10-16-13 02:46 PM
184 ... 34567 ...
tools
    im sick of being told what the phone "can" do. Why doesn't it do it?
    Right, because Microsoft Windows, Apple OS X, Android and iOS don't need apps and accessories right? They do everything already? They are simply saying they have made it dead easy to develop on their platform. That is all any OS maker does. I don't think you are giving them a fair shake. It's coming off as unreasonable and whiny.
    bradu1, SK122387 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    10-02-13 01:25 AM
    That whole "open your mind up" to what a phone to be is just fluff and bs. You just mentioned miracast...guess what the z10 I bought beginning of the year at launch DOES NOT have that capability. So not only is blackberry behind in the app department..but I already have outdated hardware. But don't worry according to Alec and blackberry I will still have these imaginary mobile computing capabilities
    What gave you the impression that you were going to get miracast at the time of buying the phone? Nothing. Its not a software feature they are holding back intentionally, which other vendors DO do for both software and hardware (not for miracast, but other features). By your logic, to make you happy, BlackBerry could not introduce new features, for what, a year? Then people would be so mad it wasn't introduced before! I don't understand why people keep getting so upset over so called outdated specs when all kinds of people are buying much lower spec'd phones by the millions. If a phone isn't the absolute fastest phone, is it outdated? How many features that your Z10 has that the newest 5S doesn't have? Just enjoy the experience.
    SK122387 likes this.
    10-02-13 01:41 AM
    No no. If all you took away from my post was me somehow calling this forum "mine," then I can't imagine how many other posts and other things you've gravely misread or misinterpreted.
    I suspect this forum is populated by many current and ex employees, as well as investors and fans. Many of the people who criticise were on the inside busting a gut to deliver product. They saw how their efforts were wasted by endless management **** ups and incompetence. Now they're about to be fired. Perhaps it's not THAT puzzling why some are critical?
    10-02-13 01:43 AM
    So, basically you're complaining about other people posting on "your" forum. How does one spell jawohl, comrade?

To remain on topic, OP, I agree with your assessment of Alec - Thunderbuck has raised a couple of valid points that have softened my stance against him - mostly by pointing out that the main apps (or lack thereof) rests with Marty Mallick's department.

Oh, and be careful about referring to anyone here as a "fanboy". I got an infraction the other day for just that.
    "Fanboy"? I'll cop to that :-)

You're entitled to your frustration, and you're entitled to express it. I'm just mystified at how anyone could take BlackBerry's decline so personally.. I mean, I hold shares, and these guys' miscalculations have lost me real money. There's a lot of stuff I would have liked them to do better, and I'd like to think that under the right circumstances they might be able to turn it around. But if they prove me wrong--and they likely will--I'm not going to bear a grudge. Life's too short.
    grover5, ghundiraj and badiyee like this.
    10-02-13 01:53 AM
    Probably better to say something rather than keeping quiet, but the problem is saying stuff and never delivering on time and when you eventually do, you deliver something incomplete or buggy. At this point very little should be said and a whole lot more done........
    grover5 likes this.
    10-02-13 01:59 AM
    BlackBerry needs to decide whether it is serious about becoming a viable mobile communications company or is only interested in fleecing its shareholders and customers (organisations and consumers). The actions suggest the latter and their words do not inspire confidence.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-02-13 02:00 AM
    Probably better to say something rather than keeping quiet, but the problem is saying stuff and never delivering on time and when you eventually do, you deliver something incomplete or buggy. At this point very little should be said and a whole lot more done........
    At this point BlackBerry has no credibility among people with critical thinking skills. We gave Thorsten the benefit of the doubt when he was appointed chief executive officer in January 2012, but within the first six months it was evident management culture had not changed.

10-02-13 02:04 AM
    "Fanboy"? I'll cop to that :-)

You're entitled to your frustration, and you're entitled to express it. I'm just mystified at how anyone could take BlackBerry's decline so personally.. I mean, I hold shares, and these guys' miscalculations have lost me real money. There's a lot of stuff I would have liked them to do better, and I'd like to think that under the right circumstances they might be able to turn it around. But if they prove me wrong--and they likely will--I'm not going to bear a grudge. Life's too short.
    I didn't call you a fanboy.
    10-02-13 02:06 AM
    What gave you the impression that you were going to get miracast at the time of buying the phone? Nothing. Its not a software feature they are holding back intentionally, which other vendors DO do for both software and hardware (not for miracast, but other features). By your logic, to make you happy, BlackBerry could not introduce new features, for what, a year? Then people would be so mad it wasn't introduced before! I don't understand why people keep getting so upset over so called outdated specs when all kinds of people are buying much lower spec'd phones by the millions. If a phone isn't the absolute fastest phone, is it outdated? How many features that your Z10 has that the newest 5S doesn't have? Just enjoy the experience.
    First off please READ the post I was responding too. I know that's a hard thing to ask. Then you will understand why miracast was bought up. But since you aimlessly jumped in I will respond to your post.

I'm not sure why you're rambling on about "new" features. Miracast is in no way shape or format new. And since you want to throw around the logic word even though you're not using it...please answer me this..if miracast is no big deal why does the q10 AND q5 have it?? Please let me know the "logic" behind that
    10-02-13 02:14 AM
    At this point BlackBerry has no credibility among people with critical thinking skills. We gave Thorsten the benefit of the doubt when he was appointed chief executive officer in January 2012, but within the first six months it was evident management culture had not changed.

Anyone who thinks BlackBerry will deliver anything on time has another thing coming, especially in the U.S.

I've loved everything I've ever bought from BlackBerry, but I'm no fool...I know better than to think anything they announce will be in my hands within a reasonable amount of time. Their fault, the carriers' fault, I don't really care. Waiting is waiting, and no one likes to do it.. I'm like a glutton for punishment though, because every time they announce something... I want that sh1t, wait be damned!
    10-02-13 02:25 AM
    i remember alex sanders whenever i read this thread haha he's probably more honest than alec saunders
    10-02-13 02:27 AM
    What worries me more is not his PR speak, but his incredibly lame vision of 'mobile computing'

From Futuristic Youtube videos to now USB-host and Bluetooth connectivity to fitness devices, 'Mobile computing' has sure taken a nose-dive at BlackBerry.
    10-02-13 02:40 AM
    The Bentley was cool.
    10-02-13 02:58 AM
    The Bentley was cool.
    I hear that's what Thorsten will get on top of his $55 million, and that he will wave goodbye to Waterloo as he speeds away with the top down????

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent and qwerty4ever like this.
    10-02-13 03:12 AM
    mobile computing??
    what the hell does that mean please?? i kept hearing about Mobile computing, but blackberry has done everything except for anything close to the definition of mobile computing.. oh wait, they added a HDMI mini on the phone? it's actually a great feature IF the resolution would adapt to the monitor you connect, i have a Q10, and unless you have the option to zoom in fron t the TV, it's useless, cannot do anything from it...

but i guess we are wrong and blackberry is right, same as the last 4 years...
    10-02-13 04:15 AM
    the sad part of all this, is that i'm losing faith in the company... I'm slowly getting out of the Stockholm Syndrome that kept me from leaving Blackberry over the last years
    Wmsi likes this.
    10-02-13 04:16 AM
    Anyone who thinks BlackBerry will deliver anything on time has another thing coming, especially in the U.S.

I've loved everything I've ever bought from BlackBerry, but I'm no fool...I know better than to think anything they announce will be in my hands within a reasonable amount of time. Their fault, the carriers' fault, I don't really care. Waiting is waiting, and no one likes to do it.. I'm like a glutton for punishment though, because every time they announce something... I want that sh1t, wait be damned!
    I feel just the same way, but the thing is these days more and more extremely loyal BlackBerry consumers or CrackBerry heads as we're called, have had it. To most people, the BlackBerry brand is a hard sell, and now loyal consumers are left frustrated, there's just a limit to how much anyone can stand being disappointed........repeatedly!
    mset likes this.
    10-02-13 04:51 AM
    Still leaves 80,000. Not sure what part of that "completely discredits" mention of the app store (what does that even mean?)

Posted via CB10
    It means don't allow a developer to post 40,000 of the same garbage app and then try and compare the number of apps on bb10 to other platforms at the same stage of launch.

You can spin it however you like, but 40,000 pieces of garbage equal zero. Android has the same problem but any Joe blow can post to the app store. Blackberry actually approved these.

Posted on my Q10.......while on the can
    10-02-13 05:09 AM
    Apps are coming.
    Actually, no they're not. Not any more.

And with regard to people coming here to post negative comments, most of what I see is in response to rants like the one I just edited down. Observing the willful blindness to the facts exhibited by the true believers is like watching a slow motion train wreck that's been happening for months. It's hard to take your eyes off it. And it's hard for people to just sit by and read some of the incredible garbage that's been posted.

I'm going to try to cut back because it's all been said. I continue to hope that BBRY will survive in some form, but it's too late for investors, and as a trader I feel for them first. Especially the ones around here who, along with Mom and Pop investors throughout Canada (though it's always an individual's own responsibility) got their hard earned cash burned up by what seems now to be a management team that just completely dropped the ball on multiple possessions.
    Eumaeus, oilgeo10 and richardat like this.
    10-02-13 05:17 AM
    I doubt anybody is happy with this, but BB wanted numbers, and S4BB was prepared to publish. Call it "app spam" if you want, but every platform sees it to some degree, so I don't get how this is so horrible.
    Because 33% of your apps in the app store are coming from ONE dev.

I can't understand how someone cannot perceive that as a problem.
    As far as I know, this 33 percent figure is unheard of, in any other app store in the recent history.

This is a problem, because the ecosystem is bad anyhow.
    Having 50k junk apps, only from S4BB, out of a total of 150k is beyond ridiculous.

Other points you raise, are valid enough. But this one can't be won.
    The numbers we are presented with, when we look at BBW just make this a losing argument from the get go, that can't be painted in any positif light.

Edit (missclick on the "post" button):

Saying other app stores have the same problem is not true.
    Even if we take the Play Store as an example, we clearly see that the ecosystem as a whole is so much better, and offers so many quality apps, that "app spam" actually isn't that big of a problem per se.

It became one for BlackBerry, because they lack other apps, and at the same time have *at least* 33% of their apps being useless.
    Now add the bad Android ports nobody likes (yes, it gets better with 10.2, but the apps are still not native ones), and the ratio of spam vs quality further tends to increase for the spam.

All of that combined, is a pretty clear sign that BlackBerry didn't do its job well enough, when it comes down to their ecosystem.
    There is exactly no way, to sugar coat this.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-02-13 at 05:35 AM.
    10-02-13 05:18 AM
    Mobile computing? Mobile computing!? BlackBerry doesn't have a clue what computing is, let alone what the mobile part means.

The PlayBook was supposed to get Bluetooth file transfers and USB host support in the BB10 update that never was. The thing that makes me sick is that all that code has been in PBOS for years already but not accessible to users. The BB10 phones didn't get USB host either until what, the Z30?

Is that stuff so hard to do despite Symbian and Android having had it for ages? iOS and WP don't have that because of the walled garden philosophy both embrace.
    richardat likes this.
    10-02-13 05:25 AM
    Dude, he gave you a definition and you quoted it! "devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you". If you choose not to accept the answer, that's your problem.

Looking at their roadmap and SDK additions, this is totally backed up. Geofencing, miracast, NFC, etc. Stop thinking it as a phone, texter, web surfer, and open up to the possibilities of what the phone can do. They even demo'd how a rocking chair could be interfaced to be used in a game. Nearly all of the Tat demo's.

Their whole m2m and QNX also backs this up. Arduino hacking and blue tooth can make your phone control just about anything. Bat mobile! House automation is ripe for full integration to be powerful and useful, and I imagine cars in the next year or two as well.

With geo fencing and bluetooth, there is a s#it ton of stuff that can be done to interact with the world. Hopefully, we're see more of that in the next few months.

Stop trying to pull in the competition, it doesn't need to be mentioned (does Apple ever?). They are trying to open up a new market/world/way of thinking. Move forward and do something powerful, stop being a nit pick and attacking the guy.
    im sick of being told what the phone "can" do. Why doesn't it do it?
    The statements he made are... spin-ish, sure, but not untruthful or offensive. What's with the hostility?
    The whole "mobile computing is the future... window onto the world around them...." is nothing but fabricated PR, self-important nonsense from BlackBerry.

It really translates: "We gonna keep repeating the same vague "vision" we did in 9 months ago hoping people still buy into it!".

It's only so much you can tout before people actually call them on their BS. The majority of BlackBerry users have had enough.
    This vaporous vision of mobile computing, (which other platforms are already doing), is the altar upon which so many BlackBerry employees have been sacrificed.

"We are in the second phase of our transformation plan where we will be assessing our organization from top to bottom to ensure we have the right people in the right roles with the right skill sets to drive new opportunities in mobile computing."

Every time I hear "mobile computing" from BlackBerry, I think of jobs lost.
    The coming of Android 4.2.2. runtime doesn't mean that the big name apps will come to us at all. It means the Android ports (and sideloads) will simply run more smoothly. It doesn't open up the Google Play store or something magical to BlackBerry10 users.

Banking apps are a must if BlackBerry switches its entire focus to business, you are right about that. But if they have any hope of remaining relevant or semi-relevant in the consumer sphere, they still need to be able to say, "Instagram Now Available In BlackBerry World" (and Netflix and whatever else people have been crying over).
    I see a theme in the above posts. Planning ahead never hurts, but living in the now is how to get there. Take the current devices, go on stage and announce what it has and what it can do - literally. The abstract nature of what it can do if I just open my eyes to the possibilities makes my eyes glaze over, and I'm pretty sure I've got company. To be fair, Steve Jobs had the same effect. I'm personally more interested in what's already included and some definite - not probable - future inclusions. BB10 has some great strengths, and sure, it could go places. Right now though, it might be wiser to get something nailed and then surprise people rather than announce goodness and leave people wondering.

Good idea: surprising my wife coming home from work to find I'd taken a day off to hang frames.
    Bad idea: saying "wouldn't the walls look great with pictures? Imagine how it could be..." and then put it off for weeks on end.

This is the truth. Alec is one of the reasons I have no respect for BB managment....yes, all businesses spin information, especially when negative, but Alec and Thor have taken this levels well beyond normal, and frankly, it's juvenile and flat out insulting, It is saying: here is absolutely vacuous spin, that flies in the face of business sense and even common sense....we hope that you are so ignorant and/or so irrational, that you will simply buy into a few buzzwords - that's it....that's all we've got. Now...admittedly, a few here still do, but yes, I don't think the majority do anymore - even here. Bold until Hybrid is a poster-boy (and there are others), who were incredibly BB supporters back when I already thought it was ridiculous - how far do you have to push it before even they are sick of it??

When Alec came on the forum he didn't talk to us, he spouted more of the spin - in a slightly more "personal" style. Last time, I wrote a bit of a scathing - but sincere - reply...he never responded. Spin....out.

I don't imagine he's a necessarily a bad person, though, honestly, he and thor have been so misleading - and seem to do it so easily - that, although it's "just business", one rightfully wonders about their character. I hope they have a bit of trouble looking in the mirror - though I doubt it. I think they roll along in a luxury executive lifestyle in whch this kind of lying is par for the course and probably have a bit of a chuckle and dismissive snort for both the fanboys who buy into their BS, and for us peons who protest! They say this stuff as easily as a dismissive adult, busy talking to hs friends, brushes off a young child.

The public snipes at other execs in other companies (whose help they badly needed), and the childish snipes at customers also hint that the exec team at BB is not a group of particularly kind, mature, thoughtful individuals.....creating riotous havoc on airplanes? Perhaps not. A mix of business graduates and overgrown-nerds, brash, out-of-touch, quick to react, somewhat self-centered and self-entitled? I suspect so - to some degree anyways.

The fact that Alec persists at it, even now, it's not even good spin - it's spin for idiots.

If I had to make some public spin, here's what I'd do:

Hi everyone,

These have been tough days - very tough days. Our responsibility, and goal, was to deliver to you the best products in the industry - the products you need and want. It's obvious now that for many of you, we didn't deliver.

That's our fault, and we are disappointed in ourselves.

Particularly those of us in leadership roles, we didn't just let down our customers, but also our hard-working employees, who look to us to ensure that our products ultimately represent their talents and efforts fully.

We faced many, many different challenges and hardships which contributed to our difficulties, despite our sincere efforts to move forward. This can't be an excuse though, we are in a tough industry, which demands excellence in all ways - we understand that, and we were, and are, committed to it. It's clear now, that the path we chose was not ideal, and we now have to makes changes to get back on the right track. This is tough, but far from impossible. I believe in the talent in this company, I believe we have some great products, I believe we have great ideas to create brand new experiences for our customers - the kind of innovated, polished, first-rate products we should always be delivering.

Despite the struggles, I can assure that our employees aren't about to give up. Just the opposite: we're more determined than ever to make sure the products you get into your hands are the products we were truly imagining for you - and work has already started!

BB is an iconic company, and we aren't going to let it disappear, or be tarnished any longer. Nobody here is going quietly into the night. We misread the industry - but no longer. No more almost-products, no more unfocused, half-hearted efforts.

I want to thank all the BB users we've been fortunate to have over the years. We've been blessed to have an intensely loyal customer base, who have supported BB greatly. We are going to give you many reasons to stay. We're going to give others many reasons to come back! Because the biggest change at BB will not be about strategic business alignments, or market focus, or financing, or inventories....the biggest change will be that we aren't going to let you down again - ever.

Imaginary Alec
    Applause.
    richardat likes this.
    10-02-13 06:01 AM
    Squabbling aside I think all of us have been frustrated by BlackBerry at some point recently. I honestly really like the products they make, I think BlackBerry 10 is one of the cleanest interfaces I've used and I think it's got promise. What I find frustrating is the mixed messages from the company. TH said they had a laser like focus, yet all I've seen them do flounder and be backwards and change their minds. In my opinion, BlackBerry is for business and thereby sometimes regular consumers.

I think they should have commission some amazing business apps. Talk to business people and figure out what they want in a phone. Personally, I would love a quick and efficient way to create and send personalized invoices on the road. I would love to be able to link my phone to my computer in a real way that isn't just syncing. I would love a calendar and scheduling application that is accessible and editable regardless of where you are and what you are doing.

I have poor ideas. But my point is, there is another way to attract customers than angry birds, jnstagran, Netflix and candy crush. Real people do real work and if their phone was a part of that real work and not just an email/calendar entertainment thing I think BlackBerry could have pulled a lot of people. Th said his vision was a phone that linked to a monitor to continue your work, no stand alone cpu needed, all that is possible today. So where is it? Where are the killer professional apps where is the enterprise and worker incentive?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 07:12 AM
    Saunders is responsible for Apps. BlackBerry can't get apps which is a primary reason for their downfall. Time for Saunders to go if you ask me.
    10-02-13 07:18 AM
    All blackberry execs should get fired

all of them
    10-02-13 07:28 AM
184 ... 34567 ...