So I have a little blog about BB as well and figured I'd share my thoughts on today's foul about BlackBerry sending out the tweet from an iPhone. Here's the link here: http://wp.me/p5zmNq-N

But here's the article as well:

Today a number of sites and newspapers are reporting that BlackBerry has sent out a tweet but it was since via an iPhone and not a BlackBerry device! Heaven forbid! How could the original smart phone manufacturer even allow an employee carry a competitors device? Let alone have access to the companys Twitter account. If you look at the image to the right you will see what the whole fuss is all about. At the bottom of the tweet there it is plain as day via Twitter for iPhone. The tweet has since been deleted and others are saying that someone obviously lost their job today. Which is quite possible. But what is truly at play here?

So how could someone who works for BlackBerry even carry an iPhone, since the company and its employees are supposed to think that their device is the best. Its not because there is no Twitter app for BB10, in fact theres been a Twitter App for BB10 since launch and even a large number of clients, such as Blaq and Tweetly. Heck, BB10 can even run Instagram on its 10.3.1 OS. So its not an App or OS issue. The reason goes directly back to BlackBerrys roots, or one of them.

On 21 October 2013, BlackBerry launched BBM cross-platform. Meaning that was available for Android and iOS users. Additionally, on 13 November 2014, BlackBerry rolled out its BBM Meetings app. Basically a spin-off of BBM it allows cross-platform web conferencing on mobile devices. So what does this have to do with someone tweeting official BlackBerry tweets from an iPhone? Everything.

Apps like BBM and BBM Meetings are resource intensive apps to create, manage and run. In addition to the long developmental period there is often a long trial period to test the app out. This is where the iPhone comes in. BlackBerry has had a number of employees using other devices for a while in tests of both BBM and BBM Meetings. The person who tweeted for the company is likely to be apart of this group. BlackBerry has shown that it is committed to cross-platform BBM and therefore will continue to employ other devices in efforts to improve the app.

Now with that being said:
    was this a mistake? YES
    does it look bad on the company? YES
    should BlackBerry clarify it? Sure why not?
    does it need to be a big deal? God no

That is my take on this whole situation. Whats yours?
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    01-13-15 05:18 PM
    Don't be naive. The article has over 1000 RTs. People are making a big deal of it, whether or not you think it should be. The optics are awful, as you've said.

News outlets take mixed news, like the latest quarterly report, and spin it into BlackBerry is doing worse than ever. That was the bloody CBC's stance last month. One Canadian institution to another. Others are less kind than that, as you well know.

How do you think these same outlets will report something like this, which had absolutely zero upside?

It's blood in the water, regardless of the merit to this stupid story.

Posted via CB10
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-13-15 06:12 PM
    Oh I am far from naive... I can totally see how this can blow up in their face, well basically is. Just my viewpoint on how and why it happened that's all.
    01-13-15 06:16 PM
    Your viewpoint is valid, but remember how few BlackBerry faithful there are vs how many people enjoy seeing the company falter. For every 1 of us, there's 50 of them.

In other words, all the perspective and rationalization you can manage doesn't matter, because the haters aren't even remotely interested in that sort of thing. You're preaching to the choir. The haters don't likely read your blog, and only see another misstep, which they gleefully hold up as another reason why friends and loved ones shouldn't buy another BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    scmcc16 likes this.
    01-13-15 06:20 PM
    My first thoughts were of the "chuckle, but no big deal variety". Since I read posts on stories saying "not even BlackBerry use BlackBerries any more". It adds fuel to an already burning fire. I doubt Mr Chen is laughing.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    01-13-15 06:23 PM
    I doubt Mr Chen is laughing.
    I am quite certain he has dropped a few f-bombs to people, lol.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    01-13-15 06:26 PM
    The thing you have to realize is that the company's Twitter feed is a big part of their marketing arm. And little undermines a company's marketing efforts than to be seen using their competitor's products while simultaneously trying to convince people that their own products are better. From a tech point of view, this means very little, but from a marketing point of view, it's a disaster, and that is why it is making news.
    01-14-15 09:17 AM
    but from a marketing point of view, it's a disaster, and that is why it is making news.
    Completely agree
    01-14-15 09:42 AM
    My take is who cares if someone tweeted from an iPhone at blackberry. Let's stop being so insecure people or either with the platform or not so it doesn't matter.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 09:53 AM
    My take is who cares if someone tweeted from an iPhone at blackberry. Let's stop being so insecure people or either with the platform or not so it doesn't matter.

Posted via CB10
    That 1 tweet from The Verge now has 1370 retweets. To put it in perspective, to be in the top 10 trending on Twitter, a tweet requires between 1200 and 1900 RTs in a 6-hour period of time.

This nearly went viral. Companies spend millions trying to go viral. Damage control when something negative goes viral is impossible.

Let's look at this another way. BlackBerry has 528.51 million shares. If this little mess caused share prices to go down one cent, that means 5.28 million dollars of value disappears. Gone. Poof. New device releases lately have only caused shares to go up a few cents. Good financial reports, same thing. Tens of thousands of hours of hard work goes into a new device, along with millions of dollars. One stupid tweet could wipe that all out by going viral.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 10:34 AM
    It's important enough you went and created another thread on this......
    01-14-15 10:42 AM
    I've been said so many times, there are so many Wall Street crooks short BlackBerry stock. They are afraid if BlackBerry can prove them it can make profits as well as grow revenues quarter after quarter, these crooks will be in deep trouble. Remember, BlackBerry doesn't have to sale 40 or more million phone to make profit or grow revenue, it just have to sale 10 million that's it.
    01-14-15 10:52 AM
    I'm not in the least concerned Blackberry used an iPhone to tweet. It shows that Blackberry is using and getting real experience on competitive devices to make their own products better.

Don't you think it's about time Blackberry moved beyond its own paradigm and started to deliver more competitive products ?
    01-14-15 11:08 AM
    I'm not in the least concerned Blackberry used an iPhone to tweet. It shows that Blackberry is using and getting real experience on competitive devices to make their own products better.
    Deep breath.

Marketing does not do product testing, QA, UI design, or anything else requiring an iPhone. Their job is to market BlackBerry products and services. The "real experience" you're talking about would never benefit the software design group because MARKETING DOESN'T BLOODY WELL REPORT TO ENGINEERING.

Deep breath.

I am a grain of sand at the bottom of the sea. All is calm. All is peaceful.

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 and reeneebob like this.
    01-14-15 11:15 AM