10-16-13 02:46 PM
184 ... 23456 ...
tools
    "We want people to think of our devices as mobile computing devices. We want them to think of them as a window onto the world around them. We want them to think of them as devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you. "

I have a issue with all the "we want people to think" statements. Guess what Alec, people can think for themselves. Sheesh, these guys never get it.
    Oops. Accidently pressed the heart when I meant to hit quote.

So, someone speaking for the company telling us their plans, what they want to happen, is worse than someone that spends his days coming to a BlackBerry fan site telling everyone that BlackBerry is dead and we should give up and move on to other devices.

This is quite the case of the pot calling the kettle black. The big difference is, we have been asking BlackBerry to speak to us, we WANT to hear from them.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck, SK122387 and badiyee like this.
    10-01-13 10:19 PM
    Yeah, I am impatient with them too, but I have to say that I do not know of ANY OS that is making such fast grounds at the moment.
    This is so true. People tend to forget that BB10 hasn't even been out a year. I've said it several times in several threads, anyone thinking that a brand new os, starting from scratch, will immediately have all the apps of other os's that have been out for nearly a decade are stupid. We had already seen what happened with developers and the PlayBook. We saw what happened with Palm. But for some reason people thought BB10 would flip a light switch and boom, everything you ever wanted would already be there? Really?

I had set expectations when I bought my Z. I knew I'd be getting the best communications device out there. And after having owned and used Apple devices for years, and android devices for the past year until recently when I got rid of them, I can tell you I did. I have the best browser. I see the real internet. Not some dumbed down mobile version. I have the clearest calls I've ever had. And I have every must have app that I personally require. I have the most efficient way of navigating a device out there. What I didn't expect was to see new fun, quality apps, coming in to the app store on a nearly daily basis, which has been happening. I didn't expect that we would see any top name apps within the first year, and look, Evernote just slid in unannounced, flipboard is coming and already on Z30, many more on here already, and more on the way.

Go ahead and cry about the apps you're missing. My opinion, do a little research before you buy. Make your buying decisions wisely. And if you make a mistake, don't blame it on other people. I mistakenly bought 3 android tabs in the last year, each time thinking I'd be getting something useful to me. Each time I was wrong. I didn't run to android central and whine and complain and cry about it and beg for the downfall of the green robot. I returned the ones I could, and gave away the one I couldn't. My bad. My tears are on my own shoulders and no one else's. And yet my shoulders are soaked from the tears of all these other that had ridiculous expectations, who either didn't do the slightest bit of research before they bought, or weren't capable of understanding what was out there for everyone to see.

BB10 is a great platform. In terms of user experience it is world's better than anything else I've used. Thousands of world's better. It's missing apps. Apps are coming. Is it for everyone, will everyone think the way I think? Obviously not. I for one can't understand how you could hold a BB10 device and use it, and then turn around and decide to go with another device. But people are, and now, whether it's by choice or necessity, BlackBerry sees it too, and their trying to adjust their strategy to focus on a core business and people like me. They aren't going to waste time on the people that are never going to come over. And they're getting raked over the coals in a BlackBerry fan site for this??

Those posters that feel the need to come here every day and curse BlackBerry and the people that use them, those that seem to get pleasure from disrupting others conversations, and feel that spouting negativity is a good use of the limited time we have on this earth, here's some news, BlackBerry isn't going to try to market to you anymore. They get it, you're not going to buy. They're moving on to those that will, and are cutting the fat that they have been wasting on you all along. So you shouldn't be bothered by them anymore. Please return the favor.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 10:54 PM
    Oops. Accidently pressed the heart when I meant to hit quote.

So, someone speaking for the company telling us their plans, what they want to happen, is worse than someone that spends his days coming to a BlackBerry fan site telling everyone that BlackBerry is dead and we should give up and move on to other devices.

This is quite the case of the pot calling the kettle black. The big difference is, we have been asking BlackBerry to speak to us, we WANT to hear from them.

Posted via CB10
    Aww... and here I was thinking you'd finally seen the light. I don't mind Blackberry executives talking at all. In fact, I'd welcome it. If it weren't such patronising, arrogant drivel.
    10-01-13 11:19 PM
    This is so true. People tend to forget that BB10 hasn't even been out a year. I've said it several times in several threads, anyone thinking that a brand new os, starting from scratch, will immediately have all the apps of other os's that have been out for nearly a decade are stupid. We had already seen what happened with developers and the PlayBook. We saw what happened with Palm. But for some reason people thought BB10 would flip a light switch and boom, everything you ever wanted would already be there? Really?

I had set expectations when I bought my Z. I knew I'd be getting the best communications device out there. And after having owned and used Apple devices for years, and android devices for the past year until recently when I got rid of them, I can tell you I did. I have the best browser. I see the real internet. Not some dumbed down mobile version. I have the clearest calls I've ever had. And I have every must have app that I personally require. I have the most efficient way of navigating a device out there. What I didn't expect was to see new fun, quality apps, coming in to the app store on a nearly daily basis, which has been happening. I didn't expect that we would see any top name apps within the first year, and look, Evernote just slid in unannounced, flipboard is coming and already on Z30, many more on here already, and more on the way.

Go ahead and cry about the apps you're missing. My opinion, do a little research before you buy. Make your buying decisions wisely. And if you make a mistake, don't blame it on other people. I mistakenly bought 3 android tabs in the last year, each time thinking I'd be getting something useful to me. Each time I was wrong. I didn't run to android central and whine and complain and cry about it and beg for the downfall of the green robot. I returned the ones I could, and gave away the one I couldn't. My bad. My tears are on my own shoulders and no one else's. And yet my shoulders are soaked from the tears of all these other that had ridiculous expectations, who either didn't do the slightest bit of research before they bought, or weren't capable of understanding what was out there for everyone to see.

BB10 is a great platform. In terms of user experience it is world's better than anything else I've used. Thousands of world's better. It's missing apps. Apps are coming. Is it for everyone, will everyone think the way I think? Obviously not. I for one can't understand how you could hold a BB10 device and use it, and then turn around and decide to go with another device. But people are, and now, whether it's by choice or necessity, BlackBerry sees it too, and their trying to adjust their strategy to focus on a core business and people like me. They aren't going to waste time on the people that are never going to come over. And they're getting raked over the coals in a BlackBerry fan site for this??

Those posters that feel the need to come here every day and curse BlackBerry and the people that use them, those that seem to get pleasure from disrupting others conversations, and feel that spouting negativity is a good use of the limited time we have on this earth, here's some news, BlackBerry isn't going to try to market to you anymore. They get it, you're not going to buy. They're moving on to those that will, and are cutting the fat that they have been wasting on you all along. So you shouldn't be bothered by them anymore. Please return the favor.

Posted via CB10
    It must really burn you true believers up to have people here with a differing opinion to you huh? The great thing about living outside Stalinist Russia is the fact you don't get to say where or when people can post. You actually don't have to read or respond to any post. Stay inside with the unicorns and rainbows, or not.
    10-01-13 11:23 PM
    Bb's problem is they are waiting for developers to develop the apps. They should actually commissioned a few!! E.g. Password keeper /travel are all awesome apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 11:24 PM
    What can you expect? Someone high up from BB isn't going to say how terrible everything is actually going.

All of the things mentioned is PR garbage talk. "Interact with the world around you" I don't need a phone for that though. "Do interesting and powerful things?" I mean... no. I have seen some demo's of TAT stuff and demos of BB stuff that are ACTUALLY interesting. NONE of those things ever seem to make it to the actual devices. It's just like when people say they want to engage and synergize with collaborative partners... it doesn't mean anything.
    EXACTLY!!!!

How many TAT, QNX, PlayBook (zomg, so many) and other such freaking AWESOME demonstrations that we have seen WORKING FLAWLESSLY and not seem them come to the device.

I think BlackBerry should look back at their CATELOGUE of sexy software and release some of it!!!!

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10
    dentynefire likes this.
    10-01-13 11:28 PM
    "The platform itself is a palette, it's a palette of capabilities. We're not the artists. We're the makers of the paint."
    -----------

Well, apparently that "palette of capabilities" has produced ~47,000 obscure city guides and e-books so far, under the watchful eye of this paint dispenser.
    10-01-13 11:30 PM
    It must really burn you true believers up to have people here with a differing opinion to you huh? The great thing about living outside Stalinist Russia is the fact you don't get to say where or when people can post. You actually don't have to read or respond to any post. Stay inside with the unicorns and rainbows, or not.
    I have no problem with different opinions. That's what conversations are made from. The constant whining, the constant non-productive complaining, the repetitive commentary where the commentator seems to think they had an original thought... the drivel that we have to wade through to get to valid points and comments, that gets very tiresome.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 11:33 PM
    I have no problem with different opinions. That's what conversations are made from. The constant whining, the constant non-productive complaining, the repetitive commentary where the commentator seems to think they had an original thought... the drivel that we have to wade through to get to valid points and comments, that gets very tiresome.

Posted via CB10
    Very true. That's free society though, I guess.
    10-01-13 11:41 PM
    EXACTLY!!!!

How many TAT, QNX, PlayBook (zomg, so many) and other such freaking AWESOME demonstrations that we have seen WORKING FLAWLESSLY and not seem them come to the device.

I think BlackBerry should look back at their CATELOGUE of sexy software and release some of it!!!!

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10
    @KevinNugent... ^this is a perfect example, of something that is not positive towards BlackBerry, and is a valid point. This would make for a productive discussion. Notice no mention of unicorns or rainbows, nothing snide or condescending. Someone making a point without trying to be disruptive.

@Brutal Efficiency, I agree, I so wish they'd release TAT on BB10! That would shut everyone up!

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 11:43 PM
    @KevinNugent... ^this is a perfect example, of something that is not positive towards BlackBerry, and is a valid point. This would make for a productive discussion. Notice no mention of unicorns or rainbows, nothing snide or condescending. Someone making a point without trying to be disruptive.

@Brutal Efficiency, I agree, I so wish they'd release TAT on BB10! That would shut everyone up!

Posted via CB10
    In fairnness, he's also not suggesting that you leave the forum, like you did.
    10-01-13 11:49 PM
    Aww... and here I was thinking you'd finally seen the light. I don't mind Blackberry executives talking at all. In fact, I'd welcome it. If it weren't such patronising, arrogant drivel.
    Wow. I had no idea that Alec's intent was to offend you so deeply. He clearly owes you an apology.
    10-01-13 11:52 PM
    The whole "mobile computing is the future... window onto the world around them...." is nothing but fabricated PR, self-important nonsense from BlackBerry.

It really translates: "We gonna keep repeating the same vague "vision" we did in 9 months ago hoping people still buy into it!".

It's only so much you can tout before people actually call them on their BS. The majority of BlackBerry users have had enough.
    This is the truth. Alec is one of the reasons I have no respect for BB managment....yes, all businesses spin information, especially when negative, but Alec and Thor have taken this levels well beyond normal, and frankly, it's juvenile and flat out insulting, It is saying: here is absolutely vacuous spin, that flies in the face of business sense and even common sense....we hope that you are so ignorant and/or so irrational, that you will simply buy into a few buzzwords - that's it....that's all we've got. Now...admittedly, a few here still do, but yes, I don't think the majority do anymore - even here. Bold until Hybrid is a poster-boy (and there are others), who were incredibly BB supporters back when I already thought it was ridiculous - how far do you have to push it before even they are sick of it??

When Alec came on the forum he didn't talk to us, he spouted more of the spin - in a slightly more "personal" style. Last time, I wrote a bit of a scathing - but sincere - reply...he never responded. Spin....out.

I don't imagine he's a necessarily a bad person, though, honestly, he and thor have been so misleading - and seem to do it so easily - that, although it's "just business", one rightfully wonders about their character. I hope they have a bit of trouble looking in the mirror - though I doubt it. I think they roll along in a luxury executive lifestyle in whch this kind of lying is par for the course and probably have a bit of a chuckle and dismissive snort for both the fanboys who buy into their BS, and for us peons who protest! They say this stuff as easily as a dismissive adult, busy talking to hs friends, brushes off a young child.

The public snipes at other execs in other companies (whose help they badly needed), and the childish snipes at customers also hint that the exec team at BB is not a group of particularly kind, mature, thoughtful individuals.....creating riotous havoc on airplanes? Perhaps not. A mix of business graduates and overgrown-nerds, brash, out-of-touch, quick to react, somewhat self-centered and self-entitled? I suspect so - to some degree anyways.

The fact that Alec persists at it, even now, it's not even good spin - it's spin for idiots.

If I had to make some public spin, here's what I'd do:

Hi everyone,

These have been tough days - very tough days. Our responsibility, and goal, was to deliver to you the best products in the industry - the products you need and want. It's obvious now that for many of you, we didn't deliver.

That's our fault, and we are disappointed in ourselves.

Particularly those of us in leadership roles, we didn't just let down our customers, but also our hard-working employees, who look to us to ensure that our products ultimately represent their talents and efforts fully.

We faced many, many different challenges and hardships which contributed to our difficulties, despite our sincere efforts to move forward. This can't be an excuse though, we are in a tough industry, which demands excellence in all ways - we understand that, and we were, and are, committed to it. It's clear now, that the path we chose was not ideal, and we now have to makes changes to get back on the right track. This is tough, but far from impossible. I believe in the talent in this company, I believe we have some great products, I believe we have great ideas to create brand new experiences for our customers - the kind of innovated, polished, first-rate products we should always be delivering.

Despite the struggles, I can assure that our employees aren't about to give up. Just the opposite: we're more determined than ever to make sure the products you get into your hands are the products we were truly imagining for you - and work has already started!

BB is an iconic company, and we aren't going to let it disappear, or be tarnished any longer. Nobody here is going quietly into the night. We misread the industry - but no longer. No more almost-products, no more unfocused, half-hearted efforts.

I want to thank all the BB users we've been fortunate to have over the years. We've been blessed to have an intensely loyal customer base, who have supported BB greatly. We are going to give you many reasons to stay. We're going to give others many reasons to come back! Because the biggest change at BB will not be about strategic business alignments, or market focus, or financing, or inventories....the biggest change will be that we aren't going to let you down again - ever.

Imaginary Alec
    10-01-13 11:53 PM
    "The platform itself is a palette, it's a palette of capabilities. We're not the artists. We're the makers of the paint."
    -----------

Well, apparently that "palette of capabilities" has produced ~47,000 obscure city guides and e-books so far, under the watchful eye of this paint dispenser.
    I doubt anybody is happy with this, but BB wanted numbers, and S4BB was prepared to publish. Call it "app spam" if you want, but every platform sees it to some degree, so I don't get how this is so horrible.
    badiyee likes this.
    10-01-13 11:54 PM
    In fairnness, he's also not suggesting that you leave the forum, like you did.
    Strange. I don't recall suggesting you or anyone else specifically leave the forum. If you identify yourself as a poster that provides no substance and only whines and complains and trash talks other posters, that's on you. Of course I have opinions on who many posters are that do these activities, simply based on the few threads I've shared space with them, but I won't point anyone out here in the forums. That would be making it personal which is against the rules. Such as claiming someone must believe in unicorns and rainbows if they don't wholly agree with my personal interpretation, which is of course totally biased based on my personal thoughts and feelings, of things that are occurring. The mods have made it very clear such personal attacks won't be tolerated.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 and badiyee like this.
    10-02-13 12:10 AM
    Strange. I don't recall suggesting you or anyone else specifically leave the forum. If you identify yourself as a poster that provides no substance and only whines and complains and trash talks other posters, that's on you. Of course I have opinions on who many posters are that do these activities, simply based on the few threads I've shared space with them, but I won't point anyone out here in the forums. That would be making it personal which is against the rules. Such as claiming someone must believe in unicorns and rainbows if they don't wholly agree with my personal interpretation, which is of course totally biased based on my personal thoughts and feelings, of things that are occurring. The mods have made it very clear such personal attacks won't be tolerated.

Posted via CB10
    Once again you are getting caught up in pointless battles. Why not post in the positive news threads?
    10-02-13 12:22 AM
    Once again you are getting caught up in pointless battles. Why not post in the positive news threads?
    Why do I keep pressing that heart!? Dang I think I need sleep.

Anyway, I do post in positive threads. They just don't tend to stay that way for long before the bandwagon comes in, derails them, and overtakes them.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387, MarsupilamiX and badiyee like this.
    10-02-13 12:30 AM
    wow, had no idea about the 46,000+ map apps. completely discredits any mention of the app store and quantity of apps on the platform. i'm actually disappointed.
    Still leaves 80,000. Not sure what part of that "completely discredits" mention of the app store (what does that even mean?)

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 and grover5 like this.
    10-02-13 12:35 AM
    Why do I keep pressing that heart!? Dang I think I need sleep.

Anyway, I do post in positive threads. They just don't tend to stay that way for long before the bandwagon comes in, derails them, and overtakes them.

Posted via CB10
    I just think it's funny how the same people, who clearly don't care one way or another about BlackBerry, keep posting these threads. They always thinly veil their hatred/disgust for management/BlackBerry/BlackBerry fans "in denial" with something about how they've been "longtime users and can't bear to watch management destroy this once-great company." It's a really great tactic that our friends over at BGR like to use, but those of us that aren't, I don't know, illiterate, can see through it

I'm not suggesting anyone leave these forums, because by posting these threads, it's pretty clear/sad that they might not have a lot of other things going on in their lives. But at some point, these posters have to ask themselves why they're here, instead of having to be asked by "CrackBerry fanboys."

I used to be a diehard Motorola user........and not once did I go onto some forum of theirs to talk about its mismanagement and downward spiral after I gave up on their products.

For people who have all these big, wonderful, what-BlackBerry-should-be-doing ideas, some people around here really ought to ask themselves: What-should-I-be-doing-other-than-stirring-the-pot-in-a-forum?
    10-02-13 12:42 AM
    I just think it's funny how the same people, who clearly don't care one way or another about BlackBerry, keep posting these threads. They always thinly veil their hatred/disgust for management/BlackBerry/BlackBerry fans "in denial" with something about how they've been "longtime users and can't bear to watch management destroy this once-great company." It's a really great tactic that our friends over at BGR like to use, but those of us that aren't, I don't know, illiterate, can see through it

I'm not suggesting anyone leave these forums, because by posting these threads, it's pretty clear/sad that they might not have a lot of other things going on in their lives. But at some point, these posters have to ask themselves why they're here, instead of having to be asked by "CrackBerry fanboys."

I used to be a diehard Motorola user........and not once did I go onto some forum of theirs to talk about its mismanagement and downward spiral after I gave up on their products.

For people who have all these big, wonderful, what-BlackBerry-should-be-doing ideas, some people around here really ought to ask themselves: What-should-I-be-doing-other-than-stirring-the-pot-in-a-forum?
    So, basically you're complaining about other people posting on "your" forum. How does one spell jawohl, comrade?

To remain on topic, OP, I agree with your assessment of Alec - Thunderbuck has raised a couple of valid points that have softened my stance against him - mostly by pointing out that the main apps (or lack thereof) rests with Marty Mallick's department.

Oh, and be careful about referring to anyone here as a "fanboy". I got an infraction the other day for just that.
    10-02-13 12:50 AM
    He didn't say anything untruthful. Assuming BB doesn't take billion-dollar writedowns every quarter, they do still have the cash to operate. With more devices available to more users (and the prospect of discounted Z10s expanding that base faster), the platform stands a chance to become slooooowly more attractive to developers.
    Stupid question, what constitutes a writedown? If you write down $1b, is that $280 per phone (cost to make), $450 (average selling price), or say $100 if you plan on discounting every phone by $100 to try to sell them (part way between the difference between the first two options)?

The first implies they are sitting on 3.6 million phones that they are considering sunk cost. So they are saying they lost the $1b, but yet they will make most of that back when they discount the phone and sell it?? Or they believe they will lose $1b by having to sell the phones below cost? I can't imagine them not being able to sell the phones at $280 each, direct from the website unlocked.

The second doesn't seem to make sense because they never made that profit so how can they count it as a loss?

In any case unless I'm completely off on what a writedown is, I can't imagine this whole thing as anything but a maneuver to help drive down the stock price for the sale of the company to move ahead.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 12:52 AM
    So, basically you're complaining about other people posting on "your" forum. How does one spell jawohl, comrade?

To remain on topic, OP, I agree with your assessment of Alec - Thunderbuck has raised a couple of valid points that have softened my stance against his - mostly by pointing out that the main apps (or lack thereof) rests with Marty Mallick's department.
    No no. If all you took away from my post was me somehow calling this forum "mine," then I can't imagine how many other posts and other things you've gravely misread or misinterpreted.
    bradu1 and grover5 like this.
    10-02-13 12:55 AM
    No no. If all you took away from my post was me somehow calling this forum "mine," then I can't imagine how many other posts and other things you've gravely misread or misinterpreted.
    Wow.

All I can say is +1

I wish there were capital numbers, just so I could really stress the +1.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 likes this.
    10-02-13 01:02 AM
    Sweet. So now I'm dim as well as not required on your forum.

Don't worry Sean, I know you're harmless.
    10-02-13 01:16 AM
    Wow.

All I can say is +1

I wish there were capital numbers, just so I could really stress the +1.

Posted via CB10
    Please stop trying to derail the post now you guys. Contributions are not mandatory.

This thread is for people who can think without Blackberry's mind control.
    10-02-13 01:18 AM
184 ... 23456 ...