10-16-13 02:46 PM
184 ... 5678
tools
    Uhhh Stephen Elop is going to get $25M to walk away from Nokia after purposely tanking it, and he'll be free to find another high paying executive gig. I don't think it's inconceivable that any of the BB higher ups could/would do the same.
    I 95% guarantee you Elop is the next CEO of Microsoft.

Microsoft hasn't hired an someone from outside the tent for the top floor since John Shirley nearly 30 years ago. It's not going to start now.
    10-02-13 02:37 PM
    Nice try. If they're allowing it, explicit permission isn't needed.
    Nice try. Saying nothing doesn't mean that they will allow it to run. They could shut it down at anytime.
    10-02-13 02:38 PM
    Nice try. Saying nothing doesn't mean that they will allow it to run. They could shut it down at anytime.
    Pretty ironic that there are some parallels with BlackBerry there.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 03:03 PM
    I think the numbers of attendees as well as his "comments" are equally important. I just happened to focus only on his comments in my little commentary.

Let's not forget his title has "relations" in it. Saying this mobile computing pipe dream over and over is not helping developer relations. That why less and less are showing.
    I understand the frustration with what sounds like yet another case of tone-deaf comments from a BB exec.

But the specific comments and the turnout are not equal. And his "mobile computing" sales pitch is not why less and less are showing. The numbers were down before he gave his presentation, and devs are taking their cues from the market, not BB execs.

Developers produce for platforms they are using, platforms with big numbers, and platforms which are growing. BB10 has some of the first, none of the second, and is headed the opposite direction of the third. Certainly he has a role and his role will be evaluated, but in the grand scheme of the company's situation, he's the fruit salesman trying to sell oranges after a drought has obliterated most of the crops.
    10-02-13 03:04 PM
    Title for my next thread:

[opinion] BlackBerry loses 900 million in fiscal q2 2014 [my take, rumor, speculation]
    Should be popular.
    10-02-13 03:17 PM
    Sean you've got no idea. I am from Waterloo. I live in Waterloo. Born in the same hospital has all these RIM execs. I know dozens of people that are in Jeopardy of losing their job at BlackBerry. I have used BlackBerry phones for years. I got the bold 9000, 9900,playbook, and z10 all on the first day they were released. I was ALL OVER these forums around bb10 launch and Very excited. I still use a z10.

Now the numbers are in and I am devastated for my COMMUNITY (not online community, actual community) and I have come to realize what is upon on us. I am not happy.

And you think I don't care about BlackBerry??
    I guess everyone handles their mourning or sadness differently. If I were truly that upset about something that took/will take such a toll on my community, the last thing I'd be doing would be posting criticism everyday that is pretty far from constructive.
    bradu1 and RyanGermann like this.
    10-02-13 04:26 PM
    I'm not sure we can say they are "allowing it"...silence does not necessarily mean approval as they may not know about it plus at this stage it is really just a viewer - you can't upload anything or watch videos, or apply filters. No "real" IG functionality is present yet.
    If you want the API, you have to register your application, then they give the means to make the magic happen. Similar to getting a debug token to sideload Android apps.
    10-02-13 05:05 PM
    See prior post.
    10-02-13 05:06 PM
    If you're wondering what could happen to a BlackBerry developed app when the original owners don't want it developed, you can just look to the YouTube app for Windows Phone. Microsoft made it. Google rejected it.

Beginning of the saga:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phon...indows-phone-8

After it was "blessed", it was still eventually blocked:

"Update: Google has done it again. Check out Microsoft Wins the High Ground in War with Google for an update to this little episode in which Google, once again, is blocking the YouTube app for Windows Phone. --Paul"

Here's what happened when the average user came across it:

YouTube | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

"Only gets one star, not working, not getting sorted, remove it, i hate YT Mobile Site as well as there design, MSFT create your own video sharing website, it properly would be better than YT"

"Not working "

"Keep getting ( something wrong, we are not sure) message"

"Does nothing. Is this a joke app?"

"Everytime I go to open it up it says, Something went wrong, fix it please"

"Doesn't seem to connect whether I'm on WiFi or 3G. This is a real shame as I used YouTube all the time on my old android phone without any problems. Please fix soon.. "

"0 stars, doesn't work, re-installed to double check and still no result...iphone is becoming more&more appealing! Sort it out Microsoft!"

In conclusion, BlackBerry just can't make the app without the approval of the original owners. Further, if they're trying to woo the original owners, they can't be blindsiding them with a BlackBerry developed version. (That's the politics part that was mentioned.)
    10-02-13 05:45 PM
    Marty Mallick is the one who has failed. BB10 isn't doing well because of lack of the big apps. Where is official Skype and now a half assed "Preview". Where is the Instagram they said was coming and now is apparently not coming soon? All we get are excuses or what appear to be lies and half truths. The platform is already on life support now because of the lack of the big ones, other devs won't jump in with the pathetic sales figures. It is looking like BES10 and Android and iOS support in it will probably kill off Bb10 for all but the most secure networks for organizations that don't value apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 06:54 PM
    Marty Mallick is the one who has failed. BB10 isn't doing well because of lack of the big apps. Where is official Skype and now a half assed "Preview". Where is the Instagram they said was coming and now is apparently not coming soon? All we get are excuses or what appear to be lies and half truths. The platform is already on life support now because of the lack of the big ones, other devs won't jump in with the pathetic sales figures. It is looking like BES10 and Android and iOS support in it will probably kill off Bb10 for all but the most secure networks for organizations that don't value apps.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think organisations care about instagram

Q10-Z10-iP5
    10-02-13 07:22 PM
    I don't think organisations care about instagram

Q10-Z10-iP5
    No but they do care about things like Avaya One-X portal full version and not the lite version (full version not coming). Juniper Pulse. Cisco AnyConnect (another one that was shown as comming soon at launch). Multi platform video apps to talk with the corporate video stuff. Just a few examples that all have iOS and Android support. If you look in App World at BlackBerry's own list of "business" apps it really is quite pathetic. The toys appear to have many more business and productivity apps than the supposed tools!

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 07:31 PM
    JAFTF
    10-02-13 08:01 PM
    Really don't get this guy. First check out the CB blog post.

BlackBerry's Alec Saunders: "We're definitely not going away" | CrackBerry.com

A few thoughts from Alec...

"We want people to think of our devices as mobile computing devices. We want them to think of them as a window onto the world around them. We want them to think of them as devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you. "

--once again, "mobile computing". No definition given yet or how it is better than the competition.

--"interact well with other things that are in the real world around you" playing the QNX card again, however have yet to see any real world results or how it differs from competition.

--"do interesting and powerful and useful things for you" what does this even mean? What is this that the competition cannot do?

"When I started with the company in August of 2011, we had just over a billion dollars in cash. Today, we're sitting at $2.7 billion in cash. Still debt-free. ..

--is this really his measure of success???

Seems he is just out to lunch. Thoughts on the article or Alec's statements anyone?
    It's got nutrients.
    10-02-13 09:56 PM
    If you're wondering what could happen to a BlackBerry developed app when the original owners don't want it developed, you can just look to the YouTube app for Windows Phone. Microsoft made it. Google rejected it.

Beginning of the saga:

After it was "blessed", it was still eventually blocked:

"Update: Google has done it again. Check out Microsoft Wins the High Ground in War with Google for an update to this little episode in which Google, once again, is blocking the YouTube app for Windows Phone. --Paul"

Here's what happened when the average user came across it:

YouTube | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

"Only gets one star, not working, not getting sorted, remove it, i hate YT Mobile Site as well as there design, MSFT create your own video sharing website, it properly would be better than YT"

"Not working "

"Keep getting ( something wrong, we are not sure) message"

"Does nothing. Is this a joke app?"

"Everytime I go to open it up it says, Something went wrong, fix it please"

"Doesn't seem to connect whether I'm on WiFi or 3G. This is a real shame as I used YouTube all the time on my old android phone without any problems. Please fix soon.. "

"0 stars, doesn't work, re-installed to double check and still no result...iphone is becoming more&more appealing! Sort it out Microsoft!"

In conclusion, BlackBerry just can't make the app without the approval of the original owners. Further, if they're trying to woo the original owners, they can't be blindsiding them with a BlackBerry developed version. (That's the politics part that was mentioned.)
    As a WP user I can tell you that no matter how much talking you do with them if a company doesn't want to release their app on your platform they won't. This last attempt at a YT client MS & Google were supposedly working together, obviously not that closely & IMO Google never intended to let MS release a YT client with their blessing. The only thing MS should do is remove the App since it doesn't work. The only thing Google & others understand is market share get that and they will grudgingly make an app.
    10-02-13 10:13 PM
    Of course BB Jam happened in Asia with 1000s of devs. It's just like watching pro-wrestling in the 1960s, the hero would disappear from the TV broadcast for 3 weeks and return with some championship belt that he 'won at a tournament in South America'. Except that its 2013 and people have this thing called the internet that we can use to verify things actually happened the way you say they do.

Hundred thousand apps, sure let us just verify that any of them have a prayer of selling a copy.
    This is quite insulting to Asians, as if we're nothing.
    10-03-13 03:57 AM
    This is quite insulting to Asians, as if we're nothing.
    I'm pretty sure he was having a go at the numbers quoted rather than the location.
    10-03-13 03:59 AM
    I'm pretty sure he was having a go at the numbers quoted rather than the location.
    and that itself is even more insulting.

would have it made any difference about how many Asian developers were there?

I recall in another thread somebody even made a remark when mentioned about the number of Asian devs, and a certain poster said "Oh yeah, 33% of those Asian devs are from S4BB!".

Its just plain insulting.

I'll use your words, Kevinnugent: I can take the message If it weren't such patronising, arrogant drivel aimed at lowering Asians / Asian devs / devs of Asian origins.
    10-03-13 04:14 AM

I recall in another thread somebody even made a remark when mentioned about the number of Asian devs, and a certain poster said "Oh yeah, 33% of those Asian devs are from S4BB!".

I'll use your words, Kevinnugent: I can take the message If it weren't such patronising, arrogant drivel aimed at lowering Asians / Asian devs / devs of Asian origins.
    Because S4BB is out of Hong Kong? I don't see the insult. I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'll gladly hit the report button if there's bigotry happening. I don't see that yet, I do see KN trying to explain how the other post wasn't meant to be patronizing. The other poster merely meant that BlackBerry tried to put a little positive spin on their event in a market where they've more traction, away from their most voracious detractors, who found out anyway. That's a smoke and mirrors dance to some folks, and worthy of finger-pointing.

I'll call out racism, sexism, bigotry, and some of the more grievous negative posts, but in this case I'm not seeing it.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 05:02 AM
    He didn't say anything untruthful.
    I don't think that Alec is doing a bad job (that's the device-design team and Thor / Frank who are doing it wrong) but they've been throwing around the "$3 billion in cash and no debt" figure for some time now... I don't think they only had $1 billion in cash in 2011, so that's either selective mis-remembery or... something else.

And since the water is already muddied between what Alec or Marty were responsible for, I think there's value to a BlackBerry internal black-ops development team to build native Instagram / Netflix / heck even Candy Crush, then show it off as proof-of-concept or even leak it, and wait for the vendors to put out the cease and desist orders. That is negative PR that puts the "app gap" in context: it's not BlackBerry's "fault" it's the vendors. A little public shaming of these vendors claiming it's not worth the effort to build the apps, when the app is built and working and it's their call whether or not they block it... it worked for MS it might work for BB, too.
    10-03-13 10:17 AM
    SMH

10-03-13 12:27 PM
    I'll agree with you, Alec's statement are not exactly substantive or inspiring. For those that disagree with us, I will concede that Alec is simply doing what he is paid to do, drum up support from developers and what-not. He's a major spokesperson for the company. But the same old talk is getting tiring.

In the end, I can't really blame Alec. It's the company. They need more ammo, something worth talking about. We really need to start seeing the potential of the platform come to fruition. BlackBerry needs to produce and promote true, differentiating factors while showing they can execute on the basics that consumers expect from every platform.
    10-03-13 04:44 PM
    This thread was wrapped up in the second post. For any sane person, we obviously can realize that Alec is just keeping things positive. Obviously things are not good when you have a billion dollar write down of inventory and are cutting jobs, that is no sign of "positivity". The only good thing out of this whole situation is that BlackBerry as a company still exist. Be happy that it's not a Palm/WebOS scenario.

People also forget that once upon a time, Apple hit rock bottom too.... and now they are one of the top (if not "the" top) companies in the world. Although everything that has happened with BlackBerry absolutely sucks, I hope they live to fight another day.

The Resurgence Cometh
    10-03-13 04:47 PM
    If they do it right, packet sniffing to really get to the root of the data that is being sent from the device to the vendor's servers, how would the vendor know that it's not a native app on Android? When I say "black ops" I MEAN "black ops" not "enthusiastic BB devs with that entrepreneurial spirit".
    10-03-13 09:34 PM
    If they do it right, packet sniffing to really get to the root of the data that is being sent from the device to the vendor's servers, how would the vendor know that it's not a native app on Android? When I say "black ops" I MEAN "black ops" not "enthusiastic BB devs with that entrepreneurial spirit".
    Why hasn't Microsoft been able to do this with YouTube? They're better funded and a huge software company. Maybe the technical aspect is feasible, but what about legal consequences?
    10-04-13 02:51 AM
184 ... 5678