk like this.
    06-02-14 06:17 PM
    I have a few I Sheep where I work. My boss especially... every time a new iPhone comes out, "something" breaks or goes horribly wrong with it, so she needs a new one. Next time I see her, she has a good sense of humor, I'll offer to show her in real time what iOS8 can do. Open the tutorial on my BBZ30 and let her play with it and tell her that us BlackBerry folk have had 80% of what iOS8 and then some, for over a year now.

You can not be told what BB10 OS is, you have to see it for yourself. (borrowed for The Matrix)
    06-02-14 06:22 PM
    Im sorry, but many of these were already in iOS in some form or another or features that could have easily been taken from other operating systems or tweaks. For instance, iOS has had targetable lock screen notifications for years (iOS 8 makes them actionable, which BlackBerry 10 cant); quick responding to notifications has been a feature of BiteSMS, an old and well-known app among jailbreakers; word-prediction algorithms are widespread and have been implemented into almost every mobile OS now (iOS is actually late with this one); group chats have been part of plenty of social apps, most notably Whatsapp; and the glympse feature (location sharing) has been present in the form of a separate app called Find my Friends (released in 2011). That Apple now more aggressively targets enterprise customers is no surprise, theyve been doing that for a couple of years now.

Everyone copies from each other. The only thing I could blame Apple for is their arrogance.
    Who gives a **** about apps? We're talking about the OS itself supporting it! Quick respond wasn't on IOS even if you argue till next year!

Posted via CB10
    They going to say they came out with all those features first and most people will think it is true.
    Exactly!! And that's what makes me angry & sad!
    Blackberry did an awesome job and very hard work on that - and it's genius!
    Well, BBRY just have to come up with a marketing strategy that says something to the effect: "BlackBerry - so good others have no choice but to follow."
    That's just how it goes: Apple got the eco system right, got some good hardware and has the knowhow to sell this stuff to the crowd and bond them to the brand. BB might be able to come up with some good stuff, but then yet again, the lack of marketing etc makes that people don't catch up with that except for men and women who come to community sites like this.
    Every step Apple takes with there hardware or software goes around the globe like a running fire. Everybody hears or reads about it. When BB comes out with something new, you got to dig for the news. And THAT is what the problem is.
    anon8830832 likes this.
    Who gives a **** about apps? We're talking about the OS itself supporting it! Quick respond wasn't on IOS even if you argue till next year!
    It matters a hell of a lot when people pretend as if Apple had copied from BlackBerry. I’ve given some examples that these features are much more widespread and supported that neither Apple nor BlackBerry could lay a claim on it. Apple can be very douchey about the origin of ‘their’ features, but that doesn’t mean that they’ve taken things from BlackBerry or from any other particular company for that matter.
    06-02-14 06:26 PM
    No one cares, Apple will sell it because they will deliver it when they say they will, tie it into their ecosystem, and market it. Blackberry can develop it first and then everything else falls to pieces, It will be late, and even when ready the update will not be available unless you load a leaked OS, they'll be no ecosystem to tie it to, and no one will know anything about it anyway.
    Well said. Let's be real here... BlackBerry might introduce a feature, but Apple really perfects it (sometimes). Their notifications are years ahead of BB10 (accepting to meeting invites, responding to FB messages, emails, etc.).. it made me say "I wish my BlackBerry did that."

I love my Z10 but their improvements have made it very difficult to see BlackBerry making much headway in the consumer OR enterprise markets from here on out. They also introduced a new invocation framework for developers ("extensions") and tons of API's as well.

What does our BlackBerry do that a new iPhone 6 with iOS 8 doesn't? The Hub may be one of the only remaining features which probably isn't enough to keep people interested much longer. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    tack likes this.
    06-02-14 06:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Pretty much everyone that chooses another phone instead of a BB10 device...
    06-02-14 06:40 PM
    Hey friends,

1.) iOS8 gets "toast notifications", just like BB OS10 and you are able to answer them right on the top of the display.

2.) iOS8 gets a gesture somehow like the Hub from Blackberry, where you can check new mails right from an app and can reply - if you want to...

3.) iOS8 gets BBM-like group chats, voice mails & you can share you location within the chat.

4.) iOS8 gets "the same" word prediction like we have it on the BB OS10 Q10 - and it's also able to learn who you text.

5.) iOS8 gets a preview of notifications on the lockscreen, like we got with BB OS 10.2.1 and you are also able to open them right from the lockscreen.

Now, that makes me angry and sad - because people now will say that this are Apple's innovations...

What do you say to that?

The thing is these features will be available to the public in fall of this year,,, and we already know what IOS -8 is bringing to the public, after this week, the public will be well informed about IOS-8 and all it's features, can we say the same for Blackberry and OS-10.3?????
    06-02-14 07:03 PM
    But just ask around who invented instant messaging many people (and most Apple users - who are world wide one of the biggest group) will tell you iMessage was there before BBM.

Many switched to a smartphone the past 2-3 years - so they only know what happened from then on.
    BB by FAR did not invent instant messaging. To believe so is folly...

As well, it would be the very rare person who would ever proclaim iMessage was a pioneer or first in instant messaging.

One of the biggest faux pas in the mobile industry is by BB users. Every BB loyalist seems to be under the impression that BBM was a pioneer in instant messaging. To this very day, many BB loyalists insist that BBM paved the way towards instant messaging. That's actually very untrue. BBM re-invented the wheel. Tough pill to swallow, but it's true. There was a plethora of instant messaging alternatives before BBM ever came around. The only thing that made BBM popular was because it was built into BBRY devices that dominated the market. The functionality wasn't any better. The features weren't any better (actually, other IM solutions like Yahoo, Google Talk, even AOL IM, had more features). BB just happened to be popular at the time as a mobile solution because the mobile market was dominated by Blackberry.

To be quite frank about it... BB was not a pioneer in the Instant Messaging department. They basically re-invented the wheel when there was plenty of other options available. Oddly, the current (at the time) IM solutions chose not to press into the industry until much later (which to this day is baffling). BBM just happened to be convenient at the time, and preinstalled on devices that happened to dominate the market at the time. Anybody who's been around long enough, knows that BBM's notoriety was just that... notoriety. Nothing exceptional, nothing special, and no better than any other IM solution. There is absolutely nothing about BBM that was innovative as an Instant Messenger that hadn't already been accomplished by any other instant messenger. I challenge anybody today to provide one item of BBM that is a success, that hadn't already been accomplished by another Instant Messenger.
    06-02-14 07:19 PM
    All of those up and coming awesome features for iphone users. Too bad you are locked into their eco system and itunes. Too bad the reception is non existent, compared to BB. They should learn to build a phone for a phone first! Something BB will never have to worry about
    06-02-14 07:58 PM
    All of those up and coming awesome features for iphone users. Too bad you are locked into their eco system and itunes. Too bad the reception is non existent, compared to BB. They should learn to build a phone for a phone first! Something BB will never have to worry about
    Frankly, BB would love to "worry about" the market share and customer base Apple has right now.
    zjxpot likes this.
    06-02-14 08:07 PM
    Hate apple all you want they could buy blackberry 1000 times over and still be pocket change for them.

No marketing no sales. Blackberry is dead last for a reason, regardless if the OS is good or not. They made so many mistakes with the release. Also we are for sale not for sale was the stupidiest move they could have done.

Blackberry needs to take lessons from apple how to market hype. All we had was a lame Super Bowl commercial and some print ads.

Hard to market something BlackBerry themselves don't know what the heck to make. All touch, keyboard. Ok keyboard and a tool belt..

Pick 2 and make them well. All these different models, screen sizes etc creates fragmentation. You know you're in trouble when android apps easily ported over, developers couldn't be bothered.

Enterprise is their only saving grace, how much life it gives them remains to be seen. BlackBerry is still bleeding cash!
    06-02-14 08:10 PM
    The biggest feature that looked cool to me was that you can totally use the phone from your computer. That's a big deal, nobody has really done that properly yet, BlackBerry appears to be working on it, but now Apple has done it, and done it well. I don't see myself ever getting another iOS device, but the fact that you can answer a phone call your phone is getting or send an SMS from your phone using only your computer, even if it's not in the room, is pretty awesome. That's major productivity gains there.
    As a Google Voice user, I've been doing that for almost 4 years already.
    06-02-14 08:15 PM
    As a Google Voice user, I've been doing that for almost 4 years already.
    heh, yeah, that's true, I do too, but it's a bit of a hodgepodge to do it like that. Are you using a 3rd party application to do it or just from the browser? they're dropping support for much of that feature.
    06-02-14 08:24 PM
    Hey friends,

What do you say to that?

This notion that iOS8 announcement pissing you off and sensibilities of brand loyalty really have come to annoy or better yet unnerve me.

1. Did YOU ... yes YOU create or work on BB10 directly within Blackberry?!
    - MOST LIKELY NOT!

2. DID you SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED SPINACH to promote BlackBerry 10 as a contractor, self, or otherwise?!
    - Again MOST LIKELY NOT!

3. Did you attend WWDC and speak out directly at Apple staff or developers attending?!

NO AGAIN MOST LIKELY NOT!

THE FACT IS THIS: Only Kevin and other major contributors or founds of Mobile Nations have done #1 that I've listed above and UNTIL such and time YOU have ... then you have NO RIGHT to be pissed off ... you didn't have any direct or indirectly related hand in BB10's development nor advertisement that YOU have PAID for!

So ... be a real fan .. get off your high horse and LOOK at how friendly competition CAN improve Blackberry and BlackBerry 10 ... quite frankly I do NOT THINK BlackBerry has ANY patent on ANY of these features you, me or anyone feels is a blatant rip-off ... and until such time BlackBerry will have to tuck it's nuts, suck it up, and LEARN from this stupid mistake!
    bbq10l likes this.
    06-02-14 08:35 PM
    heh, yeah, that's true, I do too, but it's a bit of a hodgepodge to do it like that. Are you using a 3rd party application to do it or just from the browser? they're dropping support for much of that feature.
    I do it with Google Chrome extension for Hangouts. It not hodgepodge at all.
    06-02-14 08:46 PM
163 12345 ...